Session Zero / House Rules

Jan 26, 2019 5:12 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Laying down some groundwork. I've borrowed heavily from some GM's on the site whose style I really admire. I may add stuff as it comes up. Questions or discussion about the items below are welcome but please post them to the OOC thread. I will reserve this space for whatever consensus/agreement is reached.
NEWBIE DM
I have played RPGs for 30 years, but I didn't GM my first game until 3 years ago. Currently, I am running this, and one other 5E game. That's a grand total of not quite 3 games under my belt. So please bear with me.
THE 'X' CARD
Sometimes roleplaying can take us into dark places or uncomfortable topics. And of course, everyone has different topics that make them feel uncomfortable.

If you know certain topics distress you or make you uncomfortable, please let me know so I can avoid them. If, during the course of the adventure, something unexpectedly bothers you, you can tell me and we'll stop that scene, no questions asked.
TONE
In case it isn't obvious yet, this game is intended to be pretty casual and light-hearted. Downright ridiculous, even. Otherwise, Phillip would have already been marooned at best, keel-hauled at worst.

I have absolutely no real-world knowledge of sailing. All I "know" is what I've picked up from books and media. I'll do my best, but inaccuracies will abound.
GAME BALANCE
For the most part, I will NOT be computing encounter CR to balance with party strength. You will sometimes be up against unbeatable encounters. I will do my best to ensure such encounters aren't inescapable.
MILESTONE, NOT XP
Self explanatory.
CHARACTER DEATH
Yes, you can die. If it happens, we'll roll up a new character of the same level, and try to bring them into the game as soon as possible.
I MIGHT ROLL YOUR DICE AND YOU CAN ROLL MINE
In some situations, I might roll on your behalf. For example, if an NPC casts a spell that forces a saving throw, I might just roll it for you so that the result is known immediately. Some players find this sacrilegious, but my experience in PbP so far is that people mostly don't care and appreciate the faster gameplay. If this bothers you, let me know.

Also, please feel free to roll NPC saving throws when something you do causes it. For example, if you cast Vicious Mockery, perform a shove action, or do an intimidation check, you can roll a d20 for the NPC. You may not know the correct modifier, but it helps me out if you've already rolled.
INITIATIVE
As you've seen on Discord, we're doing block initiative.
ABSENCES
The specified posting frequency is 1 post per day, and I would really like this to move forward at a steady clip. I'm on every day except when things become really busy at work, in which case I will tell you in advance if at all possible.

If you are going to be away for a day or longer, please let us know if you can. I do understand that life gets busy sometimes. During prolonged absences I may run your character in combat, or if you prefer you can designate another player to run your character. I will refrain from using your resources and stick to attack actions and cantrips.
HOUSE RULES

Inspiration:
1. You can decide to use inspiration AFTER you roll badly, but BEFORE I post the result.
2. Players can award each other inspiration to show appreciation for great roleplay.
3. One inspiration point at a time (no stacking).
4. Inspiration expires on a long rest, and when you level up.

Quarterstaves: Count as Monk weapons.

Shield Master: You can shield bash before you attack.

Unearthed Arcana: Yeah, it's legit.

Breaking up your combat turn: Say you've taken your turn, declared an action but no movement or bonus action. Until I declare a new round, you are allowed to post a bonus action or movement if these are available. We'll see how this goes. If I see it being abused I may nix it.

Encumbrance: I normally wouldn't bother with encumbrance. But because this is a sea-faring adventure, I want the ocean to matter. The moment you get in the water, how heavy a load you are carrying matters. You know I'm pretty loosey-goosey with the rules, but we will do this particular aspect by the book (PHB, page 176). So on your sheets, please make separate lists for normal loadout, and swimming loadout (and I will trust you will ensure your swimming loadout keeps you well within the unencumbered range).

We will only apply encumbrance penalties while in the water. You needn't worry about it on land.

Starting Wealth: Roll for Level 8 starting wealth, (which according to DMg page 38 is normal starting equipment plus 500gp plus 1d10×25gp) and buy all the mundane gear you want. The Sending Stone and the Bag of Holding are Valrakas' property, and so do not count against your personal funds. I reverse my ruling on Potions of Healing: you can buy them with your funds. Nela gets 1 free potion of healing, as well as 1 free antitoxin.

Climb Onto Bigger Creature: You can climb onto larger creatures as per page 271 of the DMG.

Disarm: As per DMG page 271. An Incapacitated, Stunned, or Paralyzed defender automatically fails the Athletics or Acrobatics check to resist being disarmed.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368611537012916238/638977428407975936/20191030_134746.jpg
Feb 10, 2019 10:25 am
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRXAtqwZ6Uog4irs5F-IdckV5eaJ6P7HqpuAqMZ2YiQHUtqS002
Simple Melee Weapons

Bayonet 5 gp; 1d6 piercing; 1 lb.; Special
Hook 5 gp; 1d4 slashing; 1 lb.; Light, Special
Belaying pin 2 sp; 1d4 bludgeoning; 2 lb.; Light
Boarding axe 2 gp; 1d6 slashing; 2 lb.; Light, thrown (range 20/60)
Dirk 10 gp; 1d4 piercing; 1 lb.; Finesse, light
Martial Melee Weapons

Cutlass 15 gp; 1d6 slashing; 3 lb.; Finesse, light
Rapier 25 gp; 1d8 piercing; 2 lb.; Finesse
Scimitar 25 gp; 1d6 slashing; 3 lb.; Finesse, light
Martial Ranged Weapons

Flintlock Pistol 125 gp; 1d8 piercing; 4 lb.; Ammunition (range 30/90); loading
Dragon Pistol 250 gp; 1d6 piercing; 3 lb.; Ammunition (range 20/60), loading, special
Blunderbuss 500 gp; 1d8 piercing; 8 lb.; Ammunition (range 20/60), loading, two-handed, special
Flintlock Musket 250 gp; 1d10 piercing; 8 lb.; Ammunition (range 40/120), loading, two-handed

Harpoon (melee or ranged weapon) 1gp, 3lbs, special, thrown (loading, range 20/60), 1d6+STR piercing damage, versatile (1d8)

The harpoon has a chain attached to its handle. Using a bonus action, you can use the chain to retrieve the weapon after it's been thrown.

