OOC Character Discussion

Nov 15, 2016 1:20 am
Welcome, all to my first REAL attempt at GMing on this site. I have another game with my table top friend to get our fix between sessions but I wanted to flesh out the history of my world a little bit. So I thought what better way than to play it out. This takes place hundreds of years before the time my party is playing, during a tipping point at the start of the Orc Wars.

You can as big or little a role in the war as you would like. Since the outcome of the war is relatively unknown to the world at large anyway you play it will shape how my in-person party will see the history, heck your character may become famous throughout the world and they will discover your accomplishments.

Let us begin with some character discussion.
Nov 15, 2016 2:29 am
Excited to start playing this, especially, the chance to become famous to your in-person party sounds really neat.

Couple of questions:
Is the revised ranger allowed? (Link to the pdf.)
Are you using the common ability score (point buy, standard array, 4d6)?
Nov 15, 2016 2:31 am
I knew I forgot something. Point buy seems to be the easiest method.
Nov 15, 2016 2:36 am
Woo! I love the idea of world-building by playing.

I've got a trio of initial thoughts around character concepts.

Mountain Dwarf Druid (Circle of the Land - Mountain), Clan Crafter as a Mason/Stonecutter as a background. Captured while travelling as part of a Mason caravan for his potential knowledge of Dwarven structures/battlements.
Goliath Cleric (War or Tempest), Mercenary Veteran as a background. Captured after his company was wrecked by a savage orc warband.
Elven Paladin (Oath of the Ancients), Knight of the Order background. Riding out on a solo mission, he fell captive to an orc scouting group.
Last edited November 15, 2016 2:37 am
Nov 15, 2016 3:23 am
I like all of those. Very awesome. If you want my opinion I feel the dwarf would be the best fit in the happenings of the dwarf kingdom Osoram and the orc tribe Gijakafak. That is if you wanted to be more on a side of the war.
The elf would be good as well. You would be a rider from the elf nation of Karaza that stands between the Gijakafak and the Osoram kingdom.
Goliath would be the unknown factor. They are not commonplace, in fact, most have never seen one, and almost nothing is known about them. That choice would allow you the most freedom of world building.
Nov 15, 2016 3:49 am
My general thought with the Goliath is that he is extremely close-lipped about his racial heritage. Cast out from his clan because of his decision to adopt the storm (probably would take him Tempest, given the rarity of Goliaths in this world. A War Cleric would have been lauded in their society and likely wouldn't have left for any real reason). They felt his embracing the chaos of the storm was a harbinger of doom for the tribe. Too dangerous for their limited numbers. He set out from the mountains and joined with a group of Dwarven mercenaries from Osoram. He found solace in their love of the stone and the mountain. They found success in his formidable presence on the field of battle (after all, he's nearly twice their height and would wield a massive cudgel carved with the markings of Kord (or a similar god from the setting, a non-evil deity with the Tempest domain). Keeping him captive would be "easy". They just need staunch enough manacles or something of that nature to keep him from just uprooting things and beating people with the tent-poles.

The dwarf is kind of an easy inclusion in war between orcs and dwarves. As a druid, he could do some pretty nasty things, especially as a dwarf that embraces the land and twisting her to his needs. Not quite sure how he'd deal with being incarcerated. If he has access to some kind of magic while captured, how would he play that out? That's the big question in my head for him. Is he already a druid at the launch of the campaign or would druidic ways come to him while attempting to escape.

The elf is probably my third choice, but it's a slim margin between all of them. Really it would depend a lot on if we need someone that's more of a hearty tankier type person. I think the Dwarf is slightly ahead of the Goliath.
Nov 15, 2016 5:13 am
My character is more or less done, depending on if the revised ranger is allowed or not. Where do you want us to put the backstory?
Nov 15, 2016 7:16 am
Sorry it has taken me so long, I was reading up on the revised ranger, somehow I never knew it existed.
I like a lot of it but Natural Explorer would only work in nature or I can give you a few options to choose from; Urban, Wilderness, Underground terrains as an example. Also there is alot of debate about whirlwind and we would have to dicuss it further when/if it came to that. So if you are ok with those changes I approve.

Dramasailor, I can see that the goliath is your top choice and the story will work great. Mercenaries are fine but would he be willing to tag along with a group of, basically surveyors, on a mission from Osoram. I can make either way work.

I will make a character background thread for each of you once they are approved.
Nov 15, 2016 7:54 am
Ok I made a public forum to post your character backgrounds that the other players will know, pretty much just the stuff said while captured together or just basic knowledgr you want to share. I know I said cooperative, but whats the fun in knowing everything before the movie even starts. I mean thats why we are here right, adveture and discovery?

I hope I did the private ones right, so you should only see two sudforums at the top. Your name and Public.
Nov 15, 2016 7:59 am
Ok this might be stupid to say now but i am drawing a blank on the character, i have multiple idea's in my head but they all kinda sound meh in hy head... i aplied for an eberon game and the idea i really am set on is a warforged, but that im a statue or something that because of some random event had come to life (maybe a paladin or barbarian with the totem spirit path) but that doesnt fit in the setting... so atm im an open book to play everything (exept a bard :P i dont like bards)
Nov 15, 2016 8:07 am
I don't plan on taking whirlwind and I'm failing to see any other changes you made.

Edit: I'll submit my character for you to look at.
Edit 2: I only see two sub-forums, public and HypCo, so it looks like you did it correctly.
Last edited November 15, 2016 9:14 am
Nov 15, 2016 8:34 am
I'm aware of the characters health points. Do you care which method we do, roll for hp or take the average?

Also for the story, what is the situation we are in?
Nov 15, 2016 9:58 am
ok a quick question, is the point buy you want to go to, or is it possible to roll for stats (the usually helps me avoid my min maxing urges :P ) or is the point buy the way you want to go
Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
I want the point buy, but we can have a vote. I dont mind rolling, it just always felt easy for the players to use points.

Strangely I want to roll for it. I like to roll it makes everything more ransom. I didnt want to do too many rolls on the site because it take to much time but if everyone is ok with it lets roll.
Nov 15, 2016 3:23 pm
One of my favorite methods that I've seen is a mix of the two (ish). You throw one set of 4d6 drop low. Then you pick either your rolled set or point buy. That way, no one ends up severely underpowered, but there's a chance that people end up super heroic.

Either way, I'm down. It'll be fun regardless. :D
Nov 15, 2016 4:49 pm
I would like to do either, but obviously no one can go below 8 so rolling 4 1's will not destroy you. I'm not that mean.
Edit1: And by that I mean one or the other not the choosing method.
Nov 15, 2016 4:57 pm
Given that we'll not have sub 8s, I vote roll away!
Nov 15, 2016 5:46 pm
Hi, thanks for the add - just to let you know I can see all of the other characters sub forums as well as the public one
Nov 15, 2016 5:48 pm
You just joined I need to admin you.
Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm
DM_Apexwolf says:
You just joined I need to admin you.
Ah, figured it'd be something like that but thought it best to say something rather than make assumptions :)

I'd prefer rolling for stats to be honest, not 100% sure what I want to play yet, gonna have a think about it in a couple of hours once we've got our little girl to bed.

One question is would we have met before now or have we only met since we were captured?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.