Jorune: Strange Allies game (Prologue and Seq 1.1)

Sep 22, 2015 7:22 am
Welcome once again to this game of Skyrealms of Jorune. I'm glad that you've joined us, and I'm excited to begin.

STRANGE ALLIES: PROLOGUE
(in which we join our heroes in the middle of the action and flash back to what has come before)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MEXUPz8Fx6Y/T_GjZvowtgI/AAAAAAAAcqU/COpPRXffzv4/s640/Upclose+Tidal+mudflats.jpg

The rain continues to drizzle down on you, and rivulets of water trickle down your neck as you hunch forward to shield your eyes from the downpour. Mud squelches between your toes with every sucking step further into the muck. The rain has suppressed the reek of the swamp a bit, and for that you’re grateful...that, and the fact that the bugs don’t seem to like the water either and they’re leaving you alone for the moment.

*Is becoming a Drenn really worth this?* you think to yourselves, and try to remind yourselves why you want so badly to become Burdothian citizens, instead of thinking of how much you’d rather enjoy a warm meal in a cozy, dry inclep.

Lightning flashes, revealing that you've moved into a new region, moving from fens to mudflats. There's less standing water here, and less vegetation, and a greyness on the horizon suggests that sunrise is not far off. You're tired, wet, slimed, and have had to fight off a number of hostile creatures since you were dumped into the swamp on your way north from Ardoth. You each take a moment to catch your breath as the rain lets up a bit, and you make sure that none of the others have strayed off away from you.
Sep 23, 2015 1:58 am
You came down somewhere in Lusail, the northernmost province of Burdoth (north of Glounda and Gauss). Players can tell me if they're going to try to get their bearings with a particular skill like Geography/Wilderness Travel, try to forage, search, or so on.
Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Ullis relies on others to do the outdoor survival stuff; he's a city kid and the outdoors scares him. He attempts to scan the muddy surroundings.

(It's a 1, which prompts a re-roll to see if it's a great success. It is!)

Ullis notes that a nearby rocky lump is actually the back of a creature that is rooting in the mud right now, but may emerge and notice the group at any moment. He hasn't met one before, but he thinks he recognizes what it is.

He whispers. "Uh...guys? That mound over there - do you think that looks like the back of a dichandra? I think that may be a dichandra."

http://i.imgur.com/1EwaN.png

Because of his great success, the party has a free round of action before the dichandra can notice them. You may also tell me your Fauna Recognition levels, to see what you know about dichandra.

Rolls

SPOT check - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Great success at SPOT? - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Sep 24, 2015 3:04 pm
Ullis is Familiar with Move Silently; he becomes very still and backs away from what appears to be a pile of rocks (which is shivering and slowly twisting) with almost no sound...but it's slow going, because of the mud sucking as his feet.

*What am I doing here? I don't belong here, in the swamp!* He thinks fondly of other missions, city missions, and how they were so much better...conveniently skipping over the memories of fighting ramian, the cougar, rival gangs, or any other time his life has been in danger. Many times for someone so young.
Sep 27, 2015 8:08 am
Here's explanations of how much you each knows about dichandra.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Naatkinson
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Starhelm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Qralloq
What do you do now?
Sep 27, 2015 6:18 pm
Miniri, exhausted and confused leans on her staff, and watches the creature. She quietly whispers to the others, "it's not usually aggressive, but it will defend itself and we may be in its territory, and so it may attack. Those nodules on its back can be quite valuable." She bites her lip at the last, and shes not sure if the others will see this as an opportunity they might be able to afford. Still, keeping information to herself might put them all in harms way.

Her lightly muscled body, weary from the weather and from exertion, coils itself, ready to strike or run. She waits for her companions to decide.
Sep 28, 2015 2:58 pm
Marik is already exhausted from their work, and has no inclination to fight with such a beast for such little gain. He whispers back to Miniri, "I don't think it's worth it, let's get out of here." He will attempt to move away silently and prepare to run away if things go badly. He also keeps an eye out to make sure there is nothing else dangerous in the area.
Last edited September 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Rolls

Silent Movement - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Spot - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 29, 2015 5:40 am
Marik moves silently away (that's a success) through the muck, but he fails to see that he's backing towards another cluster of crudge, which is slowly rising up as a second dichandra rises up behind him. They see each other simultaneously, and this new dichandra immediately begins to clack its knobby wrists together, making a loud knocking noise, that alerts the first dichandra to the party's presence. Then they both clack their wrists together, a behavior that is weirdly like clapping, but the noise is very loud.
Sep 30, 2015 8:34 am
Gythaar is too preoccupied trying to get the group's bearings to spot the danger before the two dichandra come rearing up out of the mud. The old veteran curses silently to himself. I should've been more alert! Damn this thrice-cursed rain! Gythaar sees that Marik is in the most immediate trouble. In one swift motion the mercenary whips out a knife and sends it flying towards one of the creature's eyes.
OOC: The aim is to roll under the target number, yes? I'm unsure if I used the Aim bonus correctly here.

Rolls

Knife (5 ranks) + Aim bonus (1) = 6 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Great success? - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 30, 2015 12:15 pm
Barragar moves quietly to try and flank the dichondra, knowing that they have very poor eyesight and mostly rely on hearing. He readies his sis-ganj in case an attack becomes necessary.

OOC: I know it's d20 so I'll roll that for Move Silently, my rank is 18(seasoned) so whatever that means in this game haha

Rolls

Move Silently (Rank 18) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 1, 2015 7:35 am
Gythaar is Experienced with the knife; a roll is unnecessary at that time, since you were throwing at a creature that wasn't in combat. But if a roll had been necessary, it would be against your ranks in Knife, which is 12, plus one for your Aim bonus. So you'd have to get 13 or less to succeed on 1d20. The knife pierces the dichandra's soft underbelly; roll 2d6 for damage.

Barragar, being adept at moving silently, effectively disappears to the dichandra. Marik is also already concealed to them, having remained silent despite the surprise of the second creature. Miniri, by virtue of her standing still, barely registers to them. But their ire is raised by the knife and they lumber forward, clacking their stony wrists together, in what Miniri knows is a tactic to startle prey. Their vicious blade-sharp pincers snick open and shut as they advance.

Everyone, roll 2d6 1d20 for Advantage (remember to add your Advantage modifiers, if any).
Oct 1, 2015 7:40 am
OOC:
Gythaar was aiming for an eye. Rolled a 1, if that makes a difference :-)

Oops, forgot to apply these modifiers to my rolls:
Strength 16 (+1 Advantage, +1 Hit, +1 Injury bonus)
Last edited October 1, 2015 7:42 am

Rolls

Knife damage - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Advantage - (2d6)

(24) = 6

Oct 1, 2015 7:58 am
Gythaar: Your STR and AGL together give you a +2 bonus to Advantage rolls, which gives you an 8 Advantage. With an 8, you can defend against a melee attack, you can evade, or make another ranged attack.

The dichandra with the knife lodged in its chest is making a keening noise, as its mandibles vibrate alarmingly. Normally, I won't break down all the mechanics for you, instead just providing description. But here I will, as this is your introduction to combat.

The five on the damage roll means that the first dichandra has taken a superficial wound to its chest. That gives it a -1 penalty to Advantage, and it loses 2 Stamina (twice the Advantage penalty).

In addition to the Advantage rolls, anyone can choose to roll another Fauna recognition check if he/she wishes.

(edit to add mechanical details of the damage)
Oct 1, 2015 10:49 am
Barragar moves into position and prepares to strike with his sis-ganj at the most vulnerable area he can see.

OOC: Do I need a roll to attack now?

Rolls

Advantage - (2d6+1)

(24) + 1 = 7

Fauna Recognition (Rank 12) d20? - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Oct 1, 2015 1:29 pm
Rolling Advantage (Thought it's d20?)
Last edited October 1, 2015 1:30 pm

Rolls

Fauna Recognition (Skill - 12) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Advantage - (2d6-1)

(52) - 1 = 6

Oct 1, 2015 2:17 pm
Claws still outstretched from throwing his knife, Gythaar unleashes a searing orb of isho at the dichandra.

