Collaborative RPG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 26, 2019 9:30 pm
I've had this thought running through my head for a while. You might remember the Twitch Plays Pokemon.

What if we did a similar thing as a group with an RPG? Now, obviously, we couldn't run through every single post that someone made, especially if they're contradictory, but we could take the most popular response, or an average of responses, depending on the situation.

Would anyone care to contribute to a game like this? We'd start with character creation, and go from there.
Mar 26, 2019 9:35 pm
Sounds like fun~
Mar 26, 2019 10:01 pm
I'd be interested in hearing more details.
Mar 26, 2019 10:16 pm
Sounds interesting, anymore details?
Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm
Well, a lot of the details would come as we decide what to run (which will also, naturally, be up to a vote).

Essentially, the game would be split into a front-end and a back-end. On the front-end, it's a solo game. One character, one story.

On the back-end, there's two mechanisms. Where it makes sense (e.g. when questions are being asked, when there's a lot of time to do things without risk) all options are explored to the extent possible. If you're familiar with D&D, this is basically any time when you could take twenty. When there's danger or no time available for exploring all options, it goes to a vote, and the most popular option wins. (You vote by posting what you think the character should do; options that are very similar would get combined if possible.)
Last edited March 26, 2019 10:25 pm
Mar 26, 2019 10:30 pm
Hi everyone, this sounds like an interesting idea! If there's a lot of people, it may be easier to actually have various characters and split the players. Also, given no-risk situation requires every possible scenario suggested to be solved, we could consider a twist of having different players GMing each result, instead of having this massive burden on a single person. More unpredictability and more unexpected twists! Last suggestion would be to consider limiting the "risk" options and having a poll run, so it is easier to determine what to do. For example, to decide which enemy to attack, a post linking to a poll is enough, instead of having a post per player
Mar 26, 2019 10:33 pm
Ah! And what about time zones? I think Cesar here made a poll that suggests most players are from te US. How to coordinate this game with everyone else?
Mar 26, 2019 10:33 pm
Those are both good ideas. I think we might end up doing that in some situations. I am going to try to keep the viable options in check though.
Mar 26, 2019 10:37 pm
About half of those who took part in the poll were american, while the rest came from around the world~
We could do that with time delays, with a longer delay on more important decisions (maybe up to a day until something would be picked) so that people from all over the world are able to participate in their normal online times.
Mar 26, 2019 10:39 pm
I'm going to allow time for everyone to post.

I've got two options:

1) Set a specific time, such as 5pm CST (I'm in CST, so I'm going to use that) and then make sure that I don't post until that time AFTER 24 hours have passed. So if my last post was at 6pm on Monday, I will not post again until 5pm Wednesday.
2) Set a specific time and post after that time each day as long as a minimum of replies have been reached. So again, with a time off 5pm CST, and a minimum of replies of 4, if I posted at 5pm Monday, and had only 3 replies by 5pm Tuesday, I would not post until Wednesday. However if I had 5 replies, I'd post Tuesday.

I like the second option, but... VOTE HERE
Mar 26, 2019 10:41 pm
(Heading home for the evening, might read tonight, might not. Typically, I do this at work.)
Mar 27, 2019 7:21 pm
Alright, I got 4 votes for a minimum number of replies needed before moving on, and that's a majority, so that's what we'll do. The next question is, of course, setting and system.

The link is the same: VOTE
Mar 27, 2019 7:22 pm
By the way, if you're reading this, and you want to know if there's room, the answer is YES. There will always be room for someone to join the story.
Mar 29, 2019 9:31 pm
The results are in, and it is fantasy d20. Now, I'm noticing something, and I'd like input on it, but when I use the polls, it's a bit... quiet here. I'm thinking because there's less direct engagement, I'll use the polls sparingly.

Also, which fantasy d20?
- D&D 3.5
- D&D 4e
(not doing d&d 5e, not comfortable enough with it)
- 13th Age
- Some version of OSR
- Cypher
Last edited March 29, 2019 10:29 pm
Mar 29, 2019 10:16 pm
True, I think the polls are probably more relevant if there are many of us participating, so things don't get out of hand. How many are voting at the moment? If the idea is the same as the Twitch Pokemon, then we may want to do some more advertisement on GP to get more participants
Mar 29, 2019 10:52 pm
I mean, I don't care about getting a thousand people or whatever, the idea is just to run one character on a consensus basis. That being said, I wouldn't mind more, but I'm not the best at advertising things. I don't really know what else to do other than post it up like this.
Mar 30, 2019 12:06 am
I think this is the best "advertising space" on GP. If people are going to see it it will be here.

