OOC Chat

Jul 14, 2017 11:17 am
Full character creation rules can be found here.
Quick overview of the character creation rules:

Customized ability scores - Standard 27 point buy or Rolled (see the details for exact method)
Human and Variant Human only.
Choose one human subrace.

We have a few house rules that enhance feats and equipment. You may want to review these when considering your character build.
Jul 17, 2017 7:51 pm
Martial Classes
Barbarian - Small change to totem powers. Full details here.
Fighter - Champion, Battle Master, Scoutđź”—, and Sharpshooterđź”—. Small edits made to Natural Explorer gained in Scout archetype. Full details here.
Rogue - Thief, Assassin, Mastermind, Swashbuckler and Scoutđź”—

Spellcasting Classes
Spellcasting classes are rare in the DT setting. See here for the current balance of spellcasting class PCs.
Bard - Custom class - Limited spellcasting and more uses of Bardic Inspiration. Full details here.
Cleric - Maximum level 2. Limited spell selection. Details forthcoming
Druid - Custom class - Limited spellcasting and wild shape takes a long rest. Full details here.
Monk - Way of the Open Hand, Way of the Kenseiđź”—, and Way of Tranquilityđź”—.
Armored Martial Arts, no water walking. Full details here.

Paladin - Limited spell selection and other minor changes. Full details here

Prohibited Classes and Archetypes
Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Monk (Way of the Shadows, Way of the Four Elements)
Ranger
Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard
[ +- ] Notes on Spellcasting Classes

TODO:
* cleric
Jul 18, 2017 1:00 am
Was going to work on that Ranger today, but I see you've already done it. Looks great! :-) I already had a character concept in mind for this game but now I'm gonna have to change it because I've just got to play a Dark Thrones Ranger! :-)
Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am
This looks _really_ cool! I'm so glad I applied!
Jul 18, 2017 5:49 pm
Thanks guys. If anyone is interested, I need additional support in the mechanics for the remaining full spellcasting classes (cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, wizard). We need to decide if these classes are worth keeping within the game. This process requires us to review the 1st level and cantrip spells for each of those classes. Spells that are overtly magical (i.e. Minor Illusion, Burning Hands, Acid Spray, etc.) and wouldn't plausibly be passed off as some mundane explanation or simply attributed to the person being highly skilled or intelligent. (i.e. Jump, Comprehend Languages, Guidance, etc.)

Spells that don't fit well with our criteria either need to be
1) Change the fluff so that the overtly magical effect becomes mundane seeming
2) Rewrite with similar mechanics. An example of this is Paladin Ensnaring Strike replacement "Dreadful Strike" (see class spoiler above)
3) Remove spell entirely

Once the process is done for all cantrips and 1st level spells, you should make a recommendation to either keep the class with modified spells, or just drop the class from allowed options.
Jul 19, 2017 2:09 am
Can I confirm that the only racial bonuses are the ones above.
So +1 to an ability and a feat.
Or is it the human or variant race bonuses PLUS the above?
So variant humans getting two feats?
Jul 19, 2017 5:28 am
Yes, you pick 2 options:
1) Normal human or human variant
2) One of the human subraces

Yup, that means you get a total of +3 potentially to one attribute and two feats. But humans are bipedal, so you knew that already.
Jul 19, 2017 7:15 am
Needs Correction:
Quote:
Spoiler: Human, Alijanian (+1 Dex, Con, Int; Feat)
I think that's supposed to read (+1 Dex, Con, OR Int; Feat). Same error occurs here.
Jul 19, 2017 8:06 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Needs Correction:
Quote:
Spoiler: Human, Alijanian (+1 Dex, Con, Int; Feat)
I think that's supposed to read (+1 Dex, Con, OR Int; Feat). Same error occurs here.
Fixed, thanks.
Jul 20, 2017 8:56 am
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Constablebrew,Ezeriah,Oxbox,DMJ
Last edited July 20, 2017 8:56 am
Jul 20, 2017 11:12 am
Constablebrew sent a note to Ezeriah,Oxbox,DMJ,Jabes.plays.RPG

DMJInactive for 3 months

Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am
Constablebrew says:
Yes, you pick 2 options:
1) Normal human or human variant
2) One of the human subraces

Yup, that means you get a total of +3 potentially to one attribute and two feats. But humans are bipedal, so you knew that already.
CB, this is fine too. Original build though required the +1s to go to two DIFFERENT ability scores of choice. So then the subrace +1 was the only thing that could stack.

Plus there was a spend limit. No more than 8 points could be applied to 1 ability Score (before bonuses above).

Together, the framework let's everyone get to 1 or more 16s, before any race adjustments. Then they could max reach only 1 ability score to 18 (by stacking a Varient +1 with a SubRace +1). Second highest score could be 17.

A strong start for 1st level, but leashes character gen in before allowing 19 or 20 as a starting point. Plus, remember some Feats give +1s also. Those would come after.
Jul 20, 2017 12:10 pm
HP isn't max at first level?
Jul 20, 2017 2:27 pm
It is max at first level.
Jul 26, 2017 6:36 am
For some reason I'm showing up twice in the Game Details page.

A couple questions:
The prerequisites for the Monk is to be Alijanian or Sarceran. I couldn't find Sarceran. Is this a mistake?
I'm thinking of taking the stat roll path but want this cleared up: Scores may be reduced and improved by trading 1 point for 1 point. However, no score may be raised above 8 and no score reduced below 13.
Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm
When I click the link to go view the details of the ranger class it brings me to a post that says the ranger class is prohibited. Does that need updating?
Jul 26, 2017 7:27 pm
HypCo says:
For some reason I'm showing up twice in the Game Details page.

A couple questions:
The prerequisites for the Monk is to be Alijanian or Sarceran. I couldn't find Sarceran. Is this a mistake?
I'm thinking of taking the stat roll path but want this cleared up: Scores may be reduced and improved by trading 1 point for 1 point. However, no score may be raised above 8 and no score reduced below 13.
Sarceran has now been added. (There is still lots of world info to be added. Hold tight, it's all coming soon.)

What do you need cleared up? Whatever you initially roll you can adjust the results. If you had a high score like 18 and a low score like 3, you could trade points and adjust them, ending up with 13 and 8 or any combination in between. In the end, the stat that rolled high is still high and the stat that rolled low is still low. (And stats that were moderate cannot be adjusted.)
Jul 26, 2017 7:33 pm
Friartuck says:
When I click the link to go view the details of the ranger class it brings me to a post that says the ranger class is prohibited. Does that need updating?
Right. I've updated the posts. Ranger is prohibited. If you are looking for a ranger, you could go Fighter (Scout) or Rogue (Scout).
Jul 26, 2017 10:45 pm
Constablebrew says:
Sarceran has now been added. (There is still lots of world info to be added. Hold tight, it's all coming soon.)

What do you need cleared up? Whatever you initially roll you can adjust the results. If you had a high score like 18 and a low score like 3, you could trade points and adjust them, ending up with 13 and 8 or any combination in between. In the end, the stat that rolled high is still high and the stat that rolled low is still low. (And stats that were moderate cannot be adjusted.)
Aah, no worries, I didn't know there was still more left.

That clears it up for me, thanks.
Jul 27, 2017 1:16 am
Constablebrew says:
Friartuck says:
Right. I've updated the posts. Ranger is prohibited. If you are looking for a ranger, you could go Fighter (Scout) or Rogue (Scout).
I thought we were doing the mashup: UA Revised Ranger + UA Spell-less Ranger = Dark Thrones Ranger?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.