MtG: The RPG

Apr 1, 2019 10:34 pm
I recently ran across an old system I apparently made at some point. I went ahead and made it all pretty and figured I'd throw it out to let people use, comment on, or rip apart for their own nefarious purposes.

MtG: The RPG
Apr 10, 2019 1:28 am
That is kind of fun. I like your ideas. I have often thought about an RPG that emulates MtG. I saw recently that someone has tried to create a 5e magic system to go with the Ravnica book they put out. Based on the blurb they wrote to describe it I don't know that I would buy it. It sounded like the caster had to use a bonus action to roll to get the mana they needed to cast a spell. Perhaps it is just the grog-nard D&D player in me, but it sounded like there was a ramp up to being bale to cast higher level spells. Not great when casters tend to be squishy, but I shouldn't really knock it until I try it. Probably works better in an all caster party or a when a good defensive tank leads the group.
Apr 10, 2019 7:55 pm
I haven't really kept up with 5e much. I went from 4e to 13th Age, and am QUITE satisfied. Incidentally, the sorcerers and necromancers in 13th Age has a similar ability, but it just augments existing spells and is open to GM interpretation, so while it might not be as POWERFUL, it's certainly always interesting.

Gather Power (Sorc version): Once initiative has been rolled and a battle is underway, a sorcerer can spend a standard action to gather magical power, preparing themselves for casting a double-strength spell with their next standard action. Gathering power is loud and very noticeable. In addition, because you spend your standard action to gather power, you generate a small magical benefit. Like many of your powers, this benefit is chaotic rather than perfectly reliable, so you must make a random check to see what benefit you get. Roll a d6 and consult the appropriate table below. If you get a benefit that deals damage to enemies, you can choose the type of damage (cold, fire, lightning, or thunder).

Cackling Soliloquist (Necro version): If you spend your move action, your quick action, and your standard action casting a daily spell that ordinarily only requires a standard action—while screaming grandiloquently, cackling maniacally, or megalomaniacally describing the grandeur of your plans and the futility of your enemies’ resistance—the daily spell is recharge 18+ after battle instead of daily, and you can invent a slight improvement to the spell, especially if it’s partly story-oriented, that provides an extra benefit determined by the GM or by you (with GM approval).
Apr 15, 2019 3:16 am
would love to see
Jul 8, 2019 5:34 pm
If there was a good custom deck option, I could run it, but that's hard to do online. Roll20 is the only place I know of that could do it.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.