The Daimyo's Gambit - Game Thread

load previous
Jun 19, 2015 2:04 am
Seeing Cassandra advance at the ready, Ai Shan swings a leg over and drops from one side of his saddle. He advances to Cassandra's side, weapons drawn but not up yet. He eyes the goblin party arrayed before her warily as he approaches.

"They don't look like raiders. What think you? Spare or slaughter them?"
Jun 19, 2015 5:59 pm
Seeing the maimed goblins troubles Cassandra. The shark eats the smaller fish, but it does not deliberately wound and let live. To Ai Shan she says, "No point in slaughterin' 'alf dead goblins, unless they're set on f-in' us up." She lowers her shield to a more neutral position, and lowers her staff to her side. She hopes Ai Shan and Kildrak will follow suit. She sees the ground tremble beneath the goblin's feet, the look of terror in their eyes, and follows this in a firm but not overtly aggressive voice, "Ho, land lubbers! Will you parley?."

ooc Sorry I missed a post before posting there. Hope my edit makes things make sense.
Last edited June 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Jun 19, 2015 10:00 pm
Hearing Cassandra and Ai Shan say that the goblins are wounded, Kildrak scans the surrounding area for any potential ambushes while saying, "Aye, goblins ar'a a rotten, sneaky, savage race. But not likely to risk their sick and injured in a ploy like this. May'haps they've been press ganged into an attack...but most likely we suprised them as much as they surprised us, seems to me. Unless I'm wrong."

Rolls

Perception check to look for another ambush - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Jun 20, 2015 1:29 am
Kildrak looks around cautiously as Ai Shan and Cassandra discuss the possibility of parleying with the goblins. You see the eyes of the leader soften for just a second when all of a sudden the ground begins to shake beneath their feet. One of the youngest goblins, on the left flank, startles and jumps forward to attack Cassandra with his homemade club. The boss yells, "Greeb gnark!" but it is too late as a few others jump in behind the startled youth. Three total jump out at the druid to attack, weapons in one hand, iron pot lids and woks as made into shields with rope or strips of cloth in the other. "Gren! GREEB GNARK!" the boss yells again as the attacks come in.

As a bonus action, the young goblins use Nimble Escape to use the Disengage action to prevent opportunity attacks on them as the scamper around your area. All three use the Attack action using improvised weapons at a +4 to hit and 1d4+2 damage. They have leather armor and shields giving them AC 15 if you should choose to retaliate.

While the instigator misses, the other two that follow strike true against their targets, one grazing Cassandra and the other connecting solidly with the large mass that is Ai Shan.

Rolls

Gob 1 against Cassandra - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Gob 1 Damage - (1d4+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Gob 2 against Cassandra - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Gob 2 Damage - (1d4+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Gob 3 against Ai Shan - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Gob 3 Damage - (1d4+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jun 20, 2015 3:46 am
Ai Shan grunts with surprise at the goblin's ill-advised attack.

He drops his javelin, his hand effortlessly gripping his giant 2 handed sabre.

He bellows a wordless battlecry and attacks his 2 nearest attackers, one attack each, as his face breaks into a terrifying, mad grin.
Last edited June 20, 2015 3:50 am

Rolls

Attack #1, Greatsword - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Attack #1 damage - (2d6+3)

(34) + 3 = 10

Attack #2, Greatsword - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Attack #2 damage - (2d6+3)

(46) + 3 = 13

Jun 20, 2015 4:02 am
Ai Shan slices into both goblins which fall to his blade.

You reduce both to zero. Do you choose to do lethal damage?
Jun 20, 2015 5:58 am
Not until all foes have fallen, then it depends on what the rest do. The third attacker is still to be dealt with.
Jun 20, 2015 6:59 am
Urki takes aim at the Goblin in the chain shirt, believing he is the leader of this band. Urki hopes he is still hidden from them because his cover will be blown as soon as this bolt leaves his crossbow.

If I am hidden I have advantage and I get an extra die roll.

Rolls

Crossbow (advantage) - (1d20+6, 1d20+6)

1d20+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

1d20+6 : (14) + 6 = 20

Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Extra damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Jun 20, 2015 5:57 pm
Cassandra lets out an involuntary, "f..." as the two goblins attack. One thuds into her hardwood shield, the other gets round her defences. Simultaneously her sea-green eyes harden, and the green glass on the end of her staff glows gently. With a force above and beyond that suggested by her wispy frame, she strikes out at the nearest goblin to her, intending to knock it out.

Casting Shilleleagh as bonus action, then attacking. Non-lethal damage if this pushes goblin to 0 HP.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Damage - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Jun 21, 2015 6:52 am
Kildrak moves forward to get a better angle on the band of goblins. Seeing the three that acted have been dealt with, and the rest are still holding back, the dwarf intones a spell. His crystal focus glows with a baleful energy, but does not discharge.

"Settle down ya'wee beasties. Put your weapons, DOWN! Let's not go killin' folk tha'don't need it!"

Kildrak is using the Readied Action. The Trigger is "Any Goblin approaches Cassandra or Ai Shan with a weapon" He has cast Eldritch Blast and is holding it. (Ready Action pg. 193, concentration pg. 203 in the PHN for reference)This is of assuming the three goblins have been dispatched and there are no more obvious attackers. I'll roll for attack and damage, just in case it is needed.
Last edited June 21, 2015 6:58 am

Rolls

Attack with Eldritch Blast (if needed) - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Eldritch Blast Damage (Agonizing Blast Invocation) - (1d10+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jun 21, 2015 12:57 pm
Cassandra and Ai Shan knock out the jumpy goblins but not before Urki attacks the goblin boss.

