Gmail blocking emails from GP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 31, 2018 12:57 am
I know a number of you have been having trouble getting emails from Gamers' Plane over the last few weeks. Looks like 2-3 weeks ago, Gmail started blocking all emails from the Gamers' Plane server, and I've been unable to figure out why so far. If you're not getting emails and would like to change your email address, just email contact@gamersplane.com and I'll change it for you. If you know anything about mass emails, email servers, and Gmail, please reach out to me, or if you know someone with experience, please refer them to me? I'm ready to pay a reasonable consult fee to help solve this problem.
Dec 31, 2018 5:41 pm
It seems that they are going to Spam. I wasn't getting them, and just now checked my SPAM folder and sure enough there they are. It may be that some people are clicking the emails are spam, which would trigger Gmail to block them.

Also, I have seen some spam in your forums, where people are advertising for things. Perhaps they triggered something as well?

I just reported your email as NOT spam, so we will see what happens.
Dec 31, 2018 5:44 pm
I also just reported a GP message in my Gmail spam folder as Not Spam.
Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm
I don't know what Google's algorithms are, but I'm guessing GP reached a threshold on the amount of mail being sent out within a certain time frame. I'd imagine if a person is subscribed to multiple forums and they all fired off messages with the same subject line "New Posts," that might automatically send the messages to spam without the user marking them.

For what it's worth, I've never had any GP mail sent to spam. However, I only subscribed to one forum, and I've only tagged new D&D 5e games to send me notifications, so the amount of mail being sent to me was minimal and certainly not enough to trigger any red flags.

I don't know if this is possible in the underlying code or database, but perhaps we could compile the notifications and send them out in timed intervals? For example, instead of receiving 10 emails from 10 different games each notifying me that there's a new post, I could receive 1 email saying there were 10 new posts. These notifications could be sent out every hour, or every two hours, whatever frequency is deemed appropriate. We could group these messages by time (10 posts across all games within the past hour) or by game itself (10 posts from subscribed game).

If grouped by time, the subject line could use the format "Number new posts from your subscribed games" to add some variation. Grouping by game might use the subject "Number new posts from Game System Game Name."

Personally, I prefer grouping messages by total posts across all subscribed games. That way, if they're only sent every hour, that's at most 24 emails delivered to my inbox.
Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm
Yah, I can rewrite it to bulk messages. I also noticed I'm sending out one email per notification; instead, I should assemble a list of all users who'd get the notification and send that (not sure if Gmail would be more ok with 100 identical emails to individual people, or one email to 100 bcc people).
Dec 31, 2018 7:32 pm
Sounds like a listserv.
Dec 31, 2018 10:53 pm
Well I was using gmail and I was getting the GP emails very sporadically (some were hitting my inbox, some were in spam, and some just never arrived anywhere) and in most cases they were hours/days after the post that triggered them. I swapped to using a Yahoo mailbox and now I’m getting every e-mail I should and they’re coming through within 10 minutes typically
Jan 1, 2019 5:07 pm
https://www.rackaid.com/blog/gmail-blacklist-removal/
Jan 8, 2019 5:34 pm
I just dug through my Spam folder and found the most recent email from 12/15.
I clicked it as Not Spam now but I don't know if that will fix the issue and know that I know this is an issue, might explain why so many of my games are so quiet.
Jan 11, 2019 11:43 pm
It didn't fix it for me, I haven't received emails since then either. I get phone updates from my gmail and don't really want to change it, so hope it gets fixed soon.
Jan 12, 2019 3:23 am
Mine have not been coming through either. I tried unsubscribing from all, then subscribing to only the couple of threads I needed and still not anything.

I'd love to see a fix for this include a daily summary of all threads, or at least the name of the thread with notice of a new post and the number of posts.
Jan 12, 2019 4:41 am
Best solution to see your stuff if you aren't getting emails is to click LATEST POSTS at the bottom of the home screen. It's customized for you and shows read/unread.
Last edited January 12, 2019 4:41 am
Jan 12, 2019 4:48 pm
Still working on it, sorry :/
Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm
I don't know what happened but I seem to have started getting them more frequently. It went from very rarely showing up in spam days late but today I woke up to my set label stock full with new recent posts.
Jan 12, 2019 10:52 pm
Same here. I’m getting notifications again. 😁
Jan 13, 2019 12:09 am
I started to get notifications again also :)
Jan 13, 2019 12:28 am
I found a few in gmail spam. No where near actual volume, but non-zero
Jan 13, 2019 12:54 am
Ok, sounds like marking them as not spam is helping? And I'll keep working on more reliable emails, though I haven't found one that's cost effective yet.
Jan 13, 2019 1:16 am
I think the recent elections in the US and Canada have shown that if you can flag them as coming from Russia, nobody at the tech companies treats them as a security threat
Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm
The emails started coming back through today!
Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm
Frankly, I really appreciate all of the communication from this site. Really, you are class acts and take care of us. This is why this is a community, and not "just another site."

Thank you :)
Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm
Keleth says:
Ok, sounds like marking them as not spam is helping? And I'll keep working on more reliable emails, though I haven't found one that's cost effective yet.
I did that and only one time before they started coming back through
Jan 25, 2019 10:23 am
I added the gamersplane email address to my contacts list and immediately started getting notifications again.
Jan 25, 2019 2:21 pm
Does this work for folks hoping to verify an account, too? Thanks
Jan 28, 2019 4:40 pm
There's no dkim record showing for the domain, and the email provider you use isn't listed as safe for bulk email, so it's highly likely that the problem will happen again.

Possible solutions or partial solutions include creating adkim record or limiting the amount of emails sent out by doing hourly or daily pushes.
Last edited January 28, 2019 4:41 pm
Jan 28, 2019 5:30 pm
Hm... I add a dkim years ago, but maybe I created it incorrectly?

