Fiasco

Sep 28, 2015 7:24 am
Have you played Fiasco?

If you have, do you think we could make a game of Fiasco work on Gamer's Plane?

If you haven't, Fiasco is a collaborative story-telling RPG in which players work together to define their characters, their characters' motivations, and their characters' relationships. The premise is, generally, something out of a Coen Brothers movie: people out of their depth trying to execute schemes that go horribly awry. Dice are rolled once, at the beginning of the game, forming a pool that players will spend to determine outcomes. After characters are created, the players take turns going around the table. On a player's turn, the player will choose either a) what the scene is about, or b) whether the scene will end well for his/her character, while the rest of the table determines the other choice for the player. In a scene, two players improv a scene of their characters together. The active player determines the details of the scene, or determines how the scene is resolved, but not both. The players take turns until each player has had two turns, then they all collaborate on what event happens that changes the flow of the story (the "Tilt") - which is usually the prompt for when things begin to go horribly wrong for the characters. Then each player take two turns as they did before the Tilt, and when the last player has taken the fourth turn of the game, the game ends with an "Aftermath" which is when all the dice assigned to a character in the game dictate whether things ended well for that character or not.

Optimistically, I think Fiasco could actually work here. I've seen many examples of stellar role-playing here on GP, but you'd need to have a group of such people. Also, the pace would be very, very different than playing the game live, which seems to me to be the biggest hurdle.
Sep 28, 2015 2:53 pm
I'd be up to trying it, I figure the rough part is rolling the white and black dice (you just do it separately I figure and list things though). What setting were you looking at trying?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.