Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm
Quote:
He is, however, offered a chance to take the state later that night, and can play for a free night's stay if he wants.
Domarc is happy to take the stage for a while, and performs the rowdiest songs he knows. He returns to the boat in the morning, a little bleary-eyed and unkempt.
Last edited January 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Jan 24, 2017 3:59 pm
Zangua spends his evening with the crew, idling about with cards and stories while waiting for news.
Jan 24, 2017 4:45 pm
Domarc wins over the staff and clientele alike at the Bitten Sail, and brings 19 silver in tips back to the barge.

Rolls

Domarc tip money (SP) - (5d6)

(24256) = 19

Jan 24, 2017 4:57 pm
The party quietly passes another day in Utwar. The next morning, just before dawn, Bagu shows up at the barge again. "All right! We're all set. Let's get going."

You follow him into the city, down to the beach, where he approaches three men standing next to a rowboat. One of them steps forward, a broad-chested, shirtless man with bronze skin and dark hair cut in the shape of an upturned bowl.

"Captain, your passengers," Bagu says to him. The man nods.

"I am Cornflower Ocean-Lover. That is my ship, the Swiftness of Camazotz." He points to a cog anchored in the bay, flying a red-and-black sail. "Come. We will leave at once." Without waiting for a reply, he turns and starts pushing the rowboat back into the water with his men.
Jan 24, 2017 5:04 pm
Is this the man he met at the bar?
Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm
No, definitely not. This is the first time you've seen this guy.
Jan 24, 2017 5:11 pm
Zangua nods to Bagu, and approaches the rowboat, waiting for the men to finish their preparations.
Jan 24, 2017 5:20 pm
Everybody getting in the rowboat?
Jan 24, 2017 5:27 pm
Domarc approaches the rowboat and, still a little giddy from the previous night, tries to see if anyone would like to engage in a round of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".
Jan 24, 2017 5:39 pm
Does this guy seem like a legit sailor, as far as I can tell?

Rolls

Insight skill check - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jan 24, 2017 5:44 pm
He's not exactly the spitting image of a Jermal longboat captain from the old songs, but Felor can't see anything obviously delegitimizing about him.
Jan 24, 2017 6:10 pm
Maybe ol' Bagu was just meeting a hot date at the bar?

Mordred gets on the boat, but he doesn't like this.
Last edited January 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Rolls

Extreme side-eye (Insight) - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jan 24, 2017 6:11 pm
Barring anything out of the ordinary, Zangua will board the rowboat.
Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm
The party gets into the rowboat. Cornflower's men take up the oars, and start rowing it out into the bay.

Once the boat is well offshore, Cornflower turns to look sternly at you all. "You truly wish to go to Vorch, all of you? This is your will? You are not under duress?"
Jan 24, 2017 6:25 pm
Realizing that no one seems interesting in singing this early in the morning, Domarc boards the rowboat. He takes a handful of water and splashes it in his face.
Jan 24, 2017 6:28 pm
"You truly wish to go to Vorch, all of you? This is your will? You are not under duress?"

"Yes, we do this of our own free will. We have reason to believe the fate of all of Bload, if not the Werld, may depend on what we find there. Any information or assistance you could offer would be appreciated."
Jan 24, 2017 6:46 pm
Cornflower returns an absolutely stone-faced look to Mordred's claims about their trip to Vorch affecting the fate of the Werld. He is silent for a long moment before replying. "Vorch is a dangerous island. It does not want men to dwell upon it. It will set itself against you. That is the information I have. I will take you there, and fulfill the compact I have made with your broker. I will tarry there for seven days and nights. If you do not return within that time, I will believe you are dead and sail away. That is how I will assist you."
Jan 24, 2017 7:00 pm
Vhezyen echoes Mordred in agreement. "That will do. Assuming there are no last minute hesitations." Vhezyen barely breathes the words while performing a hand gesture, drawing upon magic to read Cornflower's surface thoughts.

Using the rest of the party for cover, Vhezyen casts Detect Thoughts, disguising his efforts as needed via positioning, movements, etc.

For future reference Octo, I imagine a spell like Detect Thoughts would be extremely subtle in it's use (it's not Fireball or Polymorph, etc)? I just don't want to make the mistake of trying to use it when I can't. I feel like the spell might be cast by simply rubbing the material component (a copper piece "penny for your thoughts") between the thumb and index finger while saying one or two sparse words. In other words, it seems like it would be easy to disguise. At the same time, I don't want to just make assumptions.

Also, it's occurred to me that I might be over complicating things, and I should just 'cast Detect Thoughts' without worrying about being 'caught' as I'm not setting fire to a bunch of gobins.
Jan 24, 2017 7:20 pm
Casting a spell never carries zero risk of being noticed, but you can assume you can cast Detect Thoughts reasonably discreetly in most situations.

Cornflower's surface thoughts:

* these people are foolish
* is this weather going to get worse? my gut tells me the rains will strengthen but not enough to trouble us
* we should stop for provisions near Sood before venturing into the open sea
* Flat Snake is lazy, his laziness is becoming a problem for the rest of the crew, I must speak with him
Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm
"We greatly appreciate your assistance. My only request would be that on the seventh day and night you set a watch for an unusual sign coming from the island. We may have the means to make a thunderclap in a clear sky, or a fireball burst forth from the trees, or some other clear signal. If we do this, will you stay until dusk on the 8th day?"
Last edited January 24, 2017 7:33 pm
load next

Thread locked