Pathfinder 1E: Aftermath

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 7, 2019 10:40 pm
Aftermath

The War of the Mage Kings has ended, and the world must pick up its shattered pieces and determine how to put them back together – if they even can be. Nations that stood strong and proud for hundreds of years have descended into chaos, mountains have been leveled, maps strangely are no longer correct as entire regions of the continent are no longer recognizable or are simply… gone. Many say the world itself is ending.

The only refuge from the destruction is Meriava, The Shining City, saved by the combined powers of the Masters of the School of Seven Stones. The School and the city it calls home have stood independent of the shifting tides of nations and societies that surround it for hundreds of years. The School has long been a place of peace, a place where all races could come to learn, study, negotiate, and grow free from the interference of politics, religion or economics. Or at least, that’s what the Masters of the School would like the world to think…

Now, as the only remnant of a once-thriving world filled with the wonders of unfettered magic use, will the School’s role in the world change? Will it hide in the safety of the Shining City and ignore the world around it? Will it too crumble under the weight of ecological and societal collapse? Will it seek to push back against the decline of the world? What secrets do the Masters hide?

This will be a sandbox-style homebrew campaign using Pathfinder 1E where the players’ actions will determine the future of the world. Expect a combination of many different kinds of action: hexcrawl-style exploration, political and social intrigue, good old-fashioned dungeon crawls, etc. It is intended to be a long-term campaign. The setting is inspired somewhat by Stephen King’s Dark Tower series, in which "the world has moved on", but it will not be all grim all the time. There will be plenty of good and bad, and a good sense of humor and a positive outlook can sometimes make the difference in saving the world.

What am I looking for in a player group?

* Creative people who are interested in collaborating with me and other players on developing rich character stories and world lore through roleplay.
* People who know the value of both a long, detailed post and a one-line post, and when each is appropriate.
* People who are up for potentially a long campaign and are committed to posting consistently (at least once a day).

What am I not looking for in a player group?

* Pathfinder experience. I run a Pathfinder campaign for kids ranging from 1st grade to 5th grade, none of whom had played before. I can probably help you. :)
* Power gamers and min-maxers. Pathfinder lends itself sometimes to people who want to squeeze every possible advantage out of every corner of the rules. This isn’t the game for those people.

Character Generation

See the Character Creation Guidelines for campaign-specific limitations for classes, races and other aspects of character creation.

Broadly speaking, I'm limiting things to the 1E Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, and Ultimate Magic sourcebooks. See the document for more specifics.

If you think you’re interested, please take a look at the at Player’s Guide and message me a character idea and any backstory you think is appropriate. Players will be accepted on an invitation basis. Please feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them as quickly as I can.
Last edited March 7, 2019 10:41 pm
Mar 7, 2019 10:53 pm
Man, this is tempting!
Mar 7, 2019 10:53 pm
Naatkinson says:
Man, this is tempting!
Yeah, what would that be... game #87 for you? :)
Mar 7, 2019 10:54 pm
78RPMLife says:
Naatkinson says:
Man, this is tempting!
Yeah, what would that be... game #87 for you? :)
Something like that :P
Mar 7, 2019 10:54 pm
I'm really not playing in many, though. It's mostly just running them that I do, but this one is really tempting...
Mar 8, 2019 12:03 am
I am interested in this as well but will defer to others if they would like to play instead.
Mar 8, 2019 4:34 am
This sounds really good! I've skimmed the documents and I'll be thinking about possible character concepts at work. I'll send you a message later today
Mar 8, 2019 6:13 pm
By request, I'm also opening up the background skills system for use in the campaign, which has been added to the character creation guidelines.

If you're interested, I encourage you to send in a character idea. If for some reason there's a lot of interest, I'm open to considering running two parties. The campaign lends itself to that.
Last edited March 8, 2019 6:16 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.