Train Busters game thread

Sep 29, 2015 11:36 pm
The East is already far behind you; you're in Omaha, boarding the train headed west across the wilderness to the Golden State of California. What will you find there? How will the journey be?

You don't have to wait long to find out, as the conductor yells out "All aboard!!" You make your way to a passenger car with wide leather benches for seating. The train car is full, but you manage to find a place for yourself squeezed between two other passengers. There is a blast of steam, a lurch, a series of crashing noises, and finally a squeak of distressed metal, the train lumbers into motion down the track.

You're finally on your way!
Oct 1, 2015 7:38 pm
Clutching his valise filled with the tools and chemicals of his trade, Saul finds himself in between a prospector and a typewriter salesman. Naturally gregarious, he strikes up polite conversation with both men, but his mind is far away. Those outlaws crossed the wrong man. Steal my wagon...my livelihood...at gunpoint! Why, it’s enough to drive a man to extremes! I’ll show them. The long arm of the law hasn’t got to them but Saul Balsam knows a trick or two, yessir! I know at least one of those vermin is on this train. I'll make them pay if it's the last thing I do!
Last edited October 1, 2015 8:08 pm
Oct 2, 2015 4:22 pm
To my left, a young woman looking out the window, probably bored out of her mind. There's nothing but sand, rock and cacti to see. To my right, a small boy with a wooden train, spitting, sputtering and making the best of the situation. As the train gets rolling I look around. No one I recognize in this car, which is good because I'm likely to be recognized at some point, but it's best if the heist is already under way when that happens. Satisfied, I stand up.

Bubblegum - 8

Rolls

Mundane - Standing Up - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 2, 2015 5:23 pm
Frank is looking around for any signs of dust He can be heard muttering to himself as he moves from table to table, accidentally interrupting meals with his poking about, "I know that blasted dust must be here somewhere. they sure are sneaky!"
Last edited October 2, 2015 6:39 pm
Oct 3, 2015 10:43 am
Bonnie, Frank, Saul, Tombstone, Persimmon and Chhun all still have 8 gum.

Saul now knows more than he ever wanted to about the new Remington typewriter, while the prospector has been going on and on about Maggie May, a woman he's going to marry once he strikes it rich in California. Saul realizes that it's about lunch time and not only is he hungry, but wealthier potential suckers - uh, clientele - would be in the dining car. He begins to make his way forward and notices two striking women: a confident one with a fierce expression striding purposefully down the aisle (Bonny), and a voluptuous one looking at Saul with a saucy expression (Persimmon, the NPC).

(OOC: Candi, if I had thought about it beforehand, I would have created an experience system whereby characters get XP for successful mundane rolls. But I didn't before we started, so maybe next time.)
Bonny sees Saul and, behind him, a slightly queasy-looking Chinaman (Chhun, the other NPC) swaying as he attempts to navigate the aisle. No one here looks particularly prosperous, other than the tarted-up fern girl with the pearls at her neck (Persimmon, again). Bonny might notice something else; try a mundane roll, too.

Frank has made his way through car after car, looking for dust, and he's now ended up in the dining car. A trolley with supplies on it needs to trundle past; Frank is forced to sit at a table to make way. The person at the table looks strangely familiar to him. Roll a mundane roll to see if Frank can put a name to the face.

Tombstone finishes re-reading his daddy's letter. Gold! Can it be true? Ezekiel is just happy at the prospect of seeing his daddy again. He was prepared to help with the Lincoln County business when the letter arrived; family won out over duty...this time. When Tombstone has finished folding up the letter, he looks up and may roll a mundane roll to see who he recognizes.
Oct 3, 2015 4:26 pm
Frank tilts his head to the side as he tries to remember this person's name and where he's seen this person before.

Rolls

Mundane, recognizing a face - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 3, 2015 5:19 pm
I stride confidently forward, hoping the grifter of a salesman I robbed the week before doesn't take notice, and scanning the others carefully for anything of note. I take heed of the woman with the pearls, while I have a bigger target, it's good to have options.

Rolls

Mundane - looking around - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Oct 4, 2015 4:14 am
"Do my eyes deceive me? Is that...?

Rolls

Mundane roll vs 8 to recognize - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 4, 2015 6:43 am
Frank (8 gum): Your eyes widen as you see through the cheap disguise that Thomas is wearing. You haven't seen him for ages, and you're surprised to see him this far from Menlo Park, New Jersey. Edison seems to be horrified to see you at first, but then relaxes as you do nothing but stare back at him in astonishment.
"Frank - oh, Frank - I thought you were one of them for a moment! What a relief to see a friendly face!"

Saul (8 gum) sees the confident woman lean over the saucy one to look searchingly out the window. Perhaps they're in cahoots? He notices the fat string of pearls around the saucy one's neck.

Bonny (8 gum), sauntering casually down the aisle with her long gun under her duster, glances outside and then peers more closely out the window past Persimmon. She sees a number of mounted men riding past in the direction of the locomotive, wildly waving rifles.
Despite their cavalry uniforms, Bonny recognizes how they ride bareback and identifies them as Injuns.

Ezekiel (8 gum) simultaneously recognizes two outlaws in this very car: Chop Sing, wanted fer the death of three white men back in Jackson, and William Bonney, wanted fer participatin' in all that murder bizness down in Lincoln County.
Oct 4, 2015 9:01 am
Frank leans in and whispers to Edison, "Tommy, my boy, you seem worried, have you landed yourself in some trouble again?"
Oct 5, 2015 3:38 pm
Thomas replies to Frank:
"No, no, no, it's nothing like what happened with the mole men. It's far more serious - they've taken my lab!"
Oct 5, 2015 3:43 pm
At about this time, everyone hears the unmistakable sound of gun fire further forward on the train.
Oct 5, 2015 8:51 pm
Dammit. I curse under my breath, this is MY train. I turn, popping a flat piece of something pink and powdery into my mouth and begin chewing. I try to push past those in the aisle, shoving my way towards the front of the car, and the front of the train. The aisle is too slow, I quickly become frustrated and make to leap up on the seat and vault my way to the end of the car.

This just got real! Let's lose some Bubblegum!
Last edited October 5, 2015 9:19 pm

Rolls

Kicking Ass (or, doing something non-mundane) - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Oct 5, 2015 9:14 pm
Frank's eyes open wide at the sound of gunfire and he gets down and grabs Thomas' arm to pull him under the table as well, "Did you upset the mole men again? and WHO took your lab?" he sits and thinks for a moment and gets a serene look on his face, "And have you seen any dust?"

Rolls

Mundane (Leading Thomas under the table) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 6, 2015 5:40 am
Saul puts his show face on when he spots Persimmon. "I had resigned myself to a long, dreary, utterly boring trip, but I do believe you have saved me from it, madam. Saul Balsam, at your service!" He bows and takes her be-ringed hand to kiss it but the sound of gunfire rings out. The oulaws! I must get to them! It occurs to Saul that he hasn't quite worked out exactly how he plans to exact his revenge on the bandits who wronged him. He helps Persimmon duck for cover in between the train seats. He sees the other, vaguely familiar woman rush for the exit. That's when recognition clicks: I remember now! The bandit leader was a woman! A scarf covered half her face but I could tell she was beautiful! This has got to be her and her band is taking the train right now! Saul turns to Persimmon, "Madam, stay here where it's safe. I'm going to see what trouble has befallen this train and what can be done to help." He takes his valise, cane, and hat, and rushes after Bonny.

Rolls

Mundanely rushing after Bonny - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 7, 2015 1:25 am
Persimmon bats her eyes at Saul and purrs her appreciation for his attention to him, while trying to pick his pocket as his attention is diverted, first by her decolletage and then by the sight of Bonny fleeing down the aisle. Unfortunately, she was not expecting that Saul would jump to his feet when the gunfire broke out, and her hand deep in his waistcoat yanks her off of her feet, and she falls headlong into the aisle. The force of Saul's leap and the weight of Ms. Flagella combined tear Saul's coat in half, spilling small vials of snake oil (extras in his coat pocket) that roll and clatter all over the floor of the train car.

Persimmon: 7 gum

Rolls

Mundane vs. 8 (pick pocket) - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 7, 2015 1:36 am
Chhun, seeing Tombstone's hostile recognition, leaps to his feet just as Bonny leaps atop the back of his chair. He manages to mostly dodge the crazy woman; she barely grazes him as she loses her balance and flies over his head to take down a crowd of people like a professional wrestler. Bottles of Saul's snake oil roll past the writhing, flailing bodies. As Bonny falls, she contacts someone's skin, and has a brief, absolutely horrible vision of mountains on fire, cackling bat-winged shadow beasts, chanting people in purple robes, and this very train descending into the vast gaping mouth of a hideous rapacious monster of unimaginable size. The vision is momentary, but so vivid that Bonny is convinced that someone in the eight or so people that fell with her is more evil than she ever imagined possible for a person to be. She finds herself on the floor of the train, tangled with some very irritated and scared passengers as the sound of gunfire continues.

Chhun: 8 gum
Bonny: 7 gum

Saul catches up to the crowd of tangled bodies, but can't reach Bonny right away.

Rolls

Attempting to stand (mundane vs 8) - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Oct 7, 2015 1:42 am
Ezekiel "Tombstone" sees Chhun - Chop Sing - recognize him and leap to his feet, and then catch Bonny the Bandit's foot as she soars past him. William Bonney - Billy the Kid - has leapt to his feet with his eyes on the forward door; he has not noticed the lawman behind him yet.

Meanwhile, in the dining car (next car forward in the train): Frank and Thomas are crouched under the table, where Frank is enthralled to find quite a bit of dust. There is quite a commotion in the train car as Edison explains: "You know that I am the real Thomas Alva Edison, but everyone else thinks that impostor is actually me. They tried to kill me, back in Atlantic City, but I slipped out of the manacles and swam to the mainland." He shows you the scabs on his wrists, dimly seen in the shadows under the table. "No one but you and I know that the real Thomas Alva Edison is still alive."

Luke has been busily collecting cash at another table in the dining car, cleaning up dealing games of faro. He's got a banker, a French chef, and a newspaperman eating out of his hand when the gunfire rings out. He notices that the banker reaches for his valise, the newspaperman reaches for his breast pocket, and the chef leaps up in consternation.

Clarence is busy smoking a cigar in the dining car, idly drawing architectural designs on some sheets of paper without really concentrating on it. This is a practice he's developed over the last few years, which he calls Automatic Depiction. He's come up with many of his more fanciful building designs while letting his Muse guide his hands while he enjoys a good smoke. Then he spends weeks or months deciphering what he's written, translating what his hands designed into something that can actually be constructed. His reverie is interrupted by the loud reports of gun shots ringing out, and the screams of alarm from other passengers in the dining car.

Someone pulls the brakes on the train, which lurches and begins to slow to a stop with a long screech.
Oct 7, 2015 11:55 am
"Hell's bells, a man can't even take a vacation without the scum of the earth stirring up a fuss all roundabout him! I reckon it's time these bastards receive a little justice for disturbing my peace."
Tombstone carefully places the letter back in his pocket and draws his massive handgun from it's holster as he stands and strides up directly behind Billy the Kid. He kicks out the back of his knee to drop him down on his knees, and places the gun against the back of his head.
"When you see St. Peter, tell 'im Tombstone sent ya."

