Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 24, 2017 8:01 pm
Mordred, you can't really stab him in the back of the skull, as the skull is embedded in its upper chest region. Nice jump, though.

Felor fires a radiant bolt of light just to the right of the monster and into the wall behind it.

None of Zangua's attacks seem to land, the first grazing blow harmlessly shaving off loose dirt, the second pinging against hard rocks embedded in the creature's body. But as the creature turns to keep Zangua in front of him, it grants Mordred an opening, allowing the tiefling to spring up onto its back and plunge his rapier deep into its shoulder. The creature lets out an angry grunt as Mordred drops back to the ground and Domarc stabs it with his own blade.

Quggyeb flits around the dirt monster's head while the mud creatures murmur despairingly.
[ +- ] Mud-speak:
Leth, you're up!
Feb 24, 2017 8:38 pm
Can Mordred try and stay on its back with a goal of kind of climbing over its shoulders and stabbing it in the skull next round? I'll give you some rolls in case you want to say I have to make an effort to hang on. I'm also fine if you say I should have made that end goal clear before attempting it.

Also, Imma call this thing Dirt Strong Mad from now on.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/strongmad-3632.jpg

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Straight DEX - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Straight STR (?) - (1d20-1)

(10) - 1 = 9

Feb 24, 2017 11:35 pm
I'll give you the Acrobatics roll to stay mounted on the thing's back.
Feb 25, 2017 7:05 pm
"Pafthinel! We just want to talk to Pafthinel!" Leth yells, not overly optimistic about his chances of being understood, and shoots two more arrows, shifting a bit to the side but keeping close to the wall.

Rolls

attack 1 - (1d20+8, 1d8+4)

1d20+8 : (14) + 8 = 22

1d8+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Attack 2 - (1d20+8, 1d8+4)

1d20+8 : (17) + 8 = 25

1d8+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

colossus slayer - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Feb 26, 2017 12:52 am
Just a reminder: Zangua, Mordred, and Leth are Blessed, giving them +1d4 to attacks and saving throws (not that I think Leth needed it for those shots).
Feb 27, 2017 4:52 pm
Leth puts to more arrows into the dirt monster, which is now shedding loose soil from all the holes and gouges the party has put in it. As four of the mud-beings break away from their group and charge into the fray with a gurgling battle cry, the dirt monster rears back and aims two driving straight punches at Domarc.

Edit: The dirt monster savagely pounds Domarc to the ground.

Party, it's your turn, except for Domarc, who I believe is at -4 HP and unconscious unless anyone has some tricks up their sleeve.

Rolls

Dirt monster 2x punching Domarc - (1d20+8, 1d20+8)

1d20+8 : (7) + 8 = 15

1d20+8 : (15) + 8 = 23

Damage to Domarc, if applicable - (2d8+5, 2d8+5)

2d8+5 : (25) + 5 = 12

2d8+5 : (58) + 5 = 18

Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm
Hrm, perhaps Fjorgyn is not wont to smite those which are made of Her own flesh, thinks Felor seeing his bolt of divine energy go wide of the mark. About to move in for a more mundane attack, he winces as the creature smashes Domarc to the ground. Quickly he moves to the fallen man's side, and recites a short prayer with his hand on Domarc's forehead. "Gracious Fjorgyn! Save this brave servant's soul from oblivion!"

Cast Spare The Dying (cantrip) on Domarc.
Feb 27, 2017 5:35 pm
Zangua briefly considers more practice with the glaive, but mentally refocuses his attention on placing his attacks. He briefly shouts, "Incoming!" to warn his party as the smaller mud creatures join the battle. Reasoning that the larger monster should be felled, Zangua continues hacking away at the legs like he is chopping down a tree.
OOC:
Adding an Opportunity Attack roll if any of the small mud-things come within 10' of me.

Rolls

Glaive vs Rock Monster, Bless, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4, 1d10+4)

1d20+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

1d4 : (2) = 2

1d10+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Extra Attack Glaive vs Rock Monster, Bless, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4, 1d10+4)

1d20+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

1d4 : (2) = 2

1d10+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Bonus Attack Blunt End vs Rock Monster, Bless, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4, 1d4+4)

1d20+7 : (8) + 7 = 15

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d4+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Opportunity Attack vs Mud Thing, Bless, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4, 1d10+4)

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

1d10+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm
The first chop lands, and the second goes completely through the dirt monster's right leg, The maimed monster crashes to the ground, dirt and rocks flying, catching itself with its right arm. It shudders and groans, several fissures opening up in its back as dirt and gravel runs off it.

