Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 25, 2017 9:21 pm
Not yet. Just using it's senses for the moment to enhance Perception.
Jan 25, 2017 9:30 pm
The smoke is more than you'd expect from a typical hearth or campfire, and the fact that it seems to be known as a sort of permanent feature of the island raises some questions as to its nature.

One thing that cannot escape Vhezyen's owlishly-enhanced senses is the rodent presence on the island: knowing what to look and listen for, he can detect them in the undergrowth ahead, rats and mice, large and small.
Jan 25, 2017 9:37 pm
Are there any avian creatures that I could copy and have my familiar change into?
Jan 25, 2017 9:47 pm
The only birds you've seen so far are gulls.
Jan 25, 2017 10:13 pm
"At the very least, I suggest we move toward the treeline, in an effort to reduce our visibility to any who may be watching. Give me some time. I may be able to learn more about Vorch, from a different point of view." With that Vhezyen advances toward the treeline, allowing his familiar to serve as scout. Fly ahead. See.

Vhezyen would have his familiar stay within telepathic range (1oo feet) and scout ahead, having it perch on a tree at the edge of the foliage, vigilant. There, he'll perform a Find Familiar ritual and transform it into a gull, then send it out to perform an aerial recon of the island, with special interest on the smoke. Given how small the island is, I imagine that won't take too long, and it might have a big payoff.

Even though we may have already been seen, I'm trying to be wary of giving away our presence by having a foreign animal (owl) flying around overhead. Also, Octo, what time of day is it? I'm thinking we may want to break camp here, and get a start at dawn, giving us maximum daylight to move into the jungle.
Last edited January 25, 2017 10:13 pm
Jan 25, 2017 10:25 pm
"Entirely possible the smoke is the result of some natural process," Domarc says. "I have heard of such things, though never seen any. It does seem like something that would naturally draw anyone who came to the island, however."
Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm
Every day that passed aboard the ship, Leth grew more and more anxious. Thoughts of the 6PC tormenting Martjan for information, or worse - going after and finding the sphere - weighed heavy on his mind. Still, there was no turning back now, and they might as well make the best of where they are. The captains unsettling tales of the island were also particularly concerning.

I wasn't counting on this island being uninhabited... this will make finding our elven friend much more difficult. Why would he even come here in the first place? And what reason do we have to believe he is still here? He considers to himself as they disembark.

As the group tries to get their bearings and formulate a plan, Leth examines the ground and their surroundings carefully for any signs that might indicate what lives here, and how often it comes through the area. He is looking for potential game/sustenance, as well as signs of anything dangerous - or possibly even intelligent - that would live here.
OOC:
I guess if the forest is too far away at the moment, he is just examining the beach area, but he will want to check out the forest too once they get close.

Also, I'll post this here for the group since it looks like we're gonna be wandering around my favored terrain:
Quote:
While travelling in favored terrain:
-Difficult terrain doesn't slow the group's travel
-the group can't become lost except by magical means
-even when engaged in another activity while traveling (foraging, navigating, tracking, etc) Leth remains alert to danger
-If travelling alone, Leth can move stealthily at a normal pace
-When foraging, Leth finds twice as much food as he normally would
-While tracking other creatures, Leth also learns their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
It seems odd to me that favored terrain doesn't boost survival checks within the terrain... much like how favored enemies provide no combat bonuses. Meh.
Last edited January 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm
It's early afternoon, you still have a good amount of daylight left today.

Vhezyen's familiar flies over the island, finding it roughly kidney-shaped with the concave side to the north, about four miles from east to west and two and a half miles from north to south. Four streams flow off the two hills, running high with rainwater on this day. Trees cover almost the entire island, although there's a swath of marshy grassland on the south side. The smoke comes from a few cavelike openings at the top of the eastern hill.
Jan 25, 2017 10:37 pm
Leth peers into the trees. Certainly, the rodents are a possibility for sustenance, as well as whatever the rodents are eating -- or whatever's eating them. Even from here, Leth can see the broken branches and torn vines that suggest some larger creature might have passed through some time ago.

A strange cry comes from the west -- a bird, probably, but not one any of you have heard before.
Jan 25, 2017 10:40 pm
BullOctorok says:
Even from here, Leth can see the broken branches and torn vines that suggest some larger creature might have passed through some time ago.
A) "Even from here" makes it sound like a pretty large creature then.

