Chapter 2.0 - Into The Black

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 19, 2015 4:28 am
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me.

Tombstone Station

http://orig07.deviantart.net/7183/f/2007/274/5/4/549972e0f9f2ad18.jpg
Oct 21, 2015 1:25 am
There is a plaque on the wall, some durable alloy of iron.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings"

You're not sure where that snippet came from. Wait, you have an image in your head of some world war one pilot, but... Wait, world war one? Pilot? You know these words, you know the context, somehow. You even know what the word 'snippet' means. Strange.

With your translation to Tombstone Station, you have been altered. Your clothing, your skin, even your bodies are different. They're 'contextual'. Your weapons have transformed into appropriate analogs. Revolvers are now blasted, rifles are electromagnetic propulsion weapons, or maybe even vibro-swords. Even your cyphers are different, turned into objects that fit the Recursion.

Your memories are intact. You remember the Rio Grande, but some of it is hazy. But your time with Louis, and the preacher and the colonel, and each other, are all crystal clear.

You feel weak however, suffering from some sort of translation distemperment. Louis told you that it would pass, usually in about an hour. Your not as weak as a kitten, but just a little off. You could wait in the room that you're in until you feel better, our you could explore.
Oct 21, 2015 1:57 am
You, again somehow, know some things about Tombstone Station...

Section 1: Main Street

The main part of the station is the central ring. It is laid out as one long corridor along the middle of the circumference with rooms to either side much like homes and businesses on a street. The rotation of the station provides for 1G normal gravity on Main Street.

Section 2: Arclight

The second, smaller ring spins at about 0.5G and so is better suited for industrial applications. Starship construction and repairs are performed here.

Section 3: Observation

The scientific instrumentation and analysis systems are housed in the smallest ring. Here, under very light gravity, sensitive experiments are performed, including scanning of the nearby nebula for threats.

Section 4: Fuel Pods

Large tanks of fuel, including oxygen, hydrogen, helium and nitrogen are contained here. A small maintenance ring contains the power generators, atmospheric recyclers, and other support systems.
Oct 21, 2015 10:36 am
Eli stares in amazement at his new clothes, his duster more like a flexible armor, and his guns looking like super-guns. He notes similar transformations for his two friends.

While he almost felt ready to start exploring, he feels a wave of fatigue, and sits down. "Whew, this is a lot to take in! You guys mind if we rest a bit?"
Oct 21, 2015 9:30 pm
Diego looks down to see that his poncho has been replaced with an odd leather jacket. It is long - very long - almost scraping the ground as he walks. The weirdest part of the whole get up are the buttons; hundreds of them. Shaking his head trying to determine the purpose of so many obviously non-functional buttons he instinctively reaches to pull down his sombrero.

"It's gone!" he yells, frantically looking around at the ground, trying to find it. "What's with my voice!" he screams again noticing that his thick Mexican accent seems to have disappeared.

He leans back against a wall and sighs and looks over towards Eli. "This is all very weird..."
Oct 24, 2015 2:25 pm
After awhile, you begin to feel better. Your altered bodies, while disconcerting to say the least, are familiar. Some rough calisthenics (there's a new word) prove that your reflexes and mobility are unchanged. But your mind and skills seem to know too do things that you hadn't even heard of an hour earlier. Like checking the charge pack on your blasters, which propel radiation and subatomic particles at near light speed in a focused beam.

Soon, however, the curiosity overwhelms you. Outside, as the station slowly rotates, the killer star passes by, slowly cannibalizing its larger brother.

What other mysteries lie outside the large, metal door?
Oct 24, 2015 4:16 pm
As the world around me comes into focus, I look down to see my clothes have changed. Instead of being ready for desert travel, Were those belts around my leg? Oh, for a holster. No sleeves though. Odd. No wait, what's that on my wrist? "WEAPONAUT"? A tattoo? Geez, what is this place? Absentmindedly, I gently rub my wrist as I look at the others. We'd all changed. At least we're all still human. As if on cue from that last thought, something inside my wrist shifts, making a small sound like metal clinking under a thick blanket. My hand falls to the ground with a heavy thud. "What the hell?! What the fuck is this shit?!" The strangest thing is ... it didn't hurt. It just went numb.
As I stare at my hand, I notice where it separated from my wrist. Metal and lights shone, matching my exposed wrist. What is this place?
[OOC: Sorry for the late reply. Trying to figure out the look of this guy. Is this recursion more Firefly, Farscape, or just general space sci-fi?]
Oct 24, 2015 4:51 pm
unique_exemplar says:

[OOC: Sorry for the late reply. Trying to figure out the look of this guy. Is this recursion more Firefly, Farscape, or just general space sci-fi?]
More Firefly than anything else, but not just Firefly.
Oct 24, 2015 4:59 pm
"Shiny", Eli says, although he's not sure why. He puts his ear to the door to see if he hears anything. If he does, he informs the others. Regardless, after listening, he signals that he is opening the door, and he opens it.

Rolls

perception (trained) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 24, 2015 5:46 pm
You don't hear much. There is a rhythmic thumping that grows and then fades, felt through the metal door rather than heard, that you decide are footsteps.

The narrow corridor the door opens into leads to a larger, more brightly lit one, and that one that seems slightly rounded. The larger corridor is probably 15 yards across.

The walls and floor are made from metal and plastic, with no sign of wood. The floor is textured rough and provides good traction. Light is provided by ceiling panels that glow perfectly evenly without flicker or variation.

Across from you and nearby in the side corridor are a few other doors, identical to your own.
Dec 8, 2015 2:29 am
You peek into the larger corridor, and this one seems to bend upwards, curving along the hull of the largest ring of the station. The 'street' goes all the way around, so you could walk straight and end up back where you are after maybe a 1000 paces.

