Chapter Side RP - Day 1 - Yelnar's Family

Mar 22, 2019 1:39 am
After he has carried out the tasks at hand, he slowly makes his way towards his families' residence in the city. He slowly ascends the stairs to his Fathers study, knocks on the door, and waits to be asked to enter before going in.

"Hello Father, I assume you will have heard I am to be a part of expedition?"
He pauses, waiting for an acknowledgement before seeing his fathers usual expression of impatience. "It appears we will be heading straight for the area near the Summer Estates, do you have any messages you would like me to pass on to Mother if she is still there?"
[ +- ] OOC
Mar 22, 2019 2:00 am
OOC:
Want me to play the other side, or did you have someone in mind to take care of that?
Mar 22, 2019 4:31 am
Roddald sits behind a broad table, heavy books spread out before him, sheets of parchment scattered here and there in untidy piles. He looks up as Yelnar enters, but finishes writing the line of notes he was working on before he was interrupted. That done, he steeples his hands in front of his mouth and stares at Yelnar for a long moment. "It is good you can be of some use," is what he finally says, the implication clear: he hasn't been very useful so far.
Mar 22, 2019 10:40 am
Feeling frustrated, and realising he will not have to put up with this much longer, Yelnar says "We are to leave via the South Gate tomorrow morning, if you would like a message delivered, leave it in my room this evening, I still have other preparations to complete. Is Falo in?"
Mar 22, 2019 4:05 pm
"Your mother was at the breeding grounds when last I spoke with her. It is not for lack of trying that I have failed to get in touch with her or your brothers. These Stones-cursed wards may have saved the city, but they've destroyed lives just as effectively as the War would have," says Roddald acidly, his face twisting in scorn. "If you will be traveling that way, tell her we still live, and we still think of her. Bring her back, if you can. I know not what the Masters expect you to do, but..."

The older man trails off, staring across at his son. "This is your chance to distinguish yourself, Yelnar. Despite your... inability to..." he says, again trailing off. His features tighten briefly, evidence of some internal struggle. "Your ancestor helped to found the School. Your family has served Whitestone College faithfully ever since. It may be time, however, to question whether Elmyar's legacy has run its course. All institutions crumble. The wise make certain they are not crushed beneath their weight when they collapse."

He searches Yelnar's face for signs that the boy understands the subtext of that statement.
Mar 22, 2019 9:34 pm
Yelnar stumbles a little and comes to a halt as the impact of his fathers words hit home. He looks up for a moment, clearly lost in thought, then he rolls his shoulders, cracks his neck, turns and nods to his father, before continuing on.

He looks for his brother Falo, also trapped within the wards. He goes to his room, but he is not there. He asks one of the servants, and she tells him he is out on business. Yelnar knows Falo tends to conduct business at the Thoughtful Squirrel, a tavern largely catering to those in the realm of business.

Yelnar makes his way there. His brother is indeed present, appearing to be in the middle of making a deal, talking to some potential customers about returns on investment, and rates of conversion. Not wanting to disrupt his brothers flow, Yelnar settles in to a booth in the back corner, orders a meal and a drink, and asks the waiter to pass a message on for his brother to meet him once his business is complete.
Mar 22, 2019 9:45 pm
Falo apparently feels no immediacy in responding to his brother's request, given the length of time it takes before he arrives at Yelnar's table. "Brother!" he says, all outward good cheer at finding Yelnar here. "I hear rumors that you're to be allowed outside the wards."

He sits across the table from his brother, and waves away a waiter without looking at him. "Any truth to those rumors?"

The question is phrased casually, but the careful way in which Falo watches his brother and listens for the response is not.
Mar 24, 2019 6:43 am
Yelnar is unsurprised at the amount of time his brother takes. "Yes, Falo, and the first place we’re going is the summer estates"

He looks into the top of mug of ale, barely touched, and says

"I always thought it was you guys I was training to protect, but it turns out I’ve been training for an entirely different task. The world is not without irony."
Mar 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Falo lifts his eyebrows, his lips twitch, as he keeps from saying what immediately comes to mind. The two have never been close, but they also have never been at each other’s throats. "It seems like something you would be good at, Yelnar."

"Father thinks Mother is at the summer estates... is that why you’re headed there first? For the horses?" asks Falo quietly. "Do you... have a way of... letting us know if she is all right?". He seems oddly hesitant to ask the question, as forthright as he usually is.
Mar 25, 2019 10:14 am
"None, though I would be surprised if Father didn't if one was possible." Yelnar thinks about it some more. "I suspect actually, that the simplest would be sending Mother herself, but I will need to check if that would be OK." He looks down at the ground for a while then says "O-of course, that is assuming she is OK...."
Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm
Falo lets out a quiet laugh. "Whatever happened during the War, whatever disaster has befallen the world outside, Mother would not allow it to impact her in any way she did not deem proper," he says dryly. "She has always been... formidable, our mother. Still, if you can let us know, I would be grateful. I think Father would be grateful as well."

"And if you can let us know how you are, that would also be good." It's not strictly an afterthough, adding that last bit, but it also didn't come immediately to Falo's lips to be spoken.
Mar 26, 2019 12:51 am
His spirits lifted by his brothers words, Yelnar has a slight sniffle, says "Thanks Falo" and offers his brother his hand to shake before heading back to the house and his room for a good nights sleep, having realised his activities have taken a fair while longer than he had thought or intended.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.