Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 8, 2017 5:00 pm
Domarc weaves a twisting, psychedelic carousel of color!

Edit: The creature ignores the colors and keeps plodding forward. From his cover at the edge of the enhanced foliage, Mordred fires an arrow at it, but it bounces harmlessly off the creature's shoulder. If the creature even noticed the arrow, it gives no indication, but keeps approaching.

Rolls

Dirt monster WIS saving throw - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Dirt monster initiative - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Party initiative - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Feb 8, 2017 5:01 pm
Well, fart. My save DC is 15...unless I calculated something wrong.
Feb 8, 2017 5:08 pm
The creature stops at about twenty feet away from the iced-up portal and the party, leaning forward on its massive arms. Up close you can see that its entire body seems to be made of a conglomerate of dirt, clay, and rocks. It makes a low, rumbling sound from somewhere deep within its chest and shifts its weight from one arm to the other.

Party members, you may take your actions.
Feb 8, 2017 5:17 pm
Watching the earth-ape warily, Felor kneels down to help Vhezyen. "Fjorgyn, revive this loyal servant, he who has given his life in your service"

Cast Cure Wounds (level 2 slot) on Vhezyen.
Last edited February 8, 2017 5:17 pm

Rolls

Cure Wounds (lvl 2 slot) - (2d8+3)

(26) + 3 = 11

Feb 8, 2017 5:26 pm
Though still bitterly cold and disoriented, Vhezyen awakens.
Feb 8, 2017 5:29 pm
"It's not attacking," Domarc observes. "Perhaps we should extend the same courtesy?"

In Elvish, he calls to the dirt-ape "We seek Pafthinel! We mean no harm!"
Feb 8, 2017 5:57 pm
The creature does not react to Domarc's words.

Leth, Mordred, Vhezyen, Zangua, you may take your actions.
Feb 8, 2017 6:23 pm
Vhezyen shivers and spasms, bones aching from within as he pushes himself to his hands and knees inside the tunnel. He reflexively utters an almost inaudible prayer, teeth chattering, eyes closed. "Thoth, g-gr-grant m-me y-your s-str-strength."

Cure Wounds 2nd Level on self here, an effort to push away the disorientation, and the cold, with more healing power. As much as I want Vhezyen to get involved and help out right away, this just seemed more believable as a reaction to the freeze and Felor's healing.

I'm with Domarc here, perhaps we try to parlay with the creature. It could be a servant, or perhaps even another form that Pafthinel can assume? Who knows. At the very least, peace seems like a worthwhile attempt.

Also, it seems immune to piercing attacks, or non-magical attacks (I'm sure I'm not the only one who picked up on that, just putting it out there).

EDIT: 26/40 HP so I'd like to think Vhezyen is in good shape. Still heavily leaning toward parlay and a peaceful course of action.
Last edited February 8, 2017 6:26 pm

Rolls

Cure Wounds 2nd level - (2d8+2)

(76) + 2 = 15

Feb 8, 2017 6:28 pm
Yeah, I'm a little afraid of getting into a fight with this thing - I'm not sure we can do much to hurt it.
Feb 8, 2017 6:30 pm
Dirt creature hypotheses are encouraged, but don't lose sight of the fact that Mordred's attack rolls were crap.
Feb 8, 2017 6:46 pm
BullOctorok says:
Dirt creature hypotheses are encouraged, but don't lose sight of the fact that Mordred's attack rolls were crap.
Right. I misconstrued the 'bounced off' part. However, it was already threatened and hasn't started wailing on us, so one can hope for parlay. Unless it's just playing with its dinner ;)
Feb 8, 2017 7:16 pm
I think the full title of this campaign is The Secret History of Bload: Mordred's Attack Rolls Were Crap.

Mordred sneaks behind the creature and tries to remain concealed and ready to attack.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Feb 8, 2017 8:43 pm
If the dirt ape continues to hold position, maybe we should see if we can carve a way through the ice and get into the cave...unless that is what it is protecting?
Feb 8, 2017 9:47 pm
nubs says:
If the dirt ape continues to hold position, maybe we should see if we can carve a way through the ice and get into the cave...unless that is what it is protecting?
Based on the security features of this island and how it homed in on us through the forest, like it knew we were here (or maybe it was just coming back from looking for something--us?) I think it is very possible that it is protecting this place. Conversely, although seemingly less likely, it is looking to cause trouble here. Perhaps the Mad King and Pafthinel are at odds?
Feb 8, 2017 9:52 pm
After calling upon Thoth, Vhezyen feels some warmth return to his limbs, and reckons he might be able to stand up and engage in physical activity again.

The ice remaining in the passage is a few feet thick and could be broken through in a couple rounds. The passage is not large enough for the dirt monster to fit through.

Leth and Zangua, you can take your actions.
Feb 8, 2017 9:58 pm
OOC:
It turned around and started heading towards us after I talked to the stone eye. All it's done so far is get close to us and then stand and look at us. I'd rather not attack it and provoke the ire of the monster or the monster's master until we know that we have to. We know if there's someone living here on the island, we're gonna want to talk to them and get information from them - something that will probably be easier to do if we don't try to kill their 'pet'.
Having pulled Vhezyen from the ice, Leth decides it's best to leave his recovery in more capable hands than his, and turns to face the enormous dirt-ape. He sets an arrow on the string of his bow, but does not yet aim or shoot it at the monster.

"Hold." He says quietly to his companions. "This creature may not mean us harm."

He speaks up, talking to the monster, "Who sent you? Are you here to help us or harm us?"

Readying an action. If the dirt-ape attacks us, Leth will shoot it twice.
Last edited February 8, 2017 9:58 pm

Rolls

Possible Readied attack 1 - (1d20+8, 1d8+4)

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

1d8+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Possible Readied attack 2 - (1d20+8, 1d8+4)

1d20+8 : (10) + 8 = 18

1d8+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Possible colossus slayer damage if both attacks trigger and hit - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Feb 8, 2017 10:01 pm
The creature does not respond to Leth either, but rocks back and forth a little bit, emitting another low grumble.

Zangua is up, and who would like to give me a hot Perception roll?
Feb 8, 2017 10:05 pm
Perception!
OOC:
Edit: Hot enough for ya?
Last edited February 8, 2017 10:06 pm

Rolls

Leth, what do your human eyes see? - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Feb 8, 2017 10:16 pm
If Domarc has Comprehend Languages ready, that might help (assuming it speaks a language).

Also, Octo, if it happens to speak Giant (or one of Vhezyen's languages Orc, Goblin, Dwarf, Elf) he could understand the creature. Just adding that in case, although it's likely a reach.
Feb 8, 2017 10:17 pm
Leth looks at the skull embedded in the dirt monster's upper body. It's old and weathered to a yellow-brown color, missing all of its teeth, and has some noticeable cracks and scratches.

Edit: It's not speaking any language Vhezyen recognizes.
load next

Thread locked