Walking away from you is a large, metal exoskeleton, driven by a barely seen person. The large arms on the device are well designed for lifting heavy materials, such as moving freight, or for mining, etc. With each step, the floor vibrates slightly, with a cadence that tells you it is what you felt from inside your room.

In the other direction, a number of people can be seen. One woman, a robotic arm shining in the artificial light, is just entering what appears to be a store. Two men are sitting outside a restaurant, drinking something and casually looking at you. Lastly, a creature that looks like an Egyptian god, covered in golden metal with a doglike head, is strolling towards you. It carries a long rifle in one hand, a satchel looped over its shoulder, and a roundish helmet in the other hand.

A loud alarm begins to sound, followed by a disembodied voice that seems to emit from the ceiling. "Attention. Incoming solar storm. Residents are advised to secure any loose items and brace for impact. Impact will occur in 4 minutes. Please be advised that this is a class 3 hazard. No structural damage is anticipated. Thank you for your attention."
Dec 8, 2015 10:50 am
Space cowboy Eli, not looking for Trouble, starts a slow, casual walk towards the Egyptian warrior. He will pay attention for any signs of threat.
Dec 8, 2015 10:26 pm
Still confused by all of the buttons on his jacket, Diego is a bit oblivious to the other people around him. He quickly snaps to attention when alarm starts blaring though. "Should we be looking for someplace to hide?"
Dec 10, 2015 1:09 am
Calming down after my shock from my detached limb, I pick my hand up from the floor with only mildly shaking hands and catch up to the others. Nervously looking about, I'm startled by the announcement and back up against a wall. In response to Diego, I say, "I don't think hiding is what we should be doing. Sounds more like we'll need to be hanging onto something." I watch everyone around to see what they're doing, in case I need to change my tactics for riding out this storm.
Dec 10, 2015 3:49 am
The Egyptian warrior pauses and tilts his dog-like head as the announcement occurs. He then looks about, and lopes hurriedly to the restaurant. The two men at the table slam their drinks back and jog off in the other direction.

The woman in the restaurant steps out and looks around as she half-closes the door. She sees you, and waves her arm at you, beckoning.
Dec 10, 2015 9:59 am
Seeing the beckoning woman, I grab Eli and Diego's attention, "Come on!" and then rush off to the assumed shelter.
Dec 10, 2015 9:59 am
Seeing the beckoning woman, I grab Eli and Diego's attention, "Come on!" and then rush off to the assumed shelter.
Dec 10, 2015 11:04 am
Eli acknowledges the offer of shelter and moves towards the restaurant.
Dec 10, 2015 10:34 pm
"Don't need to tell me twice." Diego responds as he follows behind the others
Last edited December 10, 2015 10:35 pm
Dec 11, 2015 12:51 am
The woman waits a second after the three of you enter the restaurant, before she closes the door. She spins a wheel on the inside of the door, and it seems to seal tightly.

The restaurant has 5 people besides you. There is the woman with the metal arm who let you in. The Egyptian warrior, who has placed his rifle, helmet and rucksack on a corner table. There is a woman who is immediately recognizable the galaxy over as a waitress. There is another woman in an open kitchen against the left wall. Lastly, a man of more than a little excess body fat sits patiently in from of an empty plate. All of them look your way, then at each other. There are 5 unoccupied tables, each with four chairs bolted to the floor beside them. In fact, everything here looks secured to the floor, or perhaps magnetic. The only thing that isn't obviously metal is a tapestry hanging from the wall showing man with a broken sword trying to fight off an armoured giant.

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/misc/props/lotr_paintclose1.jpg

The woman holds out her metal arm, clearly offering a handshake, and says "Jeapa. Welcome to Tombstone Station."
Dec 11, 2015 1:08 am
I give her a firm handshake with my semi-robotic hand, and say "Eli, pleased to meet you. Probably best we sit down and hold down huh?"
Dec 11, 2015 1:18 am
Diego gives Jeapa a nod.

"Ma'am."
Dec 11, 2015 1:30 am
Jeapa stands as tall as any of you, and has a hard look about her. You've seen her type many a time back in the Rio Grande, and you'd peg her right off as a deputy or marshall of some border town. Her features are exotic, maybe slightly asian, and she is all ropey muscle, except for her oversized mechanical left arm. On her hip, she packs a stubby blaster.

She shakes Eli's hand firmly and nods at Eli's question. "G'dye. No worries, mates, we rarely lose containment in a class 3. Best prepared, though." Peaking out the porthole, she says over her shoulder, "where you boys from?"
Dec 15, 2015 10:49 am
In an awkward manner, Eli scratches his head with his mechanical hand and says, "Ahem, well, we are from a place called Rio Grande, in the Wild West if you've heard of such a place."
Dec 16, 2015 10:44 pm
"A mite different than what you might be used to here." Diego adds.
Dec 17, 2015 3:19 am
She nods, turning around to face you. "Not many from there come through here. Where you head-"

She's cut off by a loud bang that reverberates through the walls and floor. A thrumming vibrates the floor like a piano wire.

The public address system clicks on with a burst of feedback: "Warning: explosive decompression in main ring. All emergency personnel to stations. Emergency seals are on lockdown protocol. Please stand by."

Jeapa looks at the Egyptian. He stands up, grabs his helmet. "You need anything, officer. I got a half hour of air."

She puts her real hand on the door and yanks it back, hissing through her teeth. "Cold! Adiabatic pressure loss causes the temperature to plummet." She punches the door with her metal fist. "Damnation."
Dec 17, 2015 11:13 am
"Tell us what we can do to help, and by durn, we'll do it!", says a slightly nervous Eli
Dec 18, 2015 4:19 am
Unsure of what is happening Diego frantically looks about to see if he can figure out what he might be able to do to help.

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Dec 19, 2015 2:30 am
Diego notices a compartment in the kitchen area, the markings on which indicate that an emergency kit may be found inside.