Rolls

Quantum Dysha: 5 ranks +1 Aim +1 STR +1 AGL = 8? - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Quantum damage - (2d6)

(16) = 7

Advantage - (2d6+2)

(53) + 2 = 10

Fauna Recognition: 8 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Oct 1, 2015 5:29 pm
Folks, I apologize! I wrote the wrong thing; after character generation, there are only two types of rolls in Jorune: 1d20 and 2d6. 1d20 is used for everything except the results of a hit. You will only ever roll 2d6 for armor penetration and/or damage. Perhaps I was tired, but I seem to have repeated the 2d6 for Gythaar's damage in the instructions to roll Advantage. That was wrong. I'm terribly embarrassed; I've been running this game for decades; that is probably the most egregious error I've made in that whole time.

So please roll your Advantage rolls over again, using 1d20+5 (for your preparation as the dichandra noticed you), plus your other advantage bonuses, if any. If the result from the 2d6 was better (adding the +5 to that, too), you may use the 2d6 result in this instance, as a bonus for my error.

Here's what the advantages are for round one, as rolled with 2d6. Please re-roll with 1d20 and use whichever is higher.
Dichandra 2's advantage for round 1: 16
Gythaar's advantage for round 1: 13 (6+2+5)
Barragar's advantage for round 1: 12 (6+1+5)
Marik's advantage for round 1: 11 (7-1+5)
Dichandra 1's advantage for round 1: 3

Qralloq can still get Miniri in on this round of combat today.

Gythaar's advantage for round 2: 10 (8+2)

Advantage results:
1 - 5: you may evade only
6 - 10: you may defend, ranged attack, or evade
11 - 15: you may attack or defend
16 - 19: you may attack and defend
20+: you may attack and defend with +5 bonus

Dichandra 1 is going to attempt to recoil from the next incoming attack (evade). It's hurt, confused, and angry.

Rolls

Dichandra 1 Advantage - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Dichandra 2 Advantage - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 1, 2015 5:57 pm
OOC: Rerolling Advantage

Looks like I'll be keeping my 2d6 roll lol
Last edited October 1, 2015 5:58 pm

Rolls

Advantage - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Oct 1, 2015 6:09 pm
Marik is close to the dichandra 2, which is going to try to LISTEN for a target. Barragar is in position to attack from the side of dichandra 1. Both are horrified to remember old wives' tales of dichandra spitting venom to paralyze their prey; amusing stories back then, but could they be true? It seems much more likely now that you see them with their dripping mandibles, weakly blinking eye stalks, and tremendously loud clacking of wrist stones.

With an 11 Advantage, Marik needs to decide whether to actively defend, or attack.

Ullis appears to be readying a dysha, much as Gythaar is doing.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Ullis' advantage - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Oct 1, 2015 6:27 pm
Marik takes a deep breath and unleashes a frozen bolt of Isho at Dichandra 2

Marik will attempt to use Frost Bolt on Dichandra 2

Edit: Move Silently was an error, ignore that! Was from a previous thought I had about what to do on my turn.
Last edited October 1, 2015 6:27 pm

Rolls

Dysha Skill (Base 10 + 3 Aim = 13 total) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Move Silently (Skill - 12) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Frost Bolt (Skill - 5) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Damage - (2d6)

(63) = 9

Armor Penetration - (2d6)

(43) = 7

Oct 1, 2015 6:36 pm
OOC: About these advantage rolls, you said, "roll your Advantage rolls over again, using 1d20+5 (for your preparation as the dichandra noticed you), plus your other advantage bonuses." What is the +5 from? Gythaar's STR and AGL together give him +2 bonus to Advantage rolls so is that then 1d20+7 for Gythaar?
Last edited October 1, 2015 6:37 pm

Rolls

Rerolling Round 1 Advantage - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Rerolling Round 2 Advantage - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Oct 1, 2015 9:00 pm
Jabes: The +5 was for round one, having prepared for action and attacking surprised animals. So your Advantage for round one is 25, but your advantage for round 2 would just be +2, so the total is 12 (attack or defend, not both).

I'm going to use your successful quantum roll as the confirmation of the great success.
Oct 3, 2015 1:11 am
Miniri waits for an opportune moment to strike but otherwise remains still.

Rolls

Advantage - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Oct 3, 2015 10:01 am
Round one
Gythaar's fingers erupt with a blaze of isho forming lightning, which sears toward the wounded (first) dichandra; it is too stupid to evade and begins to approach the source of its pain. But there's so MUCH pain!
(3 on the damage roll is a superficial wound to the dichandra's body; resulting in -1 Advantage, -2 Stamina)

Ullis unleashes a blast of lightning (Experienced) from his muddy hands, striking the first dichandra in its right leg.
7 on a damage roll to its leg means a minor wound. It falls and has a -2 to advantage, -4 to stamina. The Advantage penalties are cumulative, so the total penalty for the first dichandra's advantage rolls is -3.
The lightning crackles and pops the carapace of the swamp creature, and with a quick burst of loud snapping noises, its leg collapses from under it, and it falls into the muck onto its back.

Miniri steps in and swings her staff around in a whistling arc, connecting solidly with the first dichandra in its body while it flails on its back.
This deals a superficial wound to the dichandra, -1 Advantage, and it loses 2 more Stamina. The cumulative penalty to Advantage rolls is -4.

The second dichandra attempts to detect Marik, knowing that he's close by...it hears him breathing, and makes an attack with flailing scissor claws. One pincer claw closes on his left leg, cutting into it.
Marik takes a minor wound to his left leg and topples backwards. -2 to advantage and -4 stamina.

Barragar rises up out of his crouch, towering for a split second at his full height to get the full arc of his long arm into the throw of the wickedly curved sis-ganj (roll 2d6 for damage) at the dichandra on its back. There is a brief whir as the sis-ganj spins through the air, and two of its three blades lodge in the dichandra's soft underbelly.
A 4 for the damage roll plus one (for the inherent deadliness of the sis-ganj) and one for Barragar's injury bonus (which applies to thrown weapons as well as melee) is a 6, which results in a Minor wound. A further -5 to its Advantage means a -10 to its Stamina.

Marik is centered and serene, despite the snikt of the dichandra's scissor-like claws snipping into his calf. As he topples backwards, he unleashes a blast of freezing isho into the right leg of the beast.
9 on the damage roll to the right leg indicates a major wound, -4 Advantage and -8 stamina.
The second dichandra, fresh from its attack, finds its leg frozen into immobility. It falls onto its side, and cannot rise again. It thrashes weakly, barely able to clack its stones together, bewildered at its leg ceasing to function.

Rolls

Dichandra's evasion attempt (vs 9) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Hit location rolls - (4d20)

(1912212) = 45

Dichandra's LISTEN check - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Ullis' Lightning damage - (2d6)

(25) = 7

Dichandra 2's attack on Marik - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Dichandra 2's hit location, damage - (1d20, 2d6)

1d20 : (11) = 11

2d6 : (43) = 7

Oct 3, 2015 1:12 pm
Miniri steps beside Marik and prepares to defend him.

Rolls

Damage on prior attack - (2d6)

(11) = 2

Oct 3, 2015 4:37 pm
(I've updated the previous post with Miniri's damage)
Oct 4, 2015 7:11 am
Lightning Blast damage

Rolls

Lightning Blast damage - (2d6)

(21) = 3

Oct 4, 2015 3:37 pm
After a furious exchange, the group of bedraggled tauther have done serious damage to the two dangerous beasts, and they both are on their backs. Marik has a large gash on his calf where one of the dichandra's pincers sliced him. The first dichandra weakly begins to burrow back down into the muck; the second is still acting aggressively.

At the end of round one, one party member has been knocked down with a minor injury. Both beasts are down, and the first dichandra is effectively out - with a -1 on its Advantage result, it can't do anything this turn, and having lost 18 points of stamina, it's close to unconsciousness. It's probably trying to flee by burrowing, but it's having a hard time rolling over from its back. It's moving so slowly that the party can continue to attack it if they wish. The second dichandra, with a 9 Advantage, is warily trying to rise to continue the encounter.

Roll 1d20 for round two advantage. Marik subtracts four from his result. People attacking either dichandra get another +5 bonus, as their opponents have been knocked down.

