1.0 Introduction

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm
Waterdeep is divided into many wards, with Castle Ward being centrally located. The ward is the location of Waterdeep's castle, and many retired adventurers. Maybe out of place in the affluent surroundings is Roland's Orphanage, a well run facility that cares for children and young adults who are homeless and without parents. Roland's adventuring days are over now, but he continues his good deeds by investing his wealth by looking after those less fortunate than himself.

You are an orphan in Roland's care, and you know yourself to be fortunate. After all, Roland is a paladin, and you could not hope for a fairer and more noble patron. Today is another day, a bright sunny morning, and the aromatic lure of bacon beckons from the kitchen downstairs. Your stomach rumbles, because you know Erika is a splendid cook, and you quickly dress and descend to the dining room. Tables are set for eight, and you take your normal seat with seven of your friends.

You may introduce yourselves...
Sep 19, 2015 5:34 pm
"Good Morning!"

Szent greets Erika with a smile as he enters the dining room, a scene he has repeated for the last 12 years, ever since Roland took him in at the age of six. Taking his place at the table the young paladin bows his head for a quick and silent prayer before continuing to chat with the cook. "Any signs of the others? I'm famished!"
Last edited September 19, 2015 5:41 pm
Sep 19, 2015 6:44 pm
Erika pauses to acknowledge Szent as she busies herself around the room, greeting the early arrivals. "Good morning Szent" she announces boisterously, slapping him on the back slightly harder than he likes. "You are always famished, lad." She shakes her head in friendly admonishment. "Go ahead and ring the bell. You won't be eating until everyone is seated."

Erika is a human female, and both her frame and personality are larger than life. She is perhaps 30 years old, slightly overweight, but her features are beautiful and her green eyes shine with humor and enthusiasm. Her clothes are matronly and grey, but even they don't prevent her personality from shining through and somehow illuminating the room. If the canteen was the whole of Waterdeep, she would be the sun. Her red hair is tied back in a bun, and she is wearing large white apron, stained with an assortment of foods clearly identifying her as the orphanage's cook.
Sep 19, 2015 7:16 pm
Only softs steps announce the arrival of Seneia Sorrow. It's difficult to decide whether she has been aptly or poorly named. Born a street urchin, she has not lived an easy life, but she seems to bear no obvious signs of it. Friendly and positive, a great admirer of all things beautiful, it's easy to think that no sorrows burden those slender shoulders.

"Good morning", Seneia says and sits down, immediately tilting the chair back, as she tends to do. She is dressed in her usual simple, loose-fitting clothes and her hair remains tied behind her head after her morning kata. Her rather big horns, curling down the sides of her head, have been painted in bright, seasonal colours.
Sep 20, 2015 1:28 am
A tall female strides authoritively into the canteen and nonchalantly says to Seneia, "All four legs on the floor, girl. How many times have I told you?" She doesn't wait for a response and rings the bell to alert the rest of the orphanage that it is breakfast time. She then makes her way to the head table. You all know her, of course, as she has been running the school in the orphanage for years. This is Ms Matilda, a woman respected by most, but feared by others, because she takes "no shit from no one" as some kids have been heard to say within these walls (much to the disgust of Roland, as he likes to discourage foul language).

Matilda is a female elf, and she bears the posture of arrogance and power, much like many elves. She is dressed in a black gown, and her eyes dance around the room, alertly watching the arriving orphans, seeking any hints of misbehavior. You know her to be a spell caster, but she maintains an air of mystery by not revealing much about herself.
Sep 20, 2015 3:15 pm
"Bacon!!" I run down the stairs and give Erika a quick hug before I seat myself next to Szent. "Good morning Ms Matilda!" I nod to the others at the table while eagerly awaiting the arrival of breakfast.
Sep 20, 2015 3:35 pm
Hearing the bell, Weylan drops the bit of boot leather he was working on, hurriedly dons his own shoes (Actual shoes!), and runs down to the dining room, eager for Erika's cooking. He's relieved to not be the last one to the table this time, and he grins at Alanya, Seneia, and Szent as he joins them. The halfling then tries to adopt a serious demeanor for "Miz Matilda's" haughty eyes, which is difficult. Meal times are his favorite times of day - not because of the food (although it's good), but because of the fellowship in a group.
Sep 21, 2015 3:33 am
More children arrive in the room, and the place is becoming fairly noisy now. Your table is close to the head table because you are amongst the eldest in the orphanage. The head table seats 4, and Ms Matilda is already seated. The other chairs are for Roland and Travis, you know that much, and they usually arrive earlier than this. The fourth always remains vacant, reserved for Erika, who is always too busy to sit. The orphanage cares for about fifty children, and is renowned for being the most caring Waterdeep has to offer.

Your group is now seating four, namely Szent, Seneia, Alanya and Weylan, but you expect more will arrive. No food will be served until all are seated. You might as well chat until all seats are occupied.
Sep 21, 2015 5:27 am
Seneia watches the younger kids arrive and gives couple of them a smile and nod as they pass by. She's not good at getting to know such a large number of people, but there are few she gets along with really well.

