Character Creation

Sep 18, 2015 10:12 pm
Share your character ideas here. Many thanks for joining the game.
Sep 18, 2015 10:27 pm
I'm thinking of creating a older teen who has been under Roland's care for quite some time. Looking up to his caregiver he's decided to emulate him and has begun his training as a Paladin (human).

[Unless someone else has a desire to play a Paladin, this is what I'm probably going to go with. If someone else wants to play a Paladin, I'm good with switching to a Cleric (or even something else)]
Sep 18, 2015 10:27 pm
Hi! Thanks for having me here!

I'm thinking of building a character around the Tavern Brawler feat. Variant human, obviously, so I'll have the feat right off the bat. Barbarian, maybe. Could be Roland's "problem child" :-D
Last edited September 18, 2015 10:29 pm
Sep 18, 2015 10:43 pm
Even though Roland is a paladin, you are young and flighty and can be whatever class you like, and base that class on your background. Certainly Roland may or may not tolerate your behavior, that's up to you how you behave. But I should emphasize that the orphanage is run by a paladin, so being evil would risk your residence at the orphanage.
Sep 18, 2015 10:56 pm
I'm digging the Paladin idea, especially with some of the ideals with the Acolyte background and his relationship with Roland.

Szent Harcos - Paladin - Oath of Vegance - Acolyte

Follows the same god as Roland (I'm thinking Selune or Lathander)
Sep 18, 2015 11:25 pm
I'll be a cleric :)
Only class I haven't played
Sep 19, 2015 12:47 am
Hi all! I think I'll roll up a bard. Hmm some of you players look familiar...
Sep 19, 2015 5:15 am
Waiting on two players to acknowledge entry and advise character.

When ready please submit your characters.
Sep 19, 2015 9:06 am
I'm hoping to play Seneia Sorrow, a Tiefling Monk. Chaotic Neutral, if that's alright.

If Roland's care includes religious teachings, Seneia would've been drawn to the tenets that focus on the inner peace, and balance and beauty of the world.
Last edited September 19, 2015 9:07 am
Sep 19, 2015 12:10 pm
Thanks Gargoyle. I'm struggling with the concept of a monk being chaotic neutral, the opposite of discipline.
Sep 19, 2015 12:31 pm
I tend to see Lawful-Chaotic axis as something that describes to the way the character relates to the society, not necessarily something that would reflect her inner self. Essentially she'd be working towards the things she finds important (beauty, harmony, and being true to oneself), regardless of what the society thinks is right.

Which alignment would you see suitable for something like this?
Sep 19, 2015 12:36 pm
Well, I see that as neutral...totally focused on yourself. Chaotic neutral is pure chaos... Totally unpredictable without any motivational influences from good or evil actions.
Sep 19, 2015 12:42 pm
I see that we understand the Lawful-Chaotic axis differently.

But True Neutral or even Neutral Good (although the character is not necessarily always interested in the good of the people, but rather the good of the things she holds valuable) would fit my character concept as well, if the character otherwise sounds fitting.
Sep 19, 2015 12:52 pm
I've already approved your character. You can play your character how you like and I don't intend this thread to be a philosophical discussion on alignment. But alignments in D&D are well established and described on page 122 of Player's Guide. The whole beauty, harmony, nature, peace is neutral like nature itself. Monks are typically lawful due to the internal discipline necessary to focus your skills. Although lawful commonly refers to respect for the laws and rules of society, in the case of a monk it refers to the personal discipline.