Ullis Advantage: 20+5 = 25 (attack and defend with bonus)
Miniri's Advantage: 13+5 = 18 (attack and defend)
Gythaar's advantage: 12+5 = 17 (attack and defend)
Marik's Advantage: 15-4 = 11 (attack or defend - already said he's defending)
Dichandra 2's Advantage: 9 (defend)
Dichandra 1's Advantage: -1 (no action)

Rolls

Barragar's damage - (2d6)

(31) = 4

Ullis' Advantage - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Dichandras' advantage - (1d20-9, 1d20-4)

1d20-9 : (8) - 9 = -1

1d20-4 : (13) - 4 = 9

Oct 4, 2015 4:09 pm
Miniri will focus on driving off the one that is still aggressive, jabbing her staff into vulnerable bits our whacking at leg joints. She'll try to draw attention away from Marik.

edit: added staff attack and damage
Last edited October 5, 2015 3:30 pm

Rolls

Advantage - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Staff Attack (13/Experienced) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Staff damage - (2d6)

(34) = 7

Oct 4, 2015 4:15 pm
This dichandra (#2) is actively defending, so there is opposition. Anyone attacking dichandra 2 this round, please roll against your skill for the attack you will do.
Oct 4, 2015 6:21 pm
Marik is defending himself and nursing the wound to his leg.
Last edited October 5, 2015 1:26 pm

Rolls

Advantage - (1d20-4)

(15) - 4 = 11

Oct 6, 2015 6:35 am
Careful not to lower his defense even as he attacks, Gythaar lunges at the aggressive dichandra and strikes with a sword thrust.

Rolls

Sword 13 + Hit bonus from STR & AGL 2 + prone 5 = 20 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

damage - (2d6)

(52) = 7

Advantage for next round - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Oct 7, 2015 6:10 am
Seeing that the others are fending off the creature, Ullis moves to Marik and extends his hands to either side. A faintly visible motes of green light drift up to his fingers and roll around on his skin. He extends his hands over Marik's gash, and the glowing motes brighten as he uses the energy of Launtra to knit the wound. The blood flow slows, stops and dries into a nasty scab, as Marik regains 2 stamina. The wound is now a scar, and the Advantage penalty is halved (now just -1).

Marik should roll a CONSTITUTION check, to see if the wound heals further.
Oct 7, 2015 6:13 am
Gythaar strikes hard at the dichandra, taking advantage of Miniri's distraction and plunging his sword into its belly. The fight clearly goes out of it, and it recoils backward into the mud and begins to weakly burrow in an attempt to escape.

This is another minor wound, for another -5 to Advantage and -10 to stamina.

The immediate threat is ended.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Oct 9, 2015 8:31 am
The group takes stock of themselves. Needless to say, someone can do first aid to bandage Marik's wound, if they wish.

Note which skill foci you used or failed to use successfully (depending on whether you learn by success or failure).

If anyone wishes, he can finish off one or the other dichandra before they escape.
Oct 9, 2015 8:45 am
Ullis flops down in the mud and pulls out his water flask to take a sip. Then he pulls out a wedge of dried durlig and begins to chew on it. Some people claim to have developed a taste for durlig, but even though he's eaten it his whole life, Ullis finds it completely foul. He washes down the initial gagging with a bit more water and then proceeds to steadily chew the durlig into a paste; this had the benefit of making him look tough when he was very young, and he likes to not have to chew it so much when he is actually going to eat some food.

(Durlig is a bioengineered root that assists Earth creatures in digesting the food of an alien world. All but the poorest people on Jorune regularly augment their diets with durlig. Though none of the PCs know this, durlig was an early experiment by the Earth colony to come up with a hybrid plant that would thrive on Jorune but provide Earth nutrients. What they created was an almost-inedible plant that empowers Terran biology to generate digestive enzymes that will effectively break down Jorune foods. What all PCs know is that they've grown up eating durlig all their lives, despite its rancid flavor of vinegar and burnt oil, and that people who do eat durlig lead healthier lives.

Ullis chews for a bit, spits, and says aloud:
"Okay, would someone please explain to me what's going on, and how we ended up here? Start at the beginning, even."
Oct 9, 2015 9:17 am
FOUR DAYS EARLIER...

All of you are in the bustle and business of the crowded port city of Ardoth, where thousands of people from all walks of life and most sentient races live and work together. You are making your way to the Hall of Drenn to see what your next (and possibly last) task will be; you've each received a courier notifying you that an influential Drenn - perhaps even a kesht - has selected your tablet and requested your service in particular. The sun is shining, the breeze off of Ardoth Bay is strong enough to carry away most of the smell, and you have a bit of bounce in your step as you hurry to meet your next patron at the Hall of Drenn.

Entering the cool shade of the Hall of Drenn, you scan quickly and instinctively for your tablets - yes, they are gone from the Drenn Wall; they've been pulled at the request of some Drenn.

http://a54.idata.over-blog.com/235x300/2/06/09/94/Jorune/DrennWall.JPG
The Drenn Wall in the Hall of Drenn

You each arrive at the clerk's desk at about the same time, your challisks nearly filled with copras, but still polished to a bright shine. You look at each other, and you wonder at the nature of the job, as you recognize some of the others. The clerk finishes her task with setting up a new tauther with his challisk and turns to your group.

"Yes...?"
Oct 9, 2015 1:24 pm
Miniri steps forward. Her posture is fully upright, stretching her Krugar spine awkwardly, but she manages not to wobble (with only a little aid from her walking staff). The Drenn seem to prefer that from her. Her other hand holds a small parchment and charcoal.

"Miniri," she says, thumping a clawed thumb into her own forehead. "Tablet was chosen?"
Oct 12, 2015 1:13 pm
Marik walks up as well, "I'm Marik, my tablet was also chosen"
Oct 12, 2015 4:33 pm
The clerk takes a few moments to sort through her records, and then her eyes widen slightly. She quickly blinks to cover this and asks to see your challisks more closely. Efficiently she interprets the various marks on the metal plates that you have worn for this occasion to verify that you are indeed the requested tauther. She notes this in her records, then nods to a runner. She takes a few moments to square the papers on her desk, and you get the impression that she's doing so to comfort herself to regain composure. She clearly like order. After a moment, the clerk clears her throat.

"Ahem. Yes, well, you are clearly who you say you are. You are fortunate, and honored to have been selected by so..." She struggles to find the right word. "...uh...someone so important." She lowers her voice. "Your challisks were requested by Gelicia Skay...!" Then, at normal volume once more: "As you know, a keshtia's time is valuable, and she could not be troubled to come down here herself. She has arranged a place for you to discuss her patronage in private. This boy" - she gestures to a new runner who has just trotted up, a young boccord - "will take you to that place." Then she smiles, briefly. "Luck to you!"

The boccord runner nods at each of you and begins to trot off, back out of the Hall of Drenn.
Oct 12, 2015 4:40 pm
Marik nods and thanks the clerk before turning to follow.

On the way, trying to keep up with the runner, Marik tries to remember anything he remembers about Keshtia Gelicia Skay.
Last edited October 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Rolls

Current Events: 8/Familiar - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Getting Around: 6/Familiar - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Oct 14, 2015 5:45 am
Note: keshtia is the feminine form of kesht, which are the sort of elder or exalted citizens of Burdoth - a level above Drenn. Usually wealthy, always powerful, kesht(ia) are the closest thing Jorune has to nobility.

You may test some skills here. I would recommend trying Current Events, if you have it, to see how well you recognize the name Keshtia Gelicia Skay. I would also suggest Getting Around, to see how well you follow the runner, who seems in no way concerned to make sure you are following. Just post whatever other skills you'd like to bring to bear.