His softening eyes go from Cassandra to the bolt in his gut. Those of you who have fought goblins before have seen their leaders carelessly sacrifice goblin minions to attacks meant to hit them. This one just stares at the bolt for a long second before looking back up to the party. You can see betrayal in his eyes then which flashes to anger as he spots Urki behind a tree holding a crossbow. He shouts, "Gren yark! GNARK!!!" He turns to the goblins behind him and points off in the distance adding, "Daganee!" All at once, the goblins start moving. The most of the right flank collapses on Urki along with the boss. Two elderly goblins break off to engage Cassandra and Ai Shan as an Eldritch Blast flies over their heads. The seven goblins that stood in the back ranks begin to run into the forest, heading north, away from the road. Fēng flies overhead, ready to cut off their retreat.

All attacking goblins start by using a bonus action Nimble Escape to get into position without provoking attacks of opportunity. Three with improvised weapons and one with the wakizashi use the Attack action against Urki, one against Cassandra, one against Ai Shan. The seven other goblins Dash away from the battle.

The Goblins take positions around Urki to pin him to the tree. Two hit (for a total of 10 damage).

Cassandra is hit hard by the improvised weapon in the hand of the elderly goblin before her.

Rolls

Gob Boss against Urki - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Gob Boss Damage - (1d6+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Gob 1 Against Urki - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Gob 1 Damage - (1d4+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Gob 2 against Urki - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Gob 2 Damage - (1d4+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Gob 3 against Urki - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Gob 3 Damage - (1d4+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Gob 4 against Cassandra - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Gob 4 Damage - (1d4+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Gob 5 against Ai Shan - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Gob 5 Damage - (1d4+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Jun 21, 2015 3:44 pm
Any qualms that Cassandra might normally have about fighting the weak or infirm vanish as soon as she feels the searing pain from the elder goblin's attack. She swings her shillelagh-staff against her attacker, hoping to stun rather than kill. "You old bastard!" she says, respect mingled with aggression.
Last edited June 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Damage - (1d8+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Jun 21, 2015 4:16 pm
Fēng clears the canopy just in time to see the goblins break formation and attack. He takes in Ai Shan with two goblins at his feet, and defending a wounded Cassandra against two more. He registers several goblins, including one who appears to be the leader, at the base of Urki's tree.

Master Qin's words echo in Fēng's mind: "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."

He tucks his wings and goes into a spiraling dive: Star Falls From Heaven. He aims a spear thrust at a nerve point in the lead goblin's neck where a perfectly aimed blow will stun him, and follows up with a swipe with the spear-butt to the back of the knees. He then plants the spear butt in the ground and, his legs fanning wide with the spear as his pivot, delivers one taloned kick each to the two adjacent goblins.

Two weapon attacks versus the leader: spending one ki for a Stunning Strike, and another one if he makes his CON save (DC 14) against the first.

Another ki for Flurry of Blows: one unarmed strike each against two adjacent goblins. Both stunning. So yes, I will burn 4 or 5 ki here, depending on the lead goblin's first saving throw. If either of my kicks land, target must save (STR, DC 14) or go flying 15ft (Open Talon Technique)

EDIT: Forgot to include damage rolls.
Last edited June 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Rolls

Spear strike 1 vs lead goblin - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Spear strike 2 vs lead goblin - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Kick vs goblin 1 - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Kick vs goblin 1 - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Damage vs. lead goblin - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Damage vs. lead goblin - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Damage vs. goblin 1 - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Damage vs. goblin 2 - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Jun 21, 2015 4:23 pm
Feng, make sure to roll damage with your attacks. Second kick is against Goblin 2 I'm guessing as well. It's alright though because neither kick lands.

Goblin Boss is stunned. Attacks against him have advantage.

Rolls

Goblin Boss Con Save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 21, 2015 4:25 pm
themightykobold says:
Feng, make sure to roll damage with your attacks. Second kick is against Goblin 2 I'm guessing as well. It's alright though because neither kick lands.

Goblin Boss is stunned. Attacks against him have advantage.
Yes, sorry about that. Yup, 2nd kick is vs 2nd goblin. In case the 2nd attack roll (17) on boss goblin is a miss then here's the reroll since Fēng has advantage from boss goblin being stunned.
Last edited June 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Rolls

Advantage reroll - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm
You drop the Goblin Boss with your second spear attack. Do you choose to do lethal damage?
Jun 21, 2015 4:53 pm
Non-lethal. I think from here on in except in extraordinary circumstances Fēng's attacks will always be non-lethal but I'll try to remember to always specify :-)
Last edited June 21, 2015 6:55 pm
Jun 21, 2015 6:55 pm
Ai Shan bellows again, his smile a twisted rictus of hate.

I attack the two nearest goblins, one attack each and then use my movement action to advance to Urki's position and engage the goblins surrounding him.

Rolls

attk 1 - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

dmg 1 - (2d6+3)

(61) + 3 = 10

attk 2 - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

dmg 2 - (2d6+3)

(63) + 3 = 12

Jun 21, 2015 8:31 pm
As the Goblins close in on me two hit me and I get a kick of adrenaline and cast Shield of Faith on myself.

I don't move and pull my trusty mace out. I look at the closest goblin and I swing hoping to finish him in one blow.

"Bring it you god forsaken creatures!" I mutter out loud.

Rolls

Mace attack - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Mace damage - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Jun 21, 2015 10:21 pm
[b]"Grobi'ba' skardall!" Kildrak exclaims as his Eldritch blast goes high. He then casts another directed at the boss as it descends on Urki.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast vs Gob Boss - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Agonizing Eldritch Blast damage - (2d10+3)

(32) + 3 = 8

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.