I finally broke down and bought D&D 5th edition

Jan 20, 2019 6:15 pm
Ok I have played D&D since the 1st edition boxed set. I have played every edition since then with my favorite being 2nd edition AD&D followed by he original basic and Expert sets.

Having played over 40 or is it over 50 now different rpgs of the last 40 years.

Currently one system I really like is dragon Age/ Fantasy Age. The only problem is that especially with Fantasy Age there is nothing out there for it. though I like creating my own stuff, there is a thing called life that does not always give me that time. So without a lot of support (even if just to steal things for my own use) having the time to create all my own material is not there.

back to D&D.

I like the simplicity of of OD&D where it is simple for a DM to not only play on the fly but make stuff up as I go along. I could even do that well with 2nd Edition. Third edition was fun for a player but since I usually Was the DM, the time to make all the villains and keep track of all the feats made me stick to premade stuff for the most part.Even with the streamlined rules keeping track of AoO and what thing buffed what made combat seems to slow. So I liked the concept but not the actual play-ability at times.

Then came 4th edition. I liked what they did especially how in dungeons it was not just room by room but section of area that had things happen when the PC interacted with it. Even though I use minis and maps I felt it was too board gamey for me and those I played with didn't like it.

So when 5th edition came out I didn't even look at it. I heard some thing about it but I was running other games with other systems. Then I moved and lost my players. I have not had a game group except one small one that gets together infrequently to play Sta Wars by FFG. So I was left back to start to form a new game group but the exception of Pathfinder the only game in town is D&D.

So i finally bit the bullet and ordered the boxed set with the core books and screen. Though I think what sold me is getting the redone for 5th edition, Keep on the borderlands which was an adventure I had run through so many times with different groups growing up I could tun the adventure with just the maps as I could tell you what was in each room by looking at it. So thank to Amazon by Tuesday it should all arrive at my house.
Jan 20, 2019 11:46 pm
Yeah, I bought it too last year when I found a really sweet discount for the 3 core rulebooks on Amazon.

One of the things I hear a lot about 5th edition is that it's everyone's 2nd favorite edition. It's good, but chances are it will not make you forget all about AD&D. Though, you will find that they went back to the simplicity of OSR, but with a modern twist.
Jan 21, 2019 2:40 am
I’ll wait for another sweet deal
Jan 21, 2019 4:12 am
I bought the PHB when it came out, and realized that I wasn't very interested in playing it, but that it would be easy mode for running things. I haven't been very interested in buying the other books; as time had gone on, virtually all of the material I would need (such as Monster stat blocks) is online now.
Jan 21, 2019 5:25 pm
Hurray 5th ed. I like 5th but i have some player ideas that i've been wanting to try in 4th but noone every plays it anymore XD
Jan 21, 2019 5:45 pm
I love 5e, it’s hands down my favourite edition and I’ve been playing and running D&D since AD&D 1st edition.

Len

Jan 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Welcome to 5e! I hope to game with you sometime :) Feel free to drop questions any time. I think the hardest thing about 5e is not getting mixed up with rules from older editions! I think this is a nice article with some good advice for starting out with 5e for a veteran of other D&D editions: http://slyflourish.com/running_dnd_5e_from_1_to_20.html
Jan 21, 2019 5:57 pm
As far as official DnD is concerned, 5e is my favorite. It's easy to learn and really easy to run. If we're going by DnD offshoots, Pathfinder is my game, as I like a little bit of crunch in my games :)
Feb 11, 2019 10:54 am
I love 5e! But a little biased as it’s the only version I’ve played.
Apr 14, 2019 2:29 pm
Yanno...I have played a bit of 5th and it really isn't a bad game. Not at all. It's a pretty nice evolution of Dungeons & Dragons, not only as a game but as an experience.

That said, I'm not compelled to buy in. I'm just not; I'm happy with the D&D/FRPG experience that I can get with OD&D, or the Rules Cyclopedia, or AD&D 2nd Ed., or Castles & Crusades, or even 13th Age (which to my mind is different enough to feel like something not-quite-D&D, but I digress).

As a big ol' friendly nerd who's been at this since the end of the Reagan administration, I'm quite happy about 5e. It pleases new and old players, it's got some strong cultural cache, and it's becoming a lot of people's first D&D game, too. That means it works.

I realize that nobody needed to know my opinion, but on the off chance that it spurs conversation or doesn't set something on fire, there it is.
Jun 11, 2019 10:59 am
I can't really play D&D any more. I just find this universe really boring.
It's all about travelling, meeting Goblins, check Initiative, fight, get reward, and start again.

I'm not in this sort of thing any more. Now, I'm way more into investigations games. I've DM one Trail of Cthulhu the other day that I wrote. I spent ages prepping some props to have my players actually manipulating stuff (a diary, letters, frames with pictures in it that they had to steal, etc...) Was lot of fun.
Jun 11, 2019 8:57 pm
I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't mind fantasy, really, but I get it in other games. 13th Age is as close to D&D as I come. Aside from that, AGE is good, Cypher seems fun so far, even M&M does fantasy pretty good.
Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm
I have to say i like AGE myself and wish there was more out for it. You can run things other than hack and slash with D&D though. I have to say what I have played of 5th edition has been good. It definitely has options but not so rules heavy that 3rd edition got to.

Now, I admit for PBP I am using rulel ight games for those I run but I could run the ones I am doing as TT with 5th edition without too much effort and my games right now tend not to be combat but roleplaying focused.
Jun 12, 2019 1:07 am
I love AGE, too. I'm running my second game of it here, and also playing in The Expanse. Personally, though, I don't mind crunch in PBP, as long as there isn't a bunch of back and forth player-to-GM to resolve an action.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.