Okay, if it's not too much escalation too early I'd like to surrender a bubblegum to automatically succeed this kick ass roll and blow Billy the Kid's brains out (presuming he isn't a player character). If that's not acceptable I'll do something else lol.
Last edited October 7, 2015 11:56 am
Oct 7, 2015 3:28 pm
The young man drops to his knees, completely flat-footed by the lawman. Billy the Kid snarls and brings his gun halfway around to fire in the time it takes Ezekiel to pull the trigger. Billy's fast...but not that fast. Billy's move is interrupted by a bullet, and his finger reflexively pulls his trigger wide of the mark. The sound of the two shots in the close confines of the railroad car is deafening. Sunlight streams through two new holes in the side of the train, making shining beams of light trailing through the cloud of gun smoke. As the smoke clears, everyone can see the ruin of the outlaw man's face, much of it spread across the seats and along the windows on the right side of the train.

If people were panicked before, the passengers in the train car now go berserk with terror. The noise is so loud that only Ezekiel hears the soft "Oh...oh, no...!" from another young man behind and across the aisle from him, as the young man eyes the hole in his coat where Billy's shot hit him. Then the young man slumps bonelessly to the floor of the aisle behind Ezekiel.

Ezekiel: 7 gum
Oct 7, 2015 3:35 pm
The notable, deafening, crack of gunfire suppresses all memory of the strange vision as my body fills with adrenaline. A strong survival instinct spurs me forward. I push myself to my feet and scramble through the tangle of people, bodies and limbs. My simple goal is the passageway into the next car.

Rolls

Not sure what it counts as - Scrambling forward - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Oct 7, 2015 3:55 pm
Frank crouches down even smaller as the sound of another gunshot cracks through the train. He looks momentarily worried, but only for a moment before the serenity comes back over him, he turns back to Thomas as he pulls out a bag and collects some dust in a small bag - for 'questioning'- and says, "Well Tommy boy, we'll get this all sorted out, it's simply not right for them to do this to such an upstanding citizen."

As the sound of screaming in the car continues he stands, pulls a megaphone out of his pocket and speaks to everyone through the megaphone, "Everybody, please quiet down! Can't you see that we're trying to speak in peace? Hmph," he crosses his arms over his chest and stands there tapping his foot, as if expecting everybody to heed his words.

OOC: Thinking that this will be kickass, trying to get everyone to listen when there are shots fired
Last edited October 7, 2015 8:03 pm

Rolls

Mundane/Kickass? trying to get everyone's attention and make them listen - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Oct 7, 2015 4:07 pm
More vials of snake oil clink to the floor as Saul sheds his ruined waistcoat. Somehow he manages to keep his hat on. Shots ring out inside the train car but he is focused on his quarry. Out of the corner of his eye he sees outside the window and registers the Injuns. Perhaps it's not Bonny's outlaws that are commandeering the train? No matter! Cane in one hand and valise in the other, Saul tries to leap over the tangled bodies in a bid to intercept Bonny.

Rolls

Leaping over the crowd to confront Bonny - Kickass vs. 8 gum - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 7, 2015 5:27 pm
*This is on its way to becoming more hot than Chicago...* Persimmon thinks to herself, and attempts to recall the chausson that she learned in Mareilles to leap to her feet.

She remembers it well, but she slips on one of Saul's snake oil bottles, and her feet fly out from under her. She does a spectacular backwards cartwheel, her skirts flying, and she lands with a thump, sitting on top of Ezekiel. The pearls from her broken necklace rain down and roll around the train car. The bottle, shattered, leaks snake oil in a huge puddle, which runs into the corpses and Persimmon's left hand. She recoils from the sticky green ooze with a gasp, and then realizes where she is and rolls off of Ezekiel.

"Oh, pardonnez moi!" she says, blushing demurely, as she attempts to gather her torn skirts about her.

*Now how do I ditch the lawman?* she thinks, unaware that her left hand is leaving sticky green hand-prints on her clothes.

Persimmon: 6 gum

Rolls

Kick-ass martial arts leaping to her feet (vs 7 gum) - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Oct 7, 2015 6:52 pm
Seeing that the lawman is momentarily distracted, Chhun stands upright and quickly performs staccato mystic hand gestures, calling on his mastery of the forbidden secrets of the orient to aid him in his extremity. Instead of changing into an animal that could easily escape, however, his torso elongates. Thick muscles ripple beneath his flesh as his silk robes tear, unable to contain the feline fury of a giant tiger, crouched atop the backs of two seats. With a roar that curdles blood and causes a stampede, the tiger leaps from chair back to chair back toward the end of this car, where it joins to the dining car.

Chhun: 7 gum

Rolls

Kick-ass roll to use magic (vs 8 gum) - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Oct 7, 2015 9:27 pm
"Well good Heavens! I didn't expect gunplay quite this early on the trip!" Clarence mumbles to himself as the car lurches forward, scattering his drawing across the table and nearly dislodging his cigar. Thankfully, Clarence was expecting some sort of trouble and has just the thing -- the Bullet Reversing Vest -- just over there in his luggage. "Time to get myself encased in a sheath of magnetic protection!" Eager to have an opportunity to try one of his inventions, he stands up to fetch the vest and put it on.

Rolls

Mundane roll to get the vest out and put it on. 8 bubblegum. - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Oct 7, 2015 11:18 pm
Saul leaps from his feet, doing a pirouette as he rises into the air and casually discards his superfluous waistcoat (which lands atop as astonished man's top hat). His toe makes the lightest connection with the top of the chair and launches him forward, flying through the air. While he's in mid-air in the passenger car, Frank stands up in the dining car, and memories of his recitations as a child return to him for a moment as he sings forth in a surprisingly beautiful baritone voice that everyone in his family had once thought had destined him for the opera: "Everyooooone, pleeeeease quiet dooooown! Can't you see that we're trying to speeeak in peeeeeeeeace?" The people panicking in the dining car would have found the voice enchanting on its own, but as it is, with the aid of the Magnificent Vocalizer he carries in his pocket, everyone on the entire train and for miles around hears his astounding voice, and all hubbub ceases, if just for a moment, from the engine being overrun with Cheyenne warriors through the cars full of hysterical passengers all the way back to the caboose where dealings better left unsaid are taking place under cover of drawn shutters...all pause and revel in the power and majesty of the Voice. It is as if an angel had descended to earth and lifted their earthly concerns away. The Voice reverberates as Saul drifts through the air, does a forward somersault like a swimmer reversing direction at the end of a lane, and hits the door between cars with both feet. The door smashes apart, effectively braking Saul's forward momentum, and he steps lightly down to the ground in front of Bonny, who had just succeeded in her mundane task of crawling out of the mass of tangled bodies. They face each other, and the tiger that was Chhun Hsien leaps through the broken doors behind them toward the dining car.

Frank: 8 gum
Bonny: 7 gum

The PCs are the first to recover from the shock of Frank's enchanting voice. Clarence whips out his vest and dons it. With a faint snap and crackle of electricity, it comes to life, and all the flatware on the tables is repelled from him, forks and knives flying across the cabin to lodge into the walls. Unable to open the dining car door, Giant Maneating Chhun Hsien Tiger yowls and scratches at the door to the dining car like an alleycat trying to wheedle a saucer of milk.

Clarence: 8 gum
Chhun: 6 gum

Rolls

Chhun smashes through door (kickass vs 7) - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Oct 8, 2015 7:16 am
"I don't have time for you." I say as I make to step around Saul, find him firmly blocking my path and do the next most rational thing: I fire a shot through the window, shattering the glass, climb out the window and make for the roof of the train.

Rolls

Kick Ass - Making my own Exit - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Oct 8, 2015 7:18 am
Finding himself in front of his goal, Saul realizes it's time for a sales pitch. "Madam, I can see in your eyes that you recognize me and you know why I've come after you. I have a score to settle. But I have a proposition: Behold the Cheyenne outside. I've no wish to be scalped and neither do you. What do you say we put aside our little quarrel for the time being and join forces, repel them redskins?"

Rolls

Sales pitch - mundane vs. 8 gum - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 8, 2015 2:39 pm
Clarence, quite enthralled by Frank puts a finger to his lips ("sssh") and says not a word, looking a little embarrassed at the noise the flatware is making due to his fancy vest. He's disappointed that the cat really is ruining this wonderful moment of silence. Perhaps someone should just go let it in and make the racket go away. Musing about how the experience could find its way into some of his architectural diagrams -- perhaps some form of amphitheater at the foyer of the castle, or speakers cleverly disguised as angels trumpets attached to statuary around the house -- Clarence mundanely walks towards the door to let in the loudmouthed cat.

Rolls

Mundane roll to walk the length of the car and open the door. 8 gum - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 8, 2015 7:48 pm
Ezekiel turns to the young man who Billy shot and sighs.
"I'm sorry, kid, that you got all mixed up in this. I'm gonna make those bastards pay, I swear it."
About that time, Persimmon lands on him and he sees Chop Sing turn into a tiger.
Well I'll be. Pardon me, sweet miss, but I do believe I got me a tiger to hunt. I'm gonna wear that pelt when I take him down, or my name ain't Ezekiel 'Tombstone' Johnson!"
He rises to his feet and begins making his way towards the front of the car, stepping over debris and people.

Rolls

Mundane roll vs 7 to navigate aisle - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 8, 2015 11:25 pm
Relieved that Ezekiel is not after her for larceny, Persimmon takes her hand away from her hideaway tucked in her boot, stands up and gives a small, polite curtsy to the ex-lawman, idly wiping at her hand, which has begun to itch.

Rolls

Mundane roll for genteel curtsy (vs 6 gum) - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Oct 8, 2015 11:27 pm
Clarence opens the door for Chhun, who bounds through and attempts to change back into a man in mid-leap. Instead, his muscles ripple, a wave moving through his body, replacing the thick fur with smooth grey hide.

Having leapt over Clarence, a dolphin lands in the aisle at Frank's feet.

This is particularly surprising, as it is most certain that no one of you has ever seen a dolphin before. Chhun makes some high-pitched squeaking noises in rage and frustration, revealing a long snout's worth of sharp tearing teeth. He flops his body, his flippers thudding on the carpet in the aisle as he scoots his cetacean body forward. In his wake, water seeps into the carpet in a puddle.

Rolls

Kick-ass shapechanging (vs 6 gum) - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Oct 9, 2015 12:15 am
Bonny hauls out her gun from under her duster, fires it at the glass and leaps after the shot, intending to catch the edge of the window frame and flip up onto the roof like a gymnast.

Unfortunately, the bullet goes cleanly through the glass, leaving a small, neat bullet hole, and Bonny's hurtling body rebounds off of the glass and back into the cabin with a loud "BONGGG!" noise. She is caught by a dapper-looking middle-aged gentleman, who smiles and says "Pardon me, miss, you seem to have dropped...er...yourself. A most fascinating action." Then he sets her back on her feet in the aisle (not far from where she started). The gentleman then resumes gathering up his photographic equipment.

