Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 1, 2017 9:08 pm
Zangua says:
"And does he... she? It? See any more of those bigger birds?"
"It. And unfortunately the dense plant life complicates it's view, even from high above. It did, however, provide me an understanding of the island's general geography. I'll sketch a rough map while we rest."

Vhezyen enjoyed the work during the party's respite from the dangers of the island, finding comfort in the application of pen to paper. As he sketched the island, he considered the life of an explorer or a cartographer. Given their recent encounter with the bird-lizards, it was clearly more dangerous than he had previously imagined.

As part of the short rest, Vhezyen will sketch a rough map of the island on a piece of paper, giving everyone access RP wise to the bird's eye view.

Rolling some hit dice for the rest. At 36/40 now
Last edited February 1, 2017 9:09 pm

Rolls

Hit Dice for Short Rest - (1d8+3, 1d8+3)

1d8+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d8+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Hit Dice for Short Rest - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Feb 1, 2017 9:20 pm
Upon completing his sketch map of Vorch, Vhezyen would gladly share it with the party to enable a better understanding of the island's geography. I added some updates and posted it to the About Bload thread.
Last edited February 1, 2017 9:22 pm
Feb 2, 2017 4:51 pm
Having rested, are you guys heading up the stream toward the hill?
Feb 2, 2017 5:07 pm
Rested and eager to continue exploring Vorch, Vhezyen silently asks Thoth to aid them in discovering, and surviving, the islands secrets, however deep and dark they may be.

Ready to follow the stream to the west hill. Btw, how deep/wide is the stream? Is it barely existent, a couple of feet deep, etc?
Feb 2, 2017 5:11 pm
With a grunt, Zangua gets to his feet. He cricks his neck and with a semi-tired rising of his eyebrows, indicates that he is ready.
Feb 2, 2017 5:15 pm
Yeah, I'm ready. I'd like to stay within sight of the stream, but remain far enough away from it that we are not immediately visible to something at the water's edge, on the downwind side, if that's feasible.
Feb 2, 2017 5:23 pm
"Just to make sure that we've considered all options," Domarc says, considering the forest around them and the sounds coming from it. "Is pressing our way in the best, first choice? Or would scouting along the shoreline provide other possible clues as to where we might seek the Elf? I am quite out of my element here and feel at a loss as to what the best course of action might be."
Feb 2, 2017 6:13 pm
The stream has broken up into a broad network of shallow rivulets here. Upstream, it's several feet wide but quite shallow, only a few inches deep.
Feb 2, 2017 6:18 pm
"If the elf hasn't been eaten by these bird-things, I'm gonna guess he's holed-up somewhere defensible," says Zangua. "Judging from our reception on this beach, I sorta doubt he's living in a wide-open space."
Feb 2, 2017 6:37 pm
"You aren't alone, Domarc. This is further from the sewers of Sthombo than I ever thought I'd be in my life, but time is a factor. We can't scout around at our leisure."
Feb 2, 2017 7:18 pm
"We do have some time however, although I doubt any of our efforts will be leisurely. Something to keep in mind is that Pafthinel is a mage, and may have options beyond the norm when it comes to avoiding detection." Vhezyen considered Domarc and Zangua's words. "Although we have only begun to scratch the surface, and he could be anywhere, higher ground seems a good place to start, as it provides a commanding view of the terrain and approaching vessels. Like Zangua said, he'd likely be 'hole-up' somewhere defensible. One of those hilltops is where I'd be."

He thought about his choice of words --'holed-up'-- for the briefest moment. After his short career as a burglar in Hazard, Vhezyen had lived a life among academies, temples, and books, and although he was used to 'proper' academic speech, having been told by peers that he would make an excellent lecturer in time, his experience in the 'real world' was beginning to give him an appreciation for non-traditional vernacular and direct, blunt speech as a form of efficient communication. He considered the bird-lizards. Not much time for 'proper' speech when you're busy not dying.
Feb 2, 2017 8:10 pm
OK I'd say you guys have a quorum on heading south upstream.

The stream narrows and deepens as you follow it through a dense forest of broadleaf trees, ferns, and vines. Bright orange salamanders cling to the rocks and roots near the water.

Whatever is making the crashing noises is to the east of you now, probably about a mile away.

The tree cover grows thinner as you reach the base of the hill, giving way to smaller shrubs and clusters of white flowers on stalks. Here the stream descends in little rocky waterfalls from its source higher up on the hill.

A few yards to the left of the falls stands a stone menhir, about five feet tall, with an eye-shaped symbol carved near the top.
Feb 2, 2017 8:38 pm
Mordred looks to see if there are any other similar stones in the area, as if it is part of a fence or boundary.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 2, 2017 8:52 pm
There are no other such stones within view.
Feb 2, 2017 9:29 pm
Domarc considers the symbol, and if he's ever seen it before.

Rolls

Religion or History roll - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Feb 2, 2017 9:42 pm
Vhezyen eyes the stone, curious as to its significance and meaning. "Give me some time. I'd like to see if there is any magic to this standing stone, as a precaution." He threw a friendly jibe at Zangua. "Relax. This won't take nearly as long as the last time... enjoy the scenery."

For the sake of PbP efficiency...

Perception for noticing traps, ambushes, anything worth noting at all in the area. Follow that up with Arcane, History, and Religion checks (throwing them out there as Vheyzen's overall knowledge check, whichever fits the bill feel free to apply/combine). After that, going to perform a Detect Magic ritual.
[ +- ] Detect Magic
Last edited February 2, 2017 9:43 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Arcane - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

History - (1d20+10)

(17) + 10 = 27

Religion - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Feb 2, 2017 9:43 pm
It's a very simple almond shape with a circle inside, certainly something you've seen before but not unique enough to connect it with anything specific.
Feb 2, 2017 9:45 pm
Vhezyen sees no sign of traps or ambushes.

The Detect Magic ritual, however, shows a clear aura of enchantment around the standing stone, concentrated most strongly around the eye symbol.
Feb 2, 2017 9:54 pm
Vhezyen spoke in a hushed tone, a warning of sorts as he continued to perform the ritual. "There is, without a doubt, magic about this stone. It emanates most strongly from the eye."
Last edited February 3, 2017 1:49 am
Feb 2, 2017 9:58 pm
Investigation on the standing stone, especially for those small details easily missed.
Last edited February 2, 2017 10:27 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(12) + 10 = 22

load next

Thread locked