*WARNING: US politics* GP's future

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Nov 10, 2016 12:16 am
szemely says:
I will not get involved in any type of political discussion here other than to say that I'm very disappointed in the outcome of the election.
I'd like to second this.

Additionally, as many have said, no one would judge you for requesting donations. I'd be more than happy to help if it meant keeping the site around.
Nov 10, 2016 4:01 am
Disappointed however I'm hopeful. I have to be. We have to be. My wife is a Filipina immigrant that has a green card and doesn't want to give up nationality from Philippines. As for now we are good but that can change. However then again it cannot just like Trump's promises Therr was a split in the GOP so things will have to go through same process. 2 years and we can do more elections.

As much as we all may dislike the outcome we have to at least let him try otherwise our system is just broken. Within a year we can get a fear by 2 if bad hopefully we can get back some seats.

For your situation I do. Ot have answers other then maybe wrote your mayor or congressman. Never hurts to try.
Last edited November 10, 2016 4:02 am
Nov 10, 2016 5:21 am
Having gone through the immigration process myself, I feel your pain. Everything visa related is awful.

Trump doesn't take office until January, and making promises on the campaign trail is much different to actually turning all that hot air into legislation (which surely is an act of alchemy if ever there was one). I would imagine that once the dust clears, all of the elected politicians have to be concerned about getting themselves reelected, and may not rush to help Trump since he trashed the Republican party after getting the nomination. I expect there to be a power struggle between Trump and the party that got him elected so the first few months of his tenure might be interesting to watch. All that being said, I would imagine that prizes like the repealing the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) will be much more tempting the Republicans since they have, basically, everything under their control. In the short, (I sincerely hope) you're probably safe. As Handle said, there's also going to be that two year window before the next election. Time will tell, but I think GP is well-supported, and people appear to be ready to step in where they can. Count me in as well.

Courage! and take care of yourself/yourselves.
Nov 10, 2016 12:59 pm
I want to clarify: the work permit I have is due to an executive action, so it's as simple as Trump signing another executive action to revoke it. So this is something he can do, and has promised to do, near immediately, along with all the other executive orders the Republican party disagrees with.
Nov 10, 2016 2:25 pm
I too am deeply saddened by the election. I live in Texas which is right now a slam dunk for the Republicans. Yet, I went out and voted for Clinton. It's hard to believe that a man through hate speech got elected. This country is more divided than ever along racial lines. Hard to believe in this day and age.

The economy is improving and yet, Trump will get the accolades for the improvement. We'll see the revocation of consumer protections such as the Dodd-Frank Act which prevents the banks from fleecing ordinary consumers. Just wait. History has a funny way of repeating itself.

We'll see the revocations of most of the environmental protections which I am especially for. Yeah for more global warming!!! Just read that he's probably going to be appointing an oil tycoon. Woo hoo!!!

I would take a wait and see on Dump's executive action - he could "Grandfather" it. Keep us posted.
Last edited November 10, 2016 2:26 pm
Nov 12, 2016 4:27 am
Anyways, apparently Trump made this website where people can go in and offer him their suggestion on how to help make America great again. Might interest a lot of you guys here...
greatagain.gov
Last edited November 12, 2016 4:28 am
Nov 12, 2016 8:46 pm
Keleth, I am very sorry to hear of your predicament. I cannot imagine how much that must weigh on you daily, the uncertainty of your home and future. I wanted to add my voice to those supporting you and offering to help with the bills of the site, although I know that is the least of your troubles.
Nov 13, 2016 12:43 am
I'm stunned to hear the problems you're facing with this Keleth. I echo all the comments above and the site deserves the upkeep to be taken on by players and GM's. Get those Paypal links up there bright and clear for everyone!
Nov 13, 2016 1:19 am
MoMo says:
szemely says:
I will not get involved in any type of political discussion here other than to say that I'm very disappointed in the outcome of the election.
I'd like to second this.

Additionally, as many have said, no one would judge you for requesting donations. I'd be more than happy to help if it meant keeping the site around.
Thirded! There are so many things I'd like to comment on, but they will only make me angrier and I'd like to keep things civil.
Nov 17, 2016 8:52 am
Can't hurt to have another voice of solidarity. I'm fortunate to have been born here, but my entire family emmigrated from Cuba in the 60s. It was an easier time then to gain citizenship, but it still wasn't necessarily easy.

I totally empathize with your struggle and can't imagine the difficulty of leaving the home you've known for most of your life. I appreciate the optimism from some of the others, but I agree with your assessment on this, Keleth. DACA is done and I think he even listed revoking those executive orders on his "First 100 Days" plan. It really is top of the agenda and an easy win for him.

I would also happily kick in money to the site, but honestly, this has to be secondary to actually getting your life in order. I appreciate all the work you've put in and would be sad to lose this great site, but those concerns pale in comparison to what you're going through.