Bonny: 6 gum

The train has come to a complete stop.

Saul is in the midst of his plea/pitch, but Bonny has heard none of it. The stopping of the train has cued the remaining passengers that it's time to get off, and the rush of bodies carries Saul along with it, and he finds himself hanging on a vertical handlebar on the outside of the car as passengers stream past to hop down onto the tracks and then run out into the Nebraska wilderness. Or are you in Wyoming already? None of you know. Suddenly there is screaming from the passengers who have disembarked, and Saul notices the sky going black. He is distracted from this by a young girl of perhaps fifteen years, whose freckles and dirty homespun dress show that she has spent a fair amount of time out-of-doors.

Apparently, she's heard all of Saul's sales pitch and thought it was meant for her. "Golly, mister, I shore don't want to be scalped, jes' like you said. Shore, I'll team up with ya! Mah name's Shawneen pleastameetcha. Mama allus said, Shawneen, she said, ya can jes' tell good people from bad jes' by lookin' at 'em, that's what my mama allus said. And golly sir if ya ain't a good 'un! So...what you want me to do first?"

Saul: 7 gum

Ezekiel hikes up his gun belt, tips his hat at the purdy lady, and takes a long stride toward Bonny, Muybridge, Shawneen, Saul, and everybody else in the dining car, but his foot is stopped, caught on something. He looks down to free his boot, and discovers that the young man who was shot ain't dead 'tall. Furthermore, the young man's outstretched hand, which has a tight grip on Ezekiel's boot heel, is bright green, as is his wrist all the way down to the cuff of the purple robe he wears under his jacket. There's a shifting noise as, on the other side of Ezekiel, Billy's body slides slightly, leaving a streak in the green ooze.

Ezekiel: 6 gum

The train has stopped, the sky is turning dark, and there is a high-pitched squeaking noise (Chhun) coming from the dining car.
Oct 9, 2015 10:04 am
I nod curtly to the man and brush my shoulder as if clearing away dust or sand in the vain hope that some of my embarrassment will go along with the gesture. As the people fill the aisle and carry Saul along in their wake I let out a sigh of relief. As the train stops I take a moment to collect my thoughts and turn back to the window. It's a simple task really. I unclip the latch, slide the window up, and climb out and onto the roof of the train car. Once atop, my attention focusses on the front and begin to make my way there - loaded pistol at the ready, oblivious to the streams of people and the darkening sky.

I'd like to just spend a gum to succeed; what better way to prepare for some ass kicking than getting rid of some of that gum!
Oct 9, 2015 12:03 pm
Saul doesn't quite know what to do with Shawneen. He gives her a vial of snake oil. "Take a swig of this, girl. It'll protect you from them Injuns. Now hide in there." He points her back inside the train.

All thoughts of Bonny pushed aside for the moment, Saul concentrates on the Cheyenne raid. Saul is a fraud and a charlatan but he really DID spend time in the Amazon Jungle and he DID learn a thing or two, yessir! Now he rolls up his sleeves, quickly takes some unlabeled vials out of his valise, and stuffs them into his pockets. He unscrews the top of his cane and reveals it to be a blowgun. He takes three darts, dips them in a vial of lethal frog poison and shoots them in quick succession at the screeching Injun braves. He shoots three redskins deader than dead, yessiree!
OOC: I want this to succeed, so sacrificing 1 gum here.
Last edited October 12, 2015 3:04 am
Oct 9, 2015 1:19 pm
Frank, seeing the action escalating even more, groans, I think it's about time that I end this so I can get back to my search, he thinks to himself. He turns to Tommy, "Come with me, good chap! You still carry your 'Revolving, Exploding, Blasty Cannon(tm)' with you?" He reaches deep into his coat pocket and pulls out a shotgun with the chamber of a revolver, 10 rounds already loaded into it, and yells, "This is for interrupting my search! Now the dust bunny overlords know I'm here!"

With that he begins firing upon the Injuns with extreme prejudice!

OOC: Using a bubblegum
Oct 9, 2015 3:18 pm
Clarence is literally gobsmacked -- that is the fin of a dolphin slaps him gently upside the face as it leaps over him -- and is also figuratively gobsmacked at this sleek, grey, torpedo of teeth! Torn between his curiosity about the beast and what's going on outside, he decides that clearly, the squeaking thing needs some help. In fact! The squeaking reminds him of the harness with wheels he's got packed away in his trunk, "Never did quite get the wheels to stop squeaking." It might be a little small for the grey, toothy torpedo, but a little bit of finagling can surely make it work.

Clarence will turn off his vest, as he knows he can't manipulate the items in his trunk with his magnetic field repulsing all of his gear, and extract from his trunk a collection of poles and wheels sized, it seems, to provide mobility to a large dog (his neighbor had the most wonderful, overweight, over-sized Basset Hound that just couldn't be bothered to move -- and this provided some ability for him to do so.. until he careened down the stairs at the flop house). He will attempt to assemble it around the torpedo in order to provide the beast with mobility! Then they can both go and see what the commotion is outside.

Rolls

Unpack the harness and put it on a "doll fin" (Mundane?) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 12, 2015 3:33 pm
Shawneen obediently begins the gulp down the green fluid as Saul turns away from her, rolling up his sleeves, daubing his face with war paint, kicking off his shoes to better grip the rungs of the ladder on the end of the dining car as he ascends while loading his first dart. Running noiselessly along the roof of the dining car, he leaps at the end over the gap to the coal car. The shifting coal is an unsteady surface, but no less steady than the rotting vegetation of the jungle floor: Saul rolls through the coal and springs up, firing a dart at the first Cheyenne he sees, who freezes up and falls lifelessly over the side. Saul is so fast and silent that the other two natives do not see him, distracted as they are by something to the side of the train. Saul drops from the end of the coal car, black as the sky (at least on this day, which has turned astonishingly dark) from his coating of coal dust into the midst of a band of twenty-odd Cheyenne - men, women and children - who seem to be torn between a desire to shovel coal into the furnace and looking back along the train to see what is making all the screaming noise. Two more drop to Saul's darts before they notice him.

Visions of the organized network of dust bunnies whirling in his head, dreading to imagine what nefarious schemes they are concocting at this very moment, Frank is filled with outrage, rising up with Revolving, Exploding, Blasty Cannon in hand. The Winchester people would have had him call it a "REB-C," but Frank always felt that that minimized the majesty of the instrument of death. There is a momentary, confusing resistance in the air (until Clarence switches off his vest), but then Frank is able to stride through the dining car, pushing the chef out of his way. Certainly the bunnies are organized, though their ways are mysterious: every step seems to splash, as if he were walking into a brook or the shallows of a river. When he throws open the door leading toward the coal car, Frank notices a continuous stream of water pouring out over his shoes onto the rail bed below. But it's hard to see, it's suddenly so dark outside. The screaming is coming from the sides of the train, but the gunfire and the Injuns were coming from the engine. With two leaps, Frank is up the ladder and standing on the shifting pile of coal in the coal car, still mostly full this early in the transcontinental journey. There are a pair of Cheyenne here, looking appalled at something over the side of the train, but with a noise like thunder, Frank sends them careening off of the coal car with concussive reports from his Revolving, Exploding, Blasty Cannon. He continues to make his way forward to see what he can do to get the engine under steam again.

Before he can make any further conversation, Bonny leaves Muybridge to climb out the window and scramble up the side of the car onto the roof of the train. The sky is black with a ponderous ceiling of cloud that looks nearly close enough to touch; the sense of weight above her is pretty overwhelming. A shadowy figure is just dropping from the coal car as she stands and makes her way forward. As she leaps from the roof of the passenger car she started in to the roof of the dining car, she glances to the side and notices the purple robed figures surrounding the passengers as they emerge from the train. Bolts of energy steam from the face of each robed figure, lancing into the passengers, who are screaming in agony. Steeling her resolve, she runs forward as a gunman leaps up onto the coal ahead of her. She sees the man fire two blasts of a shotgun, which throw his two targets off of the train. She's reassured that he will have to reload now. She's at the edge of the dining car now.

Clarence switches off his vest, and Frank is able to walk past with his Revolving, Exploding, Blasty Cannon, each step splashing in the water streaming out of Chhun's pores. Clarence is able to quickly assemble the harness around Chhun's sleek, bullet-shaped body, assisted by the buoyancy of the water as it fills the bottom few inches of the dining car. The water is draining nearly as fast as it is pouring out of Chhun, as now the doors at both ends of the car are open. Clarence hears the screaming of people on either side of the train, the booming reports of Frank's hand cannon, and then the pounding of Bonny's running footsteps overhead. A gleam of light from under one of the dining tables catches his eye momentarily, and then is gone.

Ezekiel looks on with horror as the man looks up at him. His veins bulging in his face are turning a shade of green that Ezekiel associates with gangrene and amputation. The man's eyes are cloudy and yellow, and he still has a tight grip on Ezekiel's heel as he brings his other hand forward.

Persimmon looks at her hand and begins to shriek, as her once-smooth skin of her left hand has developed a supple layer of green scales. She is frozen into inactivity with horror.

Chhun begins to thrash his flukes, which sends him scooting happily forward into the water, assisted by the wheels of Clarence's harness. His chittering and squeaking ceases as his body begins to transform once more, this time with arcs of electric energy. Thunder booms in the sky overhead as his body elongates even further. But between the darkness and the obscuring water, only Luke, sitting at the faro table, is able to see what is happening to the sea creature.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to fred.langen
Bonny: 5 gum
Frank: 7 gum
Luke: 8 gum
Saul: 6 gum

Rolls

Chhun's next transformation (vs 6 gum) - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 14, 2015 11:41 am
Saul snatches up a tomahawk from the first Cheyenne he felled. Now brandishing the axe in one hand and his blowgun/cane in the other, he charges onward. He is surprised by the sight of Cheyenne women and children. He hesitates. "What in tarnation is goin' on?" he roars in Cheyenne.

Rolls

Speaking in Cheyenne is ass-kicking, I guess. - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Oct 14, 2015 8:04 pm
Clarence notices the flashes of color and goes to look at the window. Seeing the screaming -- and in retrospect, hearing the screaming -- passengers and the weird bolts of light and the robed people, he is convinced that Something Evil Is Afoot! This is clearly unacceptable -- so Clarence turns to his trunk, rummaging around to see if he can find something appropriate to deal with the mummery taking place outside.

He finds his portable gramophone and proceeds to quickly pull together components to turn it into a contraption to emit a large pulse of subsonic sound, which should blow those chaps right off their feet!

Rolls

An attempt to kickassedly rebuild his gramophone into a sonic weapon - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 16, 2015 1:47 am
Saul thinks back to his life in the Amazon, and recalls how he noted similarities between the different languages of the tribes. In a flash of sudden insight, Saul realizes the connections between those languages and those of the North American tribes. As he tries to form the words, the veil is suddenly lifted, and he sees the inherent connections between ALL languages, leading back to when the world was new, and he speaks forth in the language from which all other languages sprung, the tongue of angels and all living things, and what he says, roughly translated, is this:

"What in tarnation is goin' on?"

