Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Feb 28, 2017 8:33 pm
Sure.

Rolls

Arcane - (1d20+10)

(11) + 10 = 21

Feb 28, 2017 8:34 pm
Vhezyen will also use the Detect Magic to gauge the entire room, the garnets, etc looking for any auras that pop up.
Feb 28, 2017 9:10 pm
Leth pokes at the muddy remains of the "Child" with the end of his bow absentmindedly for a moment.

"Hmmm... Yeah, south." He says, turning back to the rest of the group. "I agree, it seems as though they could have been guarding something that way."
Feb 28, 2017 9:28 pm
Not finding any magical auras on the skull or garnets, Vhezyen begins to suspect that the dirt monster was, in fact, an earth elemental, and that these objects might have been mere ornamentation.
Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm
Zangua waits patiently for the ritual to finish and the others to investigate. He instead keeps an eye on the tunnels for anything that might approach or be observing them.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Feb 28, 2017 11:14 pm
Satisfied with his investigative efforts, Vhezyen approaches the southern passage, where the mud-creatures had previously been splattering about.

Sensing a general consensus for south. Standard dungeoneering Skill checks as Vhezyen moves into, and along the passage, scouting 20 or so feet ahead of the group (if they want to follow), vigilant for traps, secret doors, any kind of threat, or anything of interest.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Survival - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Mar 1, 2017 4:28 pm
Quote:
Vhezyen begins to suspect that the dirt monster was, in fact, an earth elemental, and that these objects might have been mere ornamentation.
"Pafthinel was first described to us as a master elementalist. And the mud creatures spoke of a Master to it, convincing it that we were here to harm the Master. So I suspect the Master is Pafthinel; it explains the creatures we have encountered and the water trap. If he did summon the Child, would he have noticed us dispatching it?

We have seen his work with Earth and Water; I wonder if he is equally adapt with Wind and Fire...or if I'm just blowing hot air now."

Rolls

Arcana check - about the death of elementals - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Mar 1, 2017 5:32 pm
Domarc knows little of elementals, but it's not inconsistent with anything he's heard that they might merely return to the inanimate form of their constituent element upon death.

Vhezyen scouts ahead down the south exit, looking carefully for any hidden surprises that might either endanger or benefit the party. Finding none, he follows the 40' length of passage to a large chamber, about 40' wide and 55' long. The south wall is rounded. A little over half the way to the back of the chamber is a massive quartz crystal cluster, about eight feet wide at its base and reaching up to a height of about six feet, greenish-gray in color.

An ornate but worn wooden cabinet stands against the east wall of the chamber, paint peeling from the floral patterns carved into it. On the west wall, the party sees something terribly strange.

A large wooden board is affixed to the west wall, about 20' long and 10' high. Pinned to the board with metal spikes are what you can only guess is the dismembered, flayed body of a creature unlike any you have seen in the Werld.

The two halves of its barrel-shaped body, neatly bisected, are side-by-side on the left side of the board, showing the strangely geometric and mostly hollow structure of the creature's insides. Three legs are pinned to the right side, two intact, one partially flayed open. Three arms are lined up along the bottom of the board.

The creature had a smooth, pebbly, brownish-red hide; three claw-like digits on each limb; a circular, sharp-toothed mouth on the top of its body. There are notes scrawled all over the wooden board with a charcoal pencil: blocks of text, arrows, diagrams of the creature's anatomy. The language is not one any of you recognize.

Updated map:

http://i.imgur.com/sj3VY50.jpg
Mar 1, 2017 5:45 pm
Fascinated, Felor approaches the strange dissected creature.

Can I tell anything of its origins or what it is/how its body works?
Last edited March 1, 2017 5:46 pm

Rolls

Medicine skill check - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Nature skill check - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Mar 1, 2017 5:54 pm
Given what he's experienced on this island, the strange creature splayed out on the wall barely warrants the slightest twitch of surprise from Zangua. He waits patiently for the others in the group to perform their investigation, as he expects.
Mar 1, 2017 5:55 pm
Felor can only speculate as to its origins, but as for its inner workings, it appears to be almost entirely given over to a digestive system: the mouth on top leads to a large hexagonal stomach cavity that branches out fractal-like into many smaller hexagonal cells, some of which still have little deposits of crushed crystalline rock inside them. Outside of this system there are other gemlike masses, mostly up around the top of the body. Three yellow spheres in particular look to Felor like they might have been the creature's eyes.
Mar 1, 2017 6:00 pm
Domarc turns his attention to the cabinet, and examines it carefully before opening.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Mar 1, 2017 6:08 pm
Mordred examines the crystal.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Mar 1, 2017 6:18 pm
Domarc finds no evidence of traps or locks on the cabinet. Mordred examines the crystal, but takes away no particular insights.
Mar 1, 2017 8:12 pm
The cabinet has three shelves inside. On the bottom shelf are various digging and stoneworking tools: chisels, mallets, picks, hammers, shovels, a mattock. On the middle shelf are tablets, scroll cases, and a little wooden case containing writing implements. On the top shelf is a glass flask containing a cloudy-looking liquid, a folded green cloth with brown trim, a few yellowed bones, a sealed glass jar full of dirt, and a copper bowl containing a few uncut gems of varying size: a large emerald, about eight small garnets, a walnut-sized yellow topaz, and two amethysts.
Mar 1, 2017 11:06 pm
Domarc surveys the contents carefully.

"I'm guessing this is one of his labs, where he studies earth...things," he says, gesturing towards the creature on display. "Given that we want to be on good terms and talk with him, I'm thinking we should avoid disturbing things as much as possible...but perhaps we could leave him a note?"
Mar 1, 2017 11:58 pm
"I agree. These could be Pafthinel's belongings. Leave them be."

I assume Detect Magic would still have been running given the 10 minute duration. What all is magical in this room?

Also, for PbP efficiency:

Investigation on the cabinet, for hidden compartments/interesting details, and the like.

Arcane on the large central crystal.

Investigation on the wall specimen, to make any possible deductions about it.

Lastly: Comprehend Languages Ritual on the "...notes scrawled all over the wooden board with a charcoal pencil: blocks of text, arrows, diagrams of the creature's anatomy. The language is not one any of you recognize."

Rolls

Investigation: Cabinet - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Arcane: Central green Crystal - (1d20+10)

(19) + 10 = 29

Investigation: Wall Specimen - (1d20+10)

(12) + 10 = 22

Mar 2, 2017 12:06 am
"What, the pile of rock outside isn't enough of a message?" Zangua asks.
load next

Thread locked