Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 7, 2017 5:32 pm
Zangua hacks loose a large block of ice and flings it downhill, uncovering Vhezyen's feet.

The ape-shaped dirt monster approaches the perimeter of Felor's plant-growth field.
Feb 7, 2017 6:29 pm
BullOctorok says:
That would put Vhezyen at 21 HP, right?
That damage roll (1,2,2) was as lucky as my last CON save was unlucky. Vhezyen is now at 19/40 HP.
rocksteady says:
...light the oil for sustained melting...
Not sure an oil fire is a good idea (especially with feet sticking out after you mentioned it).

Either way, everyone's ice breaking efforts are much appreciated. :)
Feb 7, 2017 7:44 pm
Not sure an oil fire is a good idea (especially with feet sticking out after you mentioned it).

Yeah, I guess not.

Did the Darkness slow down or confuse the dirt monster? It probably doesn't have eyes and I just wasted Darkness.
Feb 7, 2017 7:52 pm
Hard to say, it's still running up that hill.

Felor, Leth, Mordred, you can take an action.
Feb 7, 2017 8:31 pm
Mordred will stay hidden and cast Minor Illusion to create the sound of the party running down the hill just past the monster.
Feb 7, 2017 8:41 pm
The dirt monster pays no mind to Mordred's illusion, but keeps ascending the hill. When it comes within range of Felor's spell, the shubs and trees and grasses on the hillside start to quiver and sprout forth new shoots of growth, thickening and expanding and slowing the creature's progress. It gamely presses on despite the hindrance.

Vhezyen's feet have been uncovered, making him reachable by touch-range spells. However, fire spells and furious hacking at the ice pose a danger to him now. He could probably survive a couple more rounds of cold damage, but suffocation is imminent. What actions are you all taking to free him?
Feb 7, 2017 10:44 pm
Darn it, I thought Enhance Ability might be able to help, but after reviewing the suffocation rules, giving him advantage on Con rolls won't do much. I could try to use my rapier as an ice pick, but that seems too slow...
Feb 7, 2017 11:08 pm
Party members can certainly share weapons for icebreaking purposes; you don't need to be proficient!
Feb 7, 2017 11:20 pm
Now Mordred's given up on the flamethrower, is there room for me to held icebreaking?
What's the deal with suffocation and Spare The Dying? Can I use it to keep him Stable even though he can't breath?
Last edited February 7, 2017 11:21 pm
Feb 7, 2017 11:31 pm
Yes, you can work on the ice, only Zangua and Leth (?) are there now.

HP drops to 0 when suffocation kicks in, so yes, Spare The Dying could be used to stabilize Vhezyen, as long as his ability to breathe is quickly restored.
Feb 8, 2017 12:09 am
"Leth! Put some arrows in that thing!"
Felor pulls the small warhammer from his belt and goes to help smash the ice from around Vhezyen's feet.

Rolls

Athletics check - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Feb 8, 2017 12:13 am
With Felor joining the effort, the party starts to free Vhezyen's legs from the ice.

The dirt monster slowly makes its way uphill, through the dense vegetation.

Rolls

A die roll

Feb 8, 2017 12:45 am
Zangua keeps hacking away, now that he's seen some progress. He focuses on the ice above Vhezyen's feet.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Feb 8, 2017 12:55 am
At this point, with three of you working on the ice and a Spare The Dying cantrip, you can free Vhezyen from the ice alive but unconscious. There is, perhaps, five feet of solid ice left blocking the tunnel.

In the time it takes the party to split and move the ice enough to free Vhezyen's head from the ice, the dirt monster has cleared the patch of overgrown plants and is now about fifty feet downhill from the party and still approaching. Careful not to let the loose chunks of ice crush him, Zangua and Felor carefully pull Vhezyen out. He is soaking wet and freezing cold, and has not yet begun to breathe on his own again, but you can feel a pulse in his veins.

Vhezyen is unconscious due to lack of oxygen and is at 0 HP. However, he is stable.
Feb 8, 2017 1:00 am
Vhezyen lies motionless, colder than a corpse.

Thank everyone. It's definitely a sticky situation!
Feb 8, 2017 3:04 am
"Avert your eyes!" As the monster continues its approach, Domarc casts Hypnotic Pattern.
Quote:
Hypnotic Pattern
Range: 120 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a twisting pattern of colors that weaves through the air inside a 30-foot cube within range.
The pattern appears for a moment and vanishes. Each creature in the area who sees the pattern must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes charmed for the duration. While charmed by this spell, the creature is incapacitated and has a speed of 0.

The spell ends for an affected creature if it takes any damage or if someone else uses an action to shake the creature out of its stupor.
Last edited February 8, 2017 3:10 am
Feb 8, 2017 11:45 am
Felor peers at the approaching creature, attempting to spot any weaknesses or clues as to its nature.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Feb 8, 2017 12:31 pm
Mordred attempts to put an arrow into the thing's back.

EDIT: I'll wait and see if Domarc's charm works before firing.
Last edited February 8, 2017 2:32 pm

Rolls

Arrow'd - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Advantage'd Arrow'd (attacking from hidden) - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Arrow Damage - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sneak Attack Damage - (3d6)

(155) = 11

Feb 8, 2017 2:14 pm
I'm pretty sure a heal would get Vhezyen back on his feet, if Felor doesn't mind (they stop bleeding and close wounds, so I'd like to think consciousness and breathing could be achieved). He could stay out of the front lines and help out in a support role.
Feb 8, 2017 2:46 pm
I wasn't sure if the ape had had its go and we were up again?
load next

Thread locked