Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 4, 2017 6:10 am
Nasty. Definitely one of the less desirable ways to die.

Sensing the impending grip of cold death, Vhezyen exerts one last effort to avoid eternal sleep. His mind finds a place of pleading to Thoth for a path of knowing that leads to living.

Assuming he has the wits before being frozen, Vhezyen accepts the potential of death and casts Spare the Dying on himself, knowing his only chance is divine intervention or the aid of those outside.
Feb 4, 2017 6:18 am
OOC:
Did the water at the slope also turn into ice? I know you said those of us outside heard the sound and the water turned opaque, but I wanted to be clear.
Last edited February 4, 2017 6:19 am
Feb 4, 2017 6:19 am
It looks like the whole body of water turned to ice, yes.
Feb 4, 2017 6:31 am
Zangua blinks, as it takes a moment to consider what just happened. "Did he do that? Was that supposed to happen?" he thinks to ask, before he starts an attempt to break through the ice with his handaxes, double-fisting the blades.

Rolls

Athletics? - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Feb 4, 2017 8:06 am
Leth is so focused on the approaching creature that he doesn't immediately realize what just happened. "Oh! Gods! Wh- what do we do??" He asks, beginning to panic a bit. The bird-lizards, the gorilla monster, and now the deadly freezing trap were all adding up to an overwhelming anxiety in his head. "He said something about dispelling magic; could someone do that? Would it help?" He stammers, looking for something to do or some way to help, but being unable to do so.
Feb 4, 2017 10:07 pm
"Beyond that, can anybody do anything with fire to melt the ice?" Domarc asks.
Feb 5, 2017 11:06 pm
"Let's hope this works..." Mordred puts his hands on the ice and blasts his Burning Hands spell into the tunnel.
Quote:
Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Self (15-foot cone)

Components: V, S

Duration: Instantaneous

As you hold your hands with thumbs touching and fingers spread, a thin sheet of flames shoots forth from your outstretched fingertips. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.
EDIT: See post below
Last edited February 6, 2017 12:10 pm
Feb 6, 2017 9:42 am
Without waiting for Mordred's flames to subside, Felor holds his spear aloft and proclaims "Indomitable Fjorgyn! Aid your loyal servant and banish this sorcery!"

Cast Guidance on myself, then Dispell Magic on the water tunnel. Add Guidance roll to Wisdom check if necessary for dispelling.
Last edited February 6, 2017 9:43 am

Rolls

Wisdom check if necessary - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Guidance - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Feb 6, 2017 12:09 pm
If it's all the same to everyone else, I'm cool with retconning that Felor tried Dispel Magic first. I'm worried that the flames might hurt Vhezyen even if they fail to completely melt the ice. I also wouldn't mind hanging on to that spell slot. If the Dispel Magic does not work, then Mordred will still cast Burning Hands.
Feb 6, 2017 12:25 pm
Fine by me, I would have tried DM straight away, but I rarely check the game over the weekend.
Feb 6, 2017 5:04 pm
Felor prays to dispel magic, but nothing happens. Zangua hacks away at the ice, sending fragments flying, while Mordred casts a cone of flame from his hands. Steam hisses from the cracks and fissures opening up under Zangua's blows, but there's still several feet of ice to get through before you reach Vhezyen.

Below you, branches snap and brush is trampled as the hulking dirt-beast draws closer.

Vhezyen, make another CON save. Everybody else, you may take another action.

Rolls

Rolling some dice behind the screen - (5d6+8)

Feb 6, 2017 5:14 pm
Zangua continues hacking away, uncaring what the ice does to his axe blades.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Inspiration, Athletics - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Feb 6, 2017 5:40 pm
Domarc turns to look down the hill, drawing his hand crossbow and giving it a rueful look; an inadequate tool for what is approaching.
Feb 6, 2017 6:37 pm
CON Save

Rolls

CON Save - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Feb 6, 2017 6:41 pm
Zangua keeps hacking away, cleaving off large chunks of ice.

Felor, Leth, Mordred, you can each take an action.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Cold damage to Vhezyen (halved by saving throw) - (2d6)

(31) = 4

Feb 6, 2017 8:38 pm
Fuuuuuuck. Fuck Fuck Fuckety fuck.

Another Burning Hands, trying to angle the flames into the cracks Zangua is creating.
Feb 6, 2017 8:51 pm
Mordred casts another blast of flame into the ice, unleashing more gouts of steam and causing several large chunks to fall away. Interestingly, some of the melted ice that runs down to the bottom of the stone frame drips off the edge of the stone instead of being held in place.

Zangua and Mordred's efforts are definitely clearing away the ice, but there's a lot yet to get through.

The trees at the bottom of the hill shake.

Felor, Leth, you can take a turn.

Rolls

[sound of dice rolling]

Feb 6, 2017 9:11 pm
Leth suddenly remembers he does indeed possess some melee weapons, and draws them, proceeding to join Zangua's attempts to hack away the ice.
OOC:
So, uh... are we having to climb inside this portal now to reach Vhezyen?

Rolls

athletics - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Feb 6, 2017 9:20 pm
thedandyman says:
OOC:
So, uh... are we having to climb inside this portal now to reach Vhezyen?
Yes.

Leth stands beside Zangua and stabs at the ice with his sword, chipping away at the solid block bit by bit.

Felor can take a turn, then Vhezyen has to make another saving throw and you can all act again.

Rolls

Rolling stuff

Feb 6, 2017 9:54 pm
Actually, since Felor tends to post early in the morning, why don't we go ahead with the save/other actions now. Felor, when you post again, go ahead and take two actions.
load next

Thread locked