Jeapa pulls out a pair of eyeglasses and puts them on. A small flash of light plays across her left eye. She pauses, and then swears. "Wallaby tits!". Her right hand pats her hip, revealing a small holster blended into her clothing, and her robotic arm twists open to reveal a strange but obvious weapon. She hears the electric whine of the servos and frowns at her arm, which reverses itself to hide the blaster.

She looks at you all, taking you all in.

"Okay, central says that a bomb has gone off, and atmosphere is venting to space. Analysis is that whoever is behind this is after a weapons cache on the station. I'm against that. Okay, anyone who wants to be a deputy, we need to cross 200 meters of low pressure corridor to the lab. Then we probably need to fight. I can promise danger pay. Who's in and what's our plan?"
Dec 19, 2015 3:59 pm
Worried, but eager to feel useful, I step forward. "I don't know what to do, but I'm willing to help any way I can, ma'am."
Dec 19, 2015 4:59 pm
Diego will make a run towards the kitchen area and attempt to retrieve the emergency kit (if there is one) before returning to the foul-mouthed Jeapa.

"I'm in, but you're the only one that knows this place well enough to form a plan. What do we need to do?"
Last edited December 19, 2015 4:59 pm
Dec 19, 2015 7:14 pm
Eli activates his cigarillo holder (whatever form it takes on this recursion) and puts the sniper module on his spike rifle. "Good to go ma'am. Ill cross what needs crossin' and shoot what needs shootin'. But you know this ship and we don't, so the best plan is gonna have to come from you.
Last edited December 19, 2015 7:14 pm
Dec 19, 2015 8:03 pm
Inside the emergency kit, you find a large number of face masks and hoses, the hoses feeding the masks with oxygen. It looks like there are about 40, or enough for the restaurant at capacity. You also find a small number of magnetic strips with a velcro 'x-shape' attached, and you can see from the diagram that they wrap around the ankle so that your heel will stick to the metal floor. Lastly, there are 10 portable masks with small oxygen cannisters, each with about 10 minutes of air.

Diego pulls out the portable gear and Jeapa grabs a portable mask.

The hull of the station reverberates once harshly, and the thrumming vibration stops.

Jeapa gestures the restauranteers to hook up to the emergency air supply, and they scramble to do so as she starts to spin open the door. She stops before it is fully unlatched, and turns to you. The dog-headed Egyptian growls "Awuim" which you take to be his name, as he dons his helmet, and then helps you with your masks and velcro magnets, showing how to open the air release.

Once all ready, you nod at Jeapa. She looks at the people staying behind, and they give the thumbs up.

She says "Follow me, close. Walk on your heels cause if that patch doesn't hold, we'll vent atmosphere again and you might get sucked through a hole even if its only the size of a fist." She palms her blaster. "We need to get to the weapons lab, and make sure nothing gets out. If someone looks flaky, paste them. Nobody steals from my station."

"If they get free, they'll make trouble for everyone in this sector."

While you know she's not telling you something important about these weapons, she slams her mask on, expertly makes sure it's fitting, then spins the door to the open position. A hiss of air pressure equalizes and your ears pop, blood leaking down the sides of your heads [1 might damage]. The door opens and she steps into the corridor.
Dec 22, 2015 4:37 am
Holding his hands to his ears Diego follows quickly behind Jeapa.
Dec 24, 2015 12:53 am
Not sure what you might expect, but the corridor seems normal. There is a slight gust that disturbs the air, but it seems to be disapating. However, it is really cold. So cold that old people should start traveling south.

Your ears screaming in pain, your exposed skin turning white in the intense temperature, you follow Jeapa down the central circumferencing corridor. She jogs forward, certain of herself, passing three side branches before stopping at a fourth. She ducks low and peeks around the corner, then turns back and waves you forward.

Perhaps it is an artefact of speaking through the air mask, or the rarified atmo in the station, but her voice sounds thin when she says "I'll crack the door lock from that sec panel over thay-ah" she points at a terminal down the hallway, "then I want two of you sheilas to go in, one going left, the other right. Shoot anyone that is arm-ed. Then you," she continues, pointing at Eli, "take that rifle and stand jeest outside tha door. Cover your buddies but give me space to rush in past you once I'm done. Comprende amigos?" she drawls lazily in terrible mock spanish.
Let me know if you want to do any prep before the door opens, and then roll initiative por favor.
Dec 24, 2015 5:18 am
Just when Diego was starting to shake off the pain in his ears from the pressure difference they are assaulted by Jeapa's terrible Spanish. His grimace hidden by his mask he simply nods in acknowledgement and gestures that he'll go right. He draws his pistol machine gun and readies himself...
Last edited December 24, 2015 5:18 am

Rolls

Initiative [Trained] - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 24, 2015 11:53 am
Eli stands just outside the door as instructed, rifle ready and on the lookout for hostiles

Rolls

Initiative (trained) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Dec 24, 2015 6:39 pm
I easily keep up with the woman, traversing the corridor with my usual grace by avoiding debris strewn about by the decompression. Focused on following orders, I reach for my weapon only to notice the strange design. Instead of a regular handle, it seems to have a kind of port that looks familiar. Once it clicks, I shudder, detach my hand, and attach the blaster.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 25, 2015 1:40 am
He cocked his head and looked forward ernest ly although his eyes were closed. He had been here for a while and the odd message from the elders visions didn't seem to make sense until the chaos started.

When the earth shakes and the air cracks dance with the ones that run to the danger to face it. As emergency procedures and people panicked it brought the brazen out of thought. Pulling his own breather mask from his pouch he looked to the last of the strangers that gave him a hand gesture.