Note your level and rank in a skill and describe how you're using it.
Oct 14, 2015 7:05 pm
Miniri nods at the clerk and relaxes her spine as she follows the runner. She tries to remember what she knows about the name Gelicia Skay, and what a keshtia would want with them. Her eyes darting as she follows the boy. Her companion, Marik, seems to be equally lost in thought and equally dismissive of the nervous clerk. Why would the clerk be so nervous?
OOC: I didn't write the ranks down for my skills, and I'll fix that tonight at home.
Bureaucracy - bought at 6, but I put two additional ranks into it = 8
Current Events - bought at 6, and 3 additional ranks = 9

Rolls

Bureaucracy - why is the clerk nervous - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Current Events - what do I know about keshtia Gelicia Skay - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 15, 2015 5:13 pm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Naatkinson
Marik and Miniri recognize the name of the Keshtia. Since it was founded, Skays have sat on the Ardothian Council, the political body that administrates Ardoth and somewhat balances the rule of Khodre Dhardrenn, the current dharsage of Burdoth. Like most kesht, Gelicia Skay is a human, but the woman has distinguished herself in her service to the toth of Ardoth (the city), and, to a lesser extent, Burdoth (the nation) itself. She's heavily involved in healing activities, creating and funding the Skay learsis kim in her youth, which has grown to establish healing centers in several Burdothian cities. Perhaps closer to your hearts:

Marik knows that Skay was instrumental in opening more kerning bays in Ardoth, and has long been an advocate for the integration of muadra into Ardothian society.

Miniri knows that Skay supported allowing crugar residency in Ardoth, despite a lot of prejudice after the crugar invasion. Miniri also knows that Gelicia is daughter of Jarren Skay, former council member, wife of kesht Tane Belson (an Iscin and thriddle advocate), and mother to Luce Belson, a young gadabout who has been tauther for years.

New terms:
* Ardothian Council - The political body that administrates Ardoth and somewhat balances the rule of the dharsage.
* dharsage - "dhar" means great, "sage" means about the same thing as sage does in English now. So it literally means "great wise and learned one." This is an honorific that was created for the current monarch's father, Khodre Allonkarb, who united Burdoth despite war and invasion, and effectively became emperor. The title "dharsage" is now applied to any human monarch.
* kern - to expel all isho. Suspicion and paranoia around muadra (particularly after the Maustin Caji nearly destroyed Ardoth) resulted in the requirement that all caji kern before entering any government building.
* kerning bay - a fortified area surrounded by thick stone walls which muadra use to expel all their isho while in a city. While they were created to reduce the threat of muadra caji as a place where they expel all their isho, in practice kerning bays have also become isho learning centers, where muadra freely train, practice and learn dyshas.
* kim - a trade organization, union, or guild. Sometimes kims are associated with a particular region, and so have some political power as representatives for that district or zone.
Oct 15, 2015 5:40 pm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Qralloq
You each follow Marik, who is able to follow the boccord runner through the crowds but makes sure that each of you are following and not getting lost. You find yourselves in a fancier area of town than you are accustomed to travel; the ratio of humans to other races gets much higher. The boccord leads you into a place called "Happy Corondon," which turns out to be a fancy illidge. Busy shasts glide about, serving various dishes to an indolent assortment of merchants, traders, sages, Iscin, and others whose jobs don't require hard physical labor. Shasts turn to you, then, seeing who has led you here, turn back to their other customers. The boccord leads you to a large table half-concealed behind a curtain. The table is laid with a place for each of you. The boccord nods to you, then to another boccord standing behind the shoulder of the woman seated at the table, bows to the woman, and then leaves back the way he came.

Keshtia Gelicia Skay looks to be early in her fourth decade (though Miniri knows that she is considerably older), with the grace and poise of someone who has always enjoyed the loyalty and service of others. She smiles and gestures you to your seats.
"Welcome, tauther. The accommodations are meager, but I hope that you will enjoy my hospitality nonetheless."

http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/images/content/a_taste_of_morocco/gallery/2013_morocco_1_gallery.jpg

New terms:
corondon: a giant monster native to Jorune. None of you have ever seen one, but you do know that the corondon's claws are used to make "hardswords," curved scimitars with 6' blades wielded by the shantha.
illidge: a combination of restaurant and hotel; an inn.
Oct 16, 2015 3:13 pm
Gythaar takes one of the seats indicated and listens carefully. The mercenary has taken many jobs from such employers in his bid for drennship (and before then, from far less illustrious ones in less than savory locales). It is best, he has learned, to listen and learn as much as one can of one's employers and associates.

As the others take their seats he nods to Marik, with whom he has worked before. He has found the talented muadra an extremely talented caji, and well worthy of trust and respect. Gythaar nods to Barragar as well. The boccord warrior looks familiar, possibly someone from his days in the militia. Surprisingly, the other crugar in the room, a sleek, attractive, young female, is unknown to him. He nods to her politely anyway. Then Gythaar turns to Keshta Skay to listen to what she has to say.
Last edited October 16, 2015 7:08 pm
Oct 16, 2015 3:19 pm
Marik takes his seat, "Thank you for your hospitality, I am truly looking forward to working together," he says to her and waits for everyone else to take their seats.
Oct 18, 2015 2:22 am
After an interlude of dining and light conversation, during which the keshtia makes clear that she knows an awful lot about each of you, including things you would rather not be known, Gelicia Skay steers the subject to her drawing of your tablets.
http://prints.encore-editions.com/0/500/mrs-whitelaw-reid--2.jpg
(illustration to give a sense of the poise of the keshtia, not meant as actual representation of her appearance)

"You each have performed admirably and discreetly in situations where I have required prompt and effective service, though usually it was someone in my employ who pulled your tablets in the past. I have need of your skills in a particularly delicate matter now."

She pauses for a moment, to make eye contact with each of you - a particularly human affectation, but the power of her gaze is palpable even to the crugar, whose connections tend more strongly toward touch and scent than vision.

"It has to do with my son, Luce. He's missing, and I need you to find him."
Oct 18, 2015 7:21 am
Miniri meets the keshtias gaze uncomfortably and attempts to enjoy the odd experience. However, she well knows that she will be judged on criteria that she only vaguely understands. She knows the routine, and she knows that she knows, but knowing is not always understanding.

It is with such thoughts that she hears the echo of 'missing' around the suddenly still table. Utensils stilled, even breath stops. "Here it is, our fortunes or our failures. Not just a boys life entrusted to us, but our very fates." She pauses, unsure if she should continue. "How old is he? Is he grown or still small?" The last comes out lower, almost mewling as she tries to emulate human worry sounds.
Last edited October 18, 2015 7:22 am
Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm
"Luce is an adult, and has been seeking Drennship as a tauther like you for quite some time. He is also serving an important diplomatic function, and his absence is making our contacts in Heridoth very uneasy. It is vital that Luce is found and returned to Ardoth!"

(edit: Heridoth is the primarily human country across Ardoth Bay to the east of Burdoth. It is a loose confederacy of city-states, many of them practicing a state religion, though the church does not govern. Heridoth and Burdoth have had a long history of alternating conflict and alliance, much like Heridoth itself, which does not have a dharsage ruling over all. Instead, the rulers of the different city-states have a complex web of alliances, antipathies, and treaties; the differences between the cities is very clear to anyone living there, but to the rest of the worl d, it's all just "Heridoth."
Oct 18, 2015 5:11 pm
Miniri nods. She retrieves her note paper and writing utensil, and jots a note in thriddle. "I will assume that this is politically sensitive. I will take notes but in Thriddle and in shorthand so it will not be easily deciphered." She begins to speak more easily, but with less fluctuation. She asks a number of questions, nearly oblivious to the keshtia's emotions. She carefully notes the responses on her pad.

"He was in Heridoth when he went missing?"
"Does he have any personal enemies who wish vendetta against him in particular?"
"Was he working on anything particularly sensitive before his disappearance?"
"Who would gain most from the interruption of his duties?"
Oct 20, 2015 12:01 am
"No, Luce was here in Ardoth. He worked all over - most recently he was doing tothis work down by the docks on the Bay - but he never took jobs outside of the city, due to the...delicate nature of the work he was to do."

She looks at the impassive face of the boccord bodyguard and then waits as some of the shasts come to take away the dishes. She continues in a low voice once they've left.

"Diplomats and ambassadors have been hard at work for years, since the end of the war, to cement a bond between Burdoth and Heridoth. Our trade agreements with Koistra and Sholis, just across the Bay, are well-known. But what isn't known is that we've been working to forge an alliance with the Monev or York as well. Luce is betrothed to Princess Gansei of York, and they are to be married on the first of Auss! The alliance balances on this union, and without Luce, the Monev will wax wroth."

She looks at your blank expressions at her archaic language, misinterprets it, and explains: "Monev is the title for the rulers of York; a bit like dharsage. The Monev is not a patient or forgiving man; it has taken years to bring him to this point, and he will react poorly if Luce is not here to marry his daughter come Auss."

