Chapter 2: Into the Cage

load previous
Apr 12, 2017 7:22 am
Tarrandar takes a long drink and sighs with relief before coughing again slightly, better than before though. He reaches into his coin pouch and pulls out a gold coin and passes it to Wimoo "No offence Wimoo but I'd rather pay our way as much as we can until we can earn some co....jink was it?"
Apr 12, 2017 8:48 pm
Wickari feels more relaxed instantly. His body remembers the taste and absorbs the alcohol with satisfaction. Wick remembers being drunk, remembers the lack of discipline and the ways his training slips his mind after a few drinks.

He stops himself before drinking too much. He slides the back toward his colleagues in case they want the rest. He wipes his forearm across his mouth "ahhh, it is worth just the sip."

He stands up and walks around the pub looking closer at the decorations and such while carrying on in the conversation.
Apr 13, 2017 12:27 pm
"Jink indeed" Wimoo says in excitement, though you can't shake the feeling it's all an attempt to hide a bit of disappointment at his failure of roping you into his debt. "I try to avoid most o' the Cant since I guess you're unfamiliar with it, but it always seeps in like razorvine." Rakk extends a meaty palm towards the gold coin Tarandar produced as he raises an eyebrow at the bard. "You gonna drink that much ale or just short of change?"

Wickari walks around the pub but there really isn't much decoration to look at. The place is as Spartan as they come, though the walls and furniture tell a different tale to his combat-weary eyes. Scratches crisscross most of the wood, be it wall, floor or furniture. The paint and plaster is uneven in color and thickness, as if the walls were done on different occasions. Or maybe in order to cover up recurring damage, as some burn marks testify in a corner that's escaped the painter's attention.
Apr 13, 2017 1:22 pm
"Let's just consider it a retainer for any incidental expenses you incur on our behalf" Tarrandar says to Wimoo. After a few moments to gather his thoughts he looks at the others "So, now may be a good time to discus our next steps. Wimoo, you've mentioned this Hall of Speakers a couple of times now - what can you tell us about it?" he takes another sip of his drink, his sore throat causing him to splutter somewhat even after just talking for a brief few moments.
Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm
Wickari will eventual returns to the group to listen to the description of the Hall of Speakers.
Apr 17, 2017 11:19 am
"Ah, the Hall" Wimoo smiles at the mention. "Tis one of the grandest buildings in the Cage. The heart of the city's politics and lawmaking,where a body can go and speak his mind. Of course, it's the Factols that do the big talking in the Grand Hall, but pretty much everyone can use one of the other rooms for a fee. Plenty of scribes outside, too"

Rakk's tusks and canines attract your attention as he smiles. "It's also the headquarters of the Sensates, like Wimoo here"
Apr 17, 2017 4:17 pm
Wick speaks without realizing in might be a taboo topic in a public pub, or might put a target on him "The Hall seems interesting enough, and we would love to meet your friends. What about finding a guild of assassins and thieves?"
Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm
Rakk lets out a sigh at Wickari's question. "You take this, you're the tout" he says to Wimoo.

Wimoo goes through various frowns for more than a moment, as he apparently tries to find the right words and phrases for what he wants to explain. "I don't know exactly how to put this, but I'll try because it's a nice challenge and it would be a shame to back down from such an experience. The Planes don't care what you do for a living, but rather why you do it. I understand most worlds of the Prime Material have civilizations where people gather in... guilds, like you called them, based on their professions and skillsets. Factions here are built around ideas. Sure, some concepts might appeal more to a certain type, but..."

He pauses as he sees the look on your faces. "Look, I'll give you an example. Remember when I told you about the Athar, back at the Shattered Temple? Well, their Faction is all about denouncing the false 'gods' and exposing them for the fraud they are. You'd probably expect to find a lot of disappointed religious types there, clerics who've lost or denounced their faith and you wouldn't be wrong to think that. But even the Athar could use a body that could steal a mighty trinket from a Power, let alone someone who could assassinate one!"

"Every Faction has a use for the shadier types, it's just that some are more shy to admit it than others" Rakk cuts in. "You look more like a man who would hunt those souls down, not join them. If you're looking for someone, you need to ask the right questions."

