The Whispering Sea

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 8, 2019 6:21 am
The Whispering Sea Map because I haven’t quite figured out how to insert images yet.

History:
In the beginning there were the primordial forces, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Light and Darkness. For a thousand years the Primals sang the Song of Creation, bringing light to the darkness and order to the chaos thus forging the universe. One day the song ended and the Primals departed our realm forever.

When the Primals disappeared their servants rose to fill the void and thus it was that the Gods of the mortal races came to by. At first the Gods continued the work of the Primals, creating plants, animals, land and sea and eventually servants of their own. Soon the Gods grew vain and petty, jealous of one another and thus it was that the god war began. Alliances were forged, broken and forged anew, Gods died by the hundreds and the moral races were very nearly made extinct. The God war finally ended when Selene, Goddess of the Moon, sacrificed herself to cast a spell that would sunder the heavens thus banishing the remaining Gods from the mortal realm forever.

With their natural affinity for magic the earliest mortal kingdoms to rise belonged to the Elves and for thousands of years they maintained a stranglehold over the lands of Soulesia and then as quickly as they appeared the Elven kingdoms vanished beneath the azure waters of the Whispering Sea.

Over the last millennia dozens of kingdoms have risen and fallen on the lands that surround the Azure sea, these are the ones that remain.

Realms:
Abidos, The land of the living Sun, lies along the Western most shores of the sea. Nestled along the fertile banks of the Tyba river and dating back as far as the Elven realms, Abidos is by far the oldest human civilization and the breadbasket of the region. The God King Memnos is widely believed to be immortal.

Koriphius was once home to a powerful empire that spanned much of the northern and western reaches of the Whispering Sea. A hundred years ago a virulent plague swept through the heartland of the empire killing as much as 80% of the population. Whole cities were emptied as the plague spread faster than the priests could cure it, faster than its victims could be buried. Abandoned towns filled with the bones of their former inhabitants are all that remain of this once proud nation. It is said that not even the dead can find peace in these corrupted lands.

The Crimson Sands are nominally under the control the God King of Abidos, but who can really claim to assert power over the nomadic tribes of this trackless dune sea. Legends speak of the remains of an Elven kingdom buried beneath the burning sands.

The Delian League is a collection of semi independent city states running from the Kepalon Peninsula and through the central island chain. The Delians are independent thinking pragmatists who, despite their differences seem to have a knack for coming together during times of hardship.

The Nemodian Steppes are home to the few remaining free Elf clans around the Whispering Sea. Following the collapse of the Elven kingdoms during the sundering the Elves that survived were blamed for the disaster and hunted to near extinction by their former subject races. A handful of survivors fled south and continue to live a semi nomadic lifestyle in the steppes.

Urgurak is both the name of the region and the city located along the Whispering Sea’s Northern coast. Urgurak is a land of horsemen, orcish tribes and barbarian clans. The city itself is sacred ground and all outside disputes end within its walls upon pain of death. The Winterjack mountains are said to be the home of innumerable dragons and a handful of lost Dwarvish cities.

Cities:
Dionia - The beating religious heart of the Whispering Sea, Dionia is believed to be the last place the goddess Selene touched before splitting the heavens from the mortal plane. The Oracles of Diona a gifted with sight and prophecy and it is the dream of most to travel at least once in their lifetime to Dionia and be blessed with an Oracle’s vision.

Freemantle - Gateway to the southern jungles and the Xolitec Empire. Freemantle is a haven for pirates and slavers, it’s markets are filled with exotic spices, animals and the dregs of society. Freemantle also does a booming business in blood sports with the largest arena on the shores of the Whispering Sea, anything and everything is for sale in Freemantle.

Kepalos - The military heart of the Delian League, all citizens of Kepalos join the military at age 15 and serve continuously until they turn 31. On their 13th birthday every citizen is evaluated and separated according to their specific talents and trained for 2 years prior to entering the military.

Keyhold Fortress - The abode of a once powerful order of warriors and paladins charged with defending the northern frontier and providing safe passage through the north central regions of the sea, Keyhold has fallen upon hard times of late. Their ranks devastated buy the same plague that laid low Koriphius the warriors of Keyhold are barely capable of controlling their own peninsula.

Meniphis - Home to the God King Memnos, Meniphis is a sprawling city of temples and tombs. A vast necropolis containing the remains of nobles and courtiers dominates the lands just beyond the fertile river valley. A vast funerary complex was built centuries ago on the Northern bank of the River Ptolmec to house the mortal remains of the God King but he has yet to take up residence.

Mistport - At the mouth of the Saurian River and within the Emerald Swamp lies the city of Mistport. Following the Saurian River south one eventually arrives at the Karazhan mountains home of last remaining Dwarven Kingdom, Azhadmere. Mistport is one of the few places left where one can obtain truly authentic items of Dwarven craftsmanship.

Necora - Once a city of millions named Korphireus, Necora is a somber reminder of the virulence of the Ashen Death. Large tracts of the city are filled with the bleached bones of the dead abandoned and unburied. Many of the city’s major and minor gates were sealed a century ago and remain closed to this day, only the harbour district remains open and those who remain are quiet and introspective.

Symestria - A centre of magical learning and home to the Witch Queen Arabella, the city of Symestria has been around in one form or another since before the cataclysm that destroyed the Elf kingdoms. It is rumored that a fount of incredible magical power dating back to the god war exists somewhere on the island, many have given their lives searching in vain for it.

Urgurak - Built upon the ruins of an ancient Elvish stronghold Urgurak is the heart of the barbarian steppes. While the site is occupied year round by craftsmen and traders once a year at the spring equinox there is a moot attended by the strongest clans in the steppes, they renew alliances, forge new agreements, eat, drink and make plans for the year to come. Once every 10 years there is a high moot attended by all the clans of the steppes where they elect a new high warlord.

So, what am I looking for in the game?

People who want to have a good time, understand that PbP is more about roleplaying and less about cracking skulls simply due to the nature of the game.

It is my intention to post, at least once a day barring unforseen complications of life. I will have the decency to let you know if I’m out for a bit ASAP.

I’m looking for players with an understanding of the rules but I am not interested in fighting with a bunch of min/max players, it’s all about having fun and telling a good story.
Mar 8, 2019 6:24 am
Okay, what game system are you using?
Mar 8, 2019 2:46 pm
Pathfinder 3.5, yay HumbleBundle... straight up. i’ve not GM’d Pathfinder before but I have GM’d a lot in the past so it’s merely the rules that are new to me and lets face it in PbP the mechanics are less immediate.
Mar 8, 2019 11:41 pm
Smiles. I have a PC ready for The Whispering Sea now.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.