Read/Unread indicators aren't distinguishable

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 25, 2014 4:20 pm
I'm moderately color blind, and have trouble distinguishing small amounts of red or green, like in the icon for read/unread threads. The problem is that the amount of red in the "unread" indicator is too small for me to reliably distinguish it, and the gray in the "read" indicator is close to the red in brightness.

Easy to fix - just make sure that there's a strong *brightness* difference between the colors used in the two icons, and maybe use images that differ in more than just color. The difference between the "read" and "important" icons is fine, for example, because "important" has a bunch of white in it, and a different pattern on the icon.
Oct 25, 2014 4:40 pm
Thanks for the notes; I'm not much of a designer, and neglect details like this. I'll look at adjusting the brightness, or finding an entirely different color schema to work with.
Oct 25, 2014 9:54 pm
what if you added a halo type deal around the unread symbol, like a corona effect so you can tell it's new and shiny?

would that be something less confusing for you and also fancy, TabAtkins?
Oct 26, 2014 3:49 pm
Honestly anything that changes the shape a little bit is great; it makes it way easier to see the difference peripherally when I'm just scanning topics.

But a sufficient brightness change in colors is also sufficient, if Keleth wants to keep his current icons as they are.
Oct 31, 2014 4:22 am
I've cleaned up the icons and made the difference brighter. Does that work? If not, I'll prob look into changing the icons entirely.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.