As for which fantasy d20...I would down vote 4e D&D, I don't feel it works in PbP because it has to much focus on the grid and tactics.

I would up vote 3.5 or Cypher...I really like the 13th Age Icons...and the One Unique thing...so I guess I up vote that also.

If D&D...what setting? Cypher and 13th Age sort of come pre-loaded with their own unique tropes, D&D has multiple worlds that add a flavor depending on the setting. Eberron is more pulpy than say Forgotten Realms high fantasy, and Dark Sun is post-apocalypse flavored, or Ravenloft for a "gothic horror" spin. I don't know what to call Greyhawk, it just seems more generic fantasy than all the others...like vanilla ice cream. Not saying that Greyhawk or vanilla ice cream are bad...just that they are sort of the default.
Apr 1, 2019 6:16 pm
OOC:
Quorum not reached; time limit passed.
13th Age is probably the best suited to what is essentially a solo game. I'll start planning for that unless there's some objection to it.

As far as setting goes, I sort of want to use a homemade one. If we go with 13th Age, I'll post Icons for it.
Apr 1, 2019 7:06 pm
never played 13th but being collaborative I probably don't need to know it very well :)
Apr 1, 2019 7:48 pm
Okay, tell me what you think about this setting.

The Iron Empire

Long before the civilised races were civilised, ancient dragons ruled the land. They reigned from on high, and there was none that could challenge them. But then, they set their sights higher, conniving beings, as they were. They already ruled the earth; they should rule the heavens as well. They set their sights on the gods, and so, Heaven's War began.

War raged, and great magic was hurled wantonly. With the dragons' attention elsewhere, the younger races arose. They used the vestiges of the dragon's magic to fuel their own study, and finally, they threw off the dragons, and destroyed that now-weakened ancient race. But dragon magic is not that easily extinguished, nor does it's use come without a cost. Those that studied the magic of the dragons became powerful, but in doing so, some remnant of the souls of those dragons was bound to the younger races forever.

With the dragons' destruction, the war ended, and the gods drew back, licking their wounds. But there was one god, forever nameless, that did not. This god had not fought the dragons, but had bided his time while the others used their power. And now that they were weak, the dark god set his sights on the earth. His creations closed in around the young races, who were not yet strong enough to resist. His scribes whispered his laws into the ears of those most vulnerable to his dark power, and his Inquisitors strode through the land, unleashing his punishments on those who dared to defy him. What records remain from that time speak of horrors beyond compare.

Finally, though, as hope grew dim, a small group of heroes rose up, and ignoring the impossibility of their task, threw off the dark god's shackles. They waged war on the dark god. They weakened his power, and forged a path northward, to his citadel, and they destroyed him.

​Wulfric, the leader of the heroes who fought the dark god, was crowned Emperor. He reigned for forty-seven years before passing the rule to his daughter, Laurentien. Every emperor and empress ruled fairly, but they also ruled with an iron fist, and thus the name of the Empire grew. Almost every vestige of pre-Imperial culture was stamped out, replaced by the growing belief in the Empire’s infallibility and immortality. A large part of this was owed to the Sceptre of Ages that was the Emperor’s symbol. Its origin was never known, but its first appearance was shortly after Reinholdt I - Wulfric's grandson - returned from the dark north.

The rule of his dynasty lasted for nearly 700 years, but in 693 AI (Anno Imperii), disaster struck. The Sceptre of Ages was destroyed, and the last Emperor, Constantijn IV was killed. While speculation and conspiracy theories ran rampant as to the exact cause, there was little time to investigate. The blast of dark energy swept the Imperial capital and left death, destruction… and undeath… in it’s wake. Those who died from the blast rose quickly as mindless undead, and soon, the only things left in the city were the zombie hordes and the vermin that were beneath their notice.

Outside the capital, things began to break down rapidly. More than one claimant rose up to rule the remnants of the Empire. Without the Sceptre, however, no one had either the power or the legitimacy to stake a claim that would hold. As a result, the Empire has fragmented into multiple smaller realms. Now, several generations later, old loyalties are starting to return as new threats appear on the fringes of civilisation.
Last edited April 1, 2019 8:01 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.