Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Aug 21, 2015 2:31 am
How deep does this go...? Leth wonders to himself as he follows the frater silently through the catacombs.
Aug 21, 2015 3:32 am
The Frater takes you into a long chamber with crypts cut into the walls, sealed with boulders.

"These are where the first High Priests of Nethuns were laid to rest," he says. "The crypt you seek is here."

Most of the sealing stones are engraved with a few words: names, titles, lineage, dates. The Frater leads you to one that is marked with only a single glyph the size of a human hand: the symbol of the Six-Pronged Crown.
Aug 21, 2015 2:44 pm
Felor makes a silent prayer to Fjorgyn to show him the truth behind this mystery, before carefully examining the crypt entrance and surroundings for anything of import.

Rolls

Cast Guidance on myself - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Investigation skill check - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm
Fjorgyn's guidance does not seem to be able to reach Felor this deep into the charnel house of a foreign god.

Felor scrutinizes the crypt, but nothing seems out of place. The entrance is about three feet wide by four feet high. The seal is a block of solid limestone, faint chisel marks still show in the symbol.
Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm
So... the men came down here and just stared at the crypt... what were they doing? Praying, perhaps?

Leth asks, "Do you know whose tomb this is?"

...Maybe they were even communicating somehow with the spirit of... whoever it is that's buried here. But I wouldn't begin to know how to do that myself... nor am I sure that I want to...

Leth inspects the area to see if it looks like anyone had been through this area recently. As old and unused as this appeared to be, surely there's a thick layer of dust and cobwebs that covers everything. Leth starts looking around to see if perhaps there are any areas that had been disturbed: Footprints, cleaned surfaces, that sort of thing.

Also idk if I could do this, but is there some kind of check I could make to see if Leth can perceive any kind of spiritual presence around them? Like a ghost or spirit or something? And is there a way he could communicate with it? I honestly have no idea how that would work or if it's even possible hahaha
Last edited August 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Rolls

Investigation, I presume - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Aug 21, 2015 7:33 pm
Vad's overwhelming boredom suddenly vanishes upon seeing the crown. "Maybe this wasn't a wasted trip after all."
Aug 21, 2015 9:55 pm
"Nobody knows whose tomb this is," the Frater says. "No explanation of that symbol exists in our records. It has been speculated that it belongs to a king of ancient Sthombo, as there are other nobles entombed here...but the kings of ancient Sthombo wore simple circlets, not pointed crowns." He shrugs.

The dust is not so thick here, nor the ground so infrequently traversed, that Leth can make out any footprints or disturbances that carry any significance. Nor does any examination involving his physical senses reveal any spirit or entity willing to communicate.
Aug 24, 2015 7:30 am
Leth approaches Felor and says quietly, "Perhaps there was more going on here than just what was physically seen - maybe they were communicating with some long-departed spirit that sleeps here? I don't have much experience in these matters, unfortunately, so I do not know how to search for clues outside of the physical."
Aug 24, 2015 4:31 pm
Felor nods. "A tomb this old... could well be haunted by a spirit or somesuch."
Felor tries to think of some incantation or ritual that might reveal any spirit's presence.

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Aug 24, 2015 5:47 pm
Felor could try singing Fjorgyn's song for lost and wandering spirits. It's traditionally sung to call home those who died far afield in the wilderness, but it's all that comes to mind.
Aug 25, 2015 9:18 pm
"There is an old Dwarven song... one that Fjorgyn's disciples would sing to call home lost spirits. It is the ðearle scearp - 'the chant for the wandering soul'."
Felor begins to sing a Dwarven prayer in a low voice.
Aug 25, 2015 9:21 pm
"Well then," Frater Thrumius says after allowing you a few moments to regard the tomb, "you've seen it. I suppose we should be heading back up now, hmm?"
Aug 25, 2015 9:46 pm
Felor sighs and looks at Leth and Vad.
"Not much to be found here, it seems. Unless you have any other ideas?"

Ignore this I guess, I think we continued as if Felor was still singing?
Last edited August 26, 2015 1:17 am
Aug 25, 2015 9:59 pm
Vad's temporary enthusiasm wanes as no further information is divulged about the origin of the six pronged crown. In a hush voice Vad answers, "Sorry, Felor. Without actually being able to get in there, I'm not sure what else we can do here."
Aug 25, 2015 10:58 pm
The Frater becomes alarmed as Felor begins to sing.

"What--what is that?" he asks, his hands fluttering in the early stages of mild panic. "What are you doing? Stop that. Don't sing."
Aug 26, 2015 1:17 am
Felor's singing falters for a second before resuming despite the Frater's protests. He briefly considers stopping, but it would be disrespectful to leave the chant unfinished.
Aug 26, 2015 3:57 pm
Leth raises an eyebrow at the Frater.

"He means no harm... it's simply a token of respect."
Aug 26, 2015 4:41 pm
The Frater seems on the verge of trying to force Felor to stop singing, and only uncertainty about how to properly go about it keeps him still. When the song ends, he lets out a breath, and then rather sharply says: "All right. Enough of that, now. Time to go. Follow me, please."

Everybody make a Perception check!
Aug 26, 2015 4:42 pm
:D

edit- D:
Last edited August 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Aug 26, 2015 10:02 pm
Vad gives Felor a fake round of applause (no noise, just a clapping motion) as he seems to enjoy how uncomfortable the whole situation made the Frater.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(10) = 10

load next

Thread locked