Maybe this was what he was supposed to see, grabbing heel anchors himself he gave chase to the group following the woman. "I come to help." he explained his hand going to an odd hook shaped weapon.
Last edited December 25, 2015 1:40 am

Rolls

Initiative (traimed) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Dec 27, 2015 8:58 pm
Jeapa nods at the fourth helper, smiling grimly but warmly, and she points at Floats on Thunder and then at, lastly making a gun-finger gesture at the door. "Help him cover the othahs, mate," she says, in her strange singsong accent. Eli, who is holding a rifle opposite the door. Awuim, helmet firmly and enviably attached (you can bet his ears aren't bleeding) waits by the main corridor, keeping an eye lookout in case of... well, it's probably a good strategy.

She jogs down the hallway to a system terminal. A laser scanner recognizes her and she sets a security override to open the doors even though the place is on decompression lockdown. Her finger hovers over the touchscreen and she glances your way, making sure that you're all ready. Once AJ's blaster is in place (where his hand was a moment ago), she taps the screen.

The doors part slightly, and a hiss of air jets fiercely into the hallway, covering Eli and Floats with a shower of tiny, glinting particles, like metal filings. After a few seconds, and a loud metallic crash inside, the air equalizes and the doors swing inwards, open.

The room is a machine shop of some kind, full of workbenches, and odd mechanical tools. You can see a number of lathes, grinders and welding kits, and a number of unusual apparati.

There are four people in hard vacuum suits inside, one of them on the floor underneath a large industrial press which has toppled onto him (T1). Two of them are loading a large device, full of electronic readouts many of which are flashing alarming shades of red, onto a trolley (T2 and T3). The fourth (T4) whose back is to you, is madly grabbing at a system terminal to keep him/herself from toppling over backwards on her/his stool. All of them have large guns belted to their legs, except the one under the press whose blaster rifle is in his left hand.

Diego and Eli's actions will occur first, then the thieves, then AJ and Floats on Thunder. Jeapa will spend her action moving.
Dec 28, 2015 6:02 pm
"Looks armed to me!" Diego reassures himself before firing at the person holding onto the system terminal (T4).

Rolls

Machine Pistol Attack [4 Damage] - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Dec 28, 2015 6:39 pm
Eli fires at whomever is furthest away (1 level of Effort to improve accuracy)

Edit: oh well I didn't need that extra effort to hit after all. But with the 20 I will use the extra damage)
Last edited December 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Rolls

Blaster rifle (7 damage; +3 added to hit roll) - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Dec 28, 2015 9:03 pm
Diego fires at the thief who is just recovering his balance, but his rounds go wide, instead striking the terminal. The monitor collapses in a shower of sparks and electricity arcs, and the room lights flicker a few times before going out. A moment later dim, red emergency lighting kicks on, bathing the room in a dim, red glow. {GM Intrusion}

Eli ignores the flickering lights and pulls the trigger. His spike rifle fires and the thief at the terminal, tearing his helmet and part of its head off. The beings hands fling upwards and it bounces off the sparking terminal before it finally topples over onto the floor. It's 'skull' is bulbous and pulsates grotesquely, and may be made of more cartilage material than bone. Aliens, oh snap.

The two thieves manhandling, er, alienhandling the dangerous looking device, drop it and spill backwards to opposite sides of the room. The one to the right (T2) claws at its weapon and clears it from its holser. The one to the left (T3) bumps into a tool bench and comes up with two small cannisters in its hands.

The alien on the floor (T4), spins the industrial press off of him and stands up, grabbing his rifle on the way.

The aliens have all acted. Floats and AJ are up.
{GM Intrusion} due to the bright light in the corridor versus the darkness of the room, there will be an additional level of difficulty shooting into the weapons lab as well as dodging fire emanating from the weapons lab. Diego take 1 xp and give 1 xp to another player.

{Aliens} Eli's "Fights Aliens" focus came into play, granting an extra 2 points of damage (13 = 7 + 4 from the nat 20 + 2), which killed it.
Dec 28, 2015 9:31 pm
Well at least now I know what we're doing and what's going on. Floats on Thunder thought to himself moving to stand on the balls of his feet.

He suddenly would start to bounce the hook in his hand clacking slightly from the metal etched feathers as he shook it, his free hand reaching out to clasp at one of the what he thought to be theives. Sound would pass through him more audible as tones of his voice than actual words and reverberate into the room towards the man holding canisters (T3).

(OoC: Using Exception 1 Int minus 1 for Int Edge of 1, if he's not from this recursion (he probably from here though) his senses are overwhelmed and he loses his next action next turn)

Edit: On a hit I'll use the 18 to do +2 damage for a total of 6 (4+2)
Last edited December 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Rolls

Dance with the Spirits (Exception) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 28, 2015 10:27 pm
Ultrann36 says:
Edit: oh well I didn't need that extra effort to hit after all. But with the 20 I will use the extra damage)
Remember you get your efforts point back when you roll a 20!

I slip an XP to Floats on Thunder to get him on the board.
Dec 29, 2015 1:41 am
Taking my sights on the newly armed creature (T2), I fire my hand-blaster at it through a strange flexing of muscles that I knew to perform, but were strange and new to me.
[OOC: Using a level of effort for taking careful aim.]

Rolls

Blaster Attack (5 damage) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Dec 29, 2015 1:48 am
Eli fires another spike rifle shot, at T2 (1 level of effort for accuracy again

Rolls

Spike rifle (7+2)=9 damage - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Dec 29, 2015 3:10 am
Floats on Thunder's strange attack sends the alien a-wobbling but before it can get its senses back under control, AJ and Eli both fire. While AJ's blaster bolt fires high and to the left, harmlessly dissipating on the wall, Eli's spike hits true once more and the alien goes down (T2).
Diego is up, then Jeapa and the aliens.
Dec 29, 2015 4:25 pm
Trying not to make things even worse Diego will take a knee and carefully put his sights on the weird looking being holding the canisters (T3).

