Read other people's games?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 22, 2019 10:15 am
Hi everyone!

I'm very new to this site and still in the process of figuring out how everything works. However, I'm cannot claim to be new to PBP games since I've been playing them for years really, just different websites. One thing I got used to was the ability to read other people's games without being the actual player. I found that feature both enjoyable and useful, i.e. for vetting new players for your own game. However, I cannot figure out how to do it here (and if it's even possible). Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks!
Mar 22, 2019 12:09 pm
If you click Forums you should see a toggle switch for "Show public games." If that's green, you should be able to view public forums. Hope that helps! :-)
Mar 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Are there any public games at the moment?
Because mine is set to green but there's only the games I'm in there
Mar 22, 2019 12:23 pm
There are plenty of public games. They should be there. Here are a few links for you:
Out of the Abyss
Old School Module Series
Iellos 5e (Megadungeon)
Sword Coast Swashbuckling
[Pathfinder] Rise of the Runelords
The Savage Sea

Those take you to the Game Details page for each game. Click the Forum link on the bottom red bar to access each game's forum.
Last edited March 22, 2019 12:24 pm
Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm
Welcome Vertigo! The public games feature is currently disabled as it was putting a TON of load on the server. I'm still looking for solutions, but in the mean time, you can go to the game search, make sure to select "Show full games" and you can look around for that.
Mar 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Thank you for the welcoming!

Kinda sad that I cannot be in "read only" mode for some time before committing myself to a game, but it is what it is.
Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm
Hello and welcome! You can only read other people's game if they've set it to public. Private games cannot be accessed by non-players.
Mar 22, 2019 10:03 pm
Vertigo says:
Kinda sad that I cannot be in "read only" mode for some time before committing myself to a game, but it is what it is.
Any public game can be read; sorry if I was unclear. It's just not super easy to get to the game. You have to search for games in the game list, go to their details, and then hit forum. I definitely want to improve that, but it'll likely happen in v2 :/

Len

Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm
Hey, welcome Vertigo! That's an interesting way of vetting new players. I don't really have any suggestion for how to do that here. Mostly I see people selecting players based on first-come-first-serve or they have formed a circle of contacts over many months that they run most of their games in, including new players from time to time. I've also seen people ask for character concepts and evaluate players based on their submission. How else do people vet potential players?

Feel free to join us on the official GP Discord server. If you start a conversation about this topic, I'd bet you get some interesting answers.

Hope to roll dice with you some day!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.