Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 8, 2017 10:21 pm
OOC:
guys what if this thing has been on this island for a really long time and it's master is dead now and WE CAN CONTROL IT??
Feb 8, 2017 10:34 pm
One hot Perception roll on the way!

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Feb 8, 2017 10:36 pm
Domarc makes similar observations about the age and condition of the skull.
Feb 8, 2017 10:38 pm
This is a human skull, as far as well can tell?
Feb 8, 2017 10:39 pm
By every indication, this is an ordinary, very old, somewhat banged up human skull.
Feb 8, 2017 10:42 pm
"Could that skull be what is left of the King of Vorch?"
Feb 8, 2017 10:43 pm
nubs says:
"Could that skull be what is left of the King of Vorch?"
Right. Read my mind. The Mad King.
Last edited February 8, 2017 10:44 pm
Feb 8, 2017 11:20 pm
"It could indeed be the King of Malch. Or simply what's left, used for parts." Vhezyen emphasized the word 'Malch' and eyes the creature, trying to determine if there is intelligence behind the garnet eyes, or if the creature is simply a magical construct of sorts, mindlessly serving.

PbP efficiency:

Investigation here as a deduction of its behavior relative to intelligence. Maybe Arcane to assess it, now that it's up close, for any other pertinent details. Insight to determine what it's behavior is suggesting.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

Arcane - (1d20+10)

(2) + 10 = 12

Insight - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Feb 8, 2017 11:27 pm
The creature hasn't given Vhezyen much to go by, insofar as it hasn't done much besides advance to your location. It seems content, for the moment, to keep its 20' distance from you all and stand sentinel; whether it is observing or waiting for some action to react to is unclear. The irregularity of its earth-and-stone composition doesn't suggest deliberate construction, although the skull and garnets do.
Feb 9, 2017 12:07 am
Zangua spends his time rubbing some warmth back into his arms. The heat of exercise in chopping away the ice helped, but it's still cold. "Just... let me know if I gotta hit that thing."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Feb 9, 2017 4:39 am
Zangua says:
"Just... let me know if I gotta hit that thing."
Vhezyen deadpanned. "Let's hope he's friendly, and just looks like he wants to eat our bones."
Domarc says:
"Malch, right."
Vhezyen leans in toward Domarc. "I thought perhaps if I mentioned something of its past it could kindle some spark of recognition, or memory." He turns toward the apish skull-headed creature, speaking plainly to the group. "Alas, I'm inclined to think that perhaps, if it is indeed the King's skull, that it is simply a part used in magical construction. With a vestige of its past perhaps? Although I have studied much, I will not feign to be all-knowing." To Domarc he continued, finishing with an attempt at dry humor in recognition of his near death experience in the ice trap. "Much like you, and the tale you might tell of this strange island, what I take from here depends on whether or not I survive."
Last edited February 9, 2017 4:43 am
Feb 9, 2017 7:00 am
BullOctorok says:
By every indication, this is an ordinary, very old, somewhat banged up human skull.
OOC:
Ohhhh... I was under the impression this was a gigantic skull.
"Well... If it's just gonna leave us alone, perhaps we could try to keep moving and see what it does?" Leth asks, regarding the monster curiously before turning his attention to the rest of the group.

"Where do we go from here? Continue up the rest of the hill or investigate this portal further?"
Feb 9, 2017 11:48 am
"May as well investigate the portal. If they want to keep us out, there's probably something important inside. Doesn't seem like we're able to communicate with this... thing."
Feb 9, 2017 12:18 pm
Mordred joins the rest of the party, giving the monster a wide berth.

"I'd like to see what's on the other side of that ice as well. I think it might be guarding the portal though, and it waits only because we are no longer attempting to access it. Let's see what happens if we try a more subtle approach. I'm going to pour some oil down onto the ice and then light it on fire. Be prepared to keep our earthen friend occupied if he makes a move for me. Any objections to that?"
Feb 9, 2017 12:32 pm
Felor thinks for a moment. "It did seem to stop once we'd pulled Vhezyen from the ice."
Feb 9, 2017 1:46 pm
"I'm not sure setting the 'door' on fire would be subtle. Swimming through was my attempt at subtle. Like sneaking in through the front door, rather than breaking it down." Vhezyen looked at the scattered ice chunks, remembering how close he came to death, and addressed the group. Gratitude was easily heard in his voice. "My sincerest thanks for not letting me die in the process. I am most grateful to all of you to be alive."

Sizing up the abomination, he continued. "As far as the creature's intent, it was on its way before I swam in, before the tunnel turned to ice. Drawn by the standing stones, I am sure of it. Maybe it means to keep us here, and wants us to go in. Regardless, if it does perceive threats to the portal and the tunnel, I think taking another whack at the ice would be far less threatening than fire, and a better test. It would be strange, I think, if fire was somehow seen as less destructive. Imagine it was your front door, what would you prefer?"

We are about 10 feet down this passage, so something else to consider is whether or not it can even reach us down here. It's twice the size of a man and hulking. Does it look like it could somehow squeeze in to the tunnel Octo?
Last edited February 9, 2017 2:08 pm
Feb 9, 2017 1:51 pm
"I was thinking that when we hack at the ice, we are doing the violence, but if a fire melts the ice, we are just watching, but I take your point. At least the beast seems to stop if we stop, so go ahead, Zangua, take another hack at the ice, if you don't mind."
Feb 9, 2017 2:29 pm
"Its stopping might have nothing to do with our efforts on the ice, and the creature's arrival in time may have been entirely coincidental. Perhaps it only sees what the standing stones see, and we're invisible to it inside the tunnel. There are many possibilities here. Waiting even seems an interesting option... I wonder what it would do if we did nothing, and just waited. Would it allow us to stay in here? I'm not suggesting one course of action over another, just offering ideas."

Vhezyen considered the tunnel and the potential for danger again. "If it does consider hacking at the ice an act of aggression, hopefully it can't fill this passage with some kind of deadly element... like fire, or poisonous vapors."

Octo, I've pictured this island as tropical, with the dense trees and such. Is that accurate?
Last edited February 9, 2017 2:30 pm
Feb 9, 2017 3:07 pm
The vegetation is dense here, but the climate is temperate, not tropical.

The dirt monster looks too big to fit through the passage.
load next

Thread locked