Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 10, 2017 4:16 pm
Domarc lingers at the entrance to the water-gate, wanting to see what the monstrosity does as the party slips into the tunnels under the hill.
Feb 10, 2017 4:34 pm
nubs says:
Domarc lingers at the entrance to the water-gate, wanting to see what the monstrosity does as the party slips into the tunnels under the hill.
Good thinking.
Feb 10, 2017 4:57 pm
Quote:
Good thinking.
I'm worried about it becoming a good beating.
Feb 10, 2017 5:11 pm
The bending passage that leads from the entrance to the first large room seems smoothly and gently cut from the hillside; the roots and stones that protrude from the walls bear no marks, but seem to have arranged themselves around the contours of the passage. The bowls that light the area are made from a dark, pitted stone, and the flames within them seem to burn without fuel.

Domarc lingers behind the party as they advance, keeping a watchful eye on the dirt monster. It advances to the portal as the party proceeds down the passage, seeming to observe their movement, then lets out a sharp rumble -- almost a snort -- and turns away. It takes a few steps away from the portal, out of Domarc's view, then stops. There is another rumble, and Domarc feels a tremor in the hillside momentarily, and then silence.

Beyond the bending passage is the 40'x40' room Quggyeb scouted. To the south is a tunnel heading upward, to the north is a tunnel that descends deeper into the hill, and to the east is a narrower tunnel with ascending earthen steps leading up to a solid stone door.
Feb 10, 2017 5:49 pm
So we came in from the west entrance to the room? Just trying to make sure I have a sense of where everything is.

"I think that beast is definitely connected to this hill in some way, gentlemen. But it made no threatening move as we came in here, though the hillside did tremble somewhat at skull-ape's rumble. It waits near the water-gate, but for what I don't know."
Feb 10, 2017 5:52 pm
Yes, the initial part of the passage ran south, then turned east, and so you would enter the 40'x40' room from the entrance on its west side.
Feb 10, 2017 5:55 pm
Octo, do you mind making a rough sketch?
Feb 10, 2017 6:11 pm
Domarc takes a careful look at the bowls with the flame; curious as to how they've been lit and kept going.
Feb 10, 2017 6:15 pm
Thanks Octo.

Vhezyen stopped, and considered their advance. This place could be littered with traps, both magical and mundane. Whoever engineered that ice tunnel is not to be trifled with. A chill went down his spine, followed by a visible shiver. "If you don't mind the short wait, I'm going to divine any auras in this place, look for magic traps."

At that, he stepped back from the passageway, and began preparations for the ritual at a safer distance. "As I do so, perhaps we should consider making camp for the day? We've had a rough time of it, and it might be wise to be at full strength before pressing forward. And I believe we might be as secure here as anywhere else we've seen on Vorch."

Performing a Detect Magic ritual.

Making camp might be a good idea here. None of us are operating at 100% in any capacity, all of us low on either HP, abilities, spells, or all of the above, etc. Exhausting ourselves before a long rest might be a big mistake too, especially if that long rest isn't a peaceful one. There's two ways in for this area, and a roof. Easier to defend.
Last edited February 10, 2017 6:16 pm
Feb 10, 2017 6:19 pm
Vhezyen can detect many echoes of magical dweomers here and nearby -- the fire bowls, certainly, are utilizing some sort of elemental sorcery, but other than those, no specific magical effects or traps can be identified.
Feb 10, 2017 6:51 pm
Okay. Detect Magic is good for 10 minutes, but I'd like to wait and see what the group thinks about a breather. This might be one of our best options for a pit stop overnight. Just inside a dungeon entrance seems fairly ideal.
Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm
BullOctorok says:
It's still afternoon.
This isn't about nighttime or anything like that, this is just about needing some rest, and recharging. We're beaten up in general, and moving forward is pressing our luck, as we don't know what's coming.
Feb 10, 2017 7:13 pm
Vhezyen gauged the group. Perhaps they weren't as winded as he had thought. Maybe it's just me."Screw the rest."

Took another look at the party's character sheets, don't know what I was thinking. Not as bad as I thought, just missing a few nice pieces of magic. Vhezyen will advance, still sensing auras, using the Dungeoneer's suite of skills: Perception, Investigation, Survival, Stealth. Careful for where he would step, or lean against, etc.
Last edited February 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(9) + 8 = 17

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(18) + 10 = 28

Survival - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Feb 10, 2017 7:17 pm
To the edge of the 40x40 room with the slab.
Feb 10, 2017 7:19 pm
It advances to the portal as the party proceeds down the passage, seeming to observe their movement, then lets out a sharp rumble -- almost a snort -- and turns away. It takes a few steps away from the portal, out of Domarc's view, then stops. There is another rumble, and Domarc feels a tremor in the hillside momentarily, and then silence.

It absorbed itself into the hill and is going to come out elsewhere. I'd like to try the door rather than the other earthen tunnels.
Feb 10, 2017 7:39 pm
A few roots protrude from the ceiling of the slab room. Flame-bowls are set into alcoves on either side of the exit with the door, and to the left of the north exit. The slab is gray-brown limestone, not quite even with the floor, but fairly flat and smooth overall, with a somewhat trapezoidal shape.
Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm
Intrepidly, Vhezyen enters the room, careful not to walk on the slab.

I'd like to check the room out for any interesting details, Detect Magic still running. Special attention to the slab before checking out the door. Also, I know I keep rolling dice. I just don't like the idea of holding up the group if Octo asks me to make some check. Ultimately just doing my version of passive and active skills.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(5) + 8 = 13

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(10) + 10 = 20

Survival - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Feb 10, 2017 8:09 pm
You don't see any notable observable details about the slab room other than what has previously been covered.

There are some lingering magic traces on the slab, like echoes or afterimages -- this may have been the site of some ritual in the recent past.
load next

Thread locked