Would it be possible to pass this off to someone else and let them be a steward until you can hopefully resolve some things?
Nov 24, 2016 2:06 pm
I'm a highschooler who lived in Peru for 4 years, so though I think I would take Trump over Hillary, I heartily disagree with him on his immigration views. America was founded as a free country where those who have had enough of their own countries can come for refuge, and I have seen from the other side how hard America makes it to get into this "free country" (Disclaimer: only partially free after you turn 35, but still significantly better than everywhere else so we can call it free. Or maybe not, but we'll still call it free. Because we feel like it.) I have had so many Peruvian friends rejected who are way more productive and hard-working than so many Americans I know (you all know how teens are - I mean, let's just be real) who have access to this "free country" because they were born here. Living in Peru really broadened my specturms, and I totally understand the stupidity of the American immigration system. I apologize for our country, Keleth, and hope that you can continue to keep this site up. And if you can't do it alone, you have built yourself an amazing structure to hold you up, because we'd all be willing to do it.
Nov 24, 2016 2:47 pm
CouchLord0510 says:
(...) though I think I would take Trump over Hillary, I heartily disagree with him on his immigration views.
Well, given the fact that Trump himself admitted he was playing a character during the electoral race and that his most radical immigration stances are no longer on his website, I'd say this pretty much validates my theory that he approached this race from the point of view of a businessman who thinks "there is no such thing as bad publicity". Keleth is going to be fine. Turns out Trump only wants to deport illegal immigrants who commits crime in the U.S. (which I'm pretty sure is not Keleth's case).
I also can't stop laughing my ass off about the fact that Trump won despite Hillary committing massive electoral fraud... Guess that sometimes, the system does work...
Last edited November 24, 2016 2:47 pm
Dec 16, 2016 3:08 am
YAY! I kind of wondered if he was doing that; he was acting like such a moron that I thought "surely he can't be serious."
Dec 16, 2016 3:58 am
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c3/0a/94/c30a94afd3ee548ea1182a5f5b2cc3c3.jpg

This is the reason why I, for the first time in my life, tune into the nightly news- frankly I find American politics right now downright hilarious. Is this the United States or the latest Netflix series? I agree that Trump is an abomination to the founding fathers. I also say this considering I have absolutely no patriotism whatsoever, don't speak politic, nor have I ever voted. The minute politicians write their own speeches and political advertising is banned, I'm there behind the curtain. That's never going to happen right?

Keleth, allow me to try and allay your fears, at least in my mind. I am the child of Cuban immigrants, somehow escaping the mad patriotism (swinging one way or the other) that is inherent on my island. I was born and raised in nosebleed northern Jersey, watching New York from teh windows facing the backyard. My Dad saw the towers go down from the top of his factory. My cousin still has respitory problems because she was in the building across the street. We are some serious Jersey immigrants and thus basically grew up watching Trump treat New York City like his own personal litter box. He is a blow-hard and a gas bag and I have been hearing screaming rants and lies from him for years (and therefore gods-damn him for finding social media). On that note, dude, the guys from Queens, how bad can it be?

To you personally Keleth, let me tell you this. The man with the bad-hair-lifetime is a bottom line business man with a bagpipe for a mouth. But its about business. He is so much about business that he will probably jeopardize his own presidency over his greed. Thus think of it this way, greedy men keep what is valuable and will not let it go. So ask yourself, are you valuable- economically? If you have skills and have been contributing in some shape or form for the last few years you are fine. Obama didn't sign that golden ticket for you if you were not worth something. Ye gods this is a country of immigrants, the guy was raised around immigrants- I say not to worry. Don't worry but be ready and vigilant.

But yes, times are a bit tough as a stay at home Dad of a nuclear-powered 2 year old at the suicide-watch stage in life (why is it when he opens a drawer he takes out the MOST deadliest thing????) but I shall be the Once and Future Donator for GP

I trust and hope that I have made things better for you, as much as this site has made my gaming life so much better.

Wardomo- Oye mano que me dice?

Now let me get to a Company post or my gamers will cry mutiny!
Dec 16, 2016 4:34 am
I found this blip and perhaps article, you have options...
Quote:
My parents brought me to the U.S. when I was a child, and we overstayed our visas. Once I finished high school, I applied for DACA, and I have since graduated from college and gotten a job. However, my work permit runs out in 2017, and Donald Trump has won the U.S. presidency. Newspaper reports all along have been saying that he might cancel the DACA program.
What will that mean for me? I’m terrified of being sent back to my home country—I don’t even speak the language!

Donald Trump has changed what he says about his stance on immigration matters many times, so it’s hard to say for certain whether he would indeed cancel the DACA program. But he certainly has taken a harsh tone on immigration matters, stated at times that he would eliminate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program outright, and criticized his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton for promising amnesty (which DACA is not, in that it does not lead to a green card, but the term "amnesty" is often used loosely by political candidates and the media).