She reaches behind her back and starts untying her hair. "So, any good dreams last night?" she ask. "I remember dreaming about the fall, and the scent of harvest. I hope Erika has some apples, I'd really like one after that."
Sep 21, 2015 11:51 am
"I had another dream about the faceless prince. We were chased by direwolves into a meadow, and together we fought them off with just sticks and rocks. I saved his life, in fact. Then I sang for him and he fell madly in love with me." I shrug. "I also had a dream that I was flying through the air and landed in a pile of orange feathers. I think I like your dream better. At least that's more likely to happen than my dreams. Plus I love apples. You know, your horns look lovely today, Seneia."

I look across the table at the others who are here. "Weyland, you ok? Your face is all scrunched up. Szent, doesn't his face look all scrunched up?"
Last edited September 21, 2015 3:12 pm
Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm
The bell rung for a while, but she had to put all the reagents back in the case and even if she knew the other would blame her to be late she had to do it. It couldn't help, that was her way and the art needed respect. Once done Feylinde run toward the common room, stopping just a moment to check her dress and set her long red hair behind her right ear, then the half-elf went inside.

"Sorry to be late guys" she said slowly moving to her sit at the table. "Happy not to be the last one" added with a smile, her green eyes pointed at the empty sits.
Sep 21, 2015 3:27 pm
Elden walks into the room with a bright smile on his face, and takes a seat at the table with his friends, "Good morning everyone! Sorry I'm a bit late, I had to finish some morning chores, took a bit longer than I expected."

Elden is a young man of 19 years, with sandy brown hair, tan skin, and bright green eyes. He always has a smile on his face and is well known in the orphanage for his tireless enthusiasm to help others. He is often seen with his head bowed in prayer or helping out at the temple of Lathander with Travis.
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:08 pm
Sep 21, 2015 5:05 pm
Weylan's face was scrunched up at the talk of dreams, as his dreams involved fire and abandonment, sense impressions of the loss of his tribal village as a child. He's embarrassed to show any signs of his disturbance to the others, especially to Alanya.

*Of course the prince would fall madly in love with her...* he thinks.

The stocky halfling is both fascinated and intimidated by Alanya: her training as a musician is so outside of his experience, it's like she's an exotic alien come to visit his world. He is similarly curious about Feylinde's artistic bent, but he relates more to Seneia's casual attitude about authority. He's closest to Elden and Szent, though: he instinctively trusts Elden as a cleric (they took him in and rescued him from the wilderness) and appreciates Szent's capacity with weapons. Weylan pulls out the seat next to him for Elden to join them.

(edit: formatting per game rules discussion)
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:24 pm
Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm
Six are now seated at the table of eight. Seniors are expected to set the example of punctuality at meal times, so the delay is surprising to some. The canteen is full now, and the younger kids chatter excitedly. With only 50 people in a room it is surprising how noisy it can be.

Ms Matilda rings the bell again, and some areas of the room quieten somewhat. There are hatches along the wall adjacent to the kitchen, but they remain firmly closed. Everyone knows that when everyone is seated and quiet the hatches will open and food will be served. Some glance over expectantly, others keep talking, a couple of toddlers run around regardless.

You know the bell ring is a warning because Roland hasn't arrived yet, so you continue talking.
Sep 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Feylinde rose her eyebrows at Elden entrance, "Why are you shouting Elden? We're not deaf." Her serious face suddenly changed to cheerful as she started laughing.

Then Feylinde turned her attection to the halfling "What's up Weylan? You seems hadn't a good night."
Sep 21, 2015 6:18 pm
Rufio sneaks over the back wall into the orphanage. Normally he would be doing this long before first light, but in last night's brawl he had gotten careless and had actually taken a beating and ended up sleeping it off behind the tavern's stack of firewood. Landing softly in the cabbage patch behind the orphanage's kitchen, Rufio considers sneaking into his room first to get a change of clothes but he heard the breakfast bells long ago and knows he can't afford any further delays. The 16-year old boy dunks his head into the rainwater barrel at the kitchen's backdoor and shakes the water out of his spiked, red-striped hair. He thinks he has washed off most of the caked blood from his knuckles. He dashes through the kitchen, weaving and dodging his way through cooks and servers, snatching an apple off of a basket for good measure. Glad that Roland and Travis aren't around yet, he makes a dash for the table where he sees his friends are already seated. With a wolfish grin and a playful punch on Weylan's shoulder, Rufio slinks into his seat. He glances in Miss Miranda's direction to check if she has noticed him sneaking in...
Sep 21, 2015 6:48 pm
Weylan responds to Feylinde, nodding.

"Yeah, I had bad dreams again. I'd much rather have dreamed about Seneia and her apples."

It takes Weylan a few moments to figure out why everyone else is snickering at that, and then he blushes.

"I didn't!" and then, more quietly, I mean, I don't want to...! I mean...I'm sorry!"