Leth, Mordred, Vhezyen, you're up!
Feb 27, 2017 5:42 pm
OOC:
Does that mean it's now prone?
Feb 27, 2017 5:45 pm
It's down, remains to be see whether it can move around or not.
Feb 27, 2017 7:58 pm
BullOctorok says:
Edit: The dirt monster savagely pounds Domarc to the ground.

Party, it's your turn, except for Domarc, who I believe is at -4 HP and unconscious unless anyone has some tricks up their sleeve.
That second attack against Domarc should have been a miss, due to Vhezyen's Portent of 6 being used once Domarc was at/below 21 HP (the monster would have totaled a roll of 6+8=14, which would be a miss against Domarc's 15 AC).

Also, Nubs, that was a little on the reckless side for Domarc to get up close and personal, don't you think? His poems and songs don't need to be that epic ;)
Last edited February 27, 2017 7:59 pm
Feb 27, 2017 8:08 pm
That sneaky Portent. OK retcon time: Domarc, the second attack missed, and you are alive and conscious. Felor, your Spare the Dying didn't really happen and you can take a different action this round.

Felor, Leth, Mordred, you're up. Take advantage of that Advantage!
Feb 27, 2017 8:08 pm
Suddenly Vhezyen saw moments of imagery flash in his mind's eye, brief glimpses of the future. Just before the dirt monster's second attack could hit home, he shouts a warning to Domarc, who neatly dodges the creatures efforts as its jagged stony fist smashes into the ground.

Positioning himself toward the monster's front, Vhezyen makes himself available to the earthen creature's attention, in an effort to keep it off of Mordred.

Trying to help Mordred get those extra 3d6 on the dirt monster; Advnatage to Mordred's next attack!

Also, there's an Advantage from Quggyeb still out there, which nobody has claimed yet.

Let's say that Leth has Advantage on his next attack, and Mordred on his, if that works out okay Octo (I originally left Quggyeb's up for grabs, but nobody claimed it).
Last edited February 27, 2017 8:16 pm
Feb 27, 2017 8:31 pm
Riding the massive dirt pile to the ground, Mordred rears up and plunges his rapier deep into the creature's back, attempting to place it where the skull would be on the front of the thing.

I love that we basically got to see the "vision of the future" that Vhezyen had of his portent and then it got rolled back, Prince of Persia style.

Not sure about a Sneak Attack when I am literally climbing on the thing, but as far as I understand, as long as I have Advantage, I can Sneak Attack, right?

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/e5/Beat-the-First-Colossus-in-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-Step-9.jpg/670px-Beat-the-First-Colossus-in-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-Step-9.jpg

Rolls

Attack, Bless - (1d20+6, 1d4)

1d20+6 : (13) + 6 = 19

Attack Advantage, Bless - (1d20+6, 1d4)

1d20+6 : (14) + 6 = 20

1d4 : (3) = 3

Damage, Sneaky Damage - (1d8+3, 3d6)

1d8+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

3d6 : (421) = 7

Feb 27, 2017 8:40 pm
When Mordred plunges his rapier into the dirt monster's back, whatever was holding it together suddenly fails. Its bulk slumps to to the ground, splitting into large chunks of damp earth that Mordred finds himself falling into. The skull comes loose and rolls away. A bubbling squeal goes up from the mud creatures. Two of the advancing mud creatures stop in their tracks, but the others keep coming.

Felor, Leth, you're up.
Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm
rocksteady says:
Not sure about a Sneak Attack when I am literally climbing on the thing, but as far as I understand, as long as I have Advantage, I can Sneak Attack, right?
Yes to the Advantage creating Sneak Attack. Also, my understanding is that as long as someone else is engaged with your target within 5', you can Sneak Attack. Ultimately, it's called Sneak Attack, but I think it 's more accurate to think of it as the ability to really stick it to someone who isn't able to focus 100% on you. As always though, the situation and what works depends on Octo's assessment.
Last edited February 27, 2017 9:02 pm
Feb 27, 2017 9:03 pm
Domarc reels back from the attack, feeling quite certain that the second punch should have connected and left him out on the ground. Time to re-think that whole heroism bit, he thinks, nodding at Vhezyzen. He turns to face the advancing mud creatures, brandishing his rapier

"Back you squelching dirt-heaps! There was no need for this!"
Last edited February 27, 2017 9:05 pm
Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm
Bit of a moot point this time, it was over for the dirt monster without the sneak attack damage.
load next

Thread locked