Unfortunately, the language of angels is no longer spoken by the fallen people of Earth, and the result is that the Cheyenne are amazed and bewildered by this apparition who has appeared amongst them as two of their number have mysteriously perished, black as the night and speaking the tongue of the sky. The thunder and lightning clinch it, and they speak back to Saul, clearly importuning him to some action.

As quickly as it came, the insight into the underlying language of the universe fades, and Saul is just Saul once more.

Saul: 5 gum
Oct 16, 2015 4:16 am
Clarence feverishly begins to disassemble everything close at hand, rearranging it and clipping it together. The contraption that results is the size of a suitcase, with a large cone on the end and a large crank on the side. Clarence aims the cone at the window and cranks furiously. There is another flash of lightning above, a crack of thunder that momentarily deafens everyone, and Clarence releases the trigger mechanism. The air in front of the cone visibly distorts as an incredibly low-frequency wave billows out of the cone. Everyone's ears pop as the air is pushed away, along with the entire side of the train's dining car. The screaming of the passengers and the chanting of the purple robed figures, the whistling of the wind and the sound of cavalry bugles approaching from the south, all are silenced as the wave continues to expand outwards, rolling everything in its path south along the prairie. The sonic weapon fuses, growing hot in Clarence's hands and the cone turns molten and drips onto the floor, scorching the water there into jets of steam. The inaudible soundwave ceases.

Everything is silent for a long moment, and then the wave passes out of (non)hearing, and sound returns with another crack of lightning and thunder directly overhead. Chhun's serpentine body rears up from the water on a neck ten feet long, and continues rising up and up - twenty feet, thirty feet, forty feet - as his body corkscrews into the air. The vast reptile that was the Emperor's messenger circles in the sky just below the looming black cloud, electricity arcing along its flanks.

Luke stands amazed with the others at the faro table, as the wind whips through the side of the train where a wall was moments before, and a dragon roars above them.

The screaming resumes on the other side of the train.

Oct 16, 2015 4:23 am
Clarence grabs his wrench and hops down out of the dining car to see if he can club a few of those purpley guys senseless. He might consider keeping one of 'em tied up -- perhaps he could work up some kind of Van der Graaf generator or some such in which he could capture their lightning and... um.. do something with it. That's an idea. In the mean time though, the rest of them need to be well and truly knocked out.

Rolls

Hopping out of the dining car to bop some purple dudes senseless (mundane) - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 16, 2015 1:12 pm
I pause, scanning the various scenes of madness unfolding around me. Creatures bursting forth from within the belly of the train, train robbers, strange cloaked figures with electric arcs leaping from their concealed faces, screams, silence, booming clouds. "What in the hell is going on here?" I almost take stock of my plan, but then I see an opportunity and refocus my aims.

I slip off the side of the train, hanging onto the edge of the roof, and scramble along the side to avoid drawing the attention of any of those involved in the various battles, and make my way to the coal car. One there, I scramble into the space between the cars and heave on the connector that holds the two cars together - if I can detach the coal car, and commandeer the engine, the train will be mine!
Last edited October 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Rolls

Rolling to do a thing (not sure if mundane or kickass) - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 16, 2015 2:11 pm
Frank takes a moment to look around, realizing that he is safe at the moment he takes a look through the window, looking at the purple robed people and just in time to see a dragon rising into the air. He takes a deep breath, "Why does this always happen to me? Everywhere I go..."

He stomps forward toward the engine, "Gotta get this thing going again, not gonna be able to find them bunnies with all this craziness going on," he begins blowing doors open with his Revolving, Exploding, Blasty Cannon as he goes, unwilling to waste any more time opening doors.

Rolls

Rolling to move forward toward the engine, blowing up doors - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 16, 2015 2:56 pm
Saul looks confusedly at the mayhem around him. Every time he thinks he has understood the situation, he finds that he has not. This is not a train heist, and neither is it a Cheyenne raid! Suddenly, Chun the dragon bursts upward. Saul looks up and he thinks he knows what he needs to do. He takes up his blowgun again and makes some adjustments, converting it into a flute. A little something he learned from the dragon charmers on his travels through Shangri-La. He plays a secret melody and bids the dragon to come to him so he can ride it and command it to devour the purple-robed cultists or anyone else who might threaten the train passengers.

Yeah, I'm sacrificing a stick o' gum here.
Last edited October 16, 2015 9:04 pm
Oct 17, 2015 8:44 pm
At this time, we take a pause from the action in the remains of the dining car, the fierce murderizin' in the coal car, the worshipful importunin' in the engine, and enjoy a brief intermission.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aodDDgVNgdI/TBrWvJ0TpKI/AAAAAAAAFDE/0-uCppSnz5c/s1600/06+DSC_2719+Wyoming+Countryside.JPG

Aaahhh. Don't that just move yer soul?
Oct 17, 2015 11:39 pm
As we take our seats again after that refreshin' take on nature, let's roll our view back a few cars, behind the remains of the dining car, where Ezekiel and Persimmon were discovering that not is all that it seems in the passenger car.

For those of you watching at home (since no one else is paying attention to her), Persimmon's delicate, green scaly fingers have begun to elongate. They stretch and extend, further and further, to the floor as she looks on in horror.

At the same time, we see Ezekiel's captor, whose right appendage is wrapped tight around the lawman's ankle, constricting his boot and preventing further movement. Slowly, the murdered man on the floor holding his foot exhales, softly, sibilantly, not at all like the last gasp of someone who's been shot, but more like a long sigh through gritted teeth. The corpse of Billy the Kid has vanished, and had anyone else still been in the car, they would have noticed that the rear door - leading toward the caboose of the train - is slowly sliding shut behind a trail of green slime on the floor of the car.

Oct 17, 2015 11:53 pm
http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Black%20Wool%20Cloak%20with%20Full%20Hood.jpg
Clarence strides forward and brandishes his wrench. The purple robed freak in front of him pays him no heed, as the light from his cowl finds another passenger. The passenger's flesh withers as he dessicates, the energy seeming to siphon off the life energy from his body. Clarence's wrench clobbers the cowled figure on the top of its head, and it crumbles with a gruesome crunching noise. Energy flares out in all directions, beams of arcing light flashing out to each of the nearby purple-robed figures, and they all grow noticeably taller as they absorb that energy. The darkness between flashes of lightning and the arcs of energy from the cowls is nearly complete.

Oct 18, 2015 12:29 am
Realizing that he can't understand them, Saul ignores the chattering of the Cheyenne families and makes some quick adjustments to his blowpipe, fashioning a flute. He begins to play a soulful melody that somehow captures the essence of ancient forbidden temples of the Orient despite his never having been there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Nine-Dragons1.jpg
The dragon that is Chhun writhes through strobes of lightning as the clouds lower even further and the screaming of the dying passengers heightens in volume in proportion to their dwindling numbers, and over all of it rides the ethereal sound of Saul's pipe. Despite his better judgment, Chhun is fascinated by this taste of home, and he circles lower to investigate. With a flash of lightning, Chhun alights on the deck by Saul, his shape slowly condensing back into human form. Saul leaps onto his back before the transformation is complete, and Chhun roars into the heavens again, lightning sparking from his whiskers. Just at that moment, two explosions of his cannon clearing a path on the deck, Frank drops down from the coal car into the engine in the spot that Saul just vacated. He is followed a moment later by Bonny, who gets the drop on him after detaching the coal car. As Frank is the only target she recognizes as a threat - the man with the big gun - Bonny sticks her gun into his back. The Cheyenne remain awestruck, their eyes on Saul in the sky, coal shovels handing loosely in their hands. This train is mine! she thinks, triumphantly. And then the whistle blows...and blows. The three separate notes that form the whistle warble in pitch, and everybody realizes at about the same time that they are forming words, horrible, howling, deafening words:

"....WIIIILL GIIIIIVE MEEEEE BAAAAAACK MYYYYY LAAAAAAAAB!"

The Cheyenne drop to their knees, clapping hands over their ears at the unbelievable cacophany, while Frank and Bonny are both deafened, their ears ringing. Even Saul, flying upwards on Chhun's back, is stunned by the enormous volume of a train whistle used as a speaking implement. Further, he realizes that there's only one person who could possibly even imagine using something like a train whistle for replicating human speech: the Wizard himself....!

Saul: 4 gum
Bonny: 4 gum
Oct 18, 2015 8:43 am
I deliver a boot to the small of the back of the man in front of me. Without waiting to see what happens to him, I jump onto the lever that decouples the cars, detaching the coal car and engine from the rest of the train, and leap from there onto the coal car and rush for the engine. Guns in hand I unload a barrage of bullets into the front car, aiming for the blasted whistle first and then anyone in the engine who isn't the conductor.

Rolls

Shoot Em' Up (Kick Ass) - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Oct 19, 2015 8:24 pm
The engine lurches, even though the brake is applied. Then it jumps as Bonny begins to execute people in the area. The first shot punches Frank in the back, but the jumping of the train causes the shot to go wide. It doesn't sever his spine or pierce his heart; his shoulder shatters and the force and shock cause him to lose his grip on the revolving cannon, which drops to the floor onto its trigger mechanism. It proceeds to roll around, firing randomly at everyone's legs. Bonny's second shot hits a Cheyenne in the face, her third shot misses everyone and ricochets around the enclosed space, coming back and hitting her in the hip. She spins around and lands on her hands as the revolving cannon turns towards her. The engine lurches again and a large seam appears in the floorboards...

Bonny: 3 gum

Saul sees all this happen from dragonback, and notices that the engine is beginning to fall apart. The wheels have just popped out sideways. Could it be related to the evil ritual nearing completion?

Oct 19, 2015 8:53 pm
Frank grunts as he hits the floor, pain radiating through his entire body from his shattered shoulder. Seeing the carnage that his Rotating, Exploding, Blasty Cannon is inflicting on the people in the car he leaps to his feet, does a back-flip over the shot that was about take out his knees and lands in front of Bonny, picking it up before it can take her out. He turns and points it directly at her face, screaming at her, "ARE YOU WITH THEM? WHAT DID THEY OFFER YOU? THEY KNOW I'M CLOSE, DON'T THEY? DON'T PROTECT THEM, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE UP TO! I NEED ANSWERS NOW!"

Using Bubblegum!
Oct 20, 2015 3:33 pm
The engine flips up on its hitch and everyone careens backwards towards the coal car. Bonny and Frank scrabble for purchase as the deck of the engine goes vertical and rises up into the air. They find themselves hanging by their fingers as long legs unfold from beneath the engine and raise it ten feet in the air.

http://www.first-team.us/i_op-046.jpg

The bugle call of the cavalry is heard again, as they ride back north after the seismic wave rolled them away from the train. Under Saul's musical guidance, Chhun dives down and crunches one of the cultists in his jaws. There is a flare of eldritch energy and the remaining robed figures grow even larger. Chhun's snout blazes with an unholy fire - devouring the cultist is not agreeing with him, and his flying becomes erratic. The last few passengers are fleeing pell mell away from the train, but the robed figures - now each at least eight feet tall - easily catch up to them with long strides.
Oct 21, 2015 4:21 am
"What I need is a bunch of water, because water and electricity always have a bad outcome." Clarence hops back into the dining car and proceeds to monkey with whatever contraptions are available which contain liquid -- perhaps even some of the leftover liquid from the squeaky fish-thing. That said, looking around him, he sees that having blasted the side off the dining car, he has allowed all that water to splash onto the ground and seep into the dry prairie.