He glances guiltily at Seneia, unable to meet her eye. He always seems to be messing up like this. He looks to Rufio for help. Rufio always seems like he's in control of the situation.
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:49 pm
Sep 21, 2015 6:49 pm
"About time, Rufio. Where have you been? You look terrible."
Sep 21, 2015 7:07 pm
Rufio scoffs at Alanya's comment. "You should see the other guy!" He takes a bite out of the apple he filched and winks at Weylan before adding airily, "I had a disagreement with a gentleman about his lady companion's apples. The matter was settled to the satisfaction of all parties."
Last edited September 21, 2015 7:08 pm
Sep 21, 2015 7:34 pm
Seneia smiles a crooked smile that shows more than a hint of her infernal heritage. "I am glad to hear you appreciate them apples, boys. They are good for you. Perhaps one of you could go to Erika and ask her for some."

She scratches the end of her horn absent-mindedly. "I wonder when we can start. The longer we sit here, the more I feel like wanting something meatier than just apples."
Sep 21, 2015 8:04 pm
Hood still over his head, Semaj walks in and up to the table. This concept of seating at a table is still strange to him, he prefers the open air.

The story around is that Rowland had been out scouting last year and found Semaj in the woods. From the looks of it, Semaj had been fighting a dire wolf for a scrap of food and lost? Well, it was close as the wolf was found 100 yards away, dead. Roland brought the boy back from near death and unable to find his parents, took him into the orphanage. Since then, Semaj proved to be a quick learner.

"Ladies, Gentlemen", a hoarse voice whispers. Semaj bows slightly, takes a seat and removes his hood. Sitting there is a half-elf lad with grey eyes and long flowing red hair. The skin of his face is smooth and his face expressionless. He looks around at the place settings on the table.
Sep 21, 2015 9:21 pm
Szent leans back a bit in his chair and continues to enjoy the conversation between the others when Semaj appears and takes his seat. Chuckling he says, "Nice of you to join us, Semaj. Maybe we'll all get to eat this morning after all!"
Sep 21, 2015 9:26 pm
Taking a sip of water, he clears his throat. In a whisper, "Sorry, I stopped by the kitchen first, brought them a few bits of... meat to cook."
Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm
"Not a problem, my friend. You just need to remember how impatient I get when I'm hungry!"

Bringing his chair forward and leaning in Semaj's direction he adds with a wink, "Hope you brought enough for the rest of us."
Sep 21, 2015 10:42 pm
Turning his attention to Szent, he speaks for the table to hear, "Even I cannot ration out 7 ca....er....rats out to 50 people on a good day. But when I got there, they seemed to have things well in hand and the bacon smelled wonderful."
Sep 21, 2015 11:51 pm
Ms Matilda gives the stink eye to the late and scruffy Rufio and Samej. Although avoiding her eye, they can sort of sense the burning gaze. She starts to open her mouth to say something when an imposing figure enters the canteen. The figure appears to tower as high as the ceiling, and his broad shoulders almost fill the doorway. The noise in the room immediately dies to silence, and even the toddlers sidle back to their seats. The tall human male is well dressed in colorful high quality fabrics of red and yellow. On the chest of his tunic is the symbol of an open gauntleted hand. There is not a soul in this room that doesn't recognize Roland.

Instinctively you stand as he enters, a routine you are accustomed to, and the rest of the occupants follow suit, even Matilda. As Roland strides into the room it is noted he with another leader of the orphanage. This is Travis, leader of religious studies and manager of the infirmary. Travis is dressed in yellow and beige, and his tunic adornes a bejeweled rising sun.

Usually Roland would wave everyone to sit with a humble gesture, but today he seems preoccupied, and he simply makes his way to the head table. He faces his audience and says, "Remain standing, we shall say grace". Travis then leads a short prayer, thanking the gods for the foods they are about to eat. They then sit, and everyone stands nervously. "Sorry, please sit", Roland says when Travis nudges him.

The hatches open and the younger kids are signaled to line up for food. The noise again increases, and everything seems normal.
Sep 22, 2015 12:06 am
I turn back to Rufio and in a low, conspiratorial voice say, "So, details. You can't expect me to weave an epic ballad of 'The Heroic Tales of Rufio' without any deets. Who was the gentleman? Was he tall? Handsome? Did you break his face with your fists?"
Sep 22, 2015 12:28 am
Feylinde took again her place at the table and talking to noone in particular said "Something has gone wrong. That's not the Roland we used to know". She stared at him for few seconds before her stomach remembered her what time was.
Sep 22, 2015 12:37 am
Picking up on Feylinde's comment, Szent agrees, "It does appear that the good master's mind is elsewhere this morning." Then, trying to reassure everyone, especially himself, that it's nothing to get worked up about he says, "I'm sure it's nothing, he is a very busy man after all."
Sep 22, 2015 12:37 am
Elden frowns with concern, "Is it just me or does Roland seem a bit off today?" he says to the others.

"Rufio, you need to be more careful, Roland is not gonna be happy if he sees the rough shape you are in," he admonishes him in a friendly way, knowing it will make no difference and is ultimately harmless anyway.

"Good morning Samej, I hope you had a good night?"
Last edited September 22, 2015 2:10 am
Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
In response to Alanya's prodding Rufio puffs up his chest and thumps it, sending the trinkets he hangs there a-clinking. He opens his mouth to start bragging but then Elden admonishes him and the young ruffian merely rolls his eyes instead. Rufio also notices Roland's disquiet but doesn't remark on it. He sits back down, thoughtfully studying their master.