She takes a moment to calm herself, and then considers the questions Miniri has posed.

"As to personal enemies, he's had a few duels, but he was vindicated each time. No, I think it is more likely that agents from another Heridoth city have somehow discovered the upcoming alliance and are trying to sabotage it. I understand that both Koistra and Sholis have extremists who would welcome conflict with Burdoth, even though they benefit from our trade. Ellemin, perhaps?" She looks at each of you, as if she expects insight into the politics of the Burdoth state from you. Then she remembers that she's talking to tauther and smiles. "Well, some rival city of Heridoth, anyway. Jates here" (indicating the bodyguard) "seems to think the ramian were involved, but frankly, that's ridiculous. It's got to be Heridoth!"

New terms:
Auss: Autumn. One of the four seasons on Jorune: Eris (Spring), Mullin (Summer), Auss (Autumn), and Crith (Winter).
Ellemin: a more distant city in Heridoth, site of a major Ardothian defeat in the last war (the Burdothian flagship was sunk within sight of Ellemin).
Heridoth: neighboring region of Jorune: a collection of city-states on the peninsula east, across Ardoth Bay.
Koistra and Sholis: the two cities in Heridoth closest to Ardoth (just across the Bay), long rivals for Burdothian trade. They are indicated by two dots on the local map of Jorune in the maps thread, just to the left of "The Ellih"
Monev: the hereditary ruler of York.
Ramian: tall, gangly aliens infamous for their brutality in battle, ramian require a particular herb, shirm-eh, to heal. Every few decades, another war breaks out as ramian from the northern continent of Voligire attempt to conquer southern lands.
Shirm-eh: a plant extract that assists ramian in healing when ingested, in much the same way that Earth life needs durlig to digest food. The plants from which shirm-eh is extracted grow well in temperate to warm climates.
Voligire: the cold northern continent which is home to the ramian.
York: a major port city in Eastern Heridoth, which controls a large region of the country and holds sway over several smaller cities. Shown on the Heridoth map in the map thread: the small dot just to the right of "HERIDOTH"
Oct 20, 2015 2:46 am
Marik takes a moment to digest all of this information before speaking, "So, there are a few possibilities here. A rival city, the ramian, extremists... it's a lot to take in, and a lot of places to start looking," he takes another moment to think about everything, "You're more familiar with all of this, where do you think we should start looking?"
Oct 20, 2015 3:19 pm
"Well, Jates here would have you look down at the docks, and I suppose that whomever took him might still be there, or there might be witnesses if someone saw anything. My problem is that all of my servants are known to the Heridothians, through our long interactions. Your inquiries - as long as they are discreet - will not be as obvious, and perhaps you can get close to the villains without their suspicions being raised." She pats the boccord bodyguard on the arm. "I will put Jates at your disposal; he can point you in the right direction, as he knows the docks. He could tell you about Luce's last observed locations. I must be seen to continue my normal routine, so that the Monev's agents will not suspect anything is amiss. I have appointments to keep with them, and I must keep them busy so that they do not suspect that Luce is missing." She pauses for a moment, pensively, apparently overwhelmed at the task of stringing along the York agents. "But I'm sure you'll find him soon. Jates can also direct you to the locations of various ambassadors of the Heridothian cities, as well as shenters where visitors from Heridoth go. You might check there first." She considers what else might be useful, though she's clearly getting more rattled as she talks this stuff out - apparently she's kept her anxiety about the whole situation bottled up for some time, and now that she's talking about it, she's getting more emotional. "I'm hoping that you'll find him quickly, so that we can get back to our normal lives and you can complete your tothis. But if it takes longer - if they've taken Luce aboard ship and you need to follow - I can help with your expenses. Just talk to Jates and he will arrange it. Obviously I can't talk with you directly again; we're trying to keep our association secret so the Heridothian kidnappers won't suspect you have anything to do with finding Luce."
Oct 21, 2015 8:03 am
Gythaar has remained silent throughout, and perfectly still apart from an occasional twitch of his tail. The moment Skay mentioned her son, Gythaar clutched his challisk and his hand remained there for the duration of her revelations. Family is the most important thing to the grizzled crugar, the reason for everything. His thoughts wander when the keshtia launches into political speculation. Bordothian-Heridothian relations are beyond him... let the querrid sort it out. His gaze lingers on the bodyguard Jates, taking the measure of the boccord, sizing him up.
"
What would I roll to "read" Skay's scent? And Jates' too?
Oct 21, 2015 2:45 pm
"Sounds like the docks are as good a place to start as any," Marik says as he stands up, "it's best that we start as soon as possible. I'm ready to go now, unless you have more information for us."
Oct 21, 2015 2:47 pm
Gythaar, give me a SCENT check (roll 1d20, target number is your LISTEN -1) for each NPC you want to "read."

Anyone else can also do SPOT, SCENT, or LISTEN checks, if there's something you want to detect. You can also explain how you'd use interaction or etiquette to perform a SOCIAL check.

Finally, jump in at any time if there's a skill you wish to use.

As Gythaar does his SCENT check, I'll point out that you each know that there are 40 days left in Mullin, and the keshtia has told you that she wants Luce back before Auss begins (thus you have 40 days to complete this task and become Drenn).
Oct 21, 2015 2:54 pm
Gythaar, studies his hosts, trying to get a read on them. Old habits.

Rolls

SCENT: Keshtia Skay (target = 11) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

SCENT: Jates (target = 11) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Oct 21, 2015 4:55 pm
The Keshtia smiles at Marik. "Thank you." She gestures and Jates rises to accompany you. "If you have any questions, or if you find any information about Luce, talk to Jates."
Oct 21, 2015 5:15 pm
"Thank you, High Justice, for the meal and the trust." Miniri bows her head deeply. She feels that they have been summarily dismissed, so her eyes narrow as she tucks her notepaper away and rises. Her eyes fixate on the uneaten food, but she raises them to meet Gelicia Skay's gaze, should it fall upon her.

How much are they holding back? she wonders. For the first time, she eyes Jates. Is he our guide or watcher?
Oct 21, 2015 8:36 pm
Gythaar, too, knows that they have been dismissed. He rises and bows respectfully to the Keshtia. Noticing Miniri's expression he has a good idea what she is thinking, as her thoughts must surely mirror his own. He looks the crugar in he eyes and tries to communicate wordlessly: Trust me. Trust them...for now.
Oct 22, 2015 8:10 pm
Jates the boccord bodyguard waits for a moment as the other boccord returns to the keshtia's side and gives a nod. Then Jates leads Marik, Miniri, Gythaar and Barragar out a back entrance and you begin to wend your way down the hill toward Ardoth Bay.

"My esteemed mistress" (he says this sincerely, without any irony or sarcasm) "likes to think everything has to do with politics. I am not convinced. I think sometimes there are simpler reasons for things to happen. I'm going to show you what I've found, and what I've heard." That said, he does seem a bit paranoid about people following you, as he does a fair amount of apparently aimless wandering which is actually doubling back and circling to make sure to identify any "tails."

The light sparkles off of the waters of Ardoth Bay spread below you, filled with the ships from many nations. The streets of Ardoth in mid-morning are filled with people of all races, and all sorts are evident as you descend the hill into the less affluent areas of the capital. A boccord beaster loses his grip on the reins of a thombo, and the huge gourd-shaped creature ambles off down an alley. A bronth hauling a hand cart gets into a wordy dispute with a corastin carrying heavy boxes about who has right of way on a hill. A muadra youth - possibly a dyte punk - runs past, pursued by several human yords. A thriddle in a litter carried by pale-skinned humans jogs up the hill.
Oct 23, 2015 6:14 pm
Miniri, ever eager to start a journey, helps set a strong pace. Soon, however, she tires and begins to lag behind with Marik. When she sees the triddle being borne by litter, she lets out a quiet mewling noise.

