Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 21, 2017 4:52 pm
The west passage leads to a similar, but narrower chamber that runs north to south.

Perception checks, everybody.
Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm
Zangua plods along the passage, easing his pace when they arrive at another chamber.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Feb 21, 2017 5:05 pm
Perception

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm
Zangua hears soft, squelchy footsteps coming from some distance behind him.
Feb 21, 2017 5:30 pm
"Something's following us," remarks Zangua. He plants his glaive and waits for the others to pass, so he can take up a position of rearguard.
Feb 21, 2017 5:36 pm
Mordred does his best to hide in the shadowy passage.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Feb 21, 2017 5:50 pm
One of the mud creatures comes plodding up to the east passage. When it sees Zangua standing sentinel, it lets out a little burp of fright and runs back to join the others.
Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm
Still in the room with the mud creatures, Vhezyen allows Quggyeb to perch on his shoulder. "Perhaps we just wait here for this 'child.' We came to Vorch to find Pafthinel, and meeting the 'child' might further that goal." He glances at the mud-creatures. "If things turn violent, we simply kill them."

I don't want to skulk on down some other passage because whatever being is coming *might* be violent. Also, Domarc has Comprehend Languages running, so now would be a good time to communicate, if the 'child' is going to show.
Feb 21, 2017 6:56 pm
"I think if we are to have any chance at discussion, appearing to be skulking about and hiding is no good," Domarc says. "That being said, a few of us skulking about and hiding might be a good idea in case there isn't a chance at discussion."
Last edited February 21, 2017 7:08 pm
Feb 21, 2017 7:16 pm
"Agreed, assuming they aren't detected. If they are detected, it could send any attempt at civility down the gutter. This begs the question, then: is it worth the risk? I won't argue the point, it's just something to consider. For those who want to, feel free to make yourselves less visible."

Vhezyen will have Chilling Touch at the ready, in mind, assuming the possibility of immediate violence when the child shows.
Last edited February 21, 2017 7:19 pm
Feb 21, 2017 7:51 pm
You start to hear a low rumbling sound coming from somewhere below you and to the northwest.
Feb 21, 2017 8:04 pm
When it sees Zangua standing sentinel, it lets out a little burp of fright and runs back to join the others.

Aww, can we keep it?

Mordred will again try to conceal himself just outside one of the openings to this chamber.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm
The wall to the right of the west passage starts to bulge, rapidly growing in size. The mud-beings chitter excitedly and huddle closer together.
Feb 22, 2017 5:08 pm
Zangua readies himself, preparing for hostility.
Feb 22, 2017 5:15 pm
Are the mud-beings saying anything, or just sounding excited?

"I'm guessing this is the child," Domarc says. "Though I'm not sure of the parentage."
Feb 22, 2017 5:40 pm
It's the mudperson equivalent of oohing-and-ahhing, not really intelligible.

The bulge continues to expand, extruding a large mass of earth into the room. It separates from the wall, leaving it smooth and undisturbed. The mass starts to roll and unfold itself, revealing a dirty yellow skull with garnet eyes.
[ +- ] Mud-speak:
Feb 22, 2017 5:53 pm
"Well," Domarc says. "We've met before."
Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm
Vhezyen cocks an eyebrow, mentally steeling himself for the possibility of battle.

Well, Domarc has Comp Lang's up and running, so that might make the difference this time. Or things get violent. We'll find out.
Last edited February 22, 2017 6:11 pm
Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm
Zangua remains where he is, defensive. "If you can talk to it, now would be the time," he remarks, half-knowing the answer.
Feb 22, 2017 6:21 pm
"Hello again," Domarc says, shrugging. "We mean no harm, as before. We have come seeking Pafthinel."

Turning to Zangua, he says "My spell allows me to understand others, but provides no guarantee of them understanding me."
load next

Thread locked