Prior to being taken in by Roland, Rufio was living in the streets of the Dock Ward, possibly the dirtiest, smelliest, and most dangerous part of the city of Waterdeep. He found brief bouts of employment with some of the least scrupulous of the captains on their smuggling runs, raids, and whatnot, but most of his life was spent just living off the street, surviving by being tough.Thanks to Roland's tutelage Rufio has learned to channel his brutishness into fierce loyalty for his fellows at the orphanage - he would defend them with his life.
Last edited September 22, 2015 1:01 pm
Sep 22, 2015 1:38 am
"Come on Elden, I'm sure he had a perfectly good reason for doing what he did. For instance, maybe he was defending someone's honor. I'm sure it was something like that!"
Sep 22, 2015 1:59 am
"Yeah, something like that." Rufio snickers.
Sep 22, 2015 2:07 am
"Whys everyone looking over there? Did I miss something?" I crane my neck to look in the direction of Roland and Ms. Matilda. Not noticing anything out of the ordinary, I turn back to my friends. "What's on the agenda for today? Have any fun plans?"
Sep 22, 2015 2:30 am
"Going to eat and then I'm going to train. Just like every day." Szent replies as he take a bite from a strip of bacon. "Working on some more javelin techniques today. Still have a lot of work to do before I can use them effectively."

*maybe during training I can see what's bother Roland*
Sep 22, 2015 3:06 am
Breakfast continues and as you are deeply engrossed in conversation you notice Roland is standing by your table. "Sorry to interrupt your chat, but we have a matter to attend to. When you've eaten please see me in my study. And don't dally."

He then leaves the dining area.
Sep 22, 2015 4:22 am
Rufio shovels food into his maw messily, stands up, wipes his mouth with his sleeve, and still chewing noisily, follows Roland. Rufio tries asking Roland what it's all about, but his mouth is full, "Whtsmmff mfffrm mfhhm?"
Last edited September 22, 2015 5:17 am
Sep 22, 2015 5:11 am
Growing up in the streets in the early age taught Seneia to be a fast eater and it's a habit she has not grown out of. When she has food in front of her, she does not waste time chatting, but puts her full attention eating. It's not that she's stuffing it in messily - it's methodological, mechanical, clean, and focused. Combine that with being an increasingly light eater, thanks to her spiritual studies, and by the time Roland talks to the table, Seneia is almost done.

She grabs couple more apples, and slips them into her pouch. Then she raises, gives the others a puzzled, somewhat worried look, and starts after Roland.
Sep 22, 2015 7:54 am
Elden stares after Roland worriedly for a moment before picking up the pace of his eating. After a few more minutes he finishes his food and follows after Roland.
Sep 22, 2015 9:56 am
Still mortified by his earlier gaffe, Weylan has been blushing and scarfing down food, thinking of ways to somehow make it better.

*I just... like... apples! I mean, who doesn't like apples?*

Nothing he can think of would improve the mocking, he imagines.

*Things are so much less complicated in the uncivilized world, where there's no time for innoo...inyoo...inyooin...double meanings. If there's a problem, you just hit things or run away.*

Despite years of living in the orphanage with regular meals, the halfling has never broken his foraging-in-the-wild habit of eating like he doesn't know whether he'll get another meal: snatching the food from his plate, clutching it close to himself, and gnawing it with feverish bites to get it all down before something bigger can try to fight him for it.

Wrapped up in his embarrassment, he doesn't notice anything unusual until Roland appears at the table. He finishes right after Seneia and starts to get up, and then worries that she'll think he's got a thing for her and so dawdles for a few moments before he follows to Roland's study, blushing again.
Last edited September 22, 2015 9:57 am
Sep 22, 2015 11:38 am
I shove several slices of bacon into my pockets and follow the others out of the dining area.

It seems strange how easily I've adapted to having plentiful food and a warm place to stay. When I first came here, I was seven and practically starving. Roland found me performing my usual (literal) song and dance routine while begging for coin. He told me I could have a better life. I didn't believe him, I mean it's not like my life was that bad. It was unpredictable, especially when trying to find a warm place to sleep at night that didn't have any fleas. I liked it that way! But then one day he brought me a beautiful lute and said that if I came to live with the other children, I could learn to play for enjoyment rather than to get my next meager meal. I decided to give it a shot. And guess what? My life WAS a lot better!

My shoulder-length dark brown hair bobs as I practically skip over to Roland's study, the tips of my elven ears (less pronounced due to my mixed heritage) peeking out every so often.
Sep 22, 2015 12:35 pm
Fast eating wasn't exactly what she called a breakfast, but the look in the eyes of Roland worried Feylinde. After all he was the one who found her in the woods when she was six and saved her from starvation. He was to one who saw her talent for the alchemical arts and convinced her to study it.

Thinking about her past made emerge even the bad memories ... *I wanted just to read that strange book ...* ... the image of her lifeless mother body at her feet ... *... how did that happen? Why I cannot remember?"