From the rear, she examines her companions. Gythaar - his knowing glance seemed like he had a plan. He is a strong fighter, but perhaps his plan isn't as straight forward as would be expected from a crugar warrior. Marik - he seemed to grasp some of the politics. Barragar - this one has been extremely quiet... suspicious, or simply exercising wisdom?
Oct 23, 2015 6:16 pm
Marik follows quietly, SO close to becoming Drenn, he thinks to himself, thrilled and terrified of what that means.
Oct 24, 2015 7:13 pm
Having satisfied himself that you are not being followed, Jates leads the party to a small building not far from the docks.
"These are my rooms," he explains as he leads you inside. He opens the windows to let in fresh air and gestures to the four chairs at a table. He then crosses the room and pulls out a small chest from underneath the side table. He sets it on the table and opens it, revealing some papers and assorted small items. "These are the things I found in Luce's rooms, which he kept here near the docks."
Oct 25, 2015 4:35 pm
Gythaar glances at the papers with interest but before he takes a seat he paces the room and peers carefully out the windows. The crafty crugar stays alert, trying to discern any threats, within the building and without. "How secure are we here, Jates?"Gythaar asks the boccord. Inwardly he thinks, Here we have secrets. And where there are secrets, danger always follows!
Oct 25, 2015 4:51 pm
Miniri is drawn to the papers like a kitten to sinew. She sifts through the papers casually and then begins to organize them. Once they have been shuffled into a semblance of order, she begins to scan them for clues.
Oct 25, 2015 5:36 pm
Marik sits down with Miniri, assisting in searching through the papers.
Oct 25, 2015 8:48 pm
There are a number of letters; Miniri easily separates them by writer. Though some of them are unsigned, the handwriting gives them away (not to mention the distinct scents). There are, broadly speaking, two categories of correspondence: love letters, and official documents (both from the dharsage and from York). The official documents are praise from the dharsage (or his representatives) for the role Luce is to play in the alliance between Ardoth and York, as well as information about York and Yorkian VIPs; formal correspondence from the Monev of York (or his representatives) for the role Luce is to play in the alliance; and also correspondence with the keshtia Gelicia Skay (Luce's mother). The love letters are formal letters from Princess Gansei of York; brief notes of affection from an unsigned admirer; and an assortment of love notes from a variety of Ardothian assignations. There is also a note that is distinct for smell, paper, and language: it is not written in Entren, but instead is composed of jagged hash marks that seem organized enough to not be random scribbling.

Jates nods at Gythaar, "Yes, no one should know that I am here. I rented these rooms only recently, out of concern for Luce."

Barragar stands impassively at the door, his bulk a reassuring, familiar and silent presence.
Oct 27, 2015 5:47 pm
Marik inspects the note that they can't read, trying to see if he can find any meaning in it.

Rolls

Rolling vs Education (15) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Oct 27, 2015 10:06 pm
Miniri frowns at the number of possibilities. "The alliance documents don't seem inflammatory. The love letters and the letter from this other admirer... competitors intrigue? We could sniff around and see where the princess has been these past few days." She pauses, thinking quickly.

"Jates, where is his mail drop? I wonder who is still sending him letters," she says, clearly emphasizing the word 'still'.
Oct 28, 2015 8:48 am
Anyone who wishes to look at the strange writing can roll a 1d20 against his/her EDUCATION characteristic (to see if they've happened to see something similar in their past).

Jates nods. "Yes, he gets such letters often, usually delivered by a private messenger. None of them made me suspicious, but I can direct you to each of the women who've written them, for the ones in Ardoth." Miniri and Gythaar can roll 1d20 checks against SOCIAL, or provide a skill (and its level) that you think would apply to discerning something about what the boccord is telling you.
Oct 28, 2015 12:02 pm
While taking in what Jates is saying, Gythaar studies the papers laid out on the table.

Rolls

Education (7) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Social (6) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Oct 28, 2015 1:14 pm
Miniri chews on her lower lip thoughtfully, mulling over what Jates had been saying.

Rolls

Education (11) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Social (10) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 30, 2015 1:12 am
Neither of the crugar recognize the writing, and Barragar is impassive, refusing to take a look. But Marik, inspecting the page of text, recognizes it as a note in Rorch-ko, the language of the ramian. He does not know Rorch-ko well enough to read it himself, but he knows it to see it.
Quote:

Along with the crugar of Temauntro and the heridothians, the ramian of Voligire are one of three realms that have tried to invade and conquer Burdoth in the last hundred years. Ramian are tall, skeletally thin, grey-skinned humanoid sentient creatures. Iscins know that (like humans, thriddle, cleash, corastin and many others) the presence of eyes indicates that ramian are not native to Jorune. Ramian also do not thrive on Jorune. Much as Terran creatures need durlig to digest food, ramian need a limilate called "shirm-eh" to heal from wounds and illnesses. Ramian are respected as dauntless warriors and shrewd merchants, but they are feared because of chiveer. Periodically, an otherwise rational ramian will start to grow horns called "chivs" out of his cheeks. With the chivs comes an extreme bloodlust, a berserk desire for mayhem that results in these crazed ramian being exiled from polite ramian society. This period of a ramian's life is called chiveer, or being "in chiveer." Most ramian have little choice in the matter, though some ramian manage to master a mental discipline of fasting and meditation where they are able to suppress chiveer through force of will; these ramian masters of peace are called "chiven-rachu-eh." Chiv, chiveer, chiven-rachu-eh, and shirm-eh are the four words of Rorch-ko that most people on Jorune know.
http://www.milesteves.com/gallery/d/1298-3/Ramian.jpg
Ramian in chiveer
Jates looks uncomfortable. "My mistress is very concerned about Luce. We all are! But..." clearly he's finding it difficult to continue. "...I believe she...she is mistaken in sending you to pursue the Heridothians. There! I said it!" He takes a deep breath, shaken at his ability to speak ill of the Keshtia. "She did not want me to tell you this, I think because she wants you to embarrass Cho Dantto by finding Luce first. But I think that note" (indicating the Rorch-ko scrawl in Marik's hands) "may mean that chasing the Heridothians is the wrong path. And it is wrong - wrong! - to play such competitive games when Luce's life may be at stake!"
Quote:

Another note, this time about Jorune and jurisprudence: though thousands of years have passed since the civilization started over, in many ways Burdoth remains in a late medieval or early renaissance level of thought. With Iscin there are pockets of near-Enlightenment thinking, but they are rare in the larger society. As a result, guilt is usually determined by accusation and testimony, rather than evidence. Thus it would never have occurred to Jates to leave the letters where he found them; his taking the initiative to read the letters is actually rather forward-thinking. Most people would have heard someone accuse the Heridothians and would have said "That makes sense" and left it at that, assured of the guilt of unknown foreign assailants. Along with some Iscins, however, there are a few people who are known as "yiordeh" (super law men) who have been ritually trained to look for evidence. These yiordeh may or may not understand all the actual principles of cause and effect, but their methods resemble a modern detective's methods, and they get results in finding criminals that are often surprising and astounding to observers. Observers sometimes view them as almost witch-doctors or magicians, for their ability to hunt down crooks.

As PCs, you may approach these things however you like, in whatever level of enlightened fashion/scientific inquiry you wish. I just wanted to let you know what society's standard is for determining guilt.
Oct 30, 2015 2:32 pm
Marik listens to Jates' impassioned speech, truly feeling bad for the position he is in, "Well, the easiest way to find out what's going on would be find someone to translate this for us. The Keshtia gave us a lot of discretion in this matter, so we must take the path we think best in finding Luce. Does anyone know of anyone trustworthy that can read Rorch-ko?"
Last edited October 30, 2015 2:32 pm
Oct 31, 2015 12:41 am
Miniri would know several entris, but any of you with a Getting Around or Contacts at Experienced or better would at least know of one. Those with less can roll against Getting Around or Contacts to find one.

In addition, those with Contacts or Current Events at Experienced would recognize Cho Dantto's name (you can do a check against Contacts or Current Events if you have a rank lower than Experienced).

Rolls

Getting Around for Barragar - 10 (entris) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Contacts for Barragar - 10 (Cho Dantto) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 31, 2015 6:47 am
[Contacts - ranked 6/Familiar]

Rolls

[Contacts - ranked 6/Familiar] - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm
Rolling

Rolls

Contacts for translator (6/familiar) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Current Events to know of Cho Dantto (8/Familiar) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 31, 2015 11:10 pm
Gythaar knows that Cho Dantto is a revered detective ("yiordeh") who has been a favorite of the dharsage for a few years. If Cho Dantto is on the case, the saying goes, then let evildoers beware!