"I know!" Clarence begins to work with the various metal bits, flatware, chairs, the samovar filled with substandard coffee, anything. "I can arrange these as a weaponry and use my vest to launch them at these. Surely I will be able to cause serious bodily harm to at least two or three of them." Clarence gets to work, muttering to himself -- a couple test runs and then he begins to use his "magnetic vest cannon" to take out as many cultists with available metal as possible.

Clarence will sacrifice 1 bubble gum to ensure success.
Oct 21, 2015 3:44 pm
The train engine, now converted into a giant (25' tall) humanoid figure with Bonny and Frank (somehow still holding on to his rotating, exploding blasty cannon) clinging to its thighs, releases a blast of steam and steps off of the track with a resounding CLANG. Clarence rushes out into the prairie as best he can with most of the ferrous objects in the dining car attached to him. The dark sky starts to turn an angry red color, as if fire loomed just above the thick black clouds. Each giant robed figure leans back and screams at the sky, releasing streams of energy that rise up like columns supporting the descending black clouds. Just then, Clarence reverses the polarity of his magnetic vest, and a fusillade of forks, knives, spoons, screws, and nails explode forth from him in all directions. Three of the giant purple figures are close enough to be shredded by these; they explode in flashes of flame, leaving black vapors in the shape of devils that slowly rise up into the sky. Chhun, already choking on the dinner of evil robed figure, is hit by several pieces of flying cutlery; with a shriek of pain he falls to earth again. Saul is shielded from the flying metal by the dragon's body, but the wind is knocked out of him as he hits the ground. The windows of the passenger car are blown out by pieces of flying metal, showering Ezekiel, Persimmon, and the reptilian thing holding onto Ezekiel with glass. The cavalry and the giant steam mechanical man that was the steam engine are all pelted with a rain of cutlery and hardware plunking down around them.

Bonny and Frank each pull themselves up onto surfaces that were vertical before and are now horizontal. Miraculously, Bonny retrieves her gun and each of them is able to stand, despite their gunshot wounds (they are so kick-ass they don't notice wounds). They are close to one another, but separated by at least two yards of open space (with a drop of about 10 feet) as each thigh groans forward and stomps the leg down in the process of the Mechanical Man's walking roughly East, parallel to the train and toward the cavalry and several of the purple-robed figures. All of the Cheyenne have dropped off of the engine. The furnace is above Bonny and Frank, in the thing's torso, and they can hear whirring and clicking of clockwork as well as someone muttering above that.

The black cloud, shot through with red and pierced by a few remaining columns of screaming light, begins to whirl into a vortex, a vast whirlpool above your heads. Anyone close to a standing purple robed figure is illuminated in piercingly bright white light; everything else is lit with a dull red glow. The cavalry arrives at the train, expecting to find the Cheyenne they've been chasing since they escaped the reservation, but finding instead...well, they plumb just don't know what they've found. Expecting a fight, a couple of the soldiers fire tentative shots at the Mechanical Man; the bullets ricochet off of the engine close to Bonny and Frank.

Frank: 6 gum
Clarence: 7 gum
Oct 21, 2015 4:19 pm
I set out to commander the train, and I don't rightly care if it's decided to be a giant mechanical man instead of a train - it will still be mine. Seeing no other reasonable option, I holster my gun, grit my teeth, turn my attention upwards. Fuelled by adrenaline (and a dwindling supply of that awesome pink chewy stuff), I leap upwards, grasp onto an extending chunk of metal, haul my body up and begin my ascent. I flow with it's movements, grasping for handholds when they are available and leaping from the one chunk to another when they are not. I ascend towards the muttering, confident that they're the driver of this metal-train-man.

Rolls

Ascend the Robot (kick ass) - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 21, 2015 4:46 pm
Annoyed by the interruption of his search and sure that the perpetrator of this setback is above, Frank holsters the Blasty Cannon and begins his ascent.

Rolls

Ascending! (Kickass) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 22, 2015 8:39 pm
Bonny is no stranger to climbing obstacles, as she demonstrates with an amazing display of agility and finesse. Her ascent includes a number of leaps from handhold to foothold, twists, a brief period where she is hanging upside-down, and a vertical cartwheel, all of which, together, take her to the "shoulder" of this Mechanical Man, twenty-five feet above the prairie. She pauses there for a moment, as the wind billows her duster and hair behind her and a bolt of lightning cracks down, silhouetting her sharply. The Mechanical Man's head is actually a normal man's head. Bonny does a double-take, and then realizes that a man in a suit is seated in a depression in the shoulders, operating a series of levers, dials and switches to operate the movement of the Mechanical Man. She has no idea who Edison is; to her, he's just some crazy passenger in her way. Edison looks up at her and his jaw drops. His experience cannot reconcile with the existence of this wild woman with her hair streaming free. He is enchanted and terrified at once. He stammers, inadvertently switching on the amplification which converts his speech into the steam whistle again.

"MY WORD! MISS, YOU ARE A VISION!"
Oct 22, 2015 8:43 pm
As Bonny considers what to do with Edison, Frank has realized that he cannot climb effectively with his wounded shoulder. So he does the natural thing and converts his Rotating, Exploding Blasty Cannon to expel an exhaust plasma that will propel him. Having completed this, he flies up to hover at the top of the Mechanical Man on a jet of flame.
Oct 22, 2015 8:47 pm
"Thomas, what in blazes are you doing? You've interrupted my search with all your silliness! That's years of investigation down the drain, I don't know if I'll ever be able to find an opportunity like this again," he shouts above all the noise, starting grumpily at his friend.
Oct 23, 2015 1:18 am
Clarence is right pleased with himself for taking down three of the purple monstrosities, but now he's out on the prairie surrounded by cavalry, bad weather, purple things and a busted train that has, for all appearances, lost its engine to some mammoth automaton. "It's a shame I don't have more time to prepare," he says to himself, "perhaps I could have built myself one of those -- but it does give me some interesting ideas!"

Those ideas, however, aren't helping him get to his destination, and dagnabbit, he's not going to get there if the engine stalks off in some kind of a tizzy. "Time to get that engine back on the train and get us moving again. I'll never get to Alberquerque if I can't even get to San Francisco!" He tinkers with his vest, trying to focus its magnetic push into a narrower beam and then, of course, reverse the polarity. That should allow him to point it at the top of the engine and use it as a kind of grappling hook. "Hee hee!" he says to himself as he tinkers.

Rolls

Tinker with the vest -- a mundane roll, I believe. 7 gum - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Oct 23, 2015 8:19 am
I stare the frazzled man down, hands hovering over where my pistols are at the ready. It seems clear that this is the operator of the machine, and this is the place from which it is controlled. The mixture of levers, knobs and whizzers and buzzers starts to give my eye a twitch as I struggle to briefly contemplate a course of action. Then, the woosh of fire and energy as the man I met in the coal car flies into the air over the giant contraption and shouts down at the man in the chair. The man in control.

I continue to stand there. Staring.

Rolls

Threatening Presence - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 24, 2015 10:45 am
The remaining purple-robed figures are silhouetted with crimson energies, and the beams of light streaming from their hoods into the sky dim from the brilliant white to a piercing yellow, then continue to change color as if cooling metal from a forge down through orange and finally to a deep crimson color. The spinning vortex overhead begins to howl with shrieking winds, streams of lightning peeling back the layers of cloud to reveal a sky that resembles a hideous, bloody wound.
http://i.ndtvimg.com/mt/2011-06/lightningclouds295.jpg

Clarence completes his adjustments to the vest and, as fast as a bullet, he finds himself slammed up against the "chest" of the Mechanical Man.

Edison is unable to focus on Frank at the moment, muttering distractedly about how he's going to take back his lab or something. Bonnie, trying to stare down Thomas Edison, do a kick-ass roll for your Presence Attack. He's already gobsmacked, but let's see how he reacts to your Stare.
Oct 24, 2015 2:01 pm
Clarence, spread-eagle against the chest of the Mechanical Man considers his predicament. "If I turn off the vest, that seems to be a bad thing. Perhaps I can shimmy up this thing, like moving a magnet along a piece of metal." He attempt to shimmy upwards, as any giant automaton would be run from the head, of course. Who would think to do anything different?

Rolls

Mundane roll to shimmy upwards! - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Oct 26, 2015 6:56 am
Edison glances back at the striking woman, and suddenly he can't take his eyes off of Bonny. Could this be the same woman he so admired just moments ago? Surely not! Now she seems to have grown in size and threatening aspect, looming over him, her hands bloody, her eyes flickering with flame, and the hideous sky backlighting her flapping form...Edison shrieks and jumps out of the cockpit in terror. He plummets past Clarence, who is inching his way up the torso of the Mechanical Man with loud scraping, screeching noises. He has to backtrack and find another route a couple of times, to avoid areas where the Mechanical Man's torso is the wood of the engine's deck, and then to avoid the plasma exhaust of Frank's rocket pack. Saul picks himself up and dusts himself off, stepping away from Chhun's writhing form.

No one knows what's happening back in the passenger car with Ezekiel and Persimmon.

Oct 26, 2015 10:27 am
What a happy outcome. I was preparing to shoot the man, but wasn't keen on doing so with his rocket-propelled friend looming over head. I stride forward with confidence and plunk myself down in the seat. The arrangement of knobs, wheels, switches, buttons, doo-dads and whizzers looks like it would be very confusing were someone to try and sort out how it all works. Fortunately, I'm in no mood for trying, I'm in a mood for doing. I grab the nearest lever, pull it towards me and start operating the train-man. Freed from the tracks, the best course is to kick some of those electric-flinging purple-robed strangers, and maybe get a few of them marshals in the followup.

Rolls

ROBOOOOOOT (kick ass) - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 27, 2015 5:01 pm
The flaming sky has been descending further, until there is no question that there are actual flames in the sky, spiraling down toward a focus point in the midst of the remaining giant purple-robed figures. As the tongue of flame is touching down to earth, the Mechanical Man leaps forward, somersaulting in the air, and lands feet first on one of the figures, crushing it to a soft purple goo. The complex web of energies blasting into the sky wavers, alters.

Clarence experiences a series of fascinating but nausea-inducing movements, as he - stuck as he is to the front of the Mechanical Man behind him (think of an infant in a facing-forward baby carrier on a parent's chest) - is jounced up and down while it runs, feels a moment of stomach-churning weightlessness as the Mechanical Man jumps, then sees the sky and the ground (flame and darkness) spinning past him as it rolls forward in a somersault, and then a tremendous jolt as the robot collides with the ground once more. Nevertheless, he's reached the upper limit of the chest, hanging just at the brim of the cup containing the control console.

Frank, towering on his column of rocket exhaust, watches as Thomas Edison leaps/plummets to his death and Bonny seizes control of the Mechanical Man. Its first step crushes the poor scientist, and Frank thinks Now no one but me knows about the impostor... as the robot thunders away.

