Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 3, 2017 7:18 pm
Zangua spares a moment to shrug. "Maybe he's riding whatever that is. Just throwin' it out there since he's an elf."
Feb 3, 2017 7:44 pm
Acknowledging Zangua, Vhezyen marvels at the portal's design. "Vorch seems to have potential for many surprises, and I would not dismiss the idea of a beast-riding elven mage. Mad King or reclusive elf wizard," he glances briefly at Domarc, "I imagine you will have a grand and exotic tale to tell." He deadpans, almost detached from the conversation as the watery corridor once again captures his focus. "Assuming you live to tell it."

Some Guidance to facilitate an Arcane check here for anything useful. I know we're about 300 feet up here, but about how much time do we have before 'it' arrives at the base of the hill, whatever 'it' is?
Last edited February 3, 2017 7:46 pm

Rolls

Arcane - (1d20+10, 1d4)

1d20+10 : (4) + 10 = 14

1d4 : (4) = 4

Feb 3, 2017 8:08 pm
The thing has been moving irregularly, you can't really be sure how long til it catches up with you, if that's what it's trying to do. Maybe 15-20 minutes?

It's evident that something magical is holding the water in place like this, but Vhezyen can't make any particular determinations about it.
Feb 3, 2017 8:23 pm
"Maybe we will be able to see what is coming if we get to the top of the hill. We can investigate this water later.

Alternatively, we could have the strongest swimmer try and dive down to see if there is an air pocket or an end to the water deeper in the tunnel."
Feb 3, 2017 8:28 pm
Quote:
"Assuming you live to tell it."
"That is always the trick, and why I surround myself with such excellent companions," Domarc says, looking back down the hillside. "It strikes me that this would be an excellent way of securing the entrance to a safe lair on this island, but without knowing how deep it goes, it is a difficult approach to take without gills."
Feb 3, 2017 8:31 pm
Vhezyen pulls Quggyeb off of his shoulder and sends him toward the jungle. Go. See what approaches, return immediately upon doing so.
Feb 3, 2017 8:40 pm
What's swimming/diving, Octo? Athletics? Survival? Straight CON check?
Feb 3, 2017 8:41 pm
Mordred says:
"Maybe we will be able to see what is coming if we get to the top of the hill. We can investigate this water later.

Alternatively, we could have the strongest swimmer try and dive down to see if there is an air pocket or an end to the water deeper in the tunnel."
Vhezyen replied. "The jungle is simply too thick. Even my avian friend cannot see through it from above. I expect this time, however, he'll get below the canopy and get a better look. And I would know more of my options before swimming into a wizard's home, especially on an island where creatures may serve him. Some damnable beast could lurk within the water itself, and I would take my chances out here before being out of my element."
Last edited February 3, 2017 8:42 pm
Feb 3, 2017 8:43 pm
[ +- ] What Quggyeb sees:
Feb 3, 2017 9:18 pm
Domarc says:
"It strikes me that this would be an excellent way of securing the entrance to a safe lair on this island, but without knowing how deep it goes, it is a difficult approach to take without gills."
Vhezyen turns to Domarc. "It would be a secure entrance indeed, and a mage would be just the kind to be able to sprout gills when needed. Unfortunately, I have yet to learn such arcane arts, although it would be undoubtedly usef-- ah, here it is." He allows Quggyeb to take rest on his shoulder, attentive to its urgent warning.

Vhezyen listens while relaying excerpts of what he is told by the sea gull familiar: "...an ape-like form, twice the size of a man, leaving broken forest in its wake...jawless skull for a head, garnets for eyes, earthen form, rocks for hands." He looked toward the approaching threat, then back to the group. "I believe a creature, sustained by magic, is headed our way. A construct of sorts, similar in nature to the metallic being you fought with in the Badgerways. Perhaps more dangerous, although I cannot be certain."

"I believe there is no fleeing from this skull-headed construct. We have a decision to make." He looks into the watery passage, contemplative. "Do we enter the unknown, and perhaps even greater danger, or face the potential threat here?"
Last edited February 3, 2017 9:22 pm
Feb 3, 2017 10:21 pm
"Sounds like just the type of construct a mage might build as a guardian," Domarc suggests. "I am no swimmer, but it sounds like this beast would not be hampered by this hill. I think if we could find cover, that would be the best."
Feb 3, 2017 11:55 pm
"I would agree. However, our best option for cover could turn out to be a watery grave. I'm optimistic, however, that this isn't the case." Curious, Vhezyen nonchalantly grabs Quggyeb and carefully pushes it beak first into the liquid barrier.

Using the scientific method and looking to see if it can be penetrated. Vhezyen would see/hear through Quggyeb and push the familiar through until it's neck was past the barrier, allowing him to see and hear if it was truly water inside. He would then withdraw Quggyeb after getting a decent look for a couple of seconds. Of course, if it can't be penetrated, I won't mash him into the barrier.
Feb 4, 2017 12:10 am
Vhezyen sticks Quggyeb's head into the water. Its disregard for the laws of gravity aside, it appears to be normal water.
Feb 4, 2017 1:52 am
Vhezyen grasps his amulet and breathes a few words, removing his hand to reveal a radiant glow of light. "I say we take our chances and swim for it. At the very least, I am going to take a look." Stay here. Watch. Quggyeb takes a spot on a rock a few feet above the portal.

In his time as a burglar, Vhezyen had drawn the 'short pick' often enough, which meant being 'first man', whether it was over a fence, or through a door or window. It had been over a decade since those reckless days of being a criminal, and he had forgotten that edgy feeling that came with a task such as this. Thoth willing, I'll learn something that doesn't have to do with seeing the afterlife first hand.

Looking to the group with a genuinely broad smile, Vhezyen felt a bit of adrenaline, and sought to balance it with an attempt at bravado. "It's good to be out of the library. Wish me luck." Determined, he takes a deep breath and passes through the portal.

Here goes nothing ;)

Threw a short prayer to Thoth (Guidance) in there with the Light cantrip on the amulet.

Rolls

Guidance - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Feb 4, 2017 2:17 am
How far would you go before turning back, if the water were to go on further than you can hold your breath?
Feb 4, 2017 2:24 am
Based on the 4 minutes PHB allows with my CON (+3 minutes), if Vhezyen had a stopwatch it would be 90 seconds.
Feb 4, 2017 2:36 am
The watery passage descends in a slope for about ten feet before the ground levels out. When Vhezyen reaches this point, all of you outside hear a shrill, crystalline sound as the water becomes suddenly opaque.

In mid-stroke, the water Vhezyen is swimming through becomes solid ice, immobilizing him. A surge of panic and terror rises from his gut as the shock of cold hits him.

Vhezyen, please make a WIS save and a CON save.
Feb 4, 2017 3:00 am
Good times. Now that's some home defense!

Fingers crossed!

EDIT:+1 to the CON save from Guidance.
Last edited February 4, 2017 3:53 am

Rolls

Wisdom Save - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Constitution Save - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Feb 4, 2017 5:31 am
Vhezyen keeps his wits about him even as the freezing cold seeps into his flesh, fighting back the fear before it can overtake him.

Rolls

Vhezyen cold damage (halved by saving throw) - (1d6)

(5) = 5

load next

Thread locked