I need to figure out how to setup a dkim with my current server, if even possible. I may have to go for another service, which... would get expensive.

Ok, more correct research shows I do have a domain key, but for some reason, DigitalOcean only lets me label it 'gamersplane.com._domainkey.gamersplane.com'. I think it's supposed to be 'gamersplane.com._domainkey'?

Hopefully last follow up: I'm an idiot. I added the DKIM tags to the DNS and assumed that was all I had to do. Looks like I need to also attach it to the messages themselves, since the server uses it's own local SMTP, not my mail server (I'm currently unsure how to get the server to use my mail server). I guess more info = good?
Jan 28, 2019 8:10 pm
THESE PAGES show you how to redirect from DigitalOcean to another provider.
Last edited January 28, 2019 8:11 pm
Jan 28, 2019 9:13 pm
Sorry if I was unclear. Records are setup; everything points from DigitalOcean correctly. The app server sends emails from it's own default SMTP, and thus never gets the KDIM tags. I feel certain emails I send (eg, through Thunderbird, not the app server) have the dkim attached, thus why they have a much lower failure rate.
Jan 28, 2019 10:14 pm
Ah. What setup are you using for email in general? (If it would not be a good idea to put that here, shoot me a PM?)
Feb 14, 2019 10:24 pm
I don’t get any emails and I use BT yahoo
Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm
Falconloft says:
Ah. What setup are you using for email in general? (If it would not be a good idea to put that here, shoot me a PM?)
Sorry, missed this message. Currently, I use the built in mail service on the server. I never configured it. It's not something I have any experience with :/
Feb 18, 2019 10:00 pm
+1 for this! Often, small public libraries will get their domains blacklisted by email servers because they use consumer ISP email accounts and send out auto-generated overdue notices in bulk that seem suspicious. Have you checked to see if the domain has been blacklisted?
May 4, 2019 11:31 pm
I have dealt several times with the problem, that emails are mistakenly identified as spam.

At first you should send an e-mail to the email address which you can see when you visit following page: https://www.mail-tester.com
Just create a account at gamersplane with the email address.
Mail-Tester will present you very good recomendations.

If you reach a score of 10/10 points and the mails are still identified as spam i would recommend to use sendgrid. Those Mailservers can be whitelisted. I have used this service in large E-Commerce projects with great results.

I hope this helps.
Aug 30, 2019 10:12 am
This one doesn't even have a cover story to make it subtle.

Spam accounts, step up your game
Aug 30, 2019 12:59 pm
bowlofspinach says:
This one doesn't even have a cover story to make it subtle.

Spam accounts, step up your game
Boo! I agree! At least make an attempt to deceive us, spam. You can do better!
Jan 23, 2020 4:07 pm
Did we ever get this Gmail notification/trash issue sussed out?

Asking for a friend....

I'm the friend.
I'm back.
I think I'm back.

I'm trying to be back.
Jan 24, 2020 4:59 pm
It seems to come and go Matt. I'm looking into how much various mail services will cost GP, and may go with that method. Otherwise, it'll just be keep trying to work on it.
Jan 24, 2020 5:00 pm
I've noticed that my game invites do eventually show up in my Gmail inbox, they're just really delayed.
Jan 24, 2020 6:35 pm
I use a Yahoo mail address and I get them pretty much instantly
Jan 28, 2020 12:04 am
Note mass email addresses will get you flagged faster as spam than individual emails and yes too many emails to the same email address can get you flagged as spam -- then its a hassle to get that flagged state to not be flagged -- or enough flagged states can get you completely blocked which is even harder to get undone

Digests are generally the best route to take and not sending more than one or two emails per day to any single individual is best as well. Yeah it kind of depends on gmails criterion but most of the email handlers use pretty much the same criterion best thing to do is contact gmail support to find out what you can do since you are not spamming but sending emails at users requests -- which btw you might need to outline a bit better when they are setting things up -- I think there is a way to send a "test" message and have the user do something that keeps any subsequent emails from getting flagged as spam

Been I while since I worked with this kind of auto-emailing but that was pretty much the case a while back and I doubt it has changed much
Last edited January 28, 2020 12:05 am
Jan 28, 2020 2:30 am
I think a daily digest of a user's all notifications in one email may help this, and I'd also prefer that instead of so many emails.
Jan 28, 2020 2:34 am
If GP isn't sending mass emailings, so that isn't the issue here. I think it's really just a Gmail problem, not a problem with how GP handles emailing.
Jan 28, 2020 4:22 pm
Again having worked with that -- I know some of what gets emails flagged as spam which I tried to outline -- the problem is if you get flagged as a spammer it is rather difficult (or at least it used to be) to get that changed and always required contacting the email handler
Jan 28, 2020 4:29 pm
Yes, but if you've been flagged as a spammer, you are banned from servers. The problem isn't that emails aren't getting delivered at all, but that they are mostly either getting delayed or routed to spam.
Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm
Yeah I think now a days they have thresholds of some sort -- but I could be wrong on that one -- I know it used to be mostly black or white with a little bit of a gray zone -- it all depended on what got you flagged as there were different elements to it -- I think it had to do with potential spam versus sufficiently verified spam
Jan 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Moonbeam says:
I've noticed that my game invites do eventually show up in my Gmail inbox, they're just really delayed.
Mine too, all delayed about 6 hours or so.
Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm
Delays are normally not anything to be concerned about as that could simply be processing issues and/or routing issues

Heck more recently I have gotten Text chat message on my phone like 24 hours later or more
Last edited January 28, 2020 5:11 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.