Chapter 1 Side RP - The Jocular Marmoset (Day 1)

Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm
OOC:
Figured enough people were interested that we could stop OOC posting in a story thread. I hope that's okay, 78. I named it how you said to.
Last edited March 20, 2019 5:04 pm
Mar 20, 2019 7:18 pm
Yelnar drops Ember off at the Jocular Marmoset. A thought springs to his mind. "Ember, have you ever used a weapon? What do you prefer?"
Mar 20, 2019 7:20 pm
She shrugs.

I've got my walking stick. I've fired a hand crossbow. And I punch things. But I am not good with melee.

Also...don't tell my boss I have a hand crossbow.
Mar 21, 2019 4:10 am
lavtodd says:
She shrugs.

I've got my walking stick. I've fired a hand crossbow. And I punch things. But I am not good with melee.

Also...don't tell my boss I have a hand crossbow.
"Hmm, if you've used a hand crossbow I should be able to get you something a little bigger and we can learn as we go. For melee, I'll try and get you something simple to work with then."
Mar 21, 2019 4:49 am
At one point, Viani enters the tavern, carrying a large, seemingly empty backback and a long, thin package wrapped in cloth.
She walks up to Ember and Yelnar. "Hello, my traveling companions! How are you? Have you already started packing?"
Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am
Ember shrugs, but grins.

This is pretty much everything I have. Tace'll be able to get me a couple other trinkets. I should tell him I'm leaving....
Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm
"I still haven't bought anything. There's so much we might need. I did manage to snatch this, however!" She points at the long package she has. "It's my training ranseur. I just need to get it sharpened. I've never actually used a sharp weapon before."
Mar 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Ember's eyes light up.

Man, you must be so strong. Can I see? Can I?
Mar 21, 2019 12:34 pm
Viani throws some secretive looks around the tavern and then carefully unwraps the top part of her weapon. It looks old and dull with visible marks where it had come in contact with other weapons over the years it had been in use.
"It's amazing, isn't it?" Her eyes are shining with excitement. "What weapon will you use?"
Mar 21, 2019 12:38 pm
Woah........I've got a staff and a hand crossbow. Yelnar seems to think those aren't good enough, but! My magic's my best bet anyway.

She looks up.

How do you manage that thing! I thought magic wasn't possible with clunky things.
Last edited March 21, 2019 12:38 pm
Mar 21, 2019 12:52 pm
Viani frowns at the mention of magic. "You shouldn't rely so much on spells. You've seen what magic has done to this world. The only reliable thing if we get into a fight are our own muscles!"
She lets her hand wander over the dull points of her weapon. "Yelnar is right. You should practice a bit with a better weapon before we have to leave."
Mar 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Ember's face darkens. She seems to know more about that than you thought.

I know. I just want to use it for good, for once.

She smiles.

Do you really think a day will make a difference? I kinda have noodle arms.
Last edited March 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Mar 21, 2019 1:46 pm
"Maybe I can show you some things. I've never been in a real fight but in order to qualify for ranseur class, I had to go through quarterstaff training and I think I still remember some bits. I'm sure it's fine if we start the training tomorrow, though!" She smiles and winks at Ember. "There's no point in fighting with noodle arms!"
Mar 21, 2019 1:53 pm
Ember nods.Heh. Between you and Yelnar, I'm gonna end up in the thick of it. You know humans are squishy, right?

She wiggles her "noodle arms" and lets little flower designs skitter across them.

My noodles matter. I think I'd rather you taught me how not to get stabbed!
Mar 21, 2019 2:05 pm
Viani doesn't like Ember's casual use of magic but doesn't comment on it. "I guess we can do that."
Suddenly her expression goes blank and with a nervous undertone, she asks: "Have you told everyone that you're leaving yet?"
Mar 21, 2019 2:13 pm
Ember cocks her head.

I have to tell Tace, my boss. Which, he was here when I got the letter, so he's probably figured it out anyway. I don't really have anyone else. Well, that isn't going on this trip. You?
Mar 21, 2019 2:19 pm
"I wanted to go home and tell my mom and dad... but I haven't yet. They'll be devastated when they find out I'm leaving the city." Viani forces herself to smile but it's very obviously fake. She wraps the ranseur back up into its cloth packaging. "They don't have anyone else left..."
Mar 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Ember stands up, which, may or may not be impressive depending on how tall Viani is when she's sitting.

Are you kidding! They have you! An adventurer! A future legend! The Council will take care of them just like the army takes care of families whose children go to war. Viani, you're going to provide hope for this entire city. You heard the elder chick. She wants us to help rebuild the world. How can that possibly be distressing!
OOC:
There's a lot of propaganda here, but she's trying to encourage Viani.

Not sure if that was a roll since it's a lie to a player, so I rolled just to be safe. Take it as you will, Viani, but I assume this is high enough that at least Ember seems genuine.
Last edited March 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Rolls

Bluff the courage! +8 - (1d20+8)

(15) + 8 = 23

Mar 21, 2019 2:35 pm
Viani looks at the younger girl, surprised by the sudden burst of energy. She can't help but be carried on her wave of enthusiasm and she smiles briefly. "I guess. It's just... They wanted me to take over the family business when I'm older. They were already not excited about my choice to go to the college but it was only supposed to be for a few years. But now this. Who knows how long..."
She trails off for just a moment and then suddenly turns to stare right into Ember's eyes. "What if we'll never come back?"
Mar 21, 2019 2:55 pm
Ember is taken aback by the intensity of the question. She had been trying hard not to think about that.

Well, I mean....we could die any day, right?

She strokes her neck and arm, referring to her burns.

Sometimes people come back. Sometimes they don't. Even here.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.