OOC: Medium weapon.
Last edited December 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Rolls

Machine Pistol Attack [with effort] - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Dec 29, 2015 7:02 pm
Diego's machine pistol clips the target, opening up some cosmetic damage but inflicting no actual injury. (Missed by 1 after reflecting the darkness penalty).
In The Strange and other Cypher System games, the GM never rolls to decide the outcome of an action. Jeapa's attack is up next so if one of you could post a roll on her behalf, Ill take the first roll posted and describe the outcome, and then describe the alien's actions.
Dec 29, 2015 7:04 pm
Jeana fires..

Rolls

Jeapa weapon - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Dec 29, 2015 8:08 pm
From the security terminal, Jeapa ran down the hallway and slid to a sliding stop in front of the door. On her side to avoid the fire from Eli and Floats, her left arm slides open and small gun turret retracts. It self-aims and fires multiple times but both aliens duck away from the blaster rays.

The alien to the right (T3) thumb activates a toggle on one of the cannisters, and then throws it into the doorway where it explodes. {Speed Defense rolls from everybody - beat a TN 9 for half-damage, but beat a TN 15 to avoid all damage - and Ultann36 please roll SD for Jeapa as well}

The alien that was previously under the industrial press (T4) focusses his attention on Eli whose spike rifle has wreaked so much havoc with their hopes and dreams for a 10-year reunion. {Second speed defense please Eli, TN 15}
Dec 29, 2015 8:16 pm
I wonder what th- Floats on Thunder starts to think before his brain fast forwards and he attempts to dive out of the way.

"Nope." he states wondering if he could change reality based on wants at a time like this.

Remnant sent a note to Qralloq
Last edited December 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Rolls

Do not want canister of pain Speed Defense check - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 29, 2015 8:43 pm
Remnant says:
Qralloq sent a note to Qralloq
It absolutely would, but targeting the hand is more difficult than targeting the whole creature, so we would move the step up by one. The step-difficulty has already been increased by 1 due to firing into a darkened room. In total, that would make it a step 6 difficulty, requiring a roll of an 18 or above. Your call.
Dec 30, 2015 12:10 am
Expecting the worst when seeing the thrown object, I hurriedly dodge away.
[OOC: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.]
[OOC: Nope. I'm spending 1xp to reroll that.]
Last edited December 30, 2015 12:11 am

Rolls

Speed Defense (Specialized) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Speed Defense (Specialized) (second try) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Dec 30, 2015 12:15 am
Floats and AJ both dive far enough away that the explosion does little more than ruffle their hair.
Game system note: As AJ is specialized in SD, the difficulty is dropped by two steps, or 3 for half damage, 9 for none.
Dec 30, 2015 2:18 am
Ooc I'm not sure if my Cypher will permit additional Speed defense rolls for these attacks (Effect Resistance - for a day, provides additional resistance to direct damaging attacks, except blunt force, slashing or piercing attacks. If level of attack is 6 or less, the user gains an additional defense roll.) If not ignore the 2nd roll of each pair...

Rolls

Speed defense (T3 second) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Speed defense (T4 second) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jeapa speed defense - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 30, 2015 2:20 am
Hmm not sure where my first rolls went. I will do them now (or you can count the ones above as the first; your call)

Rolls

Speed defense (T3 first) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Speed defense (T4 first) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm
Eli also dives away from the explosion, which throws off the aliens blaster rifle shot. He rolls to his feet unscathed.

Jeapa flattens herself behind the doorway and likewise comes out of the bombspray none the worse.
{Game System Note} As Eli is trained in speed defense, the difficulty was dropped one step and his first roll was a marginal success.

Just waiting on Diego's SD roll.
Dec 30, 2015 10:39 pm
Seeing the incoming canister Diego does his best to dive to his right...

EDIT: What's the damage? I know it's half after that roll, but I missed the damage amount...
Last edited December 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Rolls

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Dec 31, 2015 12:16 am
Diego takes 5 points of might damage as the door frame takes most of it. He is blown backwards into the hallway, sliding to the opposite side of the corridor on his butt.

I think Floats and AJ are up, possibly followed by Diego and Eli, then Jeapa and the aliens. T3 has another explosive charge in hand, and T4 has a large blaster rifle. Both of 'em are uninjured and ornerier than a cornered badger. Recall that there is a one-step penalty for firing into the room at them.
Jan 1, 2016 12:24 pm
I quickly get back up once the blast subsides, finding my cover again before taking aim once seeing another one of those dangerous canisters.
[OOC: Attacking T3]

Rolls

Blaster Attack (5 damage) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 1, 2016 6:32 pm
Rolling to his feet after diving out of the way he finds himself swaying again the odd metal hook in Floats on Thunder's hand rotation as he twists his wrist. The reverberations of sound emit from him again pushing onward rushing towards the Metal thrower.

(OoC: Using Exception again, Int cost of 1 - 1 from Int Edge, Also AJ got +2 damage or a minor effect I think. XD)

Edit: I'll use the 19 as additional Damage on the hit for 4+3 damage to T3 (Metal Thrower?)
Last edited January 1, 2016 6:32 pm

Rolls

Using Exception - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jan 1, 2016 6:53 pm
(OOC- assuming T3 is dead... if not I shot at it). Eli aims his spike rifle at T4 and fires

Rolls

Spike rifle (7+2)=9 damage (1 level of Effort to hit) - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Jan 1, 2016 8:20 pm
Holy criticals, Batfleck!

AJs shot hits the bomb toting alien square in the leg and it falls to one knee, and as it goes to thumb the primer, Floats On Thunder slips past its mental defenses and hits it with a psychic blast. The alien gurgles not unlike a dolphin screaming, and falls to the ground. The bomb slips from its hands and rolls toward you, but you're unsure whether it's been activated.