Feylinde shook the head to remove the freking feelings and without full ending the meal moved rapidly toward Roland's study.
Sep 22, 2015 1:56 pm
Standing, Semaj replaces his hood and moves to the exit. He can eat later. It is not like he has never missed a meal. Sure, hunger pangs are not pleasant, but he has survived worse. He makes his way to the study without haste. After all, he owes his life to Roland and when he gets a personal invitation, he goes. Once inside, he finds a seat near a window (if there is one). He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small piece of dried fruit, Apple or pear it does not matter. He places it between his cheek and gum and savers the tart sweetness.
Last edited September 22, 2015 2:57 pm
Sep 22, 2015 10:02 pm
Usually not one to leave a bit of food on his plate Szent takes on final bite of his bacon and falls in closely behind Samej.

*I wonder what's bothering Roland. Not like him to finish a meal early like that, let alone ask others to do the same.*
Sep 22, 2015 10:45 pm
When you arrive at Roland's study he is staring out of the window. Two rows of four chairs sit in front of his desk. It's not normally that formal in here, but he obviously prepared for all of you. The study is frugally decorated. Plain walls, basic furniture, and no carpet. There is a symbol of Torm on one wall (the open gauntlet), and there is a small altar in front of it, including prayer beads, candles and incense. A prayer mat is on the floor.

He turns and smiles as you enter. "Thanks for arriving promptly! Please sit down. I need your help."
Sep 22, 2015 10:50 pm
Elden quickly finds a spot in the front row and sits at rapt attention, *What could someone as accomplished as Roland possible want from us?* he wonders to himself.
Last edited September 22, 2015 10:54 pm
Sep 22, 2015 10:52 pm
Szent takes a seat in the front row, curious as to what his mentor has to say.
Sep 23, 2015 12:14 am
"Whatever you need! I'm very good at helping." I sit next to Szent and offer him a piece of bacon from my pocket.
Last edited September 23, 2015 12:15 am
Sep 23, 2015 12:27 am
A little startled to see Alanya pull food from her pocket Szent graciously accepts the pocket-bacon with a smile. "I owe ya one!"
Sep 23, 2015 12:42 am
Weylan hurries in, having raced Seneia (she let him win), slightly out of breath. He plops down in the last open front seat and wonders what help he could provide. He peers down; Roland's shoes are a bit worn, but they don't need repair yet...
Last edited September 23, 2015 1:12 am
Sep 23, 2015 3:57 am
(Ooc: it is assumed everyone sits)

Roland shuts the door after everyone has selected their seats, and perches on the edge of his desk Ina casual manner. He looks at the faces before him, and sees general concern and expectancy. He understands how strange this must be for his protégés.

"Since arriving at my orphanage you have all done me proud, and I feel pleased that this place is turning out fine young folk like yourselves. You are still young, and you still have some growing up to do, but at this moment in time you are my best hope."

Roland often preaches the importance of honesty, and to own up when matters, whether good or bad need addressing. "A wound will fester, so treat it and all will be well", he'd often advise. Today he didn't seem to be heeding that advice.

With a deep sigh he continues. "I've tried all my contacts, but I fear this issue needs more street smarts than I'm used to." He smiles awkwardly, "For all I need to resolve this, my methods are unlikely to succeed. This matter needs subtlety, a skill I er, am told I don't excel in."

(Ooc: you may all roll insight, include your modifier if any)
Sep 23, 2015 4:08 am
"Subtlety? What do you mean?" I tilt my head to the side and give him a look of intense concentration that looks a lot like confusion.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Sep 23, 2015 4:47 am
There is a small 'thud' when Seneia leans forward and the front legs of her chair hit the floor again. "Street smarts?" she says. "Well-- I still may --you know-- know people. And places."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Sep 23, 2015 3:50 pm
"Can you Explain yourself better Roland?" said Feylinde almost in a whisper.

Rolls

INSIGHT - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm
Elden sits back a little bit, concern on his face as he tries to see deeper into what Roland may be thinking. After a couple moments of thought he leans forward, "I think that we'd all be more than willing to help you in whatever small way we can. Can you give us some more information about what exactly you need us to do?"
Last edited September 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Sep 23, 2015 3:59 pm
Weylan considers what sort of subtlety they could provide.

He has no idea.
Last edited September 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Rolls

Insight (WIS + Proficiency) - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Sep 23, 2015 10:02 pm
*Street smarts? This is not the way Roland handles problems. I don't like this.*

Rolls

Insight [+3] - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Sep 23, 2015 11:32 pm
(Ooc: now to try the note feature. Those who rolled should receive a private note...)

Roland looks at the faces before him, and tries to determine how well his ill prepared speech is going.

Merlin sent a note to Gargoyle
Merlin sent a note to szemely
Merlin sent a note to spaceseeker19
Merlin sent a note to Naatkinson
Merlin sent a note to Mariutti82
Merlin sent a note to Moofsalot
Sep 24, 2015 12:16 am
My eyes light up with excitement over the possibility of a dangerous/secret mission. This could be the most amazing thing to have happened in a long time. And he trusts us enough to handle it!