I have played D&D a long, long time and I've never met any player who plays alignment perfectively, and the only classes I've ever seen disciplined by a DM for alignment play are Paladins. Use it as a compass, beyond that it isn't that important.
Sep 19, 2015 1:41 pm
Apologies. I did not mean to start an argument - just wanted to make sure we were roughly on the same page on how what kind of character I'm planning to play and how that is reflected by the rules.
Sep 19, 2015 2:16 pm
Gargoyle, no argument here! I welcome the discussion. Alignment is one of those subjects as nebulous as religion... Everyone has an opinion. I personally have come to terms with D&D alignment in a way that makes sense to me, and I guess that's important as the DM.
Sep 19, 2015 5:59 pm
I apologize, it's a busy weekend for me, I'll get my character worked out on Monday if that's ok
Sep 19, 2015 8:53 pm
I've only received two character sheets so far. I'm hoping for active players, but will wait til Monday to see what happens.
Sep 19, 2015 9:23 pm
I am usually very active, just got a bachelor party today and tomorrow
Sep 19, 2015 9:39 pm
Naat... Awesome. Enjoy.
Sep 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Weylan is a halfling barbarian who was found wandering the wild after the rest of his village was destroyed. After a kindly country cleric tried to care for him and found Weylan too unruly to handle, the church sent Weylan to Roland's orphanage in Waterdeep, where he has lived and thrived under Roland's tutelage. Now Weylan is apprenticed to a shoemaker (shoes enthralled him when he first came to live with the cleric, as he'd never seen anyone with shoes or boots before).
Sep 19, 2015 11:27 pm
First thing that popped into my mind when I heard halfling barbarian...

http://i.imgur.com/HHjTClL.jpg
Sep 20, 2015 1:07 am
Welcome space seeker! Character approved. Tut tut Szemely, I'll never get that image out of my head now. Lol.
Sep 20, 2015 1:22 am
Quick question- what do you mean by the 27 point buy in the PHB? (I don't have it yet but hope to soon.)
Sep 20, 2015 1:29 am
You get 27 points to spend for your abilities using the chart below.

http://i.imgur.com/PSBX7A8.png
Sep 20, 2015 1:46 am
Got it- thanks!
Sep 20, 2015 1:45 pm
I have 8 players registered and 4 approved characters.
If you have an approved character please start posting and interacting in the 1.0 Introduction thread.
The game will start when I have 6 characters or Monday evening, whichever is later.
Sep 20, 2015 2:03 pm
Quick question, what deity does Roland follow? I'll probably take that deity by default.
Sep 20, 2015 2:36 pm
Naatkinson says:
Quick question, what deity does Roland follow? I'll probably take that deity by default.
I've made the assumption that it was Lathander (hence the icon) but can easily change if needed.
Sep 20, 2015 2:38 pm
That's easy enough then, Life Domain Cleric in the works :)
Sep 20, 2015 2:42 pm
Roland is actually a paladin of Torm, but I'll adapt to what the players want. No biggie.
Sep 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Either way is fine with me, lathander will make me a life cleric, torm will make me a war cleric.
Last edited September 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Sep 20, 2015 3:31 pm
I'll make the necessary adjustments as well then.
Sep 20, 2015 4:07 pm
Hey guys, before you finalize your decisions, here's some key information that may help you.
Roland is a paladin of Torm. If you want your character to be linked to him as a mentor then use Torm.
Another NPC at the orphanage is a cleric of Lathandar. He has not been introduced yet, but something to bear in mind.
Sep 20, 2015 4:12 pm
Then I will stick with Lathander :) haven't taken the support role in a game yet
Sep 20, 2015 6:52 pm
Hi! Sorry, been AFK for the past couple of days. Time to play catch up! :-) Thanks!
Sep 20, 2015 7:46 pm
What do we d for money/equipment. I mean, we're orphans so probably not getting standard wealth/equipment unless it's the Urchin package?
Last edited September 20, 2015 7:47 pm
Sep 20, 2015 7:55 pm
Per creation rules standard starting equipment.
Sep 20, 2015 7:59 pm
Awesome! Ok, submitted my character for approval. All it's lacking is the equipment. Will get on that stat. If I have extra stuff I don't want to keep may I sell it back at half price or something?
Sep 20, 2015 11:33 pm
No, you have standard stuff donated by the orphanage. It would be disrespectful to sell it. You can give it back if you don't want it. ;-)
Sep 20, 2015 11:54 pm
Kinda strange that the orphanage gets so many donated weapons that they then give to children, but hey I won't question it! :-P
Sep 21, 2015 12:13 am
You guys aren't children. You are young adults, the eldest residents at the orphanage. And the stuff is donated to you so you can practice your skills towards independence. Not strange at all. Apprenticeship is a common means towards a career and independence. And what a better goal for an orphanage??
Sep 21, 2015 7:20 am
Setting Rufio's age at 15. Is that ok? Do we have employment outside the orphanage or does living and helping out at the orphanage and being trained by Roland take up all our time?
Last edited September 21, 2015 7:20 am
Sep 21, 2015 10:40 am
15 is marginal but ok. You need to be old enough to be independent. Most of the kids are at school. You guys are in the bracket of having completed school and training for the real world. That gives you an unhealthy amount of free time.
Sep 21, 2015 12:35 pm
Merlin says:
15 is marginal but ok. You need to be old enough to be independent. Most of the kids are at school. You guys are in the bracket of having completed school and training for the real world. That gives you an unhealthy amount of free time.
16 then? I think in medieval times that was the age of manhood/womanhood.
Sep 21, 2015 1:17 pm
Yes perfect.
Sep 21, 2015 2:54 pm
Character submitted!

