Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 31, 2017 5:34 pm
OK, well, ignore the advantage roll if inappropriate. If it's a hit one way or the other, sneak attack damage applies, as it is possible when attacking with advantage (Hidden) or if the target is in melee range of another opponent (Zangua).

Mordred slinks around to the creature engaged with Zangua and slashes at its legs from cover, then attempts to conceal himself again.

Rolls

Attack (Rapier) - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Attack (Rapier) Advantage (Attacking from Hidden) - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Damage (Rapier) - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Sneak Attack Damage - (3d6)

(514) = 10

Stealth (Bonus Action Hide) - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Jan 31, 2017 5:44 pm
Mordred darts out from the foliage and thrusts his rapier behind the creature's back leg, plunging it deep up into the pelvis. As he scrambles away to find cover again, the bird-lizard wobbles on its feet and lets out a shrill croak before collapsing onto its side, dead.

Leth and Vhezyen, you're up!
Jan 31, 2017 6:16 pm
Did I just kill a dinosaur by stabbing it in the ass? Not sure how to feel about that.
Jan 31, 2017 6:26 pm
Long will the bards sing of this feat.
Jan 31, 2017 7:00 pm
That dinosaur you just killed? It's a Megasoreass.

And yes, Domarc will be composing something about this. Working title: Modred and the Epic Ass-Stab. Or maybe the Ass-Stab of Doom? Motdred the Lizard-Ass Stabber?
Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm
Brave Ser Mordred stabbed away
Bravely stabbed away, away
When danger reared its ugly head
Brave Ser Mordred stabbed it's tail until dead!
Last edited January 31, 2017 7:08 pm
Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm
Leth turns his attention towards the last remaining bird-lizard, quickly drawing and releasing two arrows at it.
OOC:
Not sure if this one has taken any damage yet, but if it has, my first attack that hits will get an extra d8 from colossus slayer. If it hasn't and both of my attacks hit, then my second attack gets the d8.

35/43 HP
Last edited January 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Rolls

Attack Roll 1 - (1d20+8, 1d4)

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

1d4 : (1) = 1

Damage roll 1 - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Attack roll 2 - (1d20+8, 1d4)

1d20+8 : (20) + 8 = 28

1d4 : (3) = 3

Damage roll 2 - (1d8+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

possible colossus slayer damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm
Leth expertly fires two arrows into the remaining bird-lizard's breast. It shrieks and springs back, badly wounded.

Vhezyen, you're up!
Jan 31, 2017 9:27 pm
Vhezyen recoiled at the bird-lizard's shriek. Suddenly an image flashed through his mind. He had seen this moment last night, in a dream. He unleashed a glowing sphere of fire, an effort to silence the creature permanently.

Casting a 2nd level Chromatic Orb (fire version due to their aversion to it). Using my Portent of 11 instead of rolling a d20 to hit, +7, giving me a total of 18 to hit, 4d8 damage. Also, didn't Leth roll a critical hit with his 'Attack roll 2', meaning extra damage?

Portent 11+7 = 18 to hit bird-lizard
[ +- ] Portent

Rolls

Chromatic Orb-Fire - (4d8)

(2484) = 18

Jan 31, 2017 9:28 pm
If for some reason it isn't dead (with Leth's damge too?), I'm fairly sure it's going to attack me since it's already engaged with me. If it does, I'd like to use my Portent of '6' to ensure it misses.
Jan 31, 2017 9:29 pm
Quote:
Also, didn't Leth roll a critical hit with his 'Attack roll 2', meaning extra damage?
I also rolled a 1 earlier, which Octo counted as a hit, so I'd say we're breaking even hahaha
Jan 31, 2017 9:30 pm
You know, looking back, I'm surprised he gave that to you.
Jan 31, 2017 9:39 pm
thedandyman says:
Quote:
Also, didn't Leth roll a critical hit with his 'Attack roll 2', meaning extra damage?
I also rolled a 1 earlier, which Octo counted as a hit, so I'd say we're breaking even hahaha
I don't like critical hit rules, but I guess they're officially there in 5e, so jump on those and add your extra damage roll when you roll a 20, cause I might "forget" haha. But in this case, yeah, let's just say those two rolls cancelled each other out, critwise.
Jan 31, 2017 9:44 pm
Vhezyen hurls a small orb of flame at the bird-lizard, striking it in the head. It reels back, lets out a wavering cry, and starts to follow its packmates as they flee in a southeasterly direction.

One bird-lizard is dead and four are fleeing. Combat is over, unless you want to pursue them.
Jan 31, 2017 9:46 pm
Octo, the way I feel about the rules is that they are all guidelines, so if you want to do away with crits that's fine with me, although I like the random effect crits can have on combat. However, immediately after typing that I realized that it would nerf one of the main benefits of Cancerman's character Zangua, wherein the crit range increases as his Champion fighter levels up.
Jan 31, 2017 9:48 pm
I'm fine with letting them go. I don't see catching them, but we could track them. We're a bit torn up though, so a short rest seems a better bet. Away from the flesh sponge plants, that is.
Jan 31, 2017 9:57 pm
I don't like making you guys remember house rules, so we'll stick with what it has in the PHB. Dead bird-lizard would have died on Mordred's buttstab even if we counted Leth's shot as a miss, but just for the hell of it, let's see if extra crit damage would have finished off the one that ran away...

Edit: Ooh, just enough.

About fifty yards out from where it ambushed the party, the bird-lizard that Leth and Vhezyen attacked stops and collapses. The other three continue on running.

Rolls

Extra crit damage - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Jan 31, 2017 10:00 pm
"Well," says Domarc. "Those were rather terrible lizards, weren't they?"
Jan 31, 2017 10:32 pm
Zangua leans once again on his glaive, this time in a state of exhaustion as the adrenaline starts to ebb.
load next

Thread locked