Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 24, 2017 7:39 pm
Cornflower considers. "I will charge you twenty gold if I am asked to stay a day longer. Can you pay that?"
Jan 24, 2017 7:49 pm
"Although I do not believe that you will need to stay beyond seven days, it is possible. As such, if events become that strained, I believe that we would be willing to pay you 30 gold for each additional day you must wait. Naturally, it should be worth your time to wait out any complications that might occur. Will that motivate you to await our return? At least up to ten days?"

This guy is our ticket back to Bload, so whatever the cost is would be worth it.
Last edited January 24, 2017 7:49 pm
Jan 24, 2017 7:50 pm
"We will pay," Domarc assures Cornflower, shaking his coin purse. "I take it there are no settlements on Vorch, then? That it is just a wild, dangerous island?"
Jan 24, 2017 7:58 pm
Vhezyen listens with keen attention, as Domarc's question is an excellent one, well worth the attention.
Jan 24, 2017 8:06 pm
Cornflower looks dubious. "If you must remain longer, I hope you will discuss it with me face-to-face. Signs and wonders make poor negotiators." To Mordred, he says: "No men dwell upon Vorch. Four years and ten months ago, I found a raft in the sea carrying two men. They were pirates. They told me this: that they had landed upon Vorch to hide away a plunder of gold. That a demon of the air tore their ship apart. That birds with sharp teeth descended from the smoking hill and ate their comrades. They were starved and sun-cooked when I found them. They did not survive."
Jan 24, 2017 8:27 pm
"Of course. My preference would always be face-to-face. Just know, Cornflower, that if you are considering leaving without us, each additional day you choose to stay and wait is worth 30 gold."
Jan 24, 2017 8:37 pm
"We seek something on the island, Captain," Domarc says, "but it is hard for us to know how long the search will take. Is the island very large? The more information we have, the better we can plan. None of us want to extend our stay, but we fear it might be needed."

If the Captain is reluctant with Vhezyen's offer, Domarc will suggest leaving a small surety - perhaps half the amount promised for another day. Given Domarc's corporate background, I should have thought about some things like letters of credit or whatever with the bank
Last edited January 24, 2017 8:37 pm
Jan 24, 2017 8:45 pm
As you row up to the side of the cog, the crew on board lowers a rope ladder. The ship looks well-made and well-maintained. Up close, you have a better view of the sail: a toothy, fierce-looking black bat on a field of red. There are twelve crewmen in addition to Cornflower and the two men on the rowboat. Most of them are from the south of Hafer, like their captain, and don't speak your language. You're to share cramped sleeping quarters below deck with them.

Once everyone is on board, Cornflower gives the order to pull up the anchor and set sail. The ship pulls out of the Bay of Utwar and begins heading south, staying near the coast.

You have about ten days of travel at sea ahead of you. I'll advance the timeline periodically and let you know if anything interesting is happening. If you'd like to take some action, make some ability check, or try talking to Cornflower or anyone else on board, just go ahead and jump in.
Jan 24, 2017 8:52 pm
Cornflower thinks Vorch is about three miles wide and two miles long.
Jan 24, 2017 9:00 pm
In general, Domarc will perform some songs, tell some tales, etc., to try to help keep the crew friendly and well-disposed towards their passengers.
Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm
Zangua tries to help out as a deckhand, made a bit difficult with the lack of language, but hopes to assist with enough hand gestures and appropriate grunting.

During their sea voyage, Zangua takes care to not wear his armor, lest he fall overboard. He stows it with the rest of his equipment.
Jan 24, 2017 10:14 pm
The first two days of travel pass uneventfully as you track along the coast toward Darcra. A light rain falls steadily, but the seas are calm. The daily supper on the ship is a stew of salted fish and dried vegetable meal, supplemented by biscuits and wine.

Cornflower is not especially talkative, but he often takes time to personally instruct the younger crew members on the art of seafaring.
Jan 24, 2017 10:49 pm
During the first two days, Vhezyen takes time to examine and gain understanding of the two spell storing rings he has. Having identified them successfully, he has an idea of what it takes to use them.

Basically Vhezyen is taking the time to attune himself to both of the the rings, after which he will then cast a Feather Fall spell into Ring A, and a Knock into Ring B.
Jan 24, 2017 10:57 pm
Vhezyen attempts to charge two of the rings.

Edit: Both rings seem to accept the spells.

Rolls

Feather Fall - (1d20+7)

Knock - (1d20+7)

Jan 24, 2017 11:18 pm
I almost forgot about the ring of spell storing! I will attempt to put Dissonant Whispers into mine.
Jan 24, 2017 11:31 pm
Domarc tries to cast a spell into his ring.

Edit: The ring explodes, spraying melted copper droplets everywhere. The crew, startled, stares at Domarc.

Rolls

Dissonant Whispers - (1d20+7)

Damage to Domarc - (1d3)

(3) = 3

Jan 25, 2017 9:14 am
Felor looks at Domarc and raises his eyebrows, as if to say "I told you so".
Jan 25, 2017 12:42 pm
Mordred attempts to cast Burning Hands into his ring while wearing appropriate eye and face protection...

He's also got Fire Resistance, in case that applies to molten metal as well.
Jan 25, 2017 2:19 pm
OOC:
"Does anyone have a welding mask?"
Don't forget, I took two Rings Of Exploding Metal originally, one blew up, and am happy to give up the other to whoever, in case no-one actually took it already.
Last edited January 25, 2017 2:20 pm
Jan 25, 2017 4:41 pm
"Next time, warn us when you're going to explode something," Zangua mutters, shifting away to put some distance between himself and Mordred.
load next

Thread locked