If the target is a large or smaller creature, it must win a Strength contest against the attacker or be pulled up to 20 feet toward the attacker.

Heavy Harpoon (melee or ranged weapon) 5gp, 10lbs, special, thrown (range 20/60), 2d6+STR piercing damage, versatile in melee (2d8)

Designed to be launched from a ballista-like launcher or wielded by a large creature. If the target is a huge or smaller creature, it must succeed on a Strength contest against or be pulled up to 20 feet toward the attacker.
Ammunition

Lead Balls (40) 5 gp; 1 lb.; Special
Pellets (40 handfuls) 40 gp; 1 lb.; Special
Gunpowder (40) 10 gp; 2 lb.
Special

Bayonet: To attach or remove a bayonet from from a musket is a Use an Object action. Because bayonets are designed for use while attached to a musket. It counts as an improvised weapon that does 1d4 piercing damage (when used by itself).

Blunderbuss: This weapon can be fired normally or loaded to make a scattering shot, attacking all creatures within a 15 foot cone. Each creature in the cone must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 piercing damage. Using a scatter shot requires pellet ammunition.

Dragon Pistol: This weapon can be fired normally or loaded to make a scattering shot, attacking all creatures within a 15 foot cone. Each creature in the cone must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take 1d4 piercing damage. Using a scatter shot requires pellet ammunition.

Hook: To attach or remove a hook from the wrist is a Use an Object action.

Lead Balls: This ammunition is destroyed when used. You do not get to find half of your expended ammunition.

Pellets: This ammunition is destroyed when used. You do not get to find half of your expended ammunition.
Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f1/06/b1/f106b1327116c223e2404a3ff3a6ef04.jpg
Our version of the net poses a bit more of a threat than the one in the PHB. I've used strikeouts and colored text to show you what I've changed:

NET (martial ranged weapon) 1 gp. 3 lb. Special, thrown (range 5/15).

A large or smaller creature hit by a net is Restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength Dexterity check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 10 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net. A net can be repaired during a long rest if you have a little extra rope. If it is cut through 3 times, then it will be used at Disadvantage. If it is cut through 5 times, it is destroyed beyond a reasonable amount worthy of repair. When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to attack with a net, you can make only one attack regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make. You can only make one net attack per round. Being within 5 feet of your target doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls using a net.
Mar 27, 2019 3:42 am
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTKR5xC06Kg0-4gfh_zkLpPkSzEeLzHWm0pyCHlVrgXdvmSYXqk
Wooden Barrel (40 gallons, 2gp)
Wooden Keg (10 gallons, 5sp)
Wooden Mini Keg (5 gallons, 3sp)
Wooden Cask (2 gallons, 1sp)
Oct 6, 2019 6:14 pm
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/emerald-isles/images/9/9c/Aquatic_Combat.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180209144755
AQUATIC COMBAT
Mostly standard (PHB) rules, plus some house rules. Just a handy reference all in one place. Let me know if I've missed anything.

Swimming
While swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain), unless a creature has a swimming speed. Gaining any distance in rough water or other conditions might require a successful Athletics check.

Breathing
You can hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to 1+CON modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).

When you run out of breath, you can survive for a number of rounds equal to your CON modifier (minimum of 1 round). At the start of your next turn, you drop to 0 hit points and are dying, and can't regain hit points or be stabilized until you can breathe again.

Melee weapons
When making a melee weapon attack, a creature that doesn't have a swimming speed (either natural or granted by magic) has disadvantage on the attack roll unless the weapon is a harpoon, dirk, hook, dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident.

Ranged weapons
A ranged weapon attack automatically misses a target beyond the weapon's normal range. Even against a target within normal range, the attack roll has disadvantage unless the weapon is a crossbow, a net, or a weapon that is thrown like a javelin (including a harpoon, a spear, trident, or dart).

You can attack from the surface with disadvantage.

Firearms
Firearms do not work underwater, period. After immersion, a firearm must be cleaned and dried over a long rest before it can be used again. Once wet, gunpowder is permanently ruined.

Fire damage
Creatures and objects that are fully immersed in water have resistance to fire damage.

Spellcasting with Verbal Components
You can cast a single verbal component spell underwater, but after the spell is cast, you are considered to have run out of breath (see Breathing, above). Unless you can breathe underwater.

Water Walk
There's a lot of debate online whether a creature under the effects of a Water Walk spell can 1) WILLINGLY dive underwater, and 2) be UNWILLINGLY dragged under. For this game I'm going to say YES to both, and until the spell ends, that creature can (as part of their Movement) choose to rise to the surface at the rate at 60ft per round.
Oct 21, 2019 5:01 pm
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQpBA0XuREhh5Tjq-NIAHq3wgcvtBkkK0VytjIlVRoQfgSP1Ods
NAVAL COMBAT
Much of this material is adapted from Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Appendix A: Of Ships & Sea. I took only the most basic parts, and only made a few modifications for simplicity.
[ +- ] Ship Stat Blocks
[ +- ] Officers and Crew
[ +- ] Ships in Combat
[ +- ] The Kestrel

Thread locked