"We're in. Tell us what you want us to do, and we'll do it. No one even needs to know about it! You can say we're out running an errand for you, like harvesting apples maybe? We could even bring some back. Everyone loves apples, am I right?" I nudge Weyland with my elbow and give him a wink.
Sep 24, 2015 12:40 am
"Guh...buh...wha...?"

Now Weylan is embarrassed and confused.

*Oh, no! She heard that!*
Last edited September 24, 2015 6:14 am
Sep 24, 2015 12:51 am
Understanding how far uncomfortable this is for Roland, Szent shoots a Alanya a quick glare for her antics with Weylan. "This is serious, Alanya, please treat it as such!"

Slowly standing he gives a quick look back at the others before facing Roland and continuing, "She is correct, however. There isn't a person in this room that wouldn't do anything in their power to help you, Sir! Please, let us know what is to be done." Sitting back down and feeling bad for snapping at her, he leans in towards Alanya and whispers, "My apologies, but something is troubling Roland and I think we need to show him the respect that he deserves."
Last edited September 24, 2015 2:38 am
Sep 24, 2015 2:17 am
I whisper back, "I'm just saying that he can trust us. He doesn't have to feel bad about asking."
Sep 24, 2015 5:19 am
Seneia nods to Analya's comment. Then she stands up - her and chairs seem to have a complicated relationship - and addresses Roland:

"Sir, there is something you would want or need to ask us, but you are not comfortable doing so. I don't know if it's an awkward request or that you fear something, but I am certain I speak for all of us, when I say that do not let it trouble your soul. Tell us what is on your mind and let us help if we are able to do so."

"This place, one you have set up, is a beautiful creation. It has given each of us a chance for life we would not otherwise have. I mean-- you took in even me, even though I was already nine, and wouldn't trust anyone enough to sleep in the same room with them. You gave even someone like me a chance to discover the path towards balance and peace."

"You have given more to all of us and everyone in the downstairs than we can ever hope to repay. Let us have this chance to give something back. There is something that is needed and thanks to you, we are all capable, even though perhaps inexperienced. Please, tell us what's on your mind, sir."

With a simple flourish, Seneia touches both of her horns as a sign of respect. She lowers her gaze slightly, assuming a humbler pose, and remains standing, waiting for Roland to speak.
Sep 24, 2015 5:22 am
Rufio has never been very insightful, nor good with subtlety. Nor staying put in a chair. When Roland called them here to his study and bade them to sit Rufio was the last to do so, and only with great reluctance, prefering to pace about the room like a mad dog. Several times Roland had to tell him to sit back down but in the end, perhaps seeing the futility, or because he was occupied with greater matters, Roland stopped trying to tame the wild youth. Rufio paced furiously, trying to grasp the situation (again, not his strong suit).

Rolls

Insight, in case it still matters. - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 24, 2015 10:21 am
Feylinde nods at Seneia words *she's right, he can ask everything to us*, then looks at Roland with a smile.

Mariutti82 sent a note to Merlin
Sep 24, 2015 12:07 pm
Pondering what Roland said, he tries to think back to what he has heard on the streets, to rumors and stories, to those things only whispered.

Rolls

Insight - (1D20)

(4) = 4

Sep 25, 2015 12:17 am
Merlin sent a note to grandmaster
Merlin sent a note to Jabe.plays.rpg
Roland seems to relax with the encouraging support received by his protégés. He smiles a genuine smile and says, "Thank you. You never cease to amaze me." He glances over at Rufio. "Rufio, please sit down. Actually please all sit down."
Sep 25, 2015 12:23 am
Elden blushes faintly at the praise and raises his head with pride as he waits for Roland to continue.
Sep 25, 2015 3:22 am
"I am reassured you accept this task willingly, even not knowing what it is. I sincerely hope this is a simple task, and I am not putting you in danger." Roland stands, and he bonds his hands behind his bank. His tall imposing frame appears to look bigger with you all seated. "Two evenings ago Milly went missing. You know her don't you?"

The question is rhetorical, because you all do know Milly. She is an out going blonde girl of 14 years old. Although not part of your peer group, everyone knows Milly. She is training to be a bard, and her skill set is very much comedic performance. She really has talent, and regularly entertains the orphanage with her quick wit and off the wall antics. Something of an extrovert, she oozes charisma, and everyone enjoys spending time with her. Now Roland mentions it, you don't recall exactly when you last saw her.

"Well, you may not be aware of this", (he glances at Rufio and Samej), "but we do have a head count every night, and we knew she wasn't here two nights ago. I spent the whole day yesterday looking for her, and I drew on favors and contacts around town to seek rumors about where she might be." He rubs his brow and frowns. "It seems a missing 14 year old orphan is nowhere near the top of people's priorities in a city like this." His tone of voice sounds incredulous. "So, if there is one thing I've learned from years of adventuring, it's we must look after our own!"