So let’s assume that Trump does wish to eliminate DACA once he becomes president. How will this play out?

First of all, let’s remember that, although the election took place in November of 2016, the new president is not sworn in until January 20, 2017. So, no one’s DACA status is at risk before then.

As for whether Trump has the power to repeal the DACA program, he does. It was created by Executive Order (issued by President Obama rather than an act of Congress), and therefore can be undone by an executive action.

Your work permit should, however, be good until the day it expires. It would be highly unusual for the U.S. government to attempt to renege on an earlier grant of rights such as this.

If the DACA program is gone and your grant has expired, however, you do not have a right to continue living and working in the United States. That does not necessarily mean that removal proceedings will be started against you, however. As tough as Trump’s talk is, a long-time reality of the Department of Homeland Security is that it’s underfunded, and doesn’t have the resources to pursue every undocumented immigrant in the United States. The pool of DACA recipients alone is approximately 700,000 people. Beefing up the funding would require an act of Congress, and could not be done by the president alone—so we really don’t know what will happen with that.

In the current funding situation, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE, the agency charged with apprehending undocumented immigrants) prioritizes criminal and aliens without many ties in the U.S., which could not possibly describe anyone approved for DACA. (And Trump has named criminal aliens as his first priority for deportation, too.) The rest of the undocumented population is still technically at risk of deportation, but ICE may not only ignore them, but might actively close any proceedings against them, using its "prosecutorial discretion."
You would, however, if you continued to live and work in the U.S. after your DACA status ran out, be accruing what’s called "unlawful presence." Legally speaking, this wasn’t an issue for you before you turned 18. But for anyone over 18, accruing more than 180 days of unlawful presence makes you "inadmissible" to the U.S. (unable to receive a visa or green card) for three years. With 365 days of unlawful presence, your inadmissibility period jumps to ten years. Even if you're thinking, "What's the difference, I'm already undocumented," realize that you might, at some point, have an employer who wants to sponsor you for a green card, or might marry a U.S. citizen--in either of which cases, being inadmissible could create serious barriers to going forward with a green card application.

Your best bet at this point may be to renew your DACA and work permit (also called an Employment Authorization Document or EAD) as soon as you're able. Because of delays at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you want to minimize the risk that your renewal will be processed under a Trump administration. The earliest you can apply to renew is 150 days before your expiration date.

Talking to a lawyer about your situation might be a good idea. And know, in any case, that you are not alone. A number of other DACA recipients, and their attorneys and various nonprofit organizations, will be looking for solutions to this issue in response to Donald Trump having won the 2016 election.
Like my priest who married me told me when I told him my wife wanted a divorce, "Get a lawyer."
Last edited December 16, 2016 4:40 am
Jan 17, 2017 5:10 pm
Whoah, shit, that sucks. I'm sorry Keleth. If there's ever a financial issue with the site, please do not hesitate to let the users know. It's a great site and I'm sure many people would be more than happy to help out with any hosting costs etc.
Jan 18, 2017 10:29 pm
I am so sorry Keleth. As a member of the LGBT community, I am utterly terrified of what is coming. If you needed donations or graphic design work done I would be more than willing to contribute what I could.
Jan 20, 2017 3:20 pm
Good luck today, Keleth! We're rooting for Trump to be a campaign promise breaker. (That road is well paved.)
Jan 20, 2017 4:09 pm
DJT may be a liar, unstable, and unqualified, but there are people who have his ear that do know what they're doing. Positions are being filled by people who do have an agenda, Congress has had 8 years of practice in implementing their hostile platforms with little regard for the consequences, and now they have a figurehead who may very well sign off on whatever is put in front of him. The last seat on the SCOTUS remains to be filled and rumors are circulating about who DJT will appoint, and this time Congress wants to do away with the filibusters and delays in confirmation that prevented President Obama from doing the same.

All these things will have a direct impact on myself, my family, and my friends, and that includes anyone I know online in some superficial way (ie you on GP). I think for the first time in my life I will need to get off my ass and exercise my voice by calling my representatives and flooding their voicemails with the request that they oppose whatever hateful policies this administration tries to implement. I would urge that any of you do the same, even if such policies don't directly affect you. I don't think we can afford to assume any longer that anything so blatantly bigoted or racist or *-phobic wouldn't pass into law.
Jan 20, 2017 4:19 pm
I manage an office that works indirectly with a defense contract, nice peaceful cozy job we've all enjoyed for years. This month, new policies have suddenly re-opened the background checks of my employees, and they all immediately noticed this has only happened to our non-white coworkers. Myself and our company are not privy to know the reasons for these investigations for security reasons, and I feel so sick and ashamed to have only the options of complying or not for my now-furious employees. I don't pretend to have a mind for politics, but this shit sucks. Best of luck to you, Keleth.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.