Meanwhile, back in the passenger car, Ezekiel has not been idle. He's tried to pull away from the green, dead man, but to no avail. Accordingly, he has fired his gun into the man, which succeeded in getting the thing to let go. But now it has risen up again after being shot, which just ain't right. The freshly re-shot man opens his mouth wide and hisses at Ezekiel. The man's face cracks horribly and the skin peels back from a long reptilian snout...

Persimmon's long, graceful white arm seems to have become boneless at first, but then she realizes that she has many more bones in her arm than before...her arm is flexible, and she uses it to coil around one of the seats in the car. Having done so, she rears up and attempts to kick out one of the windows to escape the gunfire and the snake thing that is confronting the gunman. The glass shatters and she lets herself out the window, using her long, scaly arm as a rope. It uncoils once she's on the ground near Saul and slithers back to her side, looking for something else to grab.

The cavalry has found something it understands in the sight of the escaping Cheyenne; they were sent to retrieve them, and there they are! A pitched gun battle ensues as the few remaining native families try to stave off capture and a return to the stinking reservation.

Billy the Kid's no longer recognizable when he emerges from the back of of the train as a colossal snake, having swallowed a few of the purple-robed cultists in the caboose and grown huge in the process. He slithers toward the cavalry, and the horses whinny and rear up in terror, adding further chaos to the gun battle.

Chhun attempts to change shape once more. The spines in his back shrink and darken, thickening into a coat of sleek, oily fur.

Luke, unable to gamble any further, sweeps up the pot of cash from the faro table and attempts to shoot the other players while they are distracted by all the events happening behind him. bang! bang! bang! three shots from a small revolver, and three more dead passengers fall to the deck. Luke stows the gun back in its hiding place, stuffs the money into his valise, grabs his medical bag, and steps lightly down through the hole in the side of the train to the ground.

Saul, in the midst of an array of purple-robed figures belching fell read beams into the sky, with a dragon shape-changing next to him, US cavalry in a pitched gun battle with grim Cheyenne who are starting to regain mounts all around, a window smashing out of the train on the other side of him, and a giant Mechanical Man thudding to earth, splattering him with gory mud, watches as the incursion of swirling flame touches down to earth just a few yards away.

Rolls

Persimmon's kickass escape (vs 6 gum) - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Chhun's next transformation (kickass vs 6 gum) - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Luke (kickass execution vs 8 gum) - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Oct 27, 2015 5:15 pm
Clarence looks down at the spot that used to be Thomas Edison and thinks to himself, "I really should have reached out to save that poor soul, but I barely noticed him passing by and this automaton is quite out of control." He nods resolutely, "Self," he says out loud to himself, "You really need to get this thing headed to San Francisco." He works at pulling himself up over into the control room -- turning off his vest once he's got a solid hold and hoisting himself up into the cockpit. Once he's rolled into the cockpit he'll roll onto his back and reconfigure the vest for "repulsion" just in case there's something untoward. At the first sign of a raised weapon, he'll turn his vest on.

Rolls

Mundane roll to roll into the cockpit and reconfigure his vest - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 28, 2015 8:13 am
Clarence's appearance, rolling over the edge into the cockpit next to her, is so unexpected (particularly after that somersault!) that Bonny is stunned for a moment, until he lands next to her and struggles to his feet in the enclosed space, working dials and switches on his metal get-up.
Oct 28, 2015 8:25 am
Seeing the odd man cram himself into the cockpit, obviously intending to take over, I rise to my feet and firmly plant a boot in his chest. As I do so, clawed blades release from the sole of my boot - a mechanism made for me by a clever inventor I'd kidnapped that releases the blades on direct surface impact along the whole base of my boot. "This is my train." I growl, as I try and eject him from the cockpit, or at least disable his whacky blinking vest.

Rolls

Kick (ass) - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 28, 2015 12:27 pm
It's all a little too much for Saul. He doesn't know what to do anymore. Until Persimmon appears beside him and old habits kick in. "Are you quite alright, my dear madam? It appears we have stumbled into a war of some sort. Please allow me to escort you to safety! I am mortified I did not catch your name on our first encounter! Forgive me, but if you'll permit, there is another passenger...a young girl...that I should like to assist as well."
Last edited October 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Rolls

Chatting up Persimmon (mundane) vs. 4 gum - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm
Clarence is under assault! This is not acceptable. Given the woman's practically bristling with metallic means of harm -- hopefully there's some metal in yonder boots! -- he flips on his vest in repulsor mode, and performs a bit of reversal ju-jitsu in order to swap positions so that he's on the /inside/ and she's facing the outside. "Just a minute, you! This train needs to go to San Francisco even if it's some mammoth automaton!"

I will sacrifice a bubble gum for success of some sort.
Oct 30, 2015 6:06 am
Saul turns to the charming Miss Persimmon Flagella, his mind unable to comprehend her sinuous snake arm and so he doesn't see it, and begins to chat her up. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that all his polite witticisms and gallant bon mots are delivered in another language, not English. Perhaps early Etruscan?
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

"Lach voof keba rack, sibby smoo-smoo? Vistay wow gebra poff powpow et. Besook dee chorse hatta do foo loo! Dee dee nub nim in matt grouf! Shookoo, nub remetto, Kallaga...smoo-boo teesh...dee niff na poo voo loo."
Persimmon is horrified at this entire situation; the scruffy, sooty ruffian attempting to speak to her is not recognizable as the dapper middle-aged mountebank with whom she spoke just a short while ago, but his speaking gibberish to her is the final straw. Responding to her alarm, the coils of her arm whip out and around Saul's neck, lifting him slightly and choking off the rest of the foreign woo he was attempting to pitch. Snake oil bottles shake out of his pockets and clatter to the soil.

There is a rumbling in the earth once more, as something of earth rises up to meet the column of flame spearing downward from heaven. Something hazy - smoke, dust? - rolls along the ground from all directions, toward the point where fire and earth meet.

Saul: 3 gum
Oct 30, 2015 6:20 am
Bonny plants her foot on Clarence's metal-clad chest, says "This is my train" in a steely voice, and the crampons in her shoes snap out with a satisfying chung as they scrunch into the metal formal wear. Before she can do anything else, Clarence activates his magnetic field, which repels all metal away from it. Bonny's gun flies out of her hand. But the nearby metal also includes Bonny's boot and much of the train engine around him. Bonny's boot flies backwards, causing Bonny to knee herself in the face, and she falls backwards, hitting the edge of the cockpit and rolling over it. But the boot, as it is forced away, takes with it the front of the vest, held as it is in the clawed spikes of the boot. At the same time, the magnetic force pushes violently on the metal of the train engine around Clarence. It, however, is far more massive than he, so the vest is repelled up and out of the cockpit. For the first ten feet or so, Clarence is in the vest as it flies upward...but then the vest, missing its buttons (and most of its front), loses its structural integrity and flies apart. Clarence falls heavily to the ground, on the other side of the empty Mechanical Man from Bonny.

Nearby, dirt flies as Chhun begins to burrow under the prairie.

Clarence: 6 gum
Oct 30, 2015 7:39 pm
Seeing that the cockpit is free, Frank will climb in and take over the controls, steering it back on track.

Rolls

Getting back on track - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 30, 2015 7:46 pm
Clarence gets up, dusts himself off and frowns sadly at his vest. He can only imagine that the scandalous thug who was at the controls of that beast will be quite upset at him, and who knows what other crazy weapons she has concealed on her person. He immediately hoofs it back to the dining car and his chest to see if he can outfit himself with something useful for defense in case she bears a grudge.

Rolls

Hoofing it back to rummage through the chest (mundane) 6 = - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 31, 2015 12:47 am
Frank lands in the cockpit with a whoosh and seizes control of the Mechanical Man. It whirls and stomps back to the track at the front of the train.

Clarence runs back into the train, pushing past Luke and retrieves his portmanteau.

The stuff rolling across the ground is massing together at the junction of earth and fire, lit from within with flashes of infernal energy. The few remaining purple-clad figures are shrieking, though with triumph, terror, or dismay, none can tell.
Oct 31, 2015 8:03 pm
Saul finally registers Persimmon's unnatural arm. What the blazes?! "Unhand me this instant, madam! I'm not the enemy here!" He opes in his pocket and pulls out one of the poison darts for his Amazonian blowgun. He nicks Persimmon's arm - just a scratch - to incapacitate her without killing. As Persimmon goes limp he passionately yanks and twirls her towards him in a perfumed swirl of skirts like a flamenco dancer. He relieves her of her jewelry to help her breathe better before laying her down gently in the relative safety beside a downed Cheyenne horse.

Sacrificing 1 gum for Amazonian Flamenco. Olé!
Nov 1, 2015 4:54 pm
Everyone stops what they are doing to stare in dumbfounded amazement at the dancers. Persimmon's grip slackens and releases Saul's neck as she discovers that she is delighted with dancing; her snake arm delicately raises, the flexible appendage sinuously describing complex curlicues in the air above her head as she spins and twirls. Saul spins her away from him and she twirls, her skirts billowing out about her. Saul grabs the tip of her reptilian arm/tail and yanks on it, causing Persimmon to spin back to him, the arm wrapping around her like a returning yoyo. He catches her in his arms, their eyes inches apart, both panting, her eyes dilated, and he leans in toward her as if for a kiss...and scratches her with the thorn. The tension goes out of her body with a gasp, and he lays her tenderly to the ground.

The crowd of Cheyenne, US cavalry, various horses, Luke, and the purple-robed giants all break out into applause. Today has been a mixture of horror and beauty like none of them have ever known. Unfortunately, the horror resumes. The hideous gray shape that has formed at the locus of the fire and earth reaches out a fuzzy appendage and smothers one of the purple-robed giants. In the silence, the sound of squishing and snapping is terribly audible. Everyone leaps back into motion, firing guns, riding horses, screaming and yelling and running pell-mell across the prairie as the shapeless mass rears up above them all.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to spaceseeker19
Nov 1, 2015 5:19 pm
Shaken, but not defeated, I scramble to my feet and take stock of the situation. The rising mass of horror and the chaos it is sewing in the congregated people catches my attention. I look to the cockpit, and see the new occupant determinedly directing the train-bot towards its original destination. I throw myself into small space and start fighting with him over the controls, directing the robot to engage the mass of horror. As I struggle, I move to elbow the man in the face to stagger him so I can punch a button to make the robot engage the mass and suplex it back into the hell it came from.

Rolls

Badass robot suplex - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Nov 1, 2015 11:43 pm
Clarence gazes at his trunk and paws through it, wondering what could be useful in this case. It seems like electricity isn't a good path to proceed down, as there's plenty of lightening around and the purple things don't seem to bothered by it. Still -- clouds -- winds disperse clouds. The steam whistle is off in the robot thing, and he no longer has a handy way to get back into control - so there goes an immediate option on generating high pressure and directional... wind of sorts.

