Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Mar 2, 2017 12:11 am
Vhezyen replied as he continued investigating the room."The 'pile of rock' attacked us. Choosing to steal from an individual we seek council from would be unwise."
Mar 2, 2017 12:13 am
Vhezyen finds no hidden compartments in the cabinet, but does detect magic emanating from the flask of liquid, the folded cloth, and the mattock. There is nothing evidently supernatural about the large central crystal. The specimen pinned to the wall appears to have a digestive system made for a diet of rocks and minerals...the creature vaguely reminds Vhezyen of some burrowing, gem-eating monster he read about once, but he can't recall the name or any other details about it. However, upon completing the Comprehend Languages ritual, he finds confirmation of the rock-diet theory, as the notes generally comprise an analysis of the creature's physiology. They're written in a shorthand that makes even a literal translation difficult to comprehend, but Vhezyen gathers that Pafthinel or whoever wrote these notes called this creature a "xorn."
Mar 2, 2017 12:28 am
"I meant the message Domarc wanted to leave," Zangua clarifies.
Mar 2, 2017 2:52 am
Vhezyen felt like an absent-minded fool, beguiled by the secrets of magic and academia all around him, which was undoubtedly readily apparent.

"Of course, of course." He offered a redress of sorts to Zangua. "My attention was elsewhere, captivated by the wonders within the confines of this chamber. But you're right, that pile of rock is most most certainly a message. I think, however, Domarc intended a message of the more peaceful kind. Or, at least, one with less cleanup involved."

Stepping away from the collection of notes and general research paraphanalia, he continues, addressing anyone who cares to listen, eyes still fixed on the specimen, a hint of levity in his voice. "So, it would appear these friendly looking creatures are called xorn."

Vhezyen will fill in the group on everything he learned reading about the xorn, and which items have magic emanating from them: the flask of liquid, the folded cloth, and the mattock.

I'll go ahead and cast an Identify Ritual and I.D. the magic items.
Last edited March 2, 2017 2:53 am
Mar 2, 2017 4:32 am
Zangua stands watch at the entrance to the room, mindful of the hallway.
Mar 2, 2017 7:05 am
Leth stares at the dissected creature for several seconds, brow furrowed in disgusted curiosity. "I feel like I shouldn't be shocked by that at this point... but I am." He says, and shudders.

"Anyway... does this mean we should be on the lookout for these things now?" He asks. "Vhezyen, I don't suppose those notes say anything about how dangerous or willing to attack us this sort of creature could be?"
OOC:
Working a big conference this week. Ends late friday night. Will try to get on every night before I go to bed.
Mar 2, 2017 2:32 pm
Leth says:
"Vhezyen, I don't suppose those notes say anything about how dangerous or willing to attack us this sort of creature could be?"
Vhezyen looked over the notes and the materials on the board again, making certain he didn't miss anything.

Comp Languages would still be running. Can Vhezyen offer any more info on that Octo?
Mar 2, 2017 4:05 pm
"It looks like it eats ro-" Felor begins, as he inspects the creature's intricate digestive network, before Vhezyen starts reading off the notes pinned to the board. Felor stops talking, and looks vaguely irritated.
Mar 2, 2017 4:11 pm
Zangua ignores the investigation behind him, focusing his attention on the hallway like a dutiful sentry.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Mar 2, 2017 5:10 pm
Vhezyen identifies the flask as containing a Potion of Stone Giant Strength, the bag as a Bag of Holding, and the mattock as (functionally) a +1 hand axe.

With some effort, Vhezyen picks out a few notable data points from the notes on the board: xorn can smell gems and precious metals, they are unable to digest organic matter, they can burrow as fast as they walk, they lay eggs to reproduce, they tend to be non-aggressive except where their food is involved.

Zangua doesn't hear anything outside the chamber.
Mar 2, 2017 5:37 pm
"Someone leave a note with the... specimen, and let's backtrack to try one of the other passages. I'll say the eastern one, unless you lot have other ideas."
Mar 2, 2017 6:01 pm
"Indeed I do mean a note that indicates our desire to talk; the pile of rock is something I would take as an indication of hostile intent, if it were all that some visitors left behind," Domarc says.

He takes a piece of parchment/tablet and composes a short message in Elven.

Pafthinel - we have come to Vorch seeking to speak with you. We have no intent to harm anyone or anything here; we were attacked by the earth elemental after the mud creatures goaded it into believing we intended harm. We seek only information. I suspect you may be able to find us easier than we can find you. Please speak with us.
Mar 2, 2017 8:54 pm
Upon completion of the ritual, Vhezyen shares what he has learned about the magic items.

Ever the opportunist, and burgeoning treasure hunter, he makes a suggestion. "You know, we could use these items, at least until we find Pafthinel. Think of it as as an insurance of sorts, used to counter what may be Pafthinel's minions and various threats. IfWe can always return the items, offering that we found them useful as a means of surviving his security measures until we found him. Assuming we find him."

With a gesture toward the Potion of Stone Giant Strength and the mattock, Vhezyen continues. "Zangua, I think you'll find these useful, sure to compliment your strengths." His mind drifts back to his near death experience in the ice tunnel, then he elaborates with a self-deprecating jibe. "You'll find them extremely useful, especially if you ever need to dig through tunnels of ice again in an effort to rescue some unfortunate bastard."

"As far as this bag, please step back, and be ready..." Carefully, Vhezyen turns the bag of holding inside out to empty its contents on the floor, mindful to avoid whatever might come out of the bag itself, and to do it away from the rest of the group as a precaution.

Figure Zangua could use some kind of magic weapon if we encounter something that can only be harmed by magic, and the Potion of Giant STR would stack well with his STR when needed.

Let's see if there's anything in the bag. Bag of Holding is typically 4'x4'x4' in volume (assuming the usual size), so I'm curious to see what is inside, without just rummaging around or sticking my hands in there, emptying what would essentially amount to a large box.
Last edited March 2, 2017 8:55 pm
Mar 2, 2017 9:48 pm
Nothing falls out of the Bag of Holding; it seems to have been empty.
Mar 2, 2017 10:31 pm
A bit surprised, and, he realized, disappointed by the empty bag, Vhezyen pondered. Strange that such a useful item would be empty.

I have to ask here, just to be careful: I'm assuming it wouldn't, but Identify wouldn't confuse a Bag of Devouring for a Bag of Holding, would it? One's a bag with a creature attached to it, the other is an actual Bag of Holding.
Mar 2, 2017 10:55 pm
Zangua shrugs as he walks over to the axe and potion. "He might be dead, too," he reasons, and picks up both items. He then tries to get ready at the warning from Vhezyen, but does not know what to expect, so ends up holding his glaive out horizontally with eyes flitting about.
Mar 3, 2017 5:07 pm
You assume the ritual would make the correct identification, yes.
Mar 3, 2017 8:43 pm
Is everybody done here and OK with proceeding to the east room?
Mar 3, 2017 11:32 pm
A last second check for secret doors, then I'm ready to go..

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+10)

(18) + 10 = 28

load next

Thread locked