Mortal Kombat RPG

Jan 18, 2019 10:47 am
So, a little back story. I may just possibly be the biggest Mortal Kombat fan out there.

I'm not necessarily very used to most RPGs. Most of my knowledge is more so reading than playing. So in other words, I have a lot of RPG books that I've bought and read over and over, but just recently started playing since I never really had people to play games with.

However, back to the topic at hand now, I've been working on a very in depth Mortal Kombat RPG for awhile now, and a lot of my free time goes into making this happen.

"Kritical Kombat RPG" is the name of the project.

I was going to keep it a secret until I was actually more polished up with the idea, but with the MK 11 reveal that happened earlier, I could not be more hyped for anything Mortal Kombat.

Here's where the RPG information starts.

Main focuses:
[ +- ] Both Story and Fighting Focuses
[ +- ] Customization
[ +- ] Easy to Use
Plans to include:
[ +- ] Finishers
[ +- ] Combat System
[ +- ] Factions/Alliances
[ +- ] Species (Races)
[ +- ] Kombatants
[ +- ] Expansions
So, after all of that, if you managed to read it all, I applaud you for taking the time, and I thank you. Feel free to give thoughts and such on the project. I know most details are kind of held back, but as far as the ideas, there is quite a bit involved. I'd always be up for some thoughts, ideas, help, criticism, or anything for that matter.
Last edited January 18, 2019 10:51 am
Jan 25, 2019 7:39 pm
It's a lot easier to mod an existing system that build one from scratch. You can almost always find a good starting point and then add on your own systems or change things from there.

For this, I would recommend three systems.

1) Cypher. Cypher has the advantage of already having a lot of different modular options to stick together to make a very wide variety of character concepts.

2) 13th Age. 13A is all about cinematic action, and the system is easy to learn. It's also based on and written by authors of two editions of the most popular rpg out there, D&D.

3) Feng Shui (or Feng Shui 2). I haven't played this, but reading the descriptions of the action, it IS Mortal Kombat.
Last edited January 25, 2019 7:40 pm
Jan 25, 2019 7:49 pm
Sounds really ambitious. I'd be curious to see more of what you have
Jan 26, 2019 4:48 am
Falconloft says:

3) Feng Shui (or Feng Shui 2). I haven't played this, but reading the descriptions of the action, it IS Mortal Kombat.
I've played a lot of Feng Shui, going back to the mid-90s. It really is Mortal Kombat epic. The tag line is Hong Kong Action Movie Roleplaying. It's fast, versatile, and over the top without being a superhero game. Sorcerers, androids, James Bond-types, ghosts, martial artists, all have a place in the wonder that is Feng Shui.
Jan 27, 2019 5:51 am
Feng Shui, I did in fact read about, however, and I'm not sure how accurate it is so correct me if I'm wrong, I also read that is was pretty much just fighting based, leaving the Cinematic aspect out of it, or lackluster would be a better term.

On top of it, I also read it was extremely unbalanced when it came to some of the fighting.

I'll definitely look at Cypher and 13th Age though. I've never heard of Cypher, and I know very little about 13th Age.

However,ill probably still do this on my free time since I'm so far into it. I've been working on it for months, and there's really no point in stopping now, hahahaha.
Last edited January 27, 2019 5:52 am
Jan 27, 2019 2:03 pm
MBLMetapod says:
I also read that is was pretty much just fighting based, leaving the Cinematic aspect out of it, or lackluster would be a better term.

On top of it, I also read it was extremely unbalanced when it came to some of the fighting.

Leaving the cinematic out? This would be the exact opposite of my experience.

As to game balance, if you need that, then you should probably stick with something you're used to.
Feb 3, 2019 5:55 pm
Qralloq says:
MBLMetapod says:
I also read that is was pretty much just fighting based, leaving the Cinematic aspect out of it, or lackluster would be a better term.

Leaving the cinematic out? This would be the exact opposite of my experience.

As to game balance, if you need that, then you should probably stick with something you're used to.
That's interesting. I'll probably look more into Feng shui as well then. Most of what I read was just people's experience from random forums, but this place and the people are probably a lot more helpful and experienced if I'm being honest.

As for game balancing, I know it's not the same in a way, but I've actually dabbled with creating video games somewhat, so the game balancing is possibly one of the easier aspects for myself, or at least one of the things I'm more experienced with I should say, because it's still not easy, lol (which is another reason I'm trying to do this, because it's something new for me to try, but still get some sort of practice in while I have no computer since it crashed.
Feb 3, 2019 6:16 pm
If you want to run through Feng Shui 2, I could set up a short game using the free archetypes available on their website.
Feb 4, 2019 2:57 am
I may take you up on that offer at some point in the future if you're still interested by then, but as of right now I'm pretty busy with a lot of stuff, haha.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.