He continues to paw, setting aside pieces or shuffling them around, "No, no, no. That won't do at all." That said, given he's more inclined to get this show back on the (rail)road, he turns and says "A-ha!" to himself. "I'll turn the dining car into a locomotive. I have many of the requisite items in the kitchen, it will just take a little leverage and the occasional simple machine to extrapolate and extend the forces applied." He begins to promptly get to work on turning the dining car into a self-propelled one. "This may take some time."

A bubblegum sacrifice will do.
Nov 2, 2015 3:57 pm
Clarence becomes a whirlwind of activity, moving into a blur whipping around and around the dining car, disassembling and reassembling it into a locomotive; as a new smokestack rises up, Bonny rushes through, leaping with a graceful bound (her blood describes an arc behind her) to the top of the smokestack, and then flips over into a moonsault double foot stomp, hitting Frank feet-first. He is thrown to the side, stunned, and she lightly lands in the control seat.

Under her control, the Mechanical Man pirouettes (which is something to see), then cartwheels over to the vast bulk of the red-lit beast as it finishes taking shape. Another long "foot" has stomped outward, crushing a horse and its rider. The body has elongated, two smaller appendages have extended from the torso, a head has formed with two protuberances like horns sprouting up from the back. As it rears up to its 30' height and roars, the Mechanical Man grabs it from behind, lifts it up and rolls backward, slamming the head of the Beast solidly into the ground with a tremendously deep "PFFFFT!" noise.

Clarence completes the locomotive; it's not pretty, but he's managed to include some improvements, while allowing for the fact that it will be pushing the coal car and so needs access to the furnace supplied from the front.

Ezekiel continues to fire his pistols at the formerly dead man, who has now turned completely into a giant snake monster. Then his guns click, and he realizes he's emptied both cylinders into the thing, with no apparent effect (other than pushing it back, away from his face for a moment).

Ezekiel: drops 1, down to 5 gum
Clarence: 5 gum

Rolls

Ezekiel (kick ass against 6 gum) - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Nov 2, 2015 4:18 pm
Frank, shaken up by the solid chest kick from Bonny, staggers to his feet. Seeing that she's busy battling some sort of bizarre beast, Frank decides it's not in his best interests to interfere. Instead he will retrieve the blasty cannon, reach into his coat and pull out a couple of pieces of metal. Using them to mount the blasty cannon to the mechanical man, he converts it into full-auto mode and proceeds to open fire on the beast.

Sacrificing bubblegum!
Nov 2, 2015 4:51 pm
Frank, head spinning still, comforts himself with modifying the Mechanical Man. It is only when he has completed his task and he's firing the Rotating Exploding Blasty Cannon into the bulk of the Beast that he recognizes it for what it is...

Oh, the Horror...!

Frank: 5 gum
Ezekiel: drops 1, down to 5 gum
Nov 2, 2015 4:59 pm
Frank, realizing what he's up against (the GOD of all Dust Bunnies), grins crazily. Finally! What I've been working towards for so long! with that thought he pulls out a mushy green wad of leaves; a concoction of leaves gathered from all over the world. He quickly stuffs it into his mouth and leaps from the mechanical man, leaving his blasty cannon behind. As he falls he begins to grow rapidly until he hits the ground. Standing 30 feet tall he grabs hold of the DB and begins to wrestle it to the ground.

Another bubblegum down!
Nov 3, 2015 4:47 pm
Clarence completes his new locomotive; all that remains is to start and stoke the furnace so that it comes up to steam, and the train will resume its journey.

Bonny has control of the Mechanical Man; an unmanned turret gun swivels aimlessly at her left shoulder, ready to fire.

Saul sees a giant snake monster (let's call him "Billy") slither past him and strike a horse fast as a blink. The horse shrieks in agony and falls over atop its rider with a crunch. Luke jogs over and retrieves the rifle that the rider dropped, bank notes fluttering out in his wake from his valise overstuffed with money.

Frank has grown to colossal size, standing naked as a jay bird a good five feet taller than the Mechanical Man and nearly as large as King Dust Bunny. The two titans grapple, the assorted bundles of hair and skin cells in the abomination making it hard to get a good grip.

Ezekiel tosses his guns aside. Clearly, this is no longer a gun fight. He grabs the giant snake's jaws in his hands, a fang sinking deep into his palm, and he proceeds to wrestle the snake to the ground. It wraps its coils about him and tries to squeeze the life out of his body, but he persists, bending the snake's jaws back, farther and farther, until he tears the bottom jaw off of the snake and beats the rest of its head with it. The snake goes limp at last, and Ezekiel gains a level (3rd level Snake Puncher).

Frank: 4 gum
Ezekiel: 5 gum

Rolls

Ezekiel tries to be kickass - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Nov 4, 2015 4:12 pm
Clarence likes to think he's as brave as the next man -- no braver even. But balderdash! Clarence needs to be in Phoenix soon and this train is awash with people who must be frightened into utter incomprehension and petrificationated! He heads to the coal car and begins doing what he can to stoke the engine. It's time to get this thing moving and get some distance from these goings on. And on a side note, Clarence thinks he should cut back on some of the heavy metals he's been playing with because he's clearly hallucinating just a little too much. Giant naked men, indeed.

Rolls

Mundanely throwing coal at a steam engine 5 = - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Nov 5, 2015 12:08 am
The coal shovel snaps in Clarence's hands, and he gets a series of painful splinters in his hand trying to use just the head of the tool. No, it won't work. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be another coal shovel around (the Cheyenne forgot to drop them in their hurry).

Clarence: 4 gum
Nov 5, 2015 9:10 pm
"Ouch." Clarence nurses his hand and clearly needs to do something a bit more automated to make this work. "I was never cut out for physical labor anyway." He heads back into the dining car-turned-engine and takes some of the larger pieces of flatware out of the wall to create a series of high-suction fans. The brass railing from the bar is hollow, and with a little clever manuvering he can turn it into a suction hose that will suck up coal and then cross the rubicon and propel into the engine. He gets to work.

Rolls

Building a coal shooter from barely anything seems kinda kickass: 4 - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Nov 6, 2015 3:16 pm
Clarence creates a hose and begins to siphon coal through the Power of Technology!

The furnace roars up and the boiler regains steam. With a shriek of the new train whistle (he couldn't resist fashioning one), the new locomotive begins pushing the coal car down the track, pulling all the other cars along behind it.

Ensconced in the turret of the Mechanical Man, Bonny sees the train start to leave. Meanwhile, Frank has pinned the King Dust Bunny, but its body is beginning to wriggle around his arms, engulfing him.

The giant snake is swallowing the horse next to Saul. As the caboose begins to move past, another snake slithers out of the back of the train, looking for prey. The cavalry is regrouping south of you, and the Cheyenne are preparing to cross the tracks and head north once the train is past. Luke uses his rifle to shoot one of the retreating cavalry soldiers and leap into the saddle in his place. He wheels the horse west and it rears up dramatically, large-denomination bank notes winging through the air in its wake.

Frank: 4 gum
Ezekiel: 5 gum
Clarence: 4 gum

Rolls

Luke: Hijacking a horse (kickass vs. 8 gum) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Nov 6, 2015 4:13 pm
I am briefly confused, as I recalled the train transforming in to the mechanical man - but now I see the train departing.. The adrenaline, and dwindling supply of pink-chew, quickly suppress the confusion and I once again have purpose. I jam the mechanical man's controls, setting it on a trajectory to intercept the train. I leap from the control area, and remove the blasty-cannon from its turret configuration. With the powerful weapon in hand, once the train is near enough, I leap down into the cabin, using downward blasts from the cannon to slow my descent, and upon landing point my weapon towards whomever is in control of the train.

I do admit, I'm quite a bit confused myself with all the transforming and disparate chaos. You've done a good job reinterpreting things to make sense in the context, so carry on with that if I've become lost in my vision of the scene.

Rolls

HIJACK TRAIN - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Nov 6, 2015 4:21 pm
Frank begins working his arms and hands against the bunny, rubbing and pressing, trying to force the collection of hair, skin, and dust to tangle istelf into a ball.

OOC: You can do with the hair you pull out of a hairbrush, or any collection of dust and debris particles. If you rub it together enough in your hands it works down and gets tangled into a tiny ball.

Ugh! Terrible roll! Not sure if we can use bubblegum after the roll? If so, that is what I will do.
Last edited November 6, 2015 4:21 pm

Rolls

Making a Hair/Dust ball - (1d10)

(1) = 1

Nov 6, 2015 6:44 pm
Clarence is going to leave the train on autopilot. It's a train, after all and can go where it goes because of the rails -- not like it needs someone watching it or anything. Confident in his engineering prowress he wanders back deeper into the engine, looking for a snack. It's time to build a proper, heroic sandwich. I mean.. like 3 feet tall. Inventing and working is hard work, and now that he's back on his way to San Francisco, surely he can relax.

Rolls

Making an outrageously awesome sandwich - 4 gum - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Nov 6, 2015 9:07 pm
Saul knows what he needs to do. He mounts a passing riderless horse and gallops toward the cavalry to assume command. Once done he'll take command of the Cheyenne as well, and rally his troops against the titanic dust bunny.

Rolls

kickass vs 3 gum - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Nov 7, 2015 10:11 pm
Frank starts to roll the Dust Bunny, and in its desperation, it picks up a dead horse and slaps him with it. He rocks back on his heels, and the Dust Bunny presses its advantage, flogging him with a dead horse.

(sorry, no spending gum after the fact)

Clarence, in an inventing groove, is unable to do something as prosaic as making food to eat. He keeps making sandwiches that then come to life and run around the passenger car, chittering in their own "Kahld Khat" language.

Bonny hijacks the newly-crafted train engine that Clarence created, but without exiting the Mechanical Man. Instead, she stomps over, lifts the new engine off the tracks, and miraculously hitches it to her own mount. Doubled boiler capacity lends a burst of speed as she hooks the train to her robot's waist and jogs down the tracks.
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Candi
Saul dominates all of the cavalry and Indians. He wheels his forces to see the train leaving, Luke galloping his horse after it.
Nov 8, 2015 12:46 am
The walking, chittering sandwiches are making Clarence hungry, but he feels bad about the idea of eating something that appears to have invented its own society and language. He considers, for a moment, stepping forward and attempting to gather their attention and love with, "Friends, sandwiches, countrymen. Lend me your ears." But he was never particularly deep on Shakespeare and is having problems ensuring the right meter -- and really, Caeser has nothing to do with the sandwiches, but... perhaps there's a salad he could invent...

Either way, despite his hunger, Clarence will leave the sandwiches, and sandwich-making alone. He's in an inventing grove, so it's time to invent. Some of that weird green goo he spotted somewhere might be able to co-mingle with a mechanical contraption to make food. Assuming its not poisonous anyway. Clarence marches off in search of some goo. San Fran is still a ways a way, and if he can't have a sandwich, he'll invent a meal-o-maker... a chefaton... a... hrm. The name will come later.

Rolls

Mundanely searching for some green goo. Hope it's not poisonous. 4 = - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Nov 8, 2015 3:30 pm
Clarence completely fails to find any snake oil.

But his Snack-a-tons do; running around the passenger cabin wreaking havoc like Gremlins, the living sandwiches slip in the snake oil and begin to mutate. More and more layers of cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion, salami, cucumber, tuna, egg salad, bologna, peanut butter, watercress, and many other ingredients grow onto the Snack-a-tons, elongating into monstrous Serpendwiches that attack the passengers in the train.