"My sources tell me she was kidnapped." His eyes bulge in astonishment as if saying it aloud made the truth real. "Who would do such a thing?... So, we must find her. I mean, you must find her."
Sep 25, 2015 4:56 am
In the silence that follows Roland's words, there is a noticeable snap as Seneia's tail, now moving back and forth restlessly, hits the chair behind her. She glances quickly to the others, wondering whether she should speak aloud her immediate thoughts or not. Would it become as too much of a shock for some of the others?

She decides against it and addresses Roland instead: "Kidnapped? What makes your sources think that? Where would she have been taken to?"
Sep 25, 2015 7:25 am
*Milly? Gone? TAKEN??!!*

Weylan recalls several times when the young girl would find him, brooding in a corner. She always had a smile for him, and could usually make him smile despite the nightmares. Now someone had TAKEN her??!!

"We'll do whatever it takes, Roland. Whoever has taken her, we will find them, and we will get them. And then we'll bring her back. Just tell us where to start."

While waiting for Roland to respond to Seneia (and him), Weylan considers:

*What places or people would we be able to explore better than Roland? Someplace with children/youth? Someplace poor? Someplace hostile to humans or to the church?*
Last edited September 25, 2015 7:26 am
Sep 25, 2015 11:31 am
*Not Milly! She's such a sweet, funny girl. She and I are similar in a lot of ways. Who would take her? And why?* My eyes darken to a charcoal color as my demeanor shifts slightly from my usual joyful, carefree self into that of concern and the edge of an emotion I haven't felt in a long time. I notice a similar look cross Seneia's face, but maybe I'm just projecting my own emotions onto her. It wouldn't be the first time. *If someone did this stupid thing or hurt her in some way, I will make them pay.* And just as quickly, the moment passes and my body language shifts back to normal, although with a bit more effort than usual.

"I'm sure she's fine and just playing a trick on us. We'll have a good laugh about it when she returns. Anyway, where was she last? Where should we look first?"
Last edited September 25, 2015 11:32 am
Sep 25, 2015 11:51 am
"I hope so Alanya." Said Feylinde to her friend *I really hope it, but...*

She didn't expose her worries, preferring to wait for Roland's reply to Seneia question.
Sep 25, 2015 1:02 pm
Elden stares at Roland in open-mouthed shock for a moment, *Someone KIDNAPPED Milly? Sweet, innocent Milly? This will NOT stand,* he thinks to himself.

He stands up and addresses Roland directly, anger on his usual serene face, "We will find her, no matter what it takes. We will find her and bring her back safely, just tell us where to start..." he stops and looks around, realizing that he is letting his anger get out of control he sits down again, "I'm sorry for my outburst, sir."
Sep 25, 2015 4:39 pm
Mariutti82 sent a note to Naatkinson,Merlin
Sep 25, 2015 5:30 pm
Like the others Szent is very fond of Milly and the thought of her being kidnapped sickens him. He tries to remain calm, knowing that he can act rashly when he lets his emotions get the better of him. He looks up Roland and calmly asks, "Where do we start, Sir?"
Sep 25, 2015 10:49 pm
"Yes! Let's not dally! Milly was last seen in The Market. A young rogue saw three cloaked men grab her. The action was swift, and she barely managed to scream, I am told. I was told this by a friend, but he advised I should not talk to the rogue because the kid is skittish." Roland takes a deep breath. "I don't know why Milly was taken. I can tell you the young rogue is called Slink, and he frequents a tavern called the Singing Sword, which is located at the edge of The Market. You need to find out what he knows."
Quote:
The Market - The largest open space in the city is an open marketplace surrounded by stone buildings (many moneylenders and pawnshops among them) that enclose the maze of temporary stalls and carts that appear here day and night. The Market is the best place to haggle for the lowest prices on almost any trade good imaginable, though there's no guarantee of finding anything.
Sep 26, 2015 3:01 am
"Let us gather our belongings and find this tavern."

Realizing that as a paladin in training he might not be the best choice to approach the skittish young rouge Szent adds, "And then we should determine who will talk to this Slink, for I fear a few of us might not have much success in getting him to open up."
Sep 26, 2015 3:06 am
Roland listens to Szent's comment and says, "You may be right, but I think the bigger concern was the age difference. I think you all will have greater success connecting with him than me, as he is a similar age to you all."
Sep 26, 2015 3:43 am
"Oh he'll talk to me, or I'll break him in half! Come on! I know where the Slinging Sword is!" Rufio rushes to the door but remembers his manners. With obvious effort he pauses, "May we go now, Sir Roland?"

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Merlin
Last edited September 26, 2015 6:24 am
Sep 26, 2015 4:09 am
"And if that doesn't work, I'm sure I can find a way to make him talk. Come to think of it, we should probably save the breaking him part for last if nothing else works."
Sep 26, 2015 4:41 am
Elden turns green at the thought of 'breaking' the poor young man, "I don't think that there should be any 'breaking' going on, I'm sure we can come to a much better solution than that," he says diplomatically.
Sep 26, 2015 7:38 am
Seneia pats Rufio on a shoulder in an attempt to call him down.

"I suggest we first send Alanya and Feylinde to talk to this Slink person. If I know anything about young men who have grown up in the streets of this city, a pretty face and-- well, couple apples--" Seneia smirks and winks at Weylan. "--will break him down far quicker than any form of violence."