Seeing that alien go down but not dead, Eli swings his spike rifle to bear on the alien and toggles the firing mechanism. The alien takes it oddly stoically in the chest and falls limply to the deck. The last alien takes aim at you, Eli.

Diego's move, I think.
Eli rolled what 17 which he can apply as either +1 damage our a minor effect. Since the alien is dead, the extra damage is unnecessary. One suggestion is moving at the end of the attack to a better spot.
Jan 2, 2016 11:00 pm
Shaking the cobwebs from his head, Diego once again raises his machine pistol. "Two more to go..." he thinks to himself as he can barely make out the location of the last two aliens.

"Wait, it's just one alien... I think.... Ah hell, just aim for the middle..."

Rolls

Machine Pistol Attack - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jan 2, 2016 11:38 pm
Diego, still woozy from the explosion, fires a short burst from his machine pistol, but it tracks high, chewing up the wall above and behind the last alien.

Jeapa runs into the room, and slams tackles the alien, who attempts to club/block her.
Ultrann36, please roll for Jeapa once again, then I'll describe the aliens actions, if any.
Jan 2, 2016 11:44 pm
Jeapa tries to avoid the alien...

Rolls

Jeapa Speed defense - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jan 3, 2016 4:17 pm
Jeapa slams into the alien, but he deflects her human arm away and after struggling for a few moments, he stumbles out of the tackle. While Jeapa hasn't said anything to alter your plans, she is now in the zone of fire, and you might wonder why she changed tactics.
Floats and AJ are up, possibly followed by Diego and Eli, then Jeapa and the alien. T3 had another explosive charge which has rolled most of the way to the door and has stopped, motionless yet threatening. T4 has a large blaster rifle and is uninjured and edgier than a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Recall that there is a one-step penalty for firing into the room at him (which makes the difficulty 15, in this case), but no additional penalty for Jeapa being there.
Jan 3, 2016 7:49 pm
With one would-be thief left Floats on Thunder lets out a warcry and whoops slightly garbled behind his breather mask as he rushes to join the woman. Lashing out with the curved metal hook at the alien. It would give him a chance to figure out the room and what was in it.

Rolls

Light Weapon attack (One step down for difficulty) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 3, 2016 11:09 pm
Floats on Thunder slashes the alien with his hook weapon, damaging it. {2 points dmg} During the attack, he sees a system terminal with a flashing "Emergency Lighting" button on the display, which he slaps. The lights spring immediately back to full illumination.
Jan 4, 2016 12:48 am
(Ooc Shouldn't Float's damage be 4 points:2 plus natural 18=4).

Eli says, "Thanks for the lights!" and tries to blow a hole through the alien

Rolls

Spike rifle (7+2)=9 damage - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 4, 2016 12:57 am
Not having any luck with gunfire and seeing that Jeapa has moved in close Diego will draw both of his bone-handled daggers and rush in.

Fast: Can move a short distance and still take an action.
Dual Light Wield: Two light weapons at the same time.

Rolls

Attack #1 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Attack #2 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jan 4, 2016 1:50 am
(OoC: went with a minor effect that reduced the overall difficulty from dark/flashing lights instead of +2 damage.)
Jan 4, 2016 4:44 am
Eli's spike rifle once again finishes off the alien. It drops to the ground limply, as if it was suddenly turned off.

Jeapa picks up the small explosive from the floor and after a quick glance, tosses it idly onto a work bench. She then steps up to the crate and examines the digital readout.

"You mates are new here, righty? What do you know about planetovores?"
Jan 4, 2016 11:14 am
Eli's eyes widen. "I've heard of each half of that word separately, but never together! Something tells me I probably won't like what I hear, but I need to pay attention regardless."
Jan 4, 2016 2:12 pm
(OoC: I figure she'll explain but from my PC's background he probably knows of the "Dream Eaters", ignore the roll if it's not needed.)

With his weapon wielding arm now relaxed as he looked around he thought of the words the woman warrior spoke. He was quite a bit and thought about the phrase...

Rolls

The Strange fact check reduced one step down - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 4, 2016 2:34 pm
Floats On Thunder doors recognize the term, and with it the association of extra-worldly entities that seek to consume realities. Literally.

She adjusts some of the settings on the device and then stands. Straightening her clothing, she glances around the room, then flaps her arms to shoo you all out of the lab.

"I think everything is secure. Let's get back to better air, and I'll explain. I bring it up because I think these would be thieves were agents of such a planetovore."
Jan 4, 2016 3:11 pm
Floats on Thunder’s face darkens with the realization and nods as the immediate threat is gone and leaves making his way outside and waits. He smooths down and adjusts the fabric around his neck the material soft to the touch, something he can never get used to it seemed considering what he considered clothing these seemed ‘soft’ yet strong.

Once the others besides the woman warrior meet up outside the door he would introduce himself.

"Hail warriors, I am known as Floats on Thunder to my people, I am one who dances through the dream worlds and understands the ways of The Strange taught by those who have learned from Brother Raven. Here in this dream on this Iron Star Child I go by the name ‘Thund3r’ to remind myself of the difference in the dreams and as not to confuse or forget one’s self in this ‘dancing of the dream’." he stated politely and with earnest looking among their number. His odd terminology though probably make the others wonder if he’s a bit off or maybe he was hit in the head during the ordeals possibly.

As he regards the others he looks around for the one who wears the effigy of the stranger’s possible spirit guide.

(OoC: I figure I should introduce myself in character also looking around for the guard that left to do his own thing I guess.)
Jan 4, 2016 6:34 pm
Awuim remains at the intersection of the main corridor and the side corridor the weapons lab was located on. An interested observer might have noted that he nearly left his post a few times during the firefight, but dutifully opted to remain at his assigned position.

