Lightsabers

Sep 30, 2015 3:53 am
Hey there,

Lightsabers are hideously expensive, but if I recall correctly (spaceseeker can probably confirm before me) the starting folios in the beginners game provide lightsabers to many of the starting characters. I'm hesitant to deny access to them with self-made characters if there's precedent in the starting folios.

If anyone feels like it'd be nice and particularly in character to have a lightsaber, I'm not against figuring that out. Remnant's Ataru Striker might be a particularly good example (?).

Thoughts? What do you folks think? I don't wanna go handing out super prime equipment, but at the same time, I think there's some precedent set in the beginner's game. On the flip side, if these characters are ones we roll into other adventures, there can be some good plot lines in getting enough money and working through the mechanics/troubles/tribulations of getting ahold of your first lightsaber (or learning how to build one).
Sep 30, 2015 4:22 am
I had noticed the cost too. Technically the rules in the corebook say you can't purchase them at the start as they are a restricted item. That being said I think if I had adjusted my morality to start I could have gained probably close to enough money to buy only that. I just chose to start with some cheap starter equipment, unless you want to give us a saber. A shinto would have been great for my class which is essentially described in the book as a sith hunter.

That being said I'm find starting with my vibrodagger and concealable blaster. If we do continue on I would love to keep the character and have him earn, build, or hopefully steal, his first lightsaber from a downed sith or something.

As of now my character only taps into the force to conceal himself more. It would be interesting story wise to see the first time he encounters a lightsaber and feels the force more.

If we wanted to do the beginner adventure we could all start with them, and then somehow lose them due to some story plot point. Then we continue on trying to get new ones as we go.
Sep 30, 2015 6:06 am
Confirmed: two of the four characters have backgrounds that detail why they have lightsabers (they were not purchased); the other two (including my character Kaveri) have more mundane equipment (Dao only has a walking stick!).

As a GM, I like PhantomNimbus' idea of having the items and then losing them. As a player, however, I feel no need to have a lightsaber. My primary experience with Star Wars role-playing is from the WEG system, in which no one could play a Jedi, so the whole idea of playing with Force powers is novel/alien to me.
Sep 30, 2015 12:00 pm
Yeah and Force and Destiny is all force sensitive characters, but it does state they are a restricted and non-purchase able item in the core book for character creation. As of now I don't think I could find a valid enough reason to have a light saber, unless I have been a shadow for some time. Shadows are apparently a type of sith hunter. So I could have taken one from a sith I destroyed. But it makes more sense I think that I'm at the beginning of my journey to that moment.
Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Lightsabers are a thing, and they're powerful (maybe not the biggest damage dealer but it's iconic and it should for the most part have people thinking either Jedi! or crazy person with plasma sword run!, but it's highly customized to a specific Jedi and is a representation of who they are no?

In a campaign I can see a component (No idea what the fix or mod lightsaber skill would be) as a mission reward with some minor credits possibly and as a force user that uses a lightsaber.

From the meta standpoint it makes sense for the starter beginner's box to have characters 'out the gate' with lightsabers some people will go "Oh Lightsaber character! Mine! Mine" *insert sound effects here* (Note age of player could vary from 5-50 and still apply). It's a draw, creating a character from scratch and discovery of what you are versus the 'My father was a Jedi, his father was a Jedi, his aunt on his mom's side was a Jedi' I think it's okay since it's something you build on. That said I can see why Jedi would have no lightsaber or not use it all the time, it draws attention to you being a Jedi.

I'm okay with working towards a lightsaber later in a campaign and for a one shot being without one is okay.

Thread locked