Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 15, 2017 8:13 pm
When Vhezyen approaches one of the mud puddles, it moves, lurching up to form a small vertical column of mud. It makes a wet spluttering sound, and the puddle next to it starts to get up as well.
Feb 15, 2017 8:51 pm
Vhezyen backs away from the puddles, oozing with sarcasm. "Now that's comforting to see. Nothing to be concerned about there, at all."
Feb 15, 2017 9:16 pm
The rest of the mud puddles start to get up as well, and begin to take on somewhat recognizable humanoid shapes, albeit small -- three and a half feet, perhaps, although their hunched posture makes it hard to tell -- with long, pointed noses and ears and small wings. They seem to be communicating with each other in a gurgling, sputtering language as they awaken, and start to back up to the south exit, eyes on the party, seeming to guard it with their oozing, muddy bodies.
Feb 15, 2017 9:38 pm
"Something tells me these guys would fight dirty," Domarc observes. "Do you think it might be worth trying to understand them?"
Feb 15, 2017 9:43 pm
"Who speaks mud?" asks Zangua. This time he does not take a defensive posture, mindful of how that worked with the bird-things.
Feb 15, 2017 9:54 pm
Domarc says:
"Something tells me these guys would fight dirty," Domarc observes. "Do you think it might be worth trying to understand them?"
"Yeah. Dirty. Funny." Vhezyen's eyes stayed on the mud creatures as he contrived a chuckle. "You've always got a line, don't you, Domarc?"

He addressed Zangua now, deadpanning. "You didn't know that Domarc spoke mud? Just as long as it's not too thick, that is." Back to Domarc. "Maybe you could just entertain them with a dirty poem, and we could all be friends?"

Vhezyen readies Chill Touch, and he'll cast it if combat starts. Nubs, Comp Languages is a great idea.
Last edited February 15, 2017 10:00 pm
Feb 15, 2017 10:17 pm
OOC:
Sorry folks, been busy this week. Also leaving town tomorrow morning and won't be back until Tuesday, and won't have much internet access, so you may have to move Leth along for the sake of the group while I'm gone.
Leth eyes the mud-men warily. "Mud-apes, mud-men... what next, mud-bird-lizards?" He mumbles. "Anyway, They seem more defensive than offensive... perhaps we should try another passage first?"
Feb 15, 2017 10:31 pm
"I'm most curious to see what Domarc can discern from their words, as long as we're here."
Feb 15, 2017 10:43 pm
"I think I might be able to understand them," Domarc says, "but I won't go so far as to say I'll be speaking mud. Although some people do like the dirty talk...or so I hear." Domarc winks and casts Comprehend Languages.
Quote:
Comprehend Languages
Duration: 1 hour
For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text

This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
So if I understand the spell correctly, I'll be able to understand mudtalk, but not speak it.
Last edited February 15, 2017 10:46 pm
Feb 15, 2017 11:24 pm
Some of the chatter has died down by the time Domarc casts his spell, but he can hear a few exchanges as the mud-beings crowd in front of the south exit, watching the party.
[ +- ] Mud-speak:
Feb 16, 2017 12:06 am
Domarc takes a step forward towards the mud-beings, hands held out low and to the side, not near any weapons.

"Do you understand me?" he says.
Feb 16, 2017 12:16 am
The mud-beings don't answer Domarc, but chatter amongst themselves.
[ +- ] Mud-speak:
Feb 16, 2017 1:13 am
Vhezyen stands ready and jibes, glancing for a moment at Zangua. "Mud must be too thick." His attention was back on the mudmen, addressing Domarc. "Can you make out what they're saying, or is it all just gurgle-gurgle, sputter-sputter?" Vhezyen had, at the very least, amused himself, as he knew exactly what spell Domarc had cast.

That's not like me. He pondered the possibility that his brain was permanently damaged from being frozen. Well, if it doesn't kill you...
Last edited February 16, 2017 1:14 am
Feb 16, 2017 2:07 am
"They don't understand me, but I do understand them. They understand that I seek to parley. They are also concerned about a child...and they covet stones and metals that we might be carrying; one of them has suggested killing us for them, but they fear they would be found out." Domarc pauses and glances at Vhezyen. "Our presence is causing them some anxiety. Now, I suspect that my tongue is too nimble to speak mud properly, but perhaps they know different languages. I shall ask in Elvish, but I doubt that they know that language as well...but if any others know other languages, let us try. Perhaps we can trade something of metal for their cooperation?"

He turns to face the mud-beings again, and asks in Elvish if they understand him.
Feb 16, 2017 6:04 am
"Seems like a longshot, but definitely worth a try." Vhezyen pauses in thought. "Stones and metals... could be gems and coin." Although doubtful of trying other languages, he knows Domarc might be on to something and proceeds to say 'parley' to the mud-men in Orc, Goblin, Dwarf, Giant, and even Thieves' Cant, while pointing to a gold coin, then them, trying to make a clear gesture of offering them gold, from a distance.
Last edited February 16, 2017 6:17 am
Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm
Felor regards the mud-people curiously. "Living beings, made of the very Werld itself! Incredible. Fjorgyn's wonders never cease!"

Are these creatures something I recognise?

Rolls

Nature skill check - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Feb 16, 2017 3:36 pm
Mordred nods to Vhezyen. "Or even iron." Mordred holds out a padlock just as Vhezyen does with the coin.
Feb 16, 2017 4:45 pm
Felor doesn't recognize these creatures at all.
[ +- ] Mud-speak:
Feb 16, 2017 4:47 pm
At the suggestion of any metal being offered, Zangua takes a step backward from the volunteers. And since everyone's attention is preoccupied with the mud-things, he spares a glance behind the party.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

load next

Thread locked