Jeapa nods thankfully at Thund3r's assistance and leads you away, Awuim following behind.

As you begin walking, the station intercom activates: "ATTENTION. CLASS 4 HULL BEACH HAS BEEN CONTAINED. INTERNAL ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE REMAINS AT DANGEROUS LEVELS. ESTIMATED TIME TO RECOVERY OF PRESSURE TO SAFE LEVELS IS FIVE MINUTES. CONTACT SYSSEC IMMEDIATELY IF YOU REQUIRE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION."

Jeapa adds "We have automated robots that attempt to patch hull beaches as soon as they occur, and we have enough reserved air to resupply the entire station several times over." She stops at a for marked EMERGENCY PERSONNEL ONLY which opens for her. You enter a small room which pressurizes as soon as the outer door closes, which is both a relief and a new torment to your tortured ears. She removes her mask and rubs her ears with her good hand, opening and closing her jaw reflexively.

"I'm headed to SYSSEC, or System Security, and I'd like you to accompany me. I'll tell you more about planetovores and I have a proposition for you."
Jan 5, 2016 1:04 pm
"My ears may be a bit bloody, but I'm all ears for what you have to say", says Eli, as they make their way to SYSSEC.
Jan 5, 2016 10:36 pm
"Well, I'm glad someone understands the ways of The Strange!" Diego says "cuz I sure as hell don't!"

He then looks to Jeapa as he mimics her action trying to find some relief from the searing pain in his ears. "What were those things?"

OOC: Diego could use some rest - down to 2 might and 50% on the others. I have him as using his Action and Ten Minute recoveries already, so he'd need an hour.
Jan 7, 2016 4:39 am
From the airlock, you enter a small service tunnel which leads to what must be an internal vehicle, which seats 10. Jeapa enters the small room/car, not unlike a carriage or train car, and straps herself to the seat with a lap belt. Various warnings flash at you, such as "WARNING: ABOUT TO ENTER LOW GRAVITY ENVIRONMENT" and "SAFETY BELTS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES".

Once you all strap in, the car soundlessly floats upwards, toward the center of Tombstone Station. You can tell that Jeapa is reading by the way her eyes move and from the flash of laser light across her eye from her strange goggles that she has donned. The car slows down towards the center of the station there is a brief moment of disorientation as the car revolves more rapidly at the center of the station, but it soon begins to move sideways, towards one of the smaller 'upper' rings.

At the end of the journey, the car reorients and then slides 'downwards' into the centrifugal artificial gravity vector. When it stops, you are thoroughly confused as to where you are in relation to where you were. Only a system terminal showing your position superimposed over an image of the station tells you you are now in the Observation deck, the smallest of the rings.

During the three minute journey, Jeapa tells you the following:

Planetovores are unimaginable creatures that inhabit the Strange, the dark energy network that underlies the universe. Where the dark energy coalesces from its raw chaotic state into stable 'islands', we call these places 'recursions'. They are very stable. Planetovores tend to feed on reducing the stable recursions into the lower potential energy state of raw Strange. As such, they are the greatest threat to life that could possibly exist.

"The one thing that we have on our side," she says, "is that planetovores cannot just simply chomp down on a recursion, like a shrimp on a barbie. They can't penetrate the boundaries, and so they need agents, or some other way to open the door. Those aliens are a manifestation of sorts, right? They are agents of a planetovore that is nearby in The Strange. They seek to reduce the potential energy of this recursion. In a word, to wreck shit."

The journey ends there with an acknowledgement that you are know at SYSSEC. Gravity is lighter here, maybe a 1/4 of normal, but you won't float around. Jeapa unbuckles her safety harness and stands, and proceeds to the door. "This is a sensitive area, but I think that I can trust you Sheilas. I need to say, however, that naughty boys will get fed to the trash compactor. Ready?"

Edited slightly for readability.
Jan 7, 2016 3:40 pm
Floats on Thunder listens intently his face solemn and nods occasionally to the explanation. To him the planetovores seemed to use the aliens or agents like a pack to hunt, to injure their prey so the scent of their blood can be followed.

"This pact can be made." he states unbuckling himself and standing.
Jan 7, 2016 5:38 pm
Eli listens intently to the description of the planetovores and takes in his surroundings as they move from level to level. When she mentions the sensitivity of their current floor, he nods in acceptance, saying, "You have my word. Beside, I've heard a story of a naughty girl, a stormtrooper, getting sent down that way, and it certainly seems a cruel fate to have."
Jan 8, 2016 12:56 am
Diego, still playing with his ears a bit, catches most of what Jeapa had to say during the trip and figures he'll figure out the details as the situation progresses. "Works for me."
Jan 8, 2016 1:29 pm
[OOC: I hand Eli a cypher to recover 5 Speed (Velocidad)]
You can trust us, ma'am. We just want to help. I smile and nod sincerely.
Jan 9, 2016 7:56 pm
Awuim barks something that sounds like "gorth" and she nods at each of you, then turns to the door. It opens as she moves towards it, and only closes after the last of you enter.

The space you enter is one big room that takes up the whole ring, except for the circular center which contains the shaft to the rest of the station. It is full of computer readouts from waist down, and glass looking out over space from waist up, with no obvious frames to the glass. The stars move slowly across the field, but you can tell that it is you that is moving/rotating when the dying binary start system comes into view. Jets of illuminated stellar material stream from a large star to the other, smaller one. About a dozen technicians, all human, but from random cultures and time-periods, fiddle with readouts, or otherwise watch the instruments.

"What is real? I asked myself that the first time I came here." Awium's voice is quite human for a dog-headed person, and he enunciates more than you have heard anyone do so before. His accent is unfamiliar and faint, more New York than you would have guessed.