Surprised, Barragar rumbles "Cho Dantto! Why do they need us, then?"

Miniri exchanges a glance with Barragar. They worked together on a mission where they'd found ancient scrolls on strange metallic cylinders, and they'd taken them to Krune Tassasatra, a sage old entris living in the Sharben neighborhood. Krune has proven skilled in every type of written language they've seen him attempt.
Nov 1, 2015 12:13 am
"You remember her, too, Barragar? That time with the scrolls?" Miniri thinks hard, her jaws slightly parted. "She knew many languages, but can we trust her with something this sensitive?"
Nov 1, 2015 5:56 am
Gythaar nods at Barragar's comment. "Cho Dantto is a legend. Barragar is right, why would they hire us if he's on the case? Cho never fails. He'll find Luce, if Luce has really been taken by Heridothians. Jates here is right: Cho's most probably been sent on a false trail and we're to be used as pawns to embarrass him. But WHY?" Gythaar scratches thoughtfully at his whiskers. "I'm not in the habit of asking the why's behind missions - I do the job, I get out, and get paid. THat's how you survive as long as I have. But this is Cho Dantto. Not an enemy I want to make."
Nov 1, 2015 4:31 pm
Barragar doesn't spend any time thinking about Miniri's question before answering: "Krune is reliable. Besides, what choice do we have? Do any of the rest of you know another entris?" He turns to Jates. "Any entris you would know would probably tell the Keshtia that we've been translating rorch-ko, right?" The giant boccord turns back to you, shrugs. "No choice."

He shuffles through the letters. "I wonder if all these women knew that Luce was betrothed, or whether one of them just found out recently..." Barragar squirms a bit. "That kind of thing can get...awkward."
Nov 3, 2015 6:43 pm
Barragar lets the letters fall from his hands. "Maybe a lover had something to do with it, but I want to know what Krune has to say about this note from ramian...my uncle was killed by those bony bastards."
Nov 3, 2015 7:04 pm
Jates watches you leave, nervously chewing on a fingernail in his anxiety about Luce. "I'll be here, if you need to contact me again!"

Barragar leads the way to Sharben, across the face of the hill. It's more of a residential neighborhood, with more homes than any other type of building. The flow of traffic is hardly lesser, though. Once in the neighborhood, Barragar's steps slow uncertainly, and Miniri takes over leading the group to Krune Tassasatra's home. Like most homes in Burdoth, it is composed of white-washed and plastered adobe brick. Windows looking over the Bay are open, letting in the sea breeze which helps keep the house cool in the heat of the day. It is late forenoon.

Krune Tassasatra opens the door at your call (knocking is considered very rude and peremptory on Jorune). Though old, he remains alert and recognizes both Miniri and Barragar. He invites you all in, sets you up with tea, small cakes of nut bread, and small plates of creshi (a pickled fish) for the carnivores. He seems delighted to have visitors and is a good host.

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cutcaster-photo-801014722-Old-African-black-man-with-characterful-face.jpg

After the requisite small talk, he asks: "What can Krune do to help you? Usually you seek Krune only when you want something. What is it?"

(We can do this by role-playing it, or we can do a abridged version based on SOCIAL checks...or other skills you think you'd like to apply)
Nov 3, 2015 7:29 pm
Marik will produce the letter that they found, "We found this letter, it appears to be in Rorch-ko and we were hoping you could translate it for us."
Nov 3, 2015 9:28 pm
Miniri bows respectfully, her back awkwardly straight in the human style. She then leans forward and sniffs a greeting in the crugar form. "Thank you for seeing us, honored elder." She nods at Marik. "This is a matter of some delicacy."
Nov 4, 2015 4:45 pm
Krune smiles. "Rorch-ko is a challenge... S'good - I like challenges! Not seen much Rorch-ko since d'War, when dharsage has me translate spy messages!"

The old man takes the letter and peruses the page, murmuring over it as he reads.

After reading through it, he says: "This is a spy document, from d'War?"
He turns the page over in his hands.
"Paper is new...this is a copy of spy note from d'War?"
He peers at you and then shrugs.

"No matter, I translate. Short note!" He laughs jovially, though none of you are sure why he's laughing.

His wizened hands clear a space for the paper on the table, and he sets it out so you can see it. Then he points at different lines as he tells you about them.

"Rorch-ko very formal language; ramian very controlled, precise people. Right way to do everything. Written, Rorch-ko usually in five-line paragraphs. Form requires first paragraph to be introduction and praise, complimenting d'person the letter was for."
His finger stabs down at the paper.
"Not so here. Only one paragraph! Hee-hee! Spies write shorter messages, very, very rude - no compliments. No names! Only places. First line, here - very scandalous:

'shipment preparation' or 'ready for package'

Author is writing to person, expecting a delivery. What is it? See the second line:

'bring shirm-eh...' - with these ramian, it's usually shirm-eh - uh, where was I? Oh, yes:
'bring shirm-eh to T'Suha'

T'Suha is a person, or a place? Usually can tell with Rorch-ko, but this is missing formal articles and gender; could be either. Definitely a name; this symbol always precedes a name.

Next line:
'paid for Mo-an Darf-ter Kaigon...'
The name symbol shows that those are three names; Kaigon is the town..."

Barragar nods. Kaigon is a large settlement to the west, in southern Gauss just past the Glounda Forest, two days' ride by thombo from Ardoth.

"Fourth line and fifth line:
'Gratitude and prayers
Clear head and eyes'

...these are excerpts of formal Rorch-ko letters, which always end with compliments and well-wishes for d'reader. No higher value for a ramian than self-control; what is meant by 'clear head and eyes.' The author couldn't break tradition totally, and had to complete d'five lines."

Krune cackles a wheezing laugh again and pours more tea.
"So...some time during d'War, some spy was working with ramian to get them their medicine, and arranged for a shipment out of Gauss." He sips his tea and looks shrewdly at Miniri. "You working on a history book? History of d'War? I could tell you a lot about d'War..."

Everyone make a geography check, or just tell me if you are Experienced/Rank 12 or higher in that skill.
Nov 4, 2015 5:06 pm
Miniri tries to recall the maps she has seen to place this all into context.

Rolls

Geography (6-Familiar, but added 3 ranks for a 9) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Nov 4, 2015 5:07 pm
Marik attempts to recall anything he can.

Experienced in Geography!
Nov 4, 2015 6:18 pm
Barragar also searches his memory...

Rolls

Geography - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Traveler check (vs rank 10) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nov 4, 2015 6:24 pm
Being tauther and thus travelers, all four of you (Barragar, Gythaar, Miniri and Marik) recognize that "T'Suha" is the name of a port city on the island of Reet. The city is more commonly known in Burdoth as Telmin. Reet is not part of Burdoth or any larger nation; it is in independent island state, and as such it is a haven for pirates, vagabonds, raiders and refugees of various stripes (see the maps thread; Reet is included on the map of Burdoth/Heridoth).

I would also welcome checks against either Current Events or Traveler.

Edit: Reminder: if you haven't already, please note your current foci for this sequence in Ardoth.
Nov 4, 2015 6:25 pm
Rolling vs Current Events

Foci: Current Events, contacts, Getting around, silent movement, history
Last edited November 4, 2015 8:10 pm

Rolls

Current Events (8 Ranks) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nov 4, 2015 8:03 pm
Foci for this sequence:
Tail: 6/Familiar
Search: 6/Familiar
Contacts: 6/Familiar
Traveler: 6/Familiar

Gythaar is Experienced in Geography: 12 ranks

Rolls

Traveler: 6/Familiar - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Nov 5, 2015 6:09 am
You all also realize that the normal way to get to Reet is by ship from Ardoth. Traveling overland from Kaigon would take at least twice as long and be much more dangerous.

