Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm
BullOctorok says:
Bit of a moot point this time, it was over for the dirt monster without the sneak attack damage.
For future reference, then.
Feb 27, 2017 9:12 pm
Quote:
Also, Nubs, that was a little on the reckless side for Domarc to get up close and personal, don't you think? His poems and songs don't need to be that epic ;)
Yeah, I don't need to write myself into the story :) I figured the monster would likely focus on the heavy hitters and not notice the mosquito; I also wanted to hang onto spell slots and still do something. Lesson learned!
Feb 28, 2017 12:05 am
nubs says:
Quote:
Also, Nubs, that was a little on the reckless side for Domarc to get up close and personal, don't you think? His poems and songs don't need to be that epic ;)
Yeah, I don't need to write myself into the story :) I figured the monster would likely focus on the heavy hitters and not notice the mosquito; I also wanted to hang onto spell slots and still do something. Lesson learned!
Yeah, that thing had the potential to pump out 42 damage/turn, with rolling a crit. Yikes.
Feb 28, 2017 2:13 pm
[insert the sound of a tape rewinding]
Hrm, perhaps Fjorgyn is not wont to smite those which are made of Her own flesh, thinks Felor seeing his bolt of divine energy go wide of the mark. About to move in for a more mundane attack, holds his breath as the creature's massive fists narrowly miss Domarc. That would have hurt had it connected! he thinks before noticing the small mud beings advancing.

Felor turns to face them and, brandishing his spear menacingly, shouts "We do not wish any more violence! Fjorgyn commands you, stay back!"

Cast Guidance add result to my attempt to Intimidate

Rolls

Guidance (add to Intimidate check) - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Intimidate - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm
Well look who got a natty 20.

The advancing mud creatures stop in their tracks as Felor rebukes them in Fjorgyn's name, then turn in retreat. Seeing their bravest compatriots turn and run, the remaining mud creatures scatter, running about chaotically for a moment until a few of them bolt for the north exit, prompting all the rest to follow them out that way.

Within a matter of seconds, the room is empty of mud creatures. The body of the dirt monster lays crumbling on the ground, nothing more now than a mound of earth.
Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm
Felor breaths a sigh of relief, glad the altercation has ended (for now). Perhaps the mountain-god Fjorgyn does hold some sway over these creatures made of earth. He moves to locate and inspect the jewelled skull that was once atop the dirt monster.

edit: 😎 Fjorgyn smiles on me!
Last edited February 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Rolls

Arcana check - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Feb 28, 2017 5:21 pm
"Do I catch one?" Zangua asks, quickly.
Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm
The garnets fell out when the monster was killed; they're buried in the dirt somewhere. The skull itself, caked with earth on the back side where it was embedded in the monster's body, lies a few feet away. It's an old, yellowed human skull with considerable wear and tear on it, otherwise unremarkable.
Feb 28, 2017 5:33 pm
Can we get a map update, Octo?
Feb 28, 2017 5:43 pm
"There must have been some enchantment on that skull," Domarc says, poking through the dirt with his rapier in search of the garnets. "I don't think you get dirt monsters without it."

"The mud creatures mentioned a Master before they goaded this beast into attacking us; they claimed we were here to do harm to the Master, though the beast thought we might only want to talk. So I think our search is for the Master."
Last edited February 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Rolls

Investigation - looking for garnets - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Feb 28, 2017 5:59 pm
Imgur is acting up right now, so no map update yet. There wouldn't be much to add to it except for rough outlines of what Quggyeb scouted.

Domarc finds a number of rocks and pebbles while searching through the remains of the dirt monster, but does not turn up the garnets.
Feb 28, 2017 6:32 pm
Let's go East towards the large room.
Feb 28, 2017 6:37 pm
Zangua sees that most of the group is interested in the remains of the large dirt monster. He elects to not pursue the smaller mud creatures, mindful that running off solo is probably a recipe for disaster.
Feb 28, 2017 6:42 pm
Or should we go south? That was the door the mud critters clustered around, although I'm not sure if they were guarding it or if that was just a reaction to us coming in from the opposite direction.
Feb 28, 2017 6:54 pm
Like Domarc, Vhezyen has an interest in the garnets, and sifts through the dirt with his short sword to to look for them. He speaks as an afterthought while doing so. "Those mud-men might have been guarding something important. Perhaps their precious 'metals'. We should see what lies beyond." He points past where the mudmen were, then examines the skull, in an effort gauge how old it is.

An Investigation roll to find the garnets, and History to gauge the skull's age. Also, I think we should definitely head south, to see what the mud-men were guarding(?).

Just a heads up, Vhezyen is out of spells for the day.
Last edited February 28, 2017 6:54 pm
Feb 28, 2017 6:54 pm
I'm not sure if they were guarding it

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I'm good with south if the rest of the group is.
Feb 28, 2017 7:07 pm
I don't see your rolls, Vhezyen...
Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm
Domarc makes a face at learning that Vhezyen is out of spells. "I was hoping you might be able to determine what type of magic created the "Child"," he says. "But I guess we have to settle for mucking about in its remains."
Feb 28, 2017 7:58 pm
Domarc says:
"I was hoping you might be able to determine what type of magic created the "Child"
"That, I can do."

Providing the rolls, then I'll do a Detect Magic ritual while the group decides which direction, to discern what type of magic had the dirt monster held together.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

History - (1d20+10)

(14) + 10 = 24

Feb 28, 2017 8:23 pm
How about give me an Arcana roll too, Vhezyen?

Vhezyen finds the pair of garnets in the dirt, then examines the skull closely. If he had to guess, he'd say it's a few hundred years old, at least.
load next

Thread locked