Elden, Human Cleric of Lathander, Life Domain
Sep 21, 2015 3:25 pm
Character approved. All 7 characters approved and ready to roll.
Sep 21, 2015 3:25 pm
What is the name of the Cleric of Lathander at the orphanage? Would like to be able to use it in character
Sep 21, 2015 5:03 pm
Travis
Sep 21, 2015 5:05 pm
Merlin sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Sep 21, 2015 5:38 pm
Hi guys, I'm new to the play by post. I hope not to screw up things :P
Sep 21, 2015 6:35 pm
So, just to cement my understanding of our cast of characters (since we all know each other at the orphanage):

Gargoyle is playing Seneia, who may be a female tiefling monk
Jabes is playing Rufio, who may be a male human barbarian/tavern brawler
Mariutti is playing Feylinde, who may be a female human spellcaster/artisan
Moofsalot is playing Alanya, who may be a female human bard
Naat is playing Elden, who may be a male human cleric of Lathander
Spaceseeker19 is playing Weylan, a male halfling barbarian/artisan
szemely is playing Szent, a male human paladin

Please correct me where I'm mistaken.
Sep 21, 2015 6:40 pm
Correct on Rufio. I always make my characters available in the Library so my fellow-players can check them out but I find that it enhances the story when players actually put descriptive details in the narration (either by way of an info dump or piecemeal as the story unfolds) :-)
Sep 21, 2015 6:47 pm
Yes, I would like players to flesh characters out in the Intro thread. Use the narrative to expand on what you want or think the players know about your character. Please, everyone keep posting as I am not just the DM... I am judge and jury too. Everyone has now posted, so keep the ball rolling.
Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm
Alayna is a half-elf. Sorry- will try to work in a physical description at some point!
Sep 21, 2015 7:37 pm
spaceseeker19 says:

That's correct.
Sep 21, 2015 7:46 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
So, just to cement my understanding of our cast of characters (since we all know each other at the orphanage):

Jabes is playing Rufio, who may be a male human barbarian/tavern brawler
Mariutti is playing Feylinde, who may be a female human spellcaster/artisan
Moofsalot is playing Alanya, who may be a female human bard
Naat is playing Elden, who may be a male human cleric of Lathander
Spaceseeker19 is playing Weylan, a male halfling barbarian/artisan
szemely is playing Szent, a male human paladin