"That's true, thank you Rakk" Wimoo resumes control of the discussion. "Knowing someone's beliefs or the reason behind their actions is more likely to lead you to them." He pauses for a moment, as if looking for a specific thought in his head. "When we first met, you mentioned chasing some thieves stealing from the cellar of the inn you were staying. Is that why you ask? What makes you think they'd be part of a... guild?"
Apr 18, 2017 2:29 pm
Wickari glances at his new friends, "Well, I was after a group of thieves the organized in a guild where I am from. I am assuming they might be connected to the folks these two were chasing and may be part of a larger organization here. Since, I do not know their universal philosophy I am at a loose at what team they are on here."
Apr 18, 2017 2:56 pm
I listen with avid interest before piping up. "They were ratmen if that helps?"
Apr 20, 2017 6:51 am
"I've heard them were-things are a lot like their respective animals" Rakk the half orc barman ponders aloud. "I know that one big hairy guy that once came by turned out to be a were-bear. Makes sense that ratmen would be sneaky thieves like you mentioned."

Wimoo listens, waiting for his chance to butt it. "Well, one of the reasons people band together is to combine resources. You call it a guild, we call it a Faction, but I'm sure the Society will be able to help once we get to the Hall of Speakers."

"Or you could look for the Office of Vermin and Disease Control in the Hive" Rakk adds. "If anyone knows about rats in this place, they'll be there. Bet some ratmen knowledge must have rubbed off too."

DarK_RaideR sent a note to mcneils5,Moofsalot
Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm
Wickari turns to Wimoo "We will visit your Hall of Speakers if you take us to the rat catchers next?"
Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm
As Wickari speaks Tarandar holds up his hand "I'm afraid that has yet to be decided. Whilst you are of course free to do as you please I am not sure yet." he turns and looks at Rakk "Would this office of vermin control be run by another 'Faction' or are they more of a government function....that said is there even a government here? From what you've described it seems like organised chaos keeps things running more than any overall agency"
Apr 23, 2017 1:24 am
"Good point." then Wick leans in and whispers "What's a government exactly?"
Apr 24, 2017 7:42 am
"Well, if we follow the same direction we've been taking so far, we should run into the Hall of Speakers at the end of the tour. The Hive Ward, where the Office is situated, just so happens to be conveniently placed right next to that Ward, so you should be able to visit it once we're done by simply walking down a couple of alleys. That solves your problem, I guess" Wimoo conlcudes triumphantly.

"I don't know Phineas to be associated with any of the Factions, to answer your other question, but his business isn't run by any of the Factions as far as I know" Wimoo continues.

"Organized chaos is an interesting way to put it" Rakk cuts into the conversation. "Hits pretty close to home too, just don't let any Xaositects hear you say that. Or Guvners, for that matter."

"Like I said, most of the political arm-wrestling takes place in the Hall of Speakers" Wimoo continues "but I'd say we mainly get by thanks to spreading out responsibilities and making sure nobody steps on the Lady's toes. The dabus do most of the day to day maintenance and they answer to Her. You've already seen the Dustmen do their thing with the bodies of the dead. Guvners, since Rakk mentioned them, take care of the laws. They're pretty close with the Harmonium who do the policework and it's the Mercykillers who carry out the penalties. Then there's the Fated who collect taxes, so you might understand why people also call them the Heartless. Most of the other factions contribute to a smaller extent as well, such as the Doomguard controlling the city's armory, the Godsmen crafting things at the Foundry or the Bleakers running soup kitchens in the Hive. Some are completely out of the loop though, such as the Athar you saw at the Shattered Temple. And some are against the loop completely, from the peaceful version of the Indeps to the more militant versions of the Xaositects and the Anarchs."
Apr 25, 2017 3:52 am
Wickari's head is spinning trying to keep all these names straight. He convinces himself he will know one faction from the other when he sees them. Maybe they wear symbols "Do they wear symbols? Of their factions? Openly?"
Apr 25, 2017 4:08 am
"Well, now! That sounds complicated. I like it!"
Apr 25, 2017 6:28 am
"Most of them do, yes" Wimoo answers Wickari's question. "Not all Faction members, but most are pretty proud of their beliefs. Here's mine, if you've missed it" he says and pulls a bit of cloth from his rags aside to reveal a symbol
https://mimir.net/psmush/sensates.gif
"We're called the Society of Sensation, but most people call us Sensates for brevity's sake"
Apr 26, 2017 8:53 pm
"Well okay Sensate Wimoo, shall we continue this tour?" Wackari fixes his shield to his back and adjusts his gear.
May 3, 2017 11:40 am
"Of course. I hope this little break has been refreshing, because there's still a lot of walking to do. Just be a little patient, once we're past the duller sights like the Foundry and Armory, the Lady's Ward will make it worth the effort"
OOC:
As a reminder, while the ale was strong, Taranar and Xana still have a disadvantage on STR and DEX rolls due to inhaled smog
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.