Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 9, 2017 4:06 pm
Zangua rears back and chops at the ice, looking for the biggest surface area.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Feb 9, 2017 4:37 pm
Temperate, and late summer in the game. Got it, thanks.
Feb 9, 2017 7:06 pm
The dirt monster advances a few feet, and leans in toward the portal, but does not take any further action.

After a few minutes of ice-chopping, Zangua is able to clear the passage. There are a few dead, wet rats and other small animals at the edge of the ice. A few feet past this point the passage widens to about six feet and is rounded along the walls and ceiling, like an egg shape with a flat bottom. It extends for about thirty feet before turning to the left -- Zangua is able to see this by a dim, flickering light source from somewhere around the bend.

The dirt monster grumbles.
Feb 9, 2017 7:20 pm
"It does seem to be interested in the passage," Domarc says. "I'm a little nervous that if we all start going in there, he might get upset. But we are also under some time pressure to get some answers about this place. I say we chance it; but how do others feel?"
Feb 9, 2017 7:47 pm
So if we wanted to, could we just slide down the passage in a matter of seconds, or would it take us a while to climb through the ice?
Feb 9, 2017 7:50 pm
There's a lot of smashed-up ice clogging the passage, but it wouldn't slow you down significantly.
Feb 9, 2017 7:54 pm
I think we should go for it. My concern is that this thing can just shed some dirt, or reshape itself into a worm and follow us down, but I think it's worth the risk.
Feb 9, 2017 9:09 pm
If it can reshape itself, then I would think the focus of any attack should be the skull as I think that is where the animating force comes from. Perhaps water is a barrier to it.

Gah. Useless speculation. I think we should go for it.
Feb 9, 2017 9:18 pm
Scout ahead. See. Hear.

Vhezyen sends Quggyeb ahead to peek around the corner, tuning in to the familiar's senses to see/hear for himself.
Feb 9, 2017 9:24 pm
Quggyeb rounds the corner. The first thing it notices after the bend is the source of the light: an alcove in the tunnel wall containing a stone bowl holding a small flame. The passage runs east for another forty feet or so, then leads to a chamber about 40'x40' with exits in all the other cardinal directions. This chamber is lit by three bowls of flame as well, and contains a large, irregular stone slab set into the floor.
Feb 9, 2017 9:40 pm
Vhezyen relays what he has seen through Quggyeb

"I believe we should explore this further, with extreme caution. Death isn't something I find agreeable today." Vhezyen looks ahead, an eye out for traps, threats, secret passages, signs of life, and anything out of the ordinary.

Perception, Investigation, Survival, and Stealth as needed. Light cantrip to see.
Last edited February 9, 2017 9:41 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(10) + 8 = 18

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(18) + 10 = 28

Survival - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Feb 9, 2017 10:24 pm
Lol. It appears we have potentially entered a meat grinder :)

Those rolls were for the the first room, up to the first corner that Quggyeb looked around. With a focus on the 'looking' before the 'stepping'.
Feb 9, 2017 10:31 pm
Quote:
It appears we have potentially entered a meat grinder
Not necessarily. But I think we should shuffle the party in before too much longer; we're currently getting kind of split with Zangua at the start of the tunnel, Vheyzen's attention down the tunnel, and the rest of us hanging near a dirt-ape at the start of the water-gate; shit could get weird.
Feb 9, 2017 11:36 pm
It's really not too split: From the mouth of the tunnel where the water portal started to the first left turn at the end of the wider 'egg shape flat bottom' chamber is only about 40 feet. I'm not going all the way, just to the first turn. And a pointman is always a good idea, that way everyone doesn't get maimed. Or insta-frozen. I've made Vhezyen to do pointman stuff, with an emphasis on Perception and Investgation. And enough stealth to do the job.
Last edited February 9, 2017 11:37 pm
Feb 10, 2017 5:43 am
OOC:
I'm a little worried we may have just stepped into a Tomb of Horrors-esque dungeon...

Leth follows behind Vhezyen into the first room, bow drawn and at the ready.

"Anybody got some light?"
Feb 10, 2017 10:32 am
Felor waves his hand across the tip of his spear, and it begins to glow brightly. Eyes still on the ape-construct-golem-thing, he backs into the tunnel, following the others.

Cast Light on my spear.
Feb 10, 2017 12:13 pm
Mordred follows Vhezyen down the passage.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Feb 10, 2017 1:58 pm
Leth says:
"Anybody got some light?"
Yep. That reminds me though, I forgot to specify what I cast my Light on. Going with a copper piece Octo. That way, if I need to go dark quick, I can just cover it up by closing my hand. Also, if it's not too late, I'd like to tack a Guidance on. Pretty sure that Vhezyen would be interested in Thoth's wisdom at this point. Dismiss the Guidance if I'm asking too much.

I'd like to add that 3 to my last Perception roll, if that's okay.
Last edited February 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Rolls

Guidance - (1d4)

(3) = 3

load next

Thread locked