Game Philosophy

Mar 9, 2019 3:50 am
I just want to make a few statements on my philosophy on how I'd like to run things, and what I'm hoping to get from everyone:

1. I admit very freely that I believe in drawing inspiration from the players' RP. That goes for developing future adventures, RP hooks, campaign lore, IC problem solving and so forth. I read what you write and adapt it for use in the future.

2. This is a) my first time running a PBP game and b) my first time running a sandbox-style campaign. I am absolutely open to questions, suggestions, comments and discussion from my test subjects. :)

3. From time to time, I will establish a post order, which I'll explain when it becomes necessary. This is primarily to keep a thread from getting 40 posts by the time I'm able to check it, or other players can join in, etc. I've played with some of you in games that are super active and super fast and I LOVE them. There will be times during the upcoming spring, however, when I'm going to be very busy. April is a hugely busy month for me at work and for my three kids, who all play baseball. When it's necessary, I'll establish a post order but also try to provide opportunities for side RP.

4. For combat situations, it will primarily be theater-of-the-mind. I trust you all to handle your positioning through RP without having to descend into a rules negotiation. Players will roll initiative individually, enemies as a group, and the first round will occur in initiative order. All rounds afterward will be determined by average player initiative for the player group, and compared to enemy initiative. When it's the players' turn, you can post in any order.

5. I don't anticipate this will be a problem, but I'm expecting roughly a post a day. If for some reason you know you'll be absent for a time, or even if you're taken by surprise by a sudden demand on your time, just let me know. I won't judge. I know how it goes. If you're gone for two weeks without any notification, I'll put your character into hiatus through reasonable IC consequences.
Mar 10, 2019 3:12 am
I'm new to this as well, but this all makes sense and sounds reasonable. Looking forward to getting started!
Mar 11, 2019 4:02 am
Looking forward to it!
Mar 11, 2019 4:31 pm
Sounds great!
Mar 11, 2019 4:33 pm
Cosign!
Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm
Sounds good - for times when it gets busy, I might post some contingency actions into a post, as I am in Australia, so timezone can occasionally be problematic (that said, my primary posting times of before work, and in the evening tend to line up pretty well in ym experience.
Jun 3, 2019 5:21 pm
So, something that comes up from time to time that I think I need to state clearly:

If you're familiar with Pathfinder rules about just about anything: class abilities, monsters, spells, etc. and so on, you will probably find yourself trying to equate things I post with something in the rules that you're familiar with. So far, I've played a little fast and loose with what's technically possible and available within the rules, simply because I'm more committed to the campaign world fitting my vision than having it fits the rules 100%.

I'll take the horses in the shadow plane as an example. That was actually a spell called Shadowy Haven. If you visit that link, you'll see that spell actually comes from the Advanced Race Guide, which technically isn't "fair game" for this campaign, and even that spell description didn't entirely fit what I used IC. You can safely say that Jacira's ability to sense magic users is not RAW either.

However:

I promise that I will not intentionally use my powers for evil. If you see something that I do that you feel unfairly tilts the balance away from the players, tell me. Honestly.

I promise that I will try my very best to only do this for narrative purposes, not life-and-death matters.

I promise that if there's something you want to do that fits the campaign world really well but doesn't have a RAW way to do it, I will at least consider it. However, my decisions are final, simply because we can't afford to descend into a rule-lawyering dispute.

Anything else you'd like clarification on regarding this?
Jun 3, 2019 5:54 pm
I trust you my man. No need for explanation, you do you.
Jun 3, 2019 6:00 pm
You're the DM. Short of Mary-Sue-ing at us, I'm not worried.
Jun 3, 2019 6:14 pm
I'm completely fine with this. I do it all the time, too. You might not have noticed but while the Veron's were loosely based on the brain worms, I gave myself a lot of freedom with their abilities in regards to RAW L&F

I just enjoy speculating but I don't mind if I'm wrong
Last edited June 3, 2019 6:14 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.