Frank: 3 gum
Clarence: 3 gum
Nov 10, 2015 10:03 pm
Clarence sighs. "I was hopeful that the kendo lessons I took as a youth wouldn't be something I'd have to revisit." He grabs a cavalry sword which appears to have been stuck into the side of the dining car during one of the various events that took place and stands sei-gedan, sword pointed at the sandwich monsters. "Tennouheika Banzai!" he cries and he wades in on the serpendwiches and snack-a-tons and various cold cuts and condiments. His sword flashes like a whirlwind as he turns into the ultimate machine of the julienne cut!

Rolls

Clarence goes kickass on cutting sandwiches to pieces. 3 = - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Nov 11, 2015 3:43 pm
Clarence explodes into motion, blurring through the train car in a manner that inspires a young passenger years later to invent the first motorized threshing machine. Every sandwich in the car is bisected, and each half bisected again, and each quarter bisected a third time. The Serpendwiches are ended, as well as the little bread snakes, lettuce vipers, cucumber cobras, and anabacondas that attempt to form from the pieces. But Clarence is unable to stop himself, and every piece of food, sandwich or not, is utterly destroyed by his savage sword. After several minutes, he finally stops, standing at the other end of the car, breathing heavily, a gore of yellowish paste dripping from his blade.
Nov 11, 2015 4:47 pm
Frank, despite being beaten by a dead horse (a total role reversal!), maintains enough presence of mind to realize that he has to try a different tactic. Quickly looking around for something useful he finds the corpse of Thomas, picks it up and squeezes his blood out onto his hands and uses the blood to make the dust bunny king's dust stick together. As he coats him in more and more blood from dead bodies around he should become easier to manage (or even unable to move as the blood dries into a big clump.

Rolls

Blood! - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Nov 11, 2015 4:49 pm
"Ugh. Dijon." Clarence says, flicking his sword to remove the 'blood'. It does look like there may need to be a stop somewhere in order to shore up on supplies before San Francisco, alas. More delays. He looks around, somewhat at a loss for something to do.

OOC: I didn't opt to roll, since it seems like I should await some other player moves/events. Unless waiting is mundane. :)
Nov 12, 2015 10:58 am
Nearly got it! I think as I kick the controls of the robot, smashing them to prevent further alterations to its current programming: running along the track at a good clip. I vault from the cockpit and run down the robots pumping arm, leaping from the closed fist into the front car of the train. Seeing it is unoccupied, I seize control by decoupling all non-essential cars. The train is mine.

I wasn't sure if the 'rebuilt' train had any non-essential cars.
Last edited November 12, 2015 10:58 am

Rolls

COMANDEER - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Nov 12, 2015 11:31 am
http://prints.encore-editions.com/500/0/harold-von-schmidt-western-americana-painting-cavalry-charge-1957-original-size-30x40.jpg

Having dominated this strange mix of Cheyenne braves and United States cavalry, Saul wheels his horse around (oh if Custer were still alive!). He spots several cannon mounted on caissons and gives the order to open fire on the titanic dust bunny. Then he leads his troops in a headlong charge against the monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1huPYerp0

Rolls

CHARGE! vs. 3 gum - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm
Clarence considers Bonny. "Pardon me, are you going to ensure that this engine," (seeing as he's in the converted dining car) "gets to San Francisco or do you have some other plan? It's quite unacceptable for me to miss my connection to Santa Fe." His sword continues to drip dijon.
Nov 12, 2015 8:19 pm
I shout back, "What's it worth to ya'?" I look up at the jogging mechanical man, then glance along the horizon in the rough direction to Santa Fe, if he'll pay well, maybe we could shortcut the connection.
Nov 12, 2015 8:22 pm
Clarence blinks. Money? How uncouth. He shouts back "Um, well, what do you mean, precisely? I already paid my ticket so it really doesn't seem appropriate that I should have to pay again. Is there some additional value I don't perceive being offered?" Meanwhile he'll look around the dining car for some ideas on weapons in case there's yet another altercation with this fiery brigand. Clarence is still a little bitter about his vest.
Nov 12, 2015 8:29 pm
"Well the ownership of this here train has recently changed. Can't say I'm keen to honour past ticket payments as I wasn't the recipient of the payment." I spit, and quietly thumb another bit of that delightful pink chewy stuff. I must find myself another supply when this bunch runs out, "I'd be happy to add some value, else I wouldn't be much better than the previous owners. What if I could get you on a direct route to Sante Fe? How much'd that be worth to a keen inventor such as yourself."
Nov 14, 2015 3:08 pm
"Well, that seems like quite an option." Clarence thinks. He could be early to Santa Fe. "Given that I paid $110, for my original seat -- perhaps we can call the special upgrade to Santa Fe another $100?" Clarence is certain he has the cash on hand, "Or perhaps I can invent something of use to you. But if I pay another $100 I'd prefer a first class cabin if I may.. I think several have been vacated."
Nov 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Bonny completes her unhooking the passenger cars of the train and leaps back on the robot. Without the extra load, the Mechanical Man surges forward, stomping down the tracks with the dining car strapped onto its back.

As the train disappears in the West, Naked Giant Frank begins to scoop up bodies and squish them in the Dust Bunny's face, squirting it with blood as it continues to pummel him. The dust begins to congeal and collapse as Giant Frank squeezes more and more blood onto it - sometimes from dead things, sometimes from not-dead things: snakes, horses, men, purple-robed things.

Just then, Saul arrives with the assembled cavalry of the United States and the Cheyenne nation. The charge smashes into the pair of giant combatants, knocking them down and trampling them.

Clotted, flattened, and stretched out by vast ranks of trampling hooves, the Dust Bunny is no longer recognizable, spread out across across a gory acre. Bloody Muddy Naked Giant Frank rises up, a whinnying horse clutched in each gargantuan hand, and gives a triumphant yawp that can be heard in Colorado. Saul wheels the giant line of cavalry and turns back.
Nov 15, 2015 4:04 am
Clarence frowns. "Why'd you do that?" he calls, "That included the first class cabins."
Nov 15, 2015 9:05 am
I stare at the horizon, assess the direction and shout back, "You can sit where you like. The last inventor who I worked with made me these lovely boots. I could use a new duster. Something useful for those in my line of work" I smile, thinking I should kidnap inventors more often
Nov 16, 2015 6:51 pm
Clarence nods and gets to thinking. "Well, assume that once we get to Santa Fe I can have a remarkable new duster ready for you. Those purple robed beings gave me some ideas about how to harness electricity in useful ways. Why, I wonder if I could couple that with some powered magnetic items to give you the ability to visualize and manipulate locking mechanisms..." He finds a comfortable seat and continues to consider, putting together some pretty kickass plans for a Duster of Banditry +5.
Nov 19, 2015 8:14 am
The Dust Bunny destroyed, the whirling clouds of fire dissipate, and sunlight streams through in broad beams once more. The discarded train cars sit, idle, about a half a mile to the west of the carnage. Of the Engine, there is no sign.

Luke, the gambler, checks the clasps on his valise stuffed with bank notes once more, tightens his grip on his revolver, and begins to walk slowly West, following the train tracks.
Quote:
About a year later, Luke arrived in San Francisco, missing his pistol and two of the fingers on his right hand. But he bore a satchel that contained a lump of strange metal. With the last few dollars he had left, he rented a storefront and set out his shingle as a dentist. Using molds of his own manufacture, he began to make teeth with the strange metal: false teeth the like no one in the world had seen before, that never wore out or needed repair. He made his fortune over the course of ten years, making fine teeth for the well-to-do in San Francisco, and patients came from all over the world. He built a racetrack in San Mateo, a casino in Emeryville, helped design the Winchester Mystery House, and started a university with Leland Stanford. He never told anyone where he'd got it, or what happened to him on his long trip out West. But sometimes, late in life, sitting on the grand verandah of his Upper Sunset mansion, he would look up at the stars, and smile a strange smile, all to himself.
Nov 19, 2015 8:17 am
Bonny and Clarence ride the giant Mechanical Man off into the sunset, and before too long, they realize that the robot is no longer confined to the train tracks, and so they steer it in a bee line, straight to the New Mexico Territory. It seems likely to be the start of a beautiful friendship.
Nov 19, 2015 8:19 am
Saul seeks new worlds to conquer, and so he sets his sights on empire. He wheels his cavalry of just a few dozen mounted men south, and heads to Mexico and beyond.
Nov 19, 2015 8:22 am
Ezekiel carefully wraps up the body of Billy the Snake, and takes it down to claim the reward in Lincoln County, doggedly dragging it across the prairie. He always gets his man.
Nov 19, 2015 8:27 am
Frank, his dream of fighting dust bunnies realized more completely than ever he imagined it would be, looks about at the devastation of the train, the demonic ritual, the attacks of snakes, and the crushed body of Thomas Edison. The scabrous remains of the Dust Bunny twitch and fragment. Frank observes the scuttling creatures that form from the pieces with interest, but since they are not dust bunnies, he lets them go, demonic blood beasts scuttling in all directions like so many crabs.

Drawing some curtains from the windows of the caboose, Frank fashions for himself a velvet kilt and considers whether he will stay this size so as to get to civilzation faster, or change once more.
Nov 19, 2015 8:40 am
Persimmon awakens, some time later, to the sound of a steam whistle. Another train has arrived, and stopped, letting off a work crew to remove the emptry, broken carriages. Many passengers disgruntled by the wait also alight from the train, and one of them, an older man from Connecticut, introduced himself simply as "P.T." They developed a wonderful, mutually beneficial relationship, and, eventually, love affair.
Quote:
Persimmon was the star of the traveling circus for years after that, famous for her "enduring, yet somehow cold, beauty," as one journalist from Buffalo wrote about her appearance at the Pan-American Exposition in 1901. She, too, became very wealthy, primarily from long-term investments. She disappeared from the public eye for decades, then appeared as an extra in a number of Ray Harryhausen-animated films in the 1950s and 1960s. Owning palatial homes in Vail, Paris, Pretoria, Yellowknife, and Buenos Aires, she traveled the world for more than a hundred years, but who can say whether she ever found happiness? Her pale, pale scaled skin never allows for much emotion on her perfect features. People have said that she's involved with Elon Musk; some say romantically, some say financially.
Nov 19, 2015 8:46 am
Chhun surfaces again a week later, hundreds of miles to the West, and finds to his horror that he can no longer control his transformations. Despairing of ever returning to the Emperor, Chhun considers suicide.
Quote:
Instead of killing himself, Chhun decided to take revenge on the world. Transforming himself again and again, he traveled the Americas in one form or another for a span of ten years, terrorizing communities all over both continents. In the Spanish-speaking countries, they still speak of "El Dragón" in hushed whispers, and how he steals children away at nights. Some say that he raised these children, training them, brainwashing them, and breeding them to form an elite fighting force named after a snake. But no actual evidence of the existence of this "Anaconda" organization has ever been found, and it is relegated to accounts of regional superstitions.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.