Please correct me where I'm mistaken.
Getting in late (thanks GM). I will be playing a half-elf druid, male (you think, but cannot be sure) about 17-23 (again, not easy to tell).
Last edited September 21, 2015 7:46 pm
Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm
Yes, Elden is very forthcoming. He is 19, human, and a very devout cleric of Lathander
Sep 21, 2015 8:16 pm
I had imagined Rufio as one of the older ones (but not he oldest). But seeing he other characters' ages now it looks like he's the young punk haha!
Sep 22, 2015 12:09 am
Feylinde is an Half-elf, spellcaster is correct and alchemist. She's 18.
Oct 9, 2015 10:26 pm
dunno where to post it, so i'll do it here ^_^

Rolls

Hit points roll - (1d8+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 9, 2015 10:34 pm
If all agree we can do the fixed hp method
Oct 9, 2015 10:44 pm
It's ok by me (look at the roll hehehehe)
Oct 9, 2015 10:55 pm
Fixed HP is good with me
Oct 9, 2015 11:20 pm
Good with that as well. Should have Szent leveled later this evening.
Oct 9, 2015 11:57 pm
I'm normally more decisive so fixed points it is.
Oct 10, 2015 5:20 am
First time I'm leveling up a 5th edition character. Do I need to do anything else than increase hit points and take the abilities shown in the character class table? Does anything happen to the skills, for example?
Oct 10, 2015 5:53 am
No, nothing else. Skills only improve with proficiency and that doesn't happen every level.
Oct 10, 2015 11:52 am
Only 4 players have leveled up so far...
Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm
Level up completed (had to chose few spells ^_^)
Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm
I'm leveled up!
Oct 10, 2015 2:39 pm
Got Szent taken care of last night.
Oct 10, 2015 2:46 pm
Yup, leveled Rufio up last night as well :-)
Oct 11, 2015 12:34 am
Whoops- will try to finish leveling by end of day tomorrow!
Oct 11, 2015 4:41 am
I'll do this tonight or (more likely) tomorrow; we are still cleaning up after the wedding.
Oct 11, 2015 11:47 pm
OK, so here's Weylan's HP roll:

Rolls

Additional HP for level 2 - (1d12+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Oct 11, 2015 11:53 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
OK, so here's Weylan's HP roll:
I think it was decided we were taking the fixed HP listed for your class in the phb

Awesome roll though
Oct 11, 2015 11:55 pm
Oh, sorry. Missed that it was decided for everyone; I never take fixed rolls usually. So it's 9 for Weylan, not 13. Whoops!

Leveling complete.
Oct 11, 2015 11:55 pm
Yes fixed Hps please.
Oct 12, 2015 2:46 am
Got it; I'm really looking forward to taking down some slavers!
Oct 12, 2015 2:50 am
OK leveled. Hope I didn't forget anything!
Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm
Having Naatkinson take disadvantage rolls is like giving him a bonus :-)
Oct 18, 2015 10:08 pm
szemely says:
Having Naatkinson take disadvantage rolls is like giving him a bonus :-)
Seriously, it's unreal how awesome it makes me
Nov 25, 2015 5:30 pm
Leveling Weylan to 3rd poses some interesting issues, because 3rd level means primal path choice for barbarians (Rufio as well). Unless there's some Unearthed Arcana jazz that I haven't seen, that means I have a choice between berserker or totem warrior. But is totem warrior really a choice, given that we're leveling down underground, with no opportunity to get a totem...? It seems like, for role-playing reasons as well (having played Weylan's rage), I'm tending toward path of the berserker.
Nov 25, 2015 7:20 pm
I brought this up with Merlin as well. You may have noticed Rufio saying stuff like "be like the wolf" and retro roleplaying Sir Roland's lessons. Obviously I'm going for Totem Warrior. I do realize it would be next to impossible to get a hold of a totem down in the sewers. And what's more, from a roleplaying viewpoint, I feel like it would take a pivotal encounter of some sort with your spirit animal to trigger that primal path's abilities. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I think I'd even be willing to postpone manifesting the 3rd level abilities until such an encounter can occur.
Dec 2, 2015 8:20 am
Okay, so I took path of the berserker (it really does make sense for Weylan, after all) and have finished leveling my character...just in time to fall asleep with the rest of them.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.