Nov 6, 2015 10:15 am
Gythaar's eyes narrow. "Telmin. Reet. Things could get real dicey real fast, especially if we take the overland route through Kaigon-Gauss. A ship from Ardoth then? Speaking of ships, I just remembered something I heard the last time out was out West: they were talking about the crystal schooners out of Jasp, and how they were going to extend their routes into Gauss. The crystal schooners are a closely guarded secret of the nation of Jasp, which, as you'll recall is a backwater country on the northern tip of Temauntro. Jasp has, with the secret of these flying ships, become a serious economic power in recent years, because what nation doesn't want to stay on the good side of a country that could effortlessly fly entire armies across borders, eh? So far, Jasp hasn't taken sides in any major conflict, which both relieves and pisses off most nations' rulers. But Jasp keeps expanding its trade routes. What if this name - Mo-an Darf-ter - was the name of a crystal schooner?"
Last edited November 6, 2015 10:16 am
Nov 6, 2015 3:56 pm
"Flying ships, huh?" Barragar muses. "How are each of you with the idea of riding a talmaron? We might not be able to catch Luce before he got on the ship, but we might. Or, if we don't, we'd at least get to Kaigon faster."
Nov 6, 2015 3:58 pm
http://i.imgur.com/PeVeQ.png

You all know talmaron; they're the native Jorune creatures that fly on giant bat wings, using their tra sense to navigate using isho. They are less common as riding beasts than either thombo or bochigon, but you'd be able to procure the use of them easily in Ardoth (particularly with the keshtia's resources).
Nov 6, 2015 4:02 pm
Marik considers for a moment, thrilled and terrified at the though of riding a Talmaron, "I say we go for it. If we can get him back before they reach their destination then he'll be less well-guarded than wherever they are planning to keep him."
Nov 6, 2015 10:03 pm
Miniri trembles at the thought, but when she sees Marik voice his approval, she also nods her head. Her voice trembling, she says "Marik is right, of course, it would be best if we don't let them get prepared."
Nov 7, 2015 9:14 pm
"I don't know talmaron aeries here in Ardoth, but luckily they're easy to spot."

The boccord, not accustomed to social niceties, makes as if ready to leave. If you have anything more to ask of Krune, do so now, or follow Barragar out and make Getting Around checks (succeed with Experienced or better) to recall a reputable talmaron aerie. As an alternative, you can roll SPOT checks to ...uh... spot the spires or towers favored by talmaron handlers.
Nov 8, 2015 3:19 pm
Miniri scribbles down the translation in her notes, while chewing on a piece of food, and thanks Krune. She hurries the others out of the abode, worrying that they will reveal even more information to him. There are secrets here that aren't theirs to share.
Nov 10, 2015 1:11 am
The four of you are outside again, scanning the skyline for a nearby aerie. Barragar points at a tower a few blocks away. "That might be one!"

Rolls

Barragar SPOT check - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Nov 10, 2015 9:41 pm
Marik keeps his eyes open for a possible Talmaron Aerie.

Rolls

Spot Check vs Spot 17 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Nov 11, 2015 3:52 pm
Marik easily confirms that what he sees in between the buildings of the district is clearly a talmaron aerie.
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B071DukoNZd1WXdOY1FDX3Bmcnc
As he watches, one of the great furred beasts wings off of the tower from out of one of the arches near the top, confirming the fact.
Nov 11, 2015 4:36 pm
Miniri ducks behind Barragar, hiding her eyes from that too tall tower. She peers from behind him at it. Eyes wide, she makes a small mewling noise, but continues to follow.
Nov 12, 2015 6:51 am
Gythaar remains alert as the group moves toward the aerie. If they have been hired as a redundancy or a foil, who's to tell someone has been sent to foil them as well? He has enough experience in jobs like these to know a watch has been set upon them. Only time will tell if Jates' efforts to shake off that watch has succeeded.
Nov 12, 2015 7:41 am
Quote:
A side note about beast centers: most of the creatures on Jorune are alien. That being the case, the various mounts (thombo, talmaron, bochigon) are incapable of developing a bond with a particular rider descended from Earth (they are not mammals). Some particularly romantic members of the PC races will seek to own their own mounts, name them, and treat the named ones preferentially, but for most people on Jorune one freaky alien creature is much like any other, and they are largely treated like rental cars by all except professional beasters. Even thombocs would look askance at someone who always rode the same thombo; they, like beasters, have several mounts, and they rotate them like farmers rotating crops. What this means is that the idea of owning a mount is extravagant and eccentric unless you're a beaster. Pretty much everyone else pays for the use of a mount, and the beaster in question will base the price on whatever agreements he has with beasters at the destination location for returning/replacing the animals. Then, like with the Pony Express, the rider drops off a mount at the next station and pays for the next leg of the trip, if any.
It occurs to you to wonder whether the name of Gelicia Skay will be enough, or how you will pay for talmaron mounts if you choose to not broadcast that you are working for the Keshtia. You have arrived in a small square surrounding the tower being used as a talmaron aerie. The tower is made from mismatched pieces of ancient sandstone and other sedimentary rocks, and gives an impression of both great age and that its golden years are long behind it. Cracks abound in the stone, and vines of a particularly hardy sort of weed are snaking up the outside of the first 25 feet of the tower. There is a broad archway for a front entrance, but not a lot of foot traffic at the moment.
Nov 14, 2015 12:36 am
As you stand, looking up at the tower, another talmaron comes flapping in for a landing through an arch at the top.
Nov 14, 2015 12:45 am
"Well, no point in standing around, lets go in and see what we can do," Marik says, leading the way in. He looks and sounds at ease but his stomach is tied up in knots.
Nov 14, 2015 4:41 pm
The party enters the tower, which has a large vaulted ceiling and a further sense of incredible age.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/ancient-medieval-room-arches-ruin-elegant-gothic-vaulted-ceiling-door-window-recess-allowing-bright-47873891.jpg

A small human in a sleeveless robe approaches you with a smile. "Welcome! Are you looking for a mount?" he asks this of Marik, then adds hopefully. "Or...am I preparing more than one talmaron?" This guy has a definite gleam in his eye.

Barragar clears his throat and tries to speak an aside to the rest of you. The little salesman tries to eavesdrop without appearing to. "I don't...uh...maybe we should get Jates to give us an advance on expenses." He seems a little too embarrassed to admit that he is short on cash. "I mean, it sounds like we may be in the country for a while - we won't be able to get money after we leave the city...."
Nov 14, 2015 7:19 pm
Marik shakes his head at the salesman and says, "We are just here to inquire about costs. How much is it to rent one of these beasts?"
Nov 20, 2015 5:14 am
As Marik and the salesman haggle about pricing, Barragar goes off in search of Jates, to request an advance on the expenses they will incur in retrieving Luce.

The muadra sailor, Yongap, has been trying to make an honest living, even going so far as to become tauther. The bronth, Vordenir, is also tauther, and they are going to Kaigon to hunt down a cad who has fled after getting a young woman pregnant. Their sense of the need for speed has led them to the same talmaron aerie, where they have met with the rest of the party. Quickly Vordenir and Yongap pay for the flying mounts. Barragar returns just then with cash enough to hire four more talmaron, and the group quickly realizes that they all are headed to the same destination. After some discussion, they warily agree to travel together, as there is strength in numbers (which is particularly important in the wild).

With some comic attempts at initial flight, none of which end in injury because these are extremely docile, domesticated talmaron, the party takes flight and wings off to the west of Ardoth, heading out toward Glounda Forest on the horizon.
Nov 20, 2015 5:57 am
Yongap chances a look down as he works to guide the talmaron. He keeps telling himself that this is just like sailing a boat, and yes, some boats actually do have minds of their own. He scans the topography of the countryside to identify landmarks and ensure that they're all headed in the right direction.

For the time being, Yongap conveniently ignores the question of how to land this thing.

OOC: Using Geography here, but if I need to use Geology, substitute that instead.

OOC: Moved this to the next thread
Last edited November 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Rolls

Geography - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Nov 20, 2015 4:20 pm
OK, time to note the rolls that Marik, Miniri, Gythaar, and Barragar received for checks against your foci now. Mark them on your character sheets, something like "Improvement rolls: 1"

Then you can save the rolls, or spend them to attempt improvement, which you can do here or in the System: Improvement thread. Here makes sense from a story perspective, while keeping them in the Improvement thread may make them easier to review later (though if you do that, label your post as "Improvement rolls for sequence 1.2").

Everyone should also select your foci for the next sequence, or decide to keep one or more the same. If you change a focus, you must use the roll(s) to attempt to improve the skill; you cannot save improvement rolls for a skill when you're not focused on it.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to CancerMan

You do not have permission to post in this thread.