"The rest of us can keep an eye on things, both inside and outside the place. Perhaps make sure Slink won't get a chance to slip away."
Sep 26, 2015 10:41 am
OK, a little DM intervention here just for fun. With both Slink and yourselves being children of the streets there's a chance you might know him. Three factors are in play here:
1. Background
2. Class
3. Happenstance

You may roll Perception (adjusted) to see if you know Slink using the following guideline:
1. If your background justifies a seedier lifestyle take advantage
2. If you class is covert take +3
3. All other classes make standard roll

Higher than 20 you know him well
Higher than 15 you've spoken to him before
Higher than 10 and you know him by sight

I want you to make the roll decision without any repercussions from me.

You may make the roll private (I think you can do that as an option)

One other thing... I will be starting a new thread shortly. If you subscribe to threads be on alert (I'll let you know).
Sep 26, 2015 10:47 am
Feylinde laughted loud at Seneia joke.

"Oh yes, please! I'm totally in. I would let Alanya talk to him, while i could play the role of his conscience in his mind." ... she took a pause ... "Of course if apples are not enough" added winking at Weylan.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Sep 26, 2015 11:34 am
"Oh I bet he likes apples well enough." Oddly enough, though Rufio was practically raised in this city's underworld, he had never spoken to this Slink. He had seen him around though, a fact that worried him but he tried not to show it.
Last edited September 26, 2015 11:37 am

Rolls

Does Rufio know Slink? - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

1d20+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Sep 26, 2015 1:50 pm
Elden takes a moment to think about what he knows about Slink.

Being that he generally avoids the seedier parts of town he can't think of a single time he has even heard of the lad.
Last edited September 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Rolls

Perception, Slink? - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Sep 26, 2015 1:55 pm
Ooc: wow these rolls are shocking, haha
Sep 26, 2015 2:03 pm
Szent is really out of his element when it comes to dealings of this type. If he has ever run across this young rouge before he certainly doesn't remember the encounter.

Gave Szent a disadvantage to his check due to his nature.
Last edited September 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Rolls

Perception [disadvantage] - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Perception [disadvantage] - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Sep 26, 2015 4:00 pm
When the group has left the orphanage, Seneia clears her throat. "I must confess something, friends. I know this Slink fellow quite well. I used to-- well, hang around with him, sometimes even work together to get food and coin, when I was still living in the streets. I tried to convince him to join Roland's too, back when I did, but he had grown to be too greedy and too suspicious already."

Seneia speaks openly and matter-of-factly, but you can tell from the way her tail moves that talking about her past is somewhat awkward for her. Honesty and openness are part of the spiritual life she's working towards, but they still don't always come natural to her.

"Regardless, I still think that Alanya and Feylinde should talk to him first. In case he knows the kidnappers, it's probably best that he does not recognise the ones asking him about things. But if that does not work, I can try and see if he'd still trust me well enough."
Last edited September 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Rolls

To know Slink (advantage for Ruffian background) - (1d20+2)

To know Slink (advantage for Ruffian background) - (1d20+2)

Sep 26, 2015 5:01 pm
I've frequented that neighborhood many times before, but it takes a rare person to leave an impression. Is Slink one of those people? Hmmmm.

Rolls

Have I met Slink? (advantage) - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Have I met Slink? - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Sep 26, 2015 6:23 pm
"I wonder what he meant by 'headcount' and why Roland looked at me?", Semaj whispers under his breath.

While Semaj has traveled through the town, it is doubtful he knows this person as he still tends to keep to himself. What Semaj would more than likely want to do is go to the place where she was seen in the market to find a trail. However Roland has been making an impression on Semaj and a little voice in his head tells him that there are strengths in numbers, so Semaj will follow the group.

Rolls

Perception (disad) - (1D20)

(8) = 8

Perception (disad) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 26, 2015 7:45 pm
From the interactions he's had with the footpad before, Weylan figures the soft approach will work better than going straight to intimidation. "Let's let the girls talk to Slink and see if he can provide any clues to figure out whose heads we need to crack to get Milly back, Rufio!"
Last edited September 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Rolls

Perception check to know Slink - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Sep 26, 2015 7:58 pm
Rufio holds up his hands in mock surrender. "Alright, alright! I promise not to crack an heads or break any legs until the girls have had a chance to talk to the little dung beetle. Satisfied? Let's GO already!!"
Last edited September 26, 2015 8:00 pm
Sep 26, 2015 9:24 pm
After listening to Roland a number of you realize you have heard of Slink before. Rufio and Feylinde would recognize him by sight, whereas Weylan thinks he's actually chatted with him a couple of times. However, Seneia is convinced she has hung around with him before she was accepted into the orphanage.

Merlin sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Merlin sent a note to Mariutti82
Merlin sent a note to Gargoyle
Sep 26, 2015 9:26 pm
I am closing this thread... See you on 1.1 The Singing Sword... Coming soon.
Sep 26, 2015 9:28 pm
"OOC: I think my rolls said I don't know him.
Sep 26, 2015 9:37 pm
Merlin sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg

Thread locked