Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 6, 2017 10:38 pm
CON Save

Rolls

CON Save - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Feb 6, 2017 10:44 pm
Lacking any other recourse, much less a new idea of how to get through, Zangua continues hacking away at the ice. It's cold.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Feb 6, 2017 11:06 pm
Zangua's twin axes beat against the ice furiously, opening large splits in the ice that fall away in sizeable chunks and wedges under his onslaught, tumbling down the hill behind him.

Those who look after the ice chunks as they roll down the hill can now see a hulking dark shape at the base of the hill, beginning its ascent towards them.

Domarc, Leth, Mordred, you can take an action. Felor, you can take two actions.

Rolls

Cold damage to Vhezyen (halved by saving throw) - (3d6)

(442) = 10

Secret roll

Feb 6, 2017 11:12 pm
CancerMan says:
It's cold.
No doubt.

Nice Athletics roll by the way (the 20 before). Good timing.
Last edited February 6, 2017 11:13 pm
Feb 6, 2017 11:20 pm
Vhezyen can feel the vibrations in the ice behind him and knows that, at the very least, his new companions are trying to break through the ice. However, between the freezing cold and the lack of oxygen, he's starting to lose his mental focus...
Feb 6, 2017 11:38 pm
Through the eyes of Quggyeb, Vhezyen saw the abomination ascending the base of the hill. As he felt his mental faculties and body succumbing to the numbing cold, he gave the celestial minded sea gull a final instruction: If the abomination engages, harry and disrupt the foe. Assist however you can.

Basically instructing Quggyeb to use the Help action to give party members Advantage on attack rolls.
Feb 6, 2017 11:51 pm
Quote:
Those who look after the ice chunks as they roll down the hill can now see a hulking dark shape at the base of the hill, beginning its ascent towards them.

What is the range?
Feb 7, 2017 12:52 am
We're halfway up the hill, so about 300 feet to the base.
Feb 7, 2017 12:36 pm
Early in the morning!? I post about 10am thanks! It's you guys who are in the weird time zone(s) ;)
OK my guess is a) I dispelled the magic keeping the water at a weird angle, but b) the magic(?) that froze the water into ice was a one-off effect. The ice is just regular ice now, so dispelling didn't turn it back to water.

Seeing the others are busy trying to rescue Vhezyen, Felor turns his attention to the strange beast approaching from the base of the hill, racking his brain for any information about magical jewel-eyed skull-apes.
Guessing this is Arcana check rather than Nature, but add 2 if it is somehow a natural creature!

Seeking a way to delay the beast, Felor points his spear down the hill and beseeches Fjorgyn: "Supreme goddess, I call on you, here in your domain! Protect your loyal servants and encumber this abomination!"

Action 1: Cast Barkskin on Domarc.
Quote:
Duration: up to 1 hour. You touch a willing creature. Until the spell ends, the target’s skin has a rough, bark-like appearance, and the target’s AC can’t be less than 16, regardless of what kind of armor it is wearing.
Action 2: I'm going to ready Plant Growth to cast once the ape is closer. I want to cast it at maximum range (150ft), when the ape is 200ft away, and therefore already 50ft inside the 100ft radius (sorry this is so complicated) - diagram.
Quote:
Range: 150ft, 1 action, instant.
Choose a point within range. All normal plants in a 100-foot radius centered on that point become thick and overgrown. A creature moving through the area must spend 4 feet of movement for every 1 foot it moves.
What is our longest range attack? We're going to need to start peppering it with damage as soon as we can. 60ft is about my limit for spells. Hopefully the Plant Growth will slow it enough to put some hurt on before it arrives.
Last edited February 7, 2017 3:44 pm

Rolls

Arcana check (identify ape-thing) - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Feb 7, 2017 12:42 pm
OOC:
Nailed that Arcana check. It's OK guys I'm pretty sure it's just, like, a really big duck. Completely non-magical.
Feb 7, 2017 3:11 pm
You can still take another action.
Feb 7, 2017 3:28 pm
OK, will edit it into the post. Edit: done.
Last edited February 7, 2017 3:45 pm
Feb 7, 2017 3:57 pm
Mordred turns and looks at whatever it is that is coming up the hill. He thinks back to a little trick he used to play on the mice and rats in the sewer. Ever since he was a boy he could generate these little blobs of darkness that would stick to whatever he wanted them too, and for several minutes, the creature wouldn't be able to see anything at all. He thinks that now, as his abilities and powers have developed since beginning this quest, that he could generate a much larger blob, that would last longer. As soon as this thing shows its face, Mordred will blast one of these darkness blobs at it.

At 5th level Mordred gained the racial ability to cast Darkness once per day.

EDIT: He will Dash down the hill to get within the 60' range of the duck and hide if it is stopped by the Plant Growth.
Last edited February 7, 2017 4:00 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Feb 7, 2017 4:05 pm
notinventedhere says:
Action 2: I'm going to ready Plant Growth to cast once the ape is closer. I want to cast it at maximum range (150ft), when the ape is 200ft away, and therefore already 50ft inside the 100ft radius (sorry this is so complicated) - diagram.
Nicely played.
notinventedhere says:
What is our longest range attack? We're going to need to start peppering it with damage as soon as we can.
Leth's long bow has a range of 150/600. Which means he could actually have shot it before it even got to the bottom of the hill. Of course, he's hacking through ice.
rocksteady says:
As soon as this thing shows its face, Mordred will blast one of these darkness blobs at it.
Also nicely played.
Last edited February 7, 2017 4:06 pm
Feb 7, 2017 4:06 pm
Felor stands ready to call upon botanical aid as the monstrosity (all he can say for certain about it is that he has no idea what it is) lumbers up the hill. Mordred casts a glob of mystical darkness onto what he assumes is its face.

You know the music that plays when Sonic is running out of air in an underwater level? That music is playing now. Vhezyen, make a CON save, everybody else, take an action.
Feb 7, 2017 4:08 pm
Zangua ignores the activity behind him, instincts on never leaving someone behind kicking in full gear. He continues to hammer and hack away at the ice, trying to reach Vhezyen as quickly as possible.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Feb 7, 2017 4:10 pm
Well, someone has to die. And a nasty trap like this deserves to tally a kill mark.

EDIT: Nice! It's almost like I called it.
Last edited February 7, 2017 4:11 pm

Rolls

CON Save - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Feb 7, 2017 4:48 pm
Zangua's axes fall unrelentingly on the ice as he focuses single-mindedly on reaching his trapped companion.

Edit: That would put Vhezyen at 21 HP, right?

All other party members can take an action. Leth, we skipped you last time, so take two.

Rolls

Vhezyen cold damage - (3d6)

(122) = 5

*clatter*

Feb 7, 2017 4:57 pm
Domarc stares downslope at the monstrosity, and gives a what-the-hell shrug.

"We come seeking Pafthinel! We mean no harm to anyone - anything - on this island! But we will defend ourselves!"
Feb 7, 2017 5:11 pm
Does anyone have oil flasks? You could pour them over the ice and light the oil for sustained melting. If not, Mordred will do that when he rushes up the hill.
load next

Thread locked