Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 10, 2017 9:56 pm
BullOctorok says:
...lingering magic traces on the slab...
Any discernible type of magic?
Feb 10, 2017 10:21 pm
Zangua waits patiently. He scans the chamber with a martial eye, looking for ambush spots, defensible areas, and potential hazards.
Feb 10, 2017 11:47 pm
You can't get a strong reading on magic types, it's muddled and faded.
Feb 11, 2017 9:48 pm
Cure Wounds 1st Level on self.

Vhezyen investigates the door, checking for traps and anything of interest, placing his ear to the door to listen as a last step.

Rolls

Cure Wounds 1st level - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Perception - (1d20+8)

(11) + 8 = 19

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

Feb 13, 2017 4:29 pm
Is there a specific way of checking for traps or is that just Investigation? (In which case, maybe Mordred should have a look given that 1...)
Feb 13, 2017 4:33 pm
Zangua glances back down the hallway the group came from, double-checking that nothing is following.
Feb 13, 2017 5:32 pm
notinventedhere says:
Is there a specific way of checking for traps or is that just Investigation? (In which case, maybe Mordred should have a look given that 1...)
Finding traps and secret doors is actually Perception, Investigation is more for deduction (location of a hidden object, weak points in structures, what caused a wound, etc.). I could see how they both could be used for traps/secret doors though, as Investigation literally implies searching. Really, anyone with a high Perception would be good at looking for traps (Zangua & Leth get +6). Mordred seems a more socially oriented Rogue though, more Deception (+8) and Persuasion (+5) and less Investigation (+1) and Perception (+0).
Feb 14, 2017 9:13 am
Ezeriah says:

Finding traps and secret doors is actually Perception, Investigation is more for deduction (location of a hidden object, weak points in structures, what caused a wound, etc.). I could see how they both could be used for traps/secret doors though, as Investigation literally implies searching. Really, anyone with a high Perception would be good at looking for traps (Zangua & Leth get +6). Mordred seems a more socially oriented Rogue though, more Deception (+8) and Persuasion (+5) and less Investigation (+1) and Perception (+0).
Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of Rogue-specific "search for traps" ability.
Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm
Mordred is ready to try the door, once Vhezyen gives the all-clear.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Feb 14, 2017 4:56 pm
The door is a flat stone with no handles or markings. It's not clear how to open it.

Vhezyen does not see any traps or devices connected to it, and cannot hear anything on the other side.
Feb 14, 2017 5:14 pm
Mordred gives the door a push.

Rolls

Strength - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

Feb 14, 2017 11:32 pm
Curious as to the door's lack of a mechanism, Vhezyen takes another look around the room for anything that might provide a means of opening the door, or even a clue as to how.

Maybe we're just not supposed to go through that door yet, and the mechanism is above/below. Just spitballing here, but I also find it interesting how the flame bowls are arranged. Maybe moving them will make a difference? I could try to open it with a Knock spell. Or maybe we just take one of the stairways? If the latter, I'm for going up. Throwing another Investigation/Perception combo out there for a second look.

Paying particular attention to the flame bowls with the rolls below.
[ +- ] Knock Spell

Rolls

(10) + 10 = 20

Perception - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Feb 15, 2017 3:59 pm
Knock seems worth a try, otherwise looks like we might need to check out one of the passageways. I vote for the one that goes upwards.
Feb 15, 2017 4:59 pm
The bowls can be picked up and moved, they aren't secured to their niches. Vhezyen cannot see any switch or mechanism in this room that might open the door.
Feb 15, 2017 5:02 pm
Yeah, let's try the passages before we go spending spell slots. Up is good.
Last edited February 15, 2017 5:02 pm
Feb 15, 2017 5:41 pm
Mordred scouts out the ascending south passage. It goes for about 35', with a slight curve to the east. It ends at a large chamber, about 40'x50', with passages leading to the east, west, and south. The chamber is dimly lit by two fire bowls hanging from metal baskets chained to the ceiling.
Feb 15, 2017 5:43 pm
Mordred looks carefully around the chamber. What are the walls made of? Is there anything in the chamber other than the lamps?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Feb 15, 2017 5:49 pm
The hollows that make up these chambers and passages seem to have been smoothly and gently shaped out of the bare earth of the hill.

There are about a dozen lumpy pools of mud on the floor here.
Feb 15, 2017 6:17 pm
Vhezyen ascends the southern passage as well, taking an interest in the mud pools.
Any new auras picked up by Detect Magic?

Adding a Perception roll as insurance to Mordred's (in case DC 25 is needed for something), Survival looking for signs of life/tracks, and an Investigation roll as a deduction on the mud pools.
Last edited February 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

Survival - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

(17) + 10 = 27

load next

Thread locked