Need Help With D&D5e Balance!

Mar 31, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm in the midst of creating a setting and included statistics for D&D5e based in The Elder Scrolls world (I might be running a game using it on the site soon!). Having just finished typing up the new races, I'd appreciate it if anyone here who has experience and familiarity with the balance and inner workings of 5e would give these game statistics a once over, just to tell me if anything is grossly under/overpowered.

Knowledge of The Elder Scrolls games not required.

Without further ado, here are the races:

———————————————————————————————————————————

Argonian
Ability Score Increase: Wisdom +2; Dexterity +1
Water Breathing: You can breathe underwater.
Natural Athlete: You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
People of the Root: You have immunity to the effects of poisons and diseases, and are immune to poison damage.
Histskin: As a bonus action, you can gain temporary hit points equal to your level. You cannot use this feature again until you complete a short or long rest.

Breton
Ability Score Increase: Intelligence +2; Wisdom +1
Spell Attunement: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom , and Charisma saving throws against magic.
Dragon Skin: You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Dark Elf
Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma/Intelligence; +1 Strength/Dexterity
Shadow of Red Mountain: You have resistance to fire damage.
Ancestor Guardian: When a creature you can see hits you with an attack roll, you can use your reaction to force that creature to reroll. Once you use this ability, you can’t do so again until you roll initiative at the start of combat or until you finish a short or long rest.
Dunmer Weapon Proficiency: You have proficiency with the shortsword, longsword, shortbow and longbow.

High Elf
Ability Score Increase: Intelligence +2; Charisma +1
Curse of the Apprentice: You have a -2 penalty to saving throws against magic, except Dexterity saving throws.
Syrabane's Boon: At 1st level, you can select one cantrip and one 1st-level spell from the Wizard spell list. You learn these spells, and Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for them. In addition, you gain additional magicka points, which you add to your magicka pool (if you have one from your class), or act as a separate pool (if you do not). At 1st level, you have 2 additional magicka points. This value increases as you gain levels. At 9th level, you have 3 additional magicka points. At 15th level, you have 5 additonal magicka points.
Highborn: You have advantage on saving throws against disease.

Imperial
Ability Score Increase: Charisma +2; +1 to two others
Imperial Luck: When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
Voice of the Emperor: You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice from: Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation or Performance.

Khajiit
Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +2; Charisma/Strength +1
Cat's Claws: Because of your claws, you have a climbing speed of 20 feet. In addition, your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. In addition, when you make an unarmed attack and hit, you deal an extra 2 slashing damage.
Feline Agility: You have proficiency in the Acrobatics skill.
Eye of Night: You have a cat's keen senses, especially in the dark. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Nord
Ability Score Increase: Strength +2; Constitution +2
Born of the North: You have resistance to cold damage, and are naturally adapted to cold climates.
Durable: Whenever you spend a Hit Die to regain hit points, the minimum hit points you regain equals twice your Constitution modifier. In addition, your maximum hit points are increased by an amount equal to your level.

Orc
Ability Score Increase: Strength +2; Constitution +1
Menacing: You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.
Berserk Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Armour of Malacath: You have proficiency with heavy armour.

Redguard
Ability Score Increase: Constitution +1; Strength/Dexterity +2
Desert Hardiness: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Ra-Gada Weapon Training: You have proficiency with scimitars, shortswords, rapiers and longswords.
Adrenaline Rush: On your turn, when you take the Attack action to make a melee weapon attack, you can make one additional attack. You can use this feature once, and regain the use of it on a short rest.

Wood Elf
Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +2; Wisdom +1
Strength of the Green Pact: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage. In addition, you suffer no ill effects from consuming raw meat, or the meat of humanoids.
Fleet of Foot: Your speed is 35 feet.
Bosmer Archery: You have proficiency with the longbow and shortbow.
Beast Tongue: You can communicate with beasts.
Last edited March 31, 2019 7:41 pm
Apr 1, 2019 12:54 am
Not sure if this is a typo, but you gave Nord +2 constitution instead of +1.

Immunity to poison is pretty big for Argonians, I'd suggest replacing it with advantage on saves against poison, but then again I've noticed that Redguards and Wood Elves already have advantage on saves against poison, so I'm not sure what to replace it with...
Apr 1, 2019 7:08 am
The Nord double bonus was intentional (see mountain dwarf). Do you think it would be better to take away another of their bonuses?

The Argonian poison immuntiy has always been quite a feature of the games, I was reluctant to get rid of it. I did reckon it might be overpowered, out of all the features here. I still think it should be more powerful than the redguard and wood elf features.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.