Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 20, 2017 10:33 pm
Vhezyen appreciates the competition between the ferrymen, opting for the 3 copper option as he approaches the crossing.

Deducted 3 copper.
Jan 20, 2017 11:19 pm
Domarc watched the card game with interest, but did not join in. Wouldn't do to win too much away from this crew, when we don't know how long we will be with them, he thinks, remembering the outcome of some of his other gambling ventures.

With people slipping off to visit the city, Domarc decides to join them, heading off to see what can be seen in Utwar - looking mostly for a tavern where there might be song and story, or appreciation of the same.
Jan 20, 2017 11:25 pm
The ferryman collects his 3 CP and takes Vhezyen to the other side of the river.

There's a small barrack where the palisade meets the cliff side, with a stone lighthouse high up on the cliff itself, overlooking the city and the bay. A few rows of rustic houses sit near the edge of the sands. People on the beach catch crabs and build a fire in a sandpit.

The area around the entrance to Dagon's temple is relatively bare. The façade itself is easily eighty feet high, with columns carved with a scale pattern on either side, surmounted by a semicircular pediment with a monstrous fish surrounded by various other creatures of the sea, along with humans in a worshipful posture, carved in relief on the tympanum. The doors set in the façade stand open, but there is no-one coming or going from the temple.

Zangua, did you want to play these guys for money? I assumed it was cards for cards' sake, these rowers are pretty lean in the wallet iykwim.

Domarc, did you want to end up at the Bitten Sail with Mordred and Bagu, or a different tavern?
Jan 20, 2017 11:31 pm
Zangua is playing just to pass the time, socialize with the crew, and remain on site in case Bagu comes back with news. He, too, is rather thin in the coin purse.
Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm
I'm fine with winding up at the Bitten Sail; it sounds like the first place I might come across anyways...
Jan 20, 2017 11:47 pm
Domarc inadvertently follows in Mordred's footsteps to the Bitten Sail, and is similarly greeted upon entry. There he finds Mordred standing at the edge of the crowd, watching Bagu at the bar.
Jan 20, 2017 11:50 pm
Vhezyen, cautious and vigilant, enters the temple, curious to learn more about Dagon, monstrous god of the fathomless deep.
Jan 20, 2017 11:58 pm
After a few steps into the temple's dark vestibule, Vhezyen is met by a man in a dark robe and a hooded sealskin mantle. "Go no further. This is a consecrated place," the man says. "What purpose brings you to the House of Dagon, Lord of the Profound Deep?"
Jan 21, 2017 4:01 am
"Mine is merely is the pursuit of understanding and knowledge, as an academic." Vhezyen maintains a sincere affect. "I mean no disrespect, and would not trespass upon consecrated ground." Considering the voyage ahead, he continued. "While I am here, a question, if you could spare a moment. If one was to travel by sea, are there any offerings appropriate to Dagon, to help ensure safe passage?"

An Insight check on this guy, just to help 'feel' him out.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Jan 21, 2017 4:46 am
"The customary propitiation is a riding-horse, or a young ox. But the Lord Dagon takes as he will from those who presume to ride upon the face of the sea. To die in the black waters as nourishment for the children of the great dark deep is a nobler death than most are afforded."

The cleric has a flat affect; he seems guileless enough.
Jan 22, 2017 1:17 am
Although devoted to Thoth, Vhezyen could appreciate the multitude of deities that held sway over their respective domains in the mortal realms, and beyond. "Although such tribute is beyond my means, I would still pay my respects to Dagon. Please, accept this as a humble offering." He offers three gold pieces to the man in the dark robe. "I would also pay my respects to Dagon's consort, Artagatis. Is her temple nearby?"

Can't hurt to appease sea/ocean deities for a ten day trip across the water! Assuming he takes it, 3 gp already deducted. If given directions to the temple of Artagatis, and the robed man has nothing else to say, Vhezyen will make his way to her temple.
Jan 22, 2017 6:34 am
Leth accompanies Domarc, commenting that he is eager to observe his musical talents at their fullest. "It will be nice to take my mind off our hectic questing for a little while, anyway."
Jan 22, 2017 4:51 pm
The cleric takes Vhezyen's gold. "You will find the House of Atargatis in the city center. The common folk can show you the way." He stands there, waiting for Vhezyen to leave.
Jan 22, 2017 5:04 pm
Vhezyen gives a subtle, respectful nod, withdraws from the vestibule, and makes his way to the House of Atargatis.

If another ferry is necessary, let me know and I'll deduct the cost.
Jan 22, 2017 5:41 pm
"No, this is fine," Zangua says flatly after losing yet another round. He shuffles the deck and deals out another hand. "Use up all my bad luck so I only have the good when I get there."
Jan 22, 2017 5:58 pm
Vhezyen finds a pair of children with a raft, brother and sister, who ferry him back over for 2 copper.

To the northwest of the castle, near the public market, he finds the modest stone longhouse that serves as the Temple of Atargatis. Though unassuming on the outside, inside he finds a warmly-lit and sweet-smelling hall with over a dozen people kneeling on the floor in prayer or contemplation. A teal-shawled priestess sits with one couple, giving quiet counsel. Another priest paces the length of the hall with a censer. At the far end, surrounded by lamps and candles and offerings of fruit, cloths, flowers, and coin, stands the idol of the goddess herself, palms spread in a welcoming gesture, with a towering crown upon her head. She has the lower body of a fish.
Jan 22, 2017 6:30 pm
Quote:
There he finds Mordred standing at the edge of the crowd, watching Bagu at the bar.
Domarc gives Modred a nod, but moves towards the band, wanting to get a sense of the music and the tastes of the crowd.
Jan 22, 2017 6:52 pm
This is a sailor's tavern, rough men and hard drinks. The band is playing "The Rock-Eel and the Fisherman's Daughter," the version with the lyrics you don't sing when children are present.

Bagu and the bearded man get up and head for the door.
Jan 22, 2017 10:59 pm
Vhezyen quietly approaches the idol of Atargatis, making every effort to do unobtrusively. He nods respectfully to those he encounters along the way, then places three gold coins among the offerings near the idol.

Deducted 3 gp.

Perhaps Bagu has found our ship captain, the bearded man?
Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am
Felor opts to remain with the ship. He feels somewhat refreshed after the peaceful voyage through the pine trees - scenery that reminds him of his homeland. It was pleasant to be away from the urban sprawl of Hazard once more and to smell the cold, resin-scented air of a pine forest.

While Zangua plays cards with the crew, Felor kneels on the deck and prays to Fjorgyn, asking her to bless their coming sea voyage and to grant them good fortune for their mission of Vorch.
load next

Thread locked