5e Martial Superiority

Nov 7, 2018 9:57 pm
I wanted to get some feedback on a homebrew to make the Battle Master's Combat Superiority feature available to all martial classes. My goal is to make martial classes have a little more utility. The basic idea is to count the number of "martial levels" the character has and grant combat maneuvers and superiority dice based on that.

I hope that this change comes off as extremely simple and consistent with the rest of 5e.

Link to the writeup on GM's Binder: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LQjbFRpqkU-6YrcMqbc
[ +- ] Full Text
Nov 7, 2018 10:01 pm
I think one of the worst things they did was to lock a lot of this cool combat utility behind a single fighter archetype. I don't know how the balance will play out, but I like the concept for sure.
Nov 8, 2018 12:54 am
Naatkinson says:
I think one of the worst things they did was to lock a lot of this cool combat utility behind a single fighter archetype. I don't know how the balance will play out, but I like the concept for sure.
Probably because the Battle Master is supposed to be 5e's take on 3.5's Marshall (which itself later became the 4e's Warlord)...
Nov 8, 2018 1:06 am
kalajel says:
Naatkinson says:
Probably because the Battle Master is supposed to be 5e's take on 3.5's Marshall (which itself later became the 4e's Warlord)...
I get what they were going for, but I don't think it was a good choice at all
Nov 8, 2018 5:46 am
Conceptually it’s a cool idea, but it doesn’t really balance out, not without taking something from the martial classes.

I have some notes somewhere on a class built around supiriority die somewhere, I’ll find it and beaten it up to share here.
Nov 14, 2018 11:39 am
Hmm a bit annoyed that I couldn’t seem to find all my notes as there is certainly stuff missing. Here’s a link to what I’ve found so far.

The Warlord

The Advancement table is a bit of a mess, and I couldn’t find the notes on what the stances and tactics were. From memory though, the stances have little effects that had rather specific triggers and granted a bonus 1d6 to damage. The Simple Tactics were just the maneuvers. The complex and grand tactics were supposed to occurs on large scales, an example of a complex tactic might be Cleaving blow: When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one complex tactic slot to attempt to damage all creatures you can reach with the same attack. If the original attack roll would hit the any creature within your reach, it takes damage equal to the number you roll on your tactic dice. The damage is of the same type dealt by the original attack.

A grand tactic should shape the whole battle field, the easiest example would be something g along the lines of Breaking Display: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one grand tactic slot to attempt to frighten your enemies. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and all enemies that can see you within 60 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

I’ll not that this was built for my home brew setting, which doesn’t use feats so there may be some balance issues if you allow for feats.
Nov 14, 2018 11:40 am
In fact this hasnt been tested, and I think I can see a few issues here, but I’ll be interested to here any thoughts.
Nov 14, 2018 1:18 pm
I like it that advanced strategic combat represented by the Combat Superiority features of the Battlemaster are one archetype of fighter for several reasons:
* because Fighter is all about being a dedicated, well trained and focused combatant
* because it is one of the two rich Fighter archetypes
* because having access to that option it is what makes Fighter unique

Additionally, I'd like to point at the fact that the Martial Adept feat opens Combat Superiority features to any other class that would like to gain such a unique feature. Acquiring that feat represents the dedication it takes to become such a tactician.

For those reasons, I think the current design is good and that giving a free feat to every martial class is unnecessary.
But I think that what you called "martial levels" could get somewhere, on part with the spellcasting advancement of multi-classed characters.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.