Mapping worlds

Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm
Often, a dungeon or building map can be like LEGOs, where things are somewhat square and pieces can be changed and mixed and matched. Building an overworld map, a continental map, or even something organic like a cavern, is a different beast.

Do you make overworld maps? Do you use a tool for them? Have any thoughts/tips/advice?
Oct 12, 2015 7:58 pm
I draw maps by hand.

I start with the rough shape of the continent (or just the local area, if I'm pressed for time). Then I add in mountains. From the mountains, I draw in rivers. From that, I can consider where forests, swamps, and grasslands would go, as well as putting more detail into the coast where the rivers run into the sea. Given the waterways, I can also draw in major port cities (if any), and then I can draw in roads if the area is settled/inhabited by sentients. I try to imagine what sort of settlements/establishments would form at the crossroads.

Often as I am drawing this stuff, I'm coming up with ideas for the history of the region: how nations and settlements grew and fell over centuries, and how sentient efforts (nations, gods, and/or powerful mortals) affected the topography/geography (creation of deserts as in Lebanon or Easter Island, spell-wracked areas in fantasy settings, areas of fallout in post-apocalyptic settings, etc). Sometimes I start with history, and that affects my drawing, and sometimes it's the reverse.
Oct 12, 2015 10:37 pm
I would love to draw maps, but I am awful at it. I have a tendency to think in straight lines, which does not make a good world map lol
Oct 13, 2015 2:41 pm
If you build a world with no curved edges it makes perfect sense though.
Oct 13, 2015 7:34 pm
A quick Google search can give you a lot of good tips on how to make a world map...
Oct 15, 2015 4:12 am
I used to use Campaign Cartographer for my maps. Pretty powerful set of tools that were actually fun to use. That said, this is my first real foray back into Pen and Paper in a long while, so I haven't had a recent need. If I did, I'd probably start to nose around those tools since they worked well and gave me a lot of options and power without having to be an awesome artist.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.