"I can tell you that if got into a craft, we could sail around that binary pair, and then return here. Our instruments would tell us that we were on a journey of more than a million miles, yet that would make this the largest recursion of all. So, do we really travel that far, or does it only seem like we do? It is confusing." He begins walking, and it is clear that you should follow him.

"These instruments tell the technicians that the recursion is no bigger than Tombstone Station. If we leave, then we are entering The Strange, and as such, we chance encounters with travellers of that chaotic environment. The star system is echoed in The Strange dark energy network, and that means something. It is, in fact, why this station was built. To study it and to learn what we can."

He pauses. "You may have caught on that the station was built. Yes, we can build recursions. From what I know of yours, it is an echo of the desires of Earth. My own recursion, Arden, was also built. There are others, some private and personal, others public and accessable."

Jeapa, who had stepped away to consult with a technician, returns to you. She joins in "Tombstone Station was made to be open. You can't get to it from just anywhere, just the nearby recursions. But to keep it safe, we have to guard it. That's where I come in. The sheriff, if you will. I was born just a sheila from the backcountry, but here I'm a god-damned wrecking crew. That's pretty fantastic."

Awium smiles at her, and they nod at each other. "Ms. Jeapa has uploaded some information into my craft. I want to investigate the planetovore, and see if we can maybe stop it, or perhaps just annoy it into leaving. If you're interested, let's meet up in a couple hours in the ring below, and see what happens out there."

They look at you with the expectation that you may have questions.
Jan 10, 2016 7:05 pm
Diego has a question.

"How does one going about 'annoying' a planetvore?" Diego asks before adding "It doesn't sound like something you'd want to provoke. Wouldn't it be safer to just identify and destroy its agents?"
Last edited January 10, 2016 7:06 pm
Jan 11, 2016 8:52 pm
Floats on Thunder shrugs "I figure this warrior woman knows of a way that would not be suicide to attempt I would hope." he would state his hand going to his chest palm in. "Provoke or annoy is probably the best choice of words, something large enough to swallow what you know as the world you come from is not something we can appease easily, if it stay it may stop looking at this place we are in where we can see it's agents and hunt them and go to a recursion connected to this one where we are not, like my home or yours." offered up.

He would agree to a non suicidal plan it was agreeeable for people from all worlds to incline the world eaters to move on to other areas of The Strange.
Jan 11, 2016 10:01 pm
Jeapa nods. "The planetovore itself is beyond our capabilities to effect. But we can target it's agents and resources." She pauses and then continues. "You should know that we have never tried what Awium will propose to you. We don't think that it will backfire in any way. Most hopefully, perhaps we will learn something about defending all recursions from these entities."

"Lastly, it is a concern to us, too, that it may just go elsewhere. Everyone here is from somewhere else. We don't want our homes destroyed. Would we sacrifice this place if we could save a more populated recursion? Absolutely. We don't think that's the case, but if you find out otherwise, we need to know."
Jan 12, 2016 1:13 pm
Looking at everyone, I shrug. Sounds like a fine enough plan to me. Heck, all this recursion talk is still kinda confusing to me ... but I'll get it soon enough.
Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm
Eli asks, "What information do we have on the planetovore's agents and resources? For example, more information about the creatures whose heads I blew up."
Jan 14, 2016 2:27 pm
Jeapa shrugs. "Not much specifically about the agents. They're fairly focussed on whatever task they do, almost machine like. They first showed up here awhile ago, but mostly explored. Some of our team were suspicious about them and kept tabs, especially since rumours of a planetovore in the area began to surface at the same time. This is the first time that those blokes have attacked."

She continues, leaning forward and speaking more softly. "They may have a base nearby, which would be the extent of their resources. We hope."
Jan 15, 2016 10:24 pm
"Any idea where this base may be? Might be worth checking out."
Jan 16, 2016 12:54 pm
Jeapa points at Awuim, who says "Aye, gents, I do know. Fancy a jaunt?"
Jan 16, 2016 12:56 pm
"Lock and load!"
Jan 16, 2016 1:25 pm
Floats on Thunder nods, "If this is what you wanted us to wait a few hours for I think it easy enough to do." he states.
Jan 16, 2016 6:41 pm
Awuim excuses himself, as he needs to make preparations. Jeapa shows you to a small kitchen, and shows you how to get simple foods - powdered drinks, mostly, that are surprisingly filling and satisfying - and rest for a while.
You will have 2 hours to rest. If you want to make heal checks (if you have such a skill) or roll recovery rolls, please do so. As a reminder, each day, you have 4 available recovery rolls. The first takes one action, the second takes ten minutes of rest, the third takes an hour of rest, and the fourth takes ten hours of rest. The effects of a recovery roll are usually 1d6+1 total recovered points, split from pools of your choosing.
Jan 16, 2016 11:57 pm
Diego will find himself a place to sit down and enjoy a powdery drink.

Putting both to Strength Pool
Last edited January 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Rolls

1 Hour Recovery - (1d6+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Jan 17, 2016 3:42 am
Float on Thunder looks through the options cocking his head to the side and nods, putting in multiple orders for mostly dry powders eventually an earthy pungent concoction is make which he places in front of the most tired looking of the group. "Drink. It is not for pleasure you can tell." he states with seriousness.

Edit: Huh well that's a fail, it will be bitter and kind of gritty, it doesn't make you feel better at all though. XD
Last edited January 17, 2016 3:43 am

Rolls

Attempting Healing Check Task Level 3 (Heal 3 to pools) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 19, 2016 7:15 pm
You rest somewhat but don't find the rejuvenation you were hoping for. Soon, the two hours has ticked by and a system terminal on the wall alerts you to proceed to ARCLIGHT E4, and displays directions.

{On top of any other recovery or healing you did, the 1 might damage that you took from decompression will heal.}

Also, everyone take 1 xp for learning what you did about planetovores. Gameplay will pick up in a new thread.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.