B) Does it look like the branches have been broken for a long time, or within the past few days? Or can I tell from this distance?
Last edited January 25, 2017 10:40 pm
Jan 25, 2017 10:46 pm
It's hard to tell exactly, but probably within the past few days.
Jan 25, 2017 10:46 pm
Zangua rests against his glaive as Vhezyen performs his 1-hour-and-10-minute ritual, taking the body posture of a city guard forced to stand around.
Jan 25, 2017 11:04 pm
CancerMan says:
Zangua rests against his glaive as Vhezyen performs his 1-hour-and-10-minute ritual, taking the body posture of a city guard forced to stand around.
Yeeeaaaah Rituals can take a while.

Leth turns to the group. "I'm seeing signs of at least one pretty large creature living here in those woods. Hard to tell more about it from here, but that's a potential threat we should be aware of. I'll keep my eyes open for more as we go... but where are we going? What's our next destination?" He asks. "If Pafthinel - or anyone - does indeed still live here, they would need to be somewhere relatively safe from the dangers of the island as well as near provisions. On an island this size, provisions probably wouldn't be too far away, no matter where you are, but safety is another thing entirely. Perhaps on the hills? They would provide a vantage point to observe the whole island. And that smoke is certainly intriguing."
OOC:
Are volcanoes a thing that normal people would normally know exist?
Jan 25, 2017 11:12 pm
Volcanoes are known, certainly. None of you are geologists here, but the smoking hill doesn't really seem to fit the concept of volcanoes as you understand them. If Vorch was an active volcano, that would probably be a matter of historical record, as it would be the only one in close proximity to Bload.
Jan 25, 2017 11:42 pm
"I appreciate your patience," Vhezyen casts a knowing look at Zangua's clear body language, then addresses the group, "but I can now tell you that the smoke is coming from cave like openings on the top of the hill, and there are streams flowing from the tops of both hills."

He spoke directly to Leth now. "You mentioned that the denizens of the island would need provisions, which includes water. We could follow one of the streams to the top of the eastern hill. It would provide fresh water if we break for camp, not to mention that any indigenous peoples might make their homes close to such a water source, or have established trails, and, whether they are friendly or not, information about Vorch could be had."

It's not that rituals take a long time, but Find Familiar does. The ritual part just adds 10 minutes. Anyway, it seemed prudent to have my familiar blend in with the environment.

Also, Vhezyen shares the rest of the knowledge he learned from his familiar, as described previously by Octo.
Jan 26, 2017 12:18 am
Whenever we're ready to move out, if it works for the group, I'm sure my familiar could lead us to the nearest stream. I'm guessing Leth would be alright with leading the way here, especially as it would make a lot of sense.
Jan 26, 2017 12:20 am
The nearest stream is about a mile and a half to the west, but you're going to run out of beach before you get there, so you'd need to go through forest for at least part of the way.
Jan 26, 2017 3:43 am
Leth nods as Vhezyen mentions a stream. "My thoughts exactly. The downside is that not only would a stream attract possible indigenous people, but creatures as well. We'll have to be extra careful - but that's as good a plan as any."
OOC:
In the time Vhezyen was casting his spell, Leth would have gone up to investigate the broken branches and such in the forest - not going too deep, just looking at what he could see from the beach. He's also looking to see how high the tallest broken branch is to maybe get an idea of how tall this thing is, whether or not such a large creature would leave footprints, and if so, what they look like, and possibly any clues as to what kind of creature it might be.
Last edited January 26, 2017 3:46 am
Jan 26, 2017 3:54 am
BullOctorok says:
The nearest stream is about a mile and a half to the west...
Just to clarify, I'd want to head toward the nearest stream that leads up the eastern hill.

Also, having gotten the bird's eye view, would it be possible to get a rough sketch of the island and our location?
Last edited January 26, 2017 3:54 am
Jan 26, 2017 5:15 am
There's no breakage much higher than shoulder height. No clear footprints, but suggestions of trampling in spots. This undergrowth would bounce back quickly, though.

Gull's-eye map of Vorch!

http://i.imgur